Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I am pro-arms, but mainly for comedy reasons. I don't remember ever seeing them work well in something that's supposed to be serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They work great in Stormland and Lone Echo/Echo Arena

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Octodad VR when?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Two things I learned watching the Tested interview.

HL:Alyx still simulates arms, it just doesn't display them. So that you can't do something silly like close a door with your hand on the other side. Also, when you teleport, the game models you pathing through the space in between point A and point B, so the AI still gets to see you move and react to it.

I'm feeling confident that Alyx will be both fun and comfortable.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Preordered HLA about 10 minutes ago. A thing I never do :stoked:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AndrewP posted:

Also I think I'm in the minority with this but I don't get the appeal of having arms rendered. They're never doing exactly the right thing and I find them distracting. Meanwhile with only hands my brain fills in the rest nicely.

Are elbow trackers going to be a thing?

It helps with parsing what's gonna get shot/seen by enemies, and general immersion. The trick is to stop mentally insisting on where they should be and accept that's where your VR arms are. Elbow and knee trackers are already A Thing, they went in with the latest SteamVR update.

All I get out of floating hands is "where are my arms?"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I dunno I’ve got a ton of hours in rec room which also has floating hands and it never bothers me

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Calipark posted:

Don't be so dramatic. The game is going to be fine as is without it being fully smooth locomotion based.

Personally I'm happy it doesn't have stuff like full-body presence and the depth of physics interaction Boneworks attempts. Since it allows the design team to focus on the core experience instead of a bunch of experimental stuff that would end up janky and less impactful.

Boneworks is cool and all but you can tell it didn't get the design iteration love it needed. VR is still a new concept so there's plenty of time for Valve and everyone else to figure out how to best ground VR players without making them puke after 30 minutes of play.

Plus HLA's high comfort level is gonna bring new devs into VR, so we'll certainly get more experimental stuff as a result. Being a designer myself I know the limitations of HLA are gonna spur people to expand, mod, and make their own VR games with the depth they want.

Its hardly being dramatic.
You know what kind of scene we aren't going to get with teleportation designed games? Chase scenes.
Imagine running away from a big mob of enemies or some kind of impending doom and needing to do a jump to get across something to safety, say from one rooftop to another, where you can just barely make it and you have to grab on to the edge of the roof and pull yourself up. This is awesome with smooth locomotion, but would be boring as gently caress with teleportation and would almost certainly not be included by a developer making a teleportation designed game.
Use a little imagination about how a teleportation designed game might remove a lot of elements commonly used in other games to great narrative and dramatic effect because you are always essentially standing still. Locomotion is an inherently critical element towards first person games and if you design yourself around the most common form of locomotion you end up cutting down on the offered gameplay and narrative elements.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Its hardly being dramatic.
You know what kind of scene we aren't going to get with teleportation designed games? Chase scenes.
Imagine running away from a big mob of enemies or some kind of impending doom and needing to do a jump to get across something to safety, say from one rooftop to another, where you can just barely make it and you have to grab on to the edge of the roof and pull yourself up. This is awesome with smooth locomotion, but would be boring as gently caress with teleportation and would almost certainly not be included by a developer making a teleportation designed game.
Use a little imagination about how a teleportation designed game might remove a lot of elements commonly used in other games to great narrative and dramatic effect because you are always essentially standing still. Locomotion is an inherently critical element towards first person games and if you design yourself around the most common form of locomotion you end up cutting down on the offered gameplay and narrative elements.

Yes this is why it would be terrible for smooth locomotion to become the standard

>:]

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Yes this is why it would be terrible for smooth locomotion to become the standard

>:]

It's been the standard forever, even lone echo has it, it just uses arm pushing to initiate :)

Lone Echo has that tunnel scene, which wouldn't appear in a teleportation designed game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Teleportation doesn't mean no chase scenes, it just means something like there are doors in the way, or there's more stuff you have to interact with to buy time like pulling down shelves and whatnot. Everything can be designed around!

Big jumps to get away from enemies are weaker in VR, due to the fact that you uh, can't actually jump that high nor far. Wall climbing, however, is waaaaay better. Lone Echo still has everyone beat for making great use of zero g, which is the one environment that really allows for all of that and making it feel right.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Teleportation movement limits room design and exploration too; instead of using the entire area games tend to place interactibles in focused hotspots so players aren't hopping around too much.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I don't know poo poo about Half Life beyond memes and and mostly sim in VR and have an Index so was all whatever but after spending some time in the environments they just released holy moly I can't wait for the 23rd. I didn't realize VR could even look like that with current technology. I run Steam home at 170%ss and recently upgraded to a 2080 in a 3570k machine. Pulling 120 fps except when looking at posters and poo poo on a wall and even when the fps drops there's no noticeable jank, jitter or shimmer. Of course this are just environments and the game might run different but the quality bodes well, v polished.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Thoatse posted:

I don't know poo poo about Half Life beyond memes and and mostly sim in VR and have an Index so was all whatever but after spending some time in the environments they just released holy moly I can't wait for the 23rd. I didn't realize VR could even look like that with current technology. I run Steam home at 170%ss and recently upgraded to a 2080 in a 3570k machine. Pulling 120 fps except when looking at posters and poo poo on a wall and even when the fps drops there's no noticeable jank, jitter or shimmer. Of course this are just environments and the game might run different but the quality bodes well, v polished.

Valve classically have been very good at optimization. Very very good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

KakerMix posted:

Valve classically have been very good at optimization. Very very good.

I really hope Valve put together a Source 2 SDK sooner rather than later for VR game development.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man that Walking Dead game is actually pretty fun. I did the first “Day” and it was a pretty short and sweet experience of getting spooked, it also really made me wish I had another pair of hands with all the inventory finagling you gotta do. Like an extra chest slot for a spare melee weapon would be a lifesaver.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm stuck in the Walking Dead thing, I hope I'm not loving anything up by going back home all the time, but in Walking Dead you eventually get a picture, and you find out exactly where that picture was drawn, but it's crawling with goons who shoot you in the face for even thinking of walking over to that area, and I'm a little at a lost what they're expecting me to do.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

New Teaser of Lies Beneath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHEo1KtJtmM

edit: and a good showing of how Table Tennis plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpUCR8cutHE

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 7, 2020

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Right before the bookmarked spot in that video they're discussing how they needed to design the teleport mechanic in a way that allowed the level designers to build traversal-based gameplay, and how they wanted to make sure the player is aware that you're traversing the space rather than teleporting across it. They've thought about this.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whelp, went back to Boneworks and encountered those jumping spiderbots for the first time in the sewers. I was standing at the end of a tunnel with a huge drop into a big room below, and holy gently caress do those things jump really, really loving high. First time in a long time I had to rip off my headset and NOPE the gently caress out of there - comically enough the last time I had to do that was years ago with Duck Session by the same developer.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Whelp, went back to Boneworks and encountered those jumping spiderbots for the first time in the sewers. I was standing at the end of a tunnel with a huge drop into a big room below, and holy gently caress do those things jump really, really loving high. First time in a long time I had to rip off my headset and NOPE the gently caress out of there - comically enough the last time I had to do that was years ago with Duck Session by the same developer.

Even more comically: that's what you are supposed to do, in game! The spiders are virtual headsets, that latch onto your head and you can see another view inside them, you have to take them from your head and remove them.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm stuck in the Walking Dead thing, I hope I'm not loving anything up by going back home all the time, but in Walking Dead you eventually get a picture, and you find out exactly where that picture was drawn, but it's crawling with goons who shoot you in the face for even thinking of walking over to that area, and I'm a little at a lost what they're expecting me to do.

You can sneak around and not kill anyone, but later doing so gets pretty hard. It’s a lot easier to shoot people in the head from hiding than to try to sneak past them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

New Teaser of Lies Beneath
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHEo1KtJtmM

edit: and a good showing of how Table Tennis plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpUCR8cutHE

Does table tennis do skill based matchmaking? Because no way do I feel like loving around getting worked over by the Serena Williams of table tennis

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

As someone who hasn't been following VR for a while (and does own a Rift) can someone point me to the skinny on the Index (decent unbiased review?) and if it's worth :10bux:?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Does table tennis do skill based matchmaking? Because no way do I feel like loving around getting worked over by the Serena Williams of table tennis

the only multiplayer games of eleven i've had all started with me chilling playing the amateur bot when I get a notification that someone wants to play, and of the dozen or so matches I've played i've been outskilled by quite a large margin... but none of the games were bad, they were all fun, and more than half of the people I played gave me tips on how to play better.

the same thing happened when my sister tried it for the first time, she accepted the game invite without thinking and halfway through (with her losing terribly) the other player was trying to show her how to serve properly :eng101:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

slidebite posted:

As someone who hasn't been following VR for a while (and does own a Rift) can someone point me to the skinny on the Index (decent unbiased review?) and if it's worth :10bux:?

Consensus seems to be that it's by far the best HMD available if you can afford it.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

slidebite posted:

Unquestionably the best VR headset. What you get for that extra $600 is not what you could consider "a good deal". But some people can afford luxury and that is what it is.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Boba Pearl posted:

If you wait until the bell tolls all the live humans go home. I got stuck shortly after that section because my next quest didn't seem to want to activate, though, so use at your own risk, I don't know if waiting had an effect on the next quest going bonkers for me.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ralith posted:

Consensus seems to be that it's by far the best HMD available if you can afford it.

and you don't have goon eyes

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

RandomBlue posted:

and you don't have goon eyes

We talking about extreme Down’s syndrome here or something else?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

caldrax posted:

If you wait until the bell tolls all the live humans go home. I got stuck shortly after that section because my next quest didn't seem to want to activate, though, so use at your own risk, I don't know if waiting had an effect on the next quest going bonkers for me.

The time limit cancels active quests, once the bell tolls you really just have to get out.

Regarding dealing with humans, in my playthrough I used both stealth and went all-out with combat and fared fine with both. Explosive barrels (or explosive anything) are really effective at taking out groups, stealth mechanics work mostly the same as everywhere else; stay quiet, low and turn off your torch.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bad Munki posted:

We talking about extreme Down’s syndrome here or something else?

Talking about if your IPD is above or below the recommended IPD range, then you're better off with the Quest IMO. Index supports 58-70mm, if you're within a couple mm of that it'll probably be fine but depends on personal preference.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

SCheeseman posted:

The time limit cancels active quests, once the bell tolls you really just have to get out.

The quest for me was to pick up an object, I was still able to pick up that object and progress the quest, but I got a bug later that wouldn't let me progress a different quest. I don't know... I still was able to get the thing. Other people on the steam forums have said that's how they moved past that particular part too...

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

slidebite posted:

As someone who went from Rift CV1 to Index last summer, the headset is loving miles better, like crazy better. Much higher resolution image, clearer lenses, larger FOV, more comfortable... Just a superb headset.

Tracking is excellent. Lighthouse base stations have longer range than Rift sensors and they don't require that multiple stations can see your head/hands at all times, so a large space that needs 3-4 Rift cams will generally work with 2 base stations. Cabling is tidier, as they just plug into power outlets, instead of having to run cables back to the PC.

I miss Oculus Home and its native support for pinning windows in your view. You can accomplish this in SteamVR with various third-party products, though.

SteamVR appears to have mouse cursor alignment issues if you use an ultrawide monitor. It's annoying as hell. I gave up on fixing it and just bought Virtual Desktop.

There is a button on the headset that lets you open the SteamVR interface and click things as you look at them. It's nice when I'm in my sim rig, as I don't have to keep a controller nearby.

The Index/Knuckles controllers are a mixed bag. Having both a touchpad and sticks is very nice in some games (like H3VR, which puts movement on sticks and gun functions on pad quadrants), but the finger sensors are largely a gimmick and I miss the Touch's grip buttons. I've ranted about this before, so here you go:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3901021&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post500203522

Oh yeah, the Index has incredible audio. Its little speakers are massively better than the Rift headphones. This really shines in games with great sound design, like Elite Dangerous and RaceRoom RE.

All in all, my Rift has been collecting dust since I got the Index. I wish Touch controllers worked with Lighthouse sensors, but the Index headset is so much better, crazy better, that I will live with the faults of the controllers.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I bought H3VR. What's the recommended control scheme? I tried traditional twinstick but the experience wasn't very good, with the whole "turn on/off the movement on each controller to be able to interact with the weapons properly".

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I bought H3VR. What's the recommended control scheme? I tried traditional twinstick but the experience wasn't very good, with the whole "turn on/off the movement on each controller to be able to interact with the weapons properly".

Arm Swinger, I was surprised at how loving good it is.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Arm Swinger, I was surprised at how loving good it is.

How do you turn around? (beyond doing it in real life)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turin Turambar posted:

How do you turn around? (beyond doing it in real life)

hit A or X to snap turn

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Yes, you can go so insanely fast and have a lot of control at the same time. Good for running from patrols in take and hold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been setting up an upgraded computer this weekend. It definitely runs the Windows VR stuff way more smoothly but man, it still feels like it's just multiple tiers of rickety software getting in the way to set it up or do anything more (e.g. SteamVR). Even just getting Windows to consistently accept the controllers was a pain, and now SteamVR is just broken for some reason. At least I've spent enough time playing with computers to know how to start looking for solutions, but I feel like things are gonna have to get way more streamlined before I'd ever recommend it to folks who just want a simple fun time.