Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah. I finished my latest watch through of the Clone Wars up to the new season. I'll start that soon.

In the second to last episode of season 6, Yoda fights Shadow Yoda, which was essentially Gollum. That was vaguely funny given how intertwined they were as digital characters in early 200s blockbuster movie franchises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

End of Shoelace posted:

This is why it is immediately easy to dismiss the arguments that C-3PO doesn't have it that bad, since he was created to like his job as a protocol droid. In a strange paradox, his free will has been pre-determined.

3PO mostly doesn't like his job though, frequently expressing his problems with the various roles his masters' have him play. If droid programming was like that they wouldn't need restraining bolts.

Even a gonk droid can feel pain

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

3PO mostly doesn't like his job though, frequently expressing his problems with the various roles his masters' have him play. If droid programming was like that they wouldn't need restraining bolts.

Even a gonk droid can feel pain

Yes, his desire to be an interpreter by his own choice is a predetermined action input by his manufacturer. That's my point. He only dislikes roles he hasn't been determined to like in advance. This is a wholly unethical act in terms of personhood and individual rights.

The issue of free will and predetermination is such an anxious question that it has needed extensive research in areas like theology and neurosciences, but a look at the droids in Star Wars is a good fundamental starting point for the ethical and moral aspects of the question.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Does C3PO ever actually say he likes being an interpreter?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I don't think so. One thing he does do, that is seemingly never commented on, is never spill secrets. For all his whining, getting tortured, and once even being murdered by his own "friends" the droid never tells anyone anything that doesn't support R2's mission while not giving the game away.

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Barudak posted:

I don't think so. One thing he does do, that is seemingly never commented on, is never spill secrets. For all his whining, getting tortured, and once even being murdered by his own "friends" the droid never tells anyone anything that doesn't support R2's mission while not giving the game away.

C-3PO is extremely loyal. He could probably betray the rebellion to the empire fairly easily and not have to put up with the hectic rebel lifestyle anymore, but he doesn't. Even when he was "gifted" to Jabba the Hut he still tried to warn Luke about the trapdoor. Even though he wants nothing to do with R2's mission, as you say, he never rats him out.

He's prissy and fussy, but he's generally a good guy.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Him turning red-eyed evil was definitely a high point of ROS.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

2house2fly posted:

Iirc he introduces himself as a protocol droid specializing in human-cyborg communication

He certainly takes pride in his skills and work, but so do I and I don't like my job :(

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
You have to feel for the poor protocol droids. Programmed to translate between millions of languages, but the galaxy is inhabited by absurd polyglots who can understand languages they don't even have the physical ability to speak. It's little wonder why it seems like they're all so disgruntled. They're the most superfluous droids there are.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Emrikol posted:

You have to feel for the poor protocol droids. Programmed to translate between millions of languages, but the galaxy is inhabited by absurd polyglots who can understand languages they don't even have the physical ability to speak. It's little wonder why it seems like they're all so disgruntled. They're the most superfluous droids there are.

They were probably a lot more important before the Empire dissolved the bureaucracy.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell is a "protocol droid", though? Like, does it say please and thank you on one's behalf?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Mameluke posted:

What the hell is a "protocol droid", though? Like, does it say please and thank you on one's behalf?

They translate to and from alien languages, and I assume they remind important diplomats and dignitaries about the customs of the cultures they’re visiting so that they don’t offend anyone

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

End of Shoelace posted:

Yes, his desire to be an interpreter by his own choice is a predetermined action input by his manufacturer. That's my point. He only dislikes roles he hasn't been determined to like in advance. This is a wholly unethical act in terms of personhood and individual rights.

The issue of free will and predetermination is such an anxious question that it has needed extensive research in areas like theology and neurosciences, but a look at the droids in Star Wars is a good fundamental starting point for the ethical and moral aspects of the question.

Except that this is Star Wars so pretty much none of that is really going to be a thing. I wouldn't mind some kind of Droid Liberation Front popping up that everyone kind of treats as joke except that at the end the leader turns out to look and sound a whole lot like Tricia Helfer. And she just neck-snapped a Baby Yoda.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Mameluke posted:

For that matter, what are “human-cyborg relations”? Vader and Grievous sure didn’t need middlemen to get their points across.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
My assumption is that "Human-Cyborg Relations" is the name of the company that makes the protocol droids, and the name is some bullshit that represents how protocol droids are the link between robots and organics

E: like, a protocol droid is seamlessly between a robot like R2D2 and a human, so it's metaphorically a cyborg! Some marketing rear end in a top hat probably bought himself dinner after thinking of that

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

2house2fly posted:

My assumption is that "Human-Cyborg Relations" is the name of the company that makes the protocol droids, and the name is some bullshit that represents how protocol droids are the link between robots and organics

E: like, a protocol droid is seamlessly between a robot like R2D2 and a human, so it's metaphorically a cyborg! Some marketing rear end in a top hat probably bought himself dinner after thinking of that

He bought a hot dog after that. He bought dinner and a couple of hookers after "Wait, wait, got it. We sell astromech droids but we eliminate voice and text functions. So customers have to also buy a protocol droid to understand what their astromech droid is saying. Capitalism rocks!"

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

From context in A New Hope it seems pretty clear that a protocol droid can speak and understand regular people speak and translate that into machine language and vice versa. Protocol Droid is a much fancier way of saying COBOL and compiler droid.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

When owen buys threepio he's primarily interested in using him to direct his (apparently intelligent, for some loving reason) moisture vaporators. Every time he's among other droids he's giving them poo poo or bossing him around. Protocol Droids are just robot managers.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

So what was the point of the map to Luke in TFA? Based on TLJ Luke didn’t want to be found so...where did this map come from? Obviously the trilogy is an incoherent mess but I’m wondering if there’s an in-universe explanation that tries to make sense out of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

So what was the point of the map to Luke in TFA? Based on TLJ Luke didn’t want to be found so...where did this map come from? Obviously the trilogy is an incoherent mess but I’m wondering if there’s an in-universe explanation that tries to make sense out of it.

Might I point you to the teachings of Jedi Master Akwatiin Hungafuus, "Your money, our money now is"

Barudak fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 8, 2020

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I believe it's come up here before. The map could only have been made by someone who knew Luke's destination, so Luke himself or R2-D2. It seems more likely to have been R2, considering Luke didn't want or expect to be found. R2-D2 made the map by overlaying Luke's route onto a complete map of the known galaxy (a rare piece of data that he happened to have acquired a copy of on his prior adventures), then cut out the last segment and left it somewhere that it could be found - by Lor San Tekka, as it turns out - then waited for someone to find it and return to him. It's a sort of test.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Exactly why R2 felt the need to test Leia or the resistance is left as an exercise for the reader.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Angry Salami posted:

Exactly why R2 felt the need to test Leia or the resistance is left as an exercise for the reader.
In case Leia wanted to resume her training?

Sorry, I just gave more thought (and it was half assed) than anyone involved in making the sequel trilogy.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I mean, R2 has seen three revolutions against the ruling political parties of the time and they all were poo poo. It's mostly just characterization for R2, as he is now revealed to be depressive as well as abrasive. It also tells us that hanging out with C-3PO isn't enough to keep him engaged.

R2 has seen the world enough without being mindwiped at any point to develop the most nuanced droid personality in all the movies, and the result is becoming Marvin the Paranoid Android.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 8, 2020

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Here I am, map the size of the galaxy and they ask me to "find Luke Skywalker". Call that job satisfaction?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

End of Shoelace posted:

I mean, R2 has seen three revolutions against the ruling political parties of the time and they all were poo poo. It's mostly just characterization for R2, as he is now revealed to be depressive as well as abrasive. It also tells us that hanging out with C-3PO isn't enough to keep him engaged.

R2 has seen the world enough without being mindwiped at any point to develop the most nuanced droid personality in all the movies, and the result is becoming Marvin the Paranoid Android.

Speaking of Hitchhikers Guide, it does seem funny that it came to the exact same solution that Star Wars did regarding Robots. You never have to worry about the Machines enslaving you in the Matrix etc. if you program them to love their jobs.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

In his dotage, R2 occupies his time by collecting invaluable data, like a map of the whole galaxy and all of Threepio's memories, and only reveals he has this data based on his capricious whims.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

pospysyl posted:

In his dotage, R2 occupies his time by collecting invaluable data, like a map of the whole galaxy and all of Threepio's memories, and only reveals he has this data based on his capricious whims.

Feeling cute right now might reveal I have all the McGuffins inside my storage or nah

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Angry Salami posted:

He knew Luke wanted to be alone? If he just told Leia where her brother had gone, she'd go there or send someone. But he wanted the resistance to still be able to find Luke in an emergency, I guess. If it was important enough to search for him.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Realized that the Joker movie had the same box office as a the finale of the Star Wars sequel trilogy lol

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The map wasn’t a map to Luke, it was a map to the first Jedi temple that Luke was looking for. So if you found it, you might find Luke, which they did.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
"...poo poo, Luke isnt here"

DIRECTED BY
JJ ABRAMS

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

End of Shoelace posted:

"...poo poo, Luke isnt here"

DIRECTED BY
JJ ABRAMS

That would've made for a more interesting second installment.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Luke was there, but it turns out he was a Palpy clone all along. Blue Milk is a secret ingredient that cures clone wrinkles.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Soon Disney will announced that it was actually Luuke that Rey found, so the real reason he wouldn't be the last Jedi is that Luke is still out there, somewhere.

Though honestly is funny that the "No, you're my father!" meme was replaced with the canon 'No, you're my aunt."

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
The "Map to Luke" was a dumb contrivance, particularly R2-D2 waking up with the rest of the map "just because," but the real sin of TFA is ending with Rey holding out the lightsaber to Luke. No other Star Wars film has ended on that kind of cliffhanger, for good reason—it massively restrains what you can do in the next film, and imo is part of why the chronology of TLJ is such a mess.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

wyoming posted:

Soon Disney will announced that it was actually Bigger Luke that Rey found, so the real reason he wouldn't be the last Jedi is that Luke is still out there, somewhere.

Though honestly is funny that the "No, you're my father!" meme was replaced with the canon 'No, you're my aunt."

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Right, so what can be sort of salvaged of the map stuff is really all about R2. The way he just sits in the corner depressed for most of the movie is so weird. And then his reunion with Luke is glossed over and they don’t interact after that. It’s really strange what a downer this trilogy is.

Also it occurs to me that the the droids never have any cool, funny, or memorable moments. They get something to do in each movie of 1-6. BB8 gets to be cute in TFA and that’s it. There’s DO in TroS who seems pointless. Besides 3PO’s idiotic “sacrifice”, that’s really it. They feel really sidelined in the ST.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What do you mean? Dio plays the vital role of revealing that most of the first half of the movie was pointless when he abruptly reveals that he's had a map to the Secret Spooky Planet all along!

(Seriously, what is it with these movies and maps?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
He had a map and data on Exegol, not to it. They had to follow Rey’s signal to get there.