Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Played my first AOS. Game ended with a Magmadroth trying to take a 4 point objective (for my opponent) from my thunderers. They got a turn of clear shooting but I couldn't drop them back far enough to avoid a charge in the next turn. Thing charges them and does it's best, but I make good saves and only take one wound. I think I'm fine then discover it has all this extra end of combat stuff. 2 guys die because they hit it with gun butts. It flicks it's tail and kills another. I fail battleshock, the last two will flee. I reroll battleshock because of the honour bearer. One will flee. My turn. The last dwarf, a doughy gunnery sergeant, unloads 5 of the absolute best and brings this bastard thing right down on the objective.

I have won by 7 points. It sounds like a big margin but all I had left was one true dwarf with a gun and a gunhauler contesting a deadlocked objective off in the distance. I need to give this dude a name. I wonder how you say Hotter Than Hot in Khazalid.

E: I like this game. Lesson learned today; always be approaching at ramming speed. Always coat your skyvessels in mines and torpedoes. I can't wait to get the Ironclad up and running so I can ram some poo poo. I heard the admiral sucks, but the admiral actually owns and he can hang off the side hitting nerds with a hammer then sail off flipping the bird screaming at your dudes to reroll their ones. Endrinmaster was underwhelming but I think I just need to bubblewrap him in more riggers (who are loving rad in combat, I was very surprised).

JBP fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Seraphon Rules Update!

You pick between the Starborne - Lizardmen fresh from summoning and still kinda energy beings - or the Coalesced - the Lizardmen who have become more physical and made homes in the Mortal Realms. Presumably this is mandatory like Cities of Sigmar and Slaves to Darkness.

Universal Allegiance Abilities
  • Contemplations of the Ancient Ones - A single Slann can swap between spells in the Lore of the Ancient Ones at the end of each hero phase.
  • Sacred Asterisms - Pick from one of three benefits for your army. Shown is Hunter's Steed - +1 to run and charge.
Starborne Allegiance Abilities
  • Summoning is restricted to these guys.
  • Lords of Space and Time - unchanged.
  • Unfeeling - all Bravery values are set to 10, rather than what's on the warscroll. This means stuff isn't Bravery 10 across the board anymore.
Coalesced Allegiance Abilities
  • No summoning - what you see is what you get!
  • Predatory Fighters - +1 attacks to Jaw weapons. Presumably this is any weapon with the word "Jaw" in the name.
  • Scaly Skin - -1 damage taken from all attacks (to a minimum of 1).
  • Unnamed effects - ignore the negative effects of terrain on your half of the table, and ignore Bravery modifiers.
Sub-faction Allegiance Abilities
  • Dracothion’s Tail - Stormcast deep strike.
  • Fangs of Sotek - +3" to move for Skinks in the first battle round. HOLA SKINKS!
  • Koatl’s Claw - +1 to hit for Saurus that charge that turn. Command Trait - Whenever you use a command ability, get it back on a 4+.
  • Thunder Lizard - Stegadons are battleline (maybe).
Warscroll changes
  • Skink Oracle on Troglodon is now a full fledged wizard with +1 to casting, dispelling, unbinding and no range limit on dispells or unbinds. Also, he now has a mortal wounds spell!
  • Saurus Warriors gain 1 rend on their clubs (!) and +1 attack to their spears or clubs in units of 15 or more. Maybe unit sizes have been tweaked judging by that wording, who knows.
Bound Endless Spells
Special versions of the Predatory Endless Spells are available to Seraphon. They can only be moved by the Seraphon player.

TL;DR: The book appears to be attempting to split the difference between the "YOU NEED SLANN" playstyle they currently have and one more focused on Saurus and line troops. No mention of Saurus Knight buffs, but they HAVE to be better if Saurus are getting a treat or two. LOL that they're still trying to make predatory endless spells worth it.

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Mar 3, 2020

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I have a massive seraphon army like this

And couldn't imagine it any other way.

That's very cool. Will they be getting new models along with the book? I actually recognize some of them from like 15+ years ago.

Also the night goblin troops, I actually had some of those. That could be a fun army to collect...

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
The only new Seraphon model for this release just appears to be this terrain piece:

They might do more in the future but so far there's no indication of it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I was hoping for a refresh on Saurus Warriors and Knights at least, but no dice so far. They look goofy compared to what the AoS art shows and what Total Warhammer 2 does.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Maybe it's the flat paint job but that terrain piece looks like someone's budget terrain build using gift boxes or like the terrain pieces you get from the starter boxes by turning the sprue divider upside down.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
/\
It fukn sucks :(

The Deleter posted:

LOL that they're still trying to make predatory endless spells worth it.

Sounds like a straight forward fix, can't wait to try them.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's really bad. It really screams afterthought.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i like the coalesced. giving lizzies the Mawtribes treatment where they're as like the Old World bunch as you want, but more so. :hmmyes:

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Maybe it's the flat paint job but that terrain piece looks like someone's budget terrain build using gift boxes or like the terrain pieces you get from the starter boxes by turning the sprue divider upside down.
the spindly lightning poo poo does it no favours. or the recycled saurus banners.

it'll probably look good with some converting + weird stuff on top instead of another boring stargate. otoh it's going to cost £30+ and you can make a crude ziggurat out of any old poo poo if you're going to heavily convert it anyway.

e: an A+ spot for those Slann blood bowl tokens to go

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 3, 2020

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Beyond the vines and whatsit on top it looks almost exactly like the lizardman themed pyramid my friend made out of random stuff that'd otherwise go into the recycling 15 years ago down to the Saurus warrior standard tops used as detail on scenery.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

My Tempest of Souls and paint set arrived, putting together it now. Is it normal for some of the shoulder guards to have a gap? Kinda wish I did have glue. and green stuff. oh and spraypaint and

Super fun though.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's more common than you think. You can use your clippers to shave down the pegs to get a closer fit. Glue helps as well.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

CODChimera posted:

My Tempest of Souls and paint set arrived, putting together it now. Is it normal for some of the shoulder guards to have a gap? Kinda wish I did have glue. and green stuff. oh and spraypaint and

Super fun though.

For little gaps you could use Mr Surfacer 500. It works like a charm is might be easier to work with than Green Stuff.

This beautiful green man below had a bad gap where the two halves of the skull connect and now you can't see it at all:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

CODChimera posted:

Super fun though.

Yeah those snap fit stormcasts have a seam down the middle of the shoulderpads. Particularly problematic on the unit leaders which have a fancy lion head scuplted into the pad.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Speaking of that lame terrain piece, it's a terraforming engine that garrisons up to 20 models, and if a wizard or priest is inside it, you can zap another terrain feature to dump a few mortal wounds on anyone near it.

You're probably leaving a single Skink Priest in there to use it, and its dependant on other terrain pieces - I can see it punishing Blades of Khorne players with their shrine or Deepkin who hug their shipwrecks. The darker color scheme looks better, but it desperately needs more detail and gubbins adding on the top to not look anaemic. I wouldn't really bother taking this at all?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The Deleter posted:

Speaking of that lame terrain piece, it's a terraforming engine that garrisons up to 20 models, and if a wizard or priest is inside it, you can zap another terrain feature to dump a few mortal wounds on anyone near it.

You're probably leaving a single Skink Priest in there to use it, and its dependant on other terrain pieces - I can see it punishing Blades of Khorne players with their shrine or Deepkin who hug their shipwrecks. The darker color scheme looks better, but it desperately needs more detail and gubbins adding on the top to not look anaemic. I wouldn't really bother taking this at all?

I can't actually tell if you like it or not mechanically. Seems like it punishes players using terrain, terrain effects and holding objectives near terrain. For 0 points you wouldn't bother taking it?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I mean I don't like the model at all but the effect seems fine? I'm not a fan of army terrain in general I think is the thing.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

The Deleter posted:

I mean I don't like the model at all but the effect seems fine? I'm not a fan of army terrain in general I think is the thing.

Put straps on the bottom, turn it upside down, use as skink travel-bucket, hth

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

That model is awesome and I bought one even when I don't play the lizards. If I can convince more people to buy one, we'll make Tenochtitlan on a table :ese:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah those snap fit stormcasts have a seam down the middle of the shoulderpads. Particularly problematic on the unit leaders which have a fancy lion head scuplted into the pad.

That's cool just checking.

The nighthaunt models are great, actually really most of the new stuff looks good

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if Old World viability is now a factor in design, since that pyramid looks straight out of Lustra.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
STEGAGEDDON

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
Aiming for that total war crossover, I see.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

STEGAGEDDON

Someone was having loads of fun writing that. :D

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
It's not quite on the level of Mr Arkhan's Wild Ride for me, but it's very good. I wonder if this'll break out like Gristlegore did. I'd rather face this because dinosaurs are way cooler!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Gets around the problem of ugly saurus models at least!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Seraphon leaks are out. There's going to be rage. Astrolith bearer loses rerolls, bastiladon loses rend ignore, carnosaur isn't fixed, skinks can't fallout. Massive damage nerf to ripperdactyls. Pretty much nerfs across the board (except saurus, salamanders (I think) and troglodon!) The battalions im not sure what they do because not in English but super expensive. Didn't see the sheet for knights but if saurus warriors got a lift I'm optimistic.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Seraphon leaks are out. There's going to be rage. Astrolith bearer loses rerolls, bastiladon loses rend ignore, carnosaur isn't fixed, skinks can't fallout. Massive damage nerf to ripperdactyls. Pretty much nerfs across the board (except saurus, salamanders (I think) and troglodon!) The battalions im not sure what they do because not in English but super expensive. Didn't see the sheet for knights but if saurus warriors got a lift I'm optimistic.

Lol if they make the ugliest loving models this side of marauders a mainstay of the army that could be all about rad goddamn dinosaurs

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Solemn Sloth posted:

Lol if they make the ugliest loving models this side of marauders a mainstay of the army that could be all about rad goddamn dinosaurs

The warriors or the salamanders? Salamanders are pretty good now.

Saurus knights lost the -1 rend ignore. Move 2 more inches, have a 4+ save but still don't have rend on anything.
Ripperdactyls lose the movable toad and just get reroll hits for one round they choose, lose exploding hits except on a nat 6. Carnosaur jaws are -1 rend and he has a 4up save with 12 wounds (lol). Eotg is down a die and can't do d6 mortals anymore, can only summon saurus warriors now and in groups of 10 on a lucky roll.
And sorry I misspoke, saurus guard are 2w, regular warriors are still 1. Skinks are I think completely useless now.

Hope those battalions are amazing. They'll need to be.

Edit: might be balanced for batalions though. Skinks might have neat synergy they had to account for.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 7, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm amazed that they're not doing awesome new lizard warriors.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Man, as soon as I saw that skinks start collecting box, I knew they were going to be poo poo in the new tome.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Wary fighters defined the unit. They're not skinks as we knew them.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

JBP posted:

I'm amazed that they're not doing awesome new lizard warriors.

Is there any kind of road map regarding new armies or units? I had a look but it just seems like high elves at the moment?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Harvey Mantaco posted:

The warriors or the salamanders? Salamanders are pretty good now.

Saurus knights lost the -1 rend ignore. Move 2 more inches, have a 4+ save but still don't have rend on anything.
Ripperdactyls lose the movable toad and just get reroll hits for one round they choose, lose exploding hits except on a nat 6. Carnosaur jaws are -1 rend and he has a 4up save with 12 wounds (lol). Eotg is down a die and can't do d6 mortals anymore, can only summon saurus warriors now and in groups of 10 on a lucky roll.
And sorry I misspoke, saurus guard are 2w, regular warriors are still 1. Skinks are I think completely useless now.

Hope those battalions are amazing. They'll need to be.

Edit: might be balanced for batalions though. Skinks might have neat synergy they had to account for.

I was meaning the knights, the warriors look dated but knights are awful models

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

CODChimera posted:

Is there any kind of road map regarding new armies or units? I had a look but it just seems like high elves at the moment?

The road map is a secret

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

There will be high elves as well as an all giant army

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
All of the new warscrolls are up on the site. I'm still looking through them.

I think it's important not to freak out. A fairly consistent trend in AoS 2.0 is moving the power of an army off a unit's warscroll and into Allegiance abilities. It's presumably so what whoever decides to just slam some models on a table doesn't have any complicated effects to remember. We've seen it with Blade of Khorne, Sylvaneth and Cities of Sigmar already. Time will tell if it works out for the lizards.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

a £30 terrain piece might give them the edge :shepface:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I will shoot these lizards with guns until there are no more lizards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Goonhammer's review of the new Seraphon is up:
https://www.goonhammer.com/age-of-sigmar-review-seraphon/

Looks like a fun army to play and to fight against.