Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wonder which of these nations they want to Fiverr development through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It doesn't have to be mega man I just like the competitive race format more than anything else by a whole lot

There's actual tension and mistakes and stuff

It's like watching the sports ball

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't had PS+ since 2014-2015 and randomly wanted to see what the precise period was and what games I'd claimed in that time and boy does sony's store setup not let you do that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you haven't had ps plus how did you claim the games :confused:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I want to see what games I claimed back when I did have PS+ to know what I'd have access to again if I ever resubbed. I can guess based on online resources and memory (I know I played both DmC PS3 and Transistor through it), but it'd be nice to have an exact list.

Motto fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 7, 2020

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1236153313172705280?s=20

Finally, Kojima makes a game in a theatrical aspect ratio.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Motto posted:

I haven't had PS+ since 2014-2015 and randomly wanted to see what the precise period was and what games I'd claimed in that time and boy does sony's store setup not let you do that.

on the ps4 at least if you go to library it lets you see the games youve purchased and games you got through ps plus on that account

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

heres a cool sim/puzzle kind of game ive been playing today about rejuvenating a wasteland (my post history etc) and its pay what you like and fun

https://vfqd.itch.io/terra-nil

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Motto posted:

I want to see what games I claimed back when I did have PS+ to know what I'd have access to again if I ever resubbed. I can guess based on online resources and memory (I know I played both DmC PS3 and Transistor through it), but it'd be nice to have an exact list.

Ohhhh yeah you have to check that on the ps4 itself, there's a tab for it in library.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

gdq races are almost always the worst. hard to follow if you arent already familiar with the games, once one person dies or messes up some other way thats usually it for them, commentary is weaker cuz theyre trying to talk up both players instead of just talking about the run. not a fan of most of them. theres always some exceptions tho, like the super metroid low % race where each player died off one by one until there was only one person left who could finish. that one was badass

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Yeah speedrun races are kinda weak because once your behind all your can do is hope the other person plays worse.

They should have a ruleset where you race just individual stars in sm64 and the loser gets to pick the next one so there's less punishment for a single mistake and a chance to do counter picks for what you know the other player struggles with

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm fine with GDQ races if they wind up being pretty close, but the three way races need to go. The person that gets stuck in 3rd place hell gets a "they're not out yet though! The other two can make mistakes!" then they never get mentioned again.

Was watching the X1-X3 race the other day and after it became clear the third team botched a trick super hard they just stopped getting mentioned at all. I couldn't help but feel for the guys because the commentators only bounced off the first two teams so they just kinda silently played some megaman.

Also I never used Amazon really outside of one or two things in the past. Why is the Zero/ZX collection like 50-60 bucks on it while it's 30 everywhere else. I mentioned it earlier but it's still kind of blowing my mind that the markup is that loving drastic :psyduck:

E: Goofy poo poo like the Mario Maker relay race is fun though. I like that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The one I was watching earlier was fun because both runners would make tiny mistakes so they were really fighting for the lead

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

precision posted:

It doesn't have to be mega man I just like the competitive race format more than anything else by a whole lot

There's actual tension and mistakes and stuff

It's like watching the sports ball

Check out my internet friend Smight's youtube channels, he arranges a lot of these kind of things.

I remember there were good tournaments of Nuclear Throne, Downwell, Donkey Kong Country and a 2 vs 2 LTTP Randomizer.

In fact he and noted speedrunner Authorblues recently started a new show called Speed Bump, which is intended to get people racing and setting world records on games that don't have big speedrunning communities.

Last week they had a Sutten Hakkun puzzle game race with a couple of people competing for the world record. Next week there's gonna be a Rising Zan the Samurai Gunman race, which I'm pretty stoked about. These are all open competitions btw, if anyone feels they're hot poo poo with Rising Zan they can just pop in.

Smight <- Regural channel, has LP stuff and the Arcade Pit episodes and Speed Bump. Oh, the Arcade Pit is his main thing, it's a gameshow style retro game challenge thing, it's really cool.
Stream Archive <- A lot of one-off races and some of the tourneys are here

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

E: Goofy poo poo like the Mario Maker relay race is fun though. I like that

yeah i like those

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Okay, I beat AI: Somnium Files. I think the writing is definitely at the top of the series, only beaten out by Virtue's Last Reward, because that game is basically a miracle and borderline perfect. The 10000% best part is that it doesn't rely at all on pseudoscience and still manages to have really good twists. All of the supernatural/sci-fi elements are incredibly simple - all of the wild poo poo in the game permeates from one rule and once you learn the rule you can pretty much piece everything together. All of my early-game theories started to fall into place the more info I got, which feels great. Because of the more grounded nature of the game, there's less "wait what the gently caress?" twists and way more "I loving KNEW IT" twists.

My main complaint with the game is how the plot is very heavily concentrated in two routes, to the point where the rest could be essentially totally removed from the game and it wouldn't change the game from a mystery standpoint at all. In VLR, jumping back-and-forth was important not just for plot reasons, but to get a central grasp over the story. Conversely, this game only has five "routes," and three are character-specific endings that have emotional wrap-ups - two are great and then one is basically a joke ending. They're really well written, but at the same time I was annoyed at the lack of plot movement because man I REALLY wanna know who's killing these people out there and this isn't giving me ANY clues! In VLR, even in the emotional scenes, you were always moving closer to the truth, which just isn't true here.

Still, it was really good. I'm a total sucker for murder mysteries which is why I love Persona4, and this game is just a really solid murder mystery.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I read all of Paean to SMAC and it was very good. I encourage anyone who enjoyed that game to check it out.

I have had Age of Wonders Planetfall installed here because of Gamepass, maybe I'll finally load it up. I don't imagine it will be anywhere near as good as SMAC (if it's good at all) but might as well see for myself

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

do some blind speedrun races

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i don't think i've ever tuned in to a GDQ or similar thing and found something i wanted to watch

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Races are almost universally worse than solo speedruns. The more racers the worse. The one exception is randomizers, or other games where you can have people race on the same seed of a game where you have to route on the fly

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

you should lay down with a cup of tea and watch a jrpg speedrun

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Races are almost universally worse than solo speedruns. The more racers the worse. The one exception is randomizers, or other games where you can have people race on the same seed of a game where you have to route on the fly

i dont even like randomizer races for gdq cuz its even harder to follow with both players taking different routes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That Arcade Pit is pretty funny stuff yo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

The one exception is randomizers, or other games where you can have people race on the same seed of a game where you have to route on the fly

FF4 Free Enterprise is really dope

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Okay, I beat AI: Somnium Files. I think the writing is definitely at the top of the series, only beaten out by Virtue's Last Reward,

???

Did you mean a different game? VLR is the 2nd game in a different series.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

precision posted:

That Arcade Pit is pretty funny stuff yo

Well you're in luck, it's been going on for 4 years so there's quite the backlog!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i enjoy the speedruns that really sequence break the poo poo out of the game in unexpected ways via weird coding and poo poo like that

but i think my problem with speedruns is i don't play enough video games to know how most of them are supposed to go, so that basically just leaves me with the zeldas and a few marios and i've seen all the cool runs of those

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

???

AI is the same author so people think of it as zero escape-ish even if its not actually the same series

It is zero escape ish and might even obliquely be the same universe, though it's about completely different things

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I beat a new game I'll pretty often go watch the world record for it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

When I beat a new game I'll pretty often go watch the world record for it

Still my favorite Speedrun, where Griffin McElroy talks to himself and no one else about Gone Home speedrunning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoX43tebnwg

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Waltzing Along posted:

cheetah7071 posted:

AI is the same author so people think of it as zero escape-ish even if its not actually the same series

Same author and also same fundamental game structure. Like, having the branching timeline flow chart is a huge Zero Escape thing and bringing it over into the new game feels like justification enough to group them together

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Still my favorite Speedrun, where Griffin McElroy talks to himself and no one else about Gone Home speedrunning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoX43tebnwg
dammit why does so much good griffin content have to be paired with that guy

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RIP https://twitter.com/GIBiz/status/1235960832862937088

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

dammit why does so much good griffin content have to be paired with that guy

Yeah, like I tried watching other series where that person is in and... he adds nothing? He's a complete blank, how did he ever build up a following in the first place

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, like I tried watching other series where that person is in and... he adds nothing? He's a complete blank, how did he ever build up a following in the first place
i wish that griffin would do content with Jacob or Nathan from Drawfee because they are the perfect kind of "yes and" sidekick without trying to 'out-funny' each other

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I loaded up Age of Wonders Planetfall, looked at the factions and the tech tree and immediately got bored and bailed lol. I would probably rather go back to Endless Space 2 or Stellaris

"Food Production I" what kind of basic-rear end glossed over malarkey is that

If your 4X / grand strategy game doesn't have a coherent theory of political change or ideological model I honestly don't want to even look at it in 2020

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 7, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPvK2p28Pho

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I think Cool Games Inc was legitimately funny but 90% of the Carboys or Skyrim stuff I just don't enjoy even a little bit. Just force Griffin and Justin to make random videos together. I love the Car Mechanic Simulator episode where they just gently caress around for a half hour or whatever

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think Cool Games Inc was legitimately funny but 90% of the Carboys or Skyrim stuff I just don't enjoy even a little bit. Just force Griffin and Justin to make random videos together. I love the Car Mechanic Simulator episode where they just gently caress around for a half hour or whatever
they barely use the mcelroy family youtube except to mirror podcast episodes and then do one monster factory every two months :|

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I loaded up Age of Wonders Planetfall, looked at the factions and the tech tree and immediately got bored and bailed lol. I would probably rather go back to Endless Space 2 or Stellaris

"Food Production I" what kind of basic-rear end glossed over malarkey is that

If your 4X / grand strategy game doesn't have a coherent theory of political change or ideological model I honestly don't want to even look at it in 2020

The secret is that Planetfall isn't a 4X or a grand strategy game at all. It's 95% tactical battles and then the other 5% of the time you click a "make this town gooder at stuff" button before going back to more battles.