Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Hahah totally 100% agree here man.
Which brings me to a thing. I've devoured up to s3 and cannot stop watching to write stuff down in a post.

Send halp

ps
watching other sci-fi shows shows how better story in B5 is, good continuity and all that stuff.
Makes watching modern stuff almost unbearable.

lol, this is almost as good as writing it down episode by episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You have been infected, your only hope is to infect others with the love for B5 so you can live vicariously through their first watch.

Gooble gobble, one of us!

And some of Sheridan is definitely Default Bruce Boxleitner, but he grows on you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CainFortea posted:

Yea sorry. From now on you will compare the story depth and continuity of every new show you watch to B5 and they will be found wanting.

Been working my way through The Expanse and it's pretty chewy. Can't believe there's no thread for it.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Data Graham posted:

Been working my way through The Expanse and it's pretty chewy. Can't believe there's no thread for it.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3906760

:)

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Data Graham posted:

Expanse is excellent.

I was going to type more, but that really covers it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Much obliged. (drat, third page?)

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Data Graham posted:

The first episode didn't really grab me hard when I tried it a while ago, but I've been meaning to keep trying again at some point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

The first episode didn't really grab me hard when I tried it a while ago, but I've been meaning to keep trying again at some point.

The Expanse takes a few episodes to get to full-speed, but it's well worth it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Takes up to episode four to really ramp up, then it won't let you go. Not as bad of a lead-in as B5. :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The clips I've seen kinda rub me the wrong way. I think the concrete thing that bugs me most is all the lighting. It must've been a real challenge to arrange all those lights so that there's lights everywhere, but everything's still dark and dim, at best only slightly illuminated.

Weird how one of its claims is how "realistic" the world is when the lighting, the thing that takes up the entirety of every shot, is so weird and unrealistic. They even have those silly inside-helmet face lights that have no realistic purpose beyond aesthetic convenience.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SlothfulCobra posted:

The clips I've seen kinda rub me the wrong way. I think the concrete thing that bugs me most is all the lighting. It must've been a real challenge to arrange all those lights so that there's lights everywhere, but everything's still dark and dim, at best only slightly illuminated.

Weird how one of its claims is how "realistic" the world is when the lighting, the thing that takes up the entirety of every shot, is so weird and unrealistic. They even have those silly inside-helmet face lights that have no realistic purpose beyond aesthetic convenience.

Gotta be able to look over and see bossmang's face on a job to know dey okay, Beltalowda.

Also it's still a TV show. Helps to see the cast's faces onscreen. Otherwise you get the season one Martian helmets that, while functional, you have no idea who is in which spacesuit.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
BSG did the same thing with Viper pilot helmets if I’m remembering correctly. It’s just a modern production thing that’s doable. Meh.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I really liked Sinclair, he was chill and calm and didn’t keep spouting inspirational quotes.

Hard same. I liked Sinclair. He was chill. I think the character gets a lot of flak for his chillness being mistaken for blandness.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

To be clear, I'm not complaining about the helmet lights that just about every depiction of future astronauts uses, I'm complaining about how everything else in the scene is meticulously unlit, at least not outside of some dim weirdly colored lighting.

The helmet lights are just an example of how there is no realistic reason for the way it's lit, as well as a demonstration of how it sure is better when things are fully lit so you can properly see them.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Expanse is awesome because it's the best representation of gravity and inertia. It's actually painful to go fast. Impossible to survive above a certain level.

Every other show just hand waves it away.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Also, just the simple reality of even near future propulsion requiring you to accelerate and then decelerate to reach an orbit of your target destination.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TraderStav posted:

Expanse is awesome because it's the best representation of gravity and inertia. It's actually painful to go fast. Impossible to survive above a certain level.

Going fast is fine. It's getting to fast quickly which squeezes you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Grand Fromage posted:

Takes up to episode four to really ramp up, then it won't let you go. Not as bad of a lead-in as B5. :v:

yeah but it's not 1994 anymore, gramps

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Anyway I assume there's more to the show than realistic orbital mechanics? Like what is it actually about and maybe something about the characters.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Going fast is fine. It's getting to fast quickly which squeezes you.

Touche

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Anyway I assume there's more to the show than realistic orbital mechanics? Like what is it actually about and maybe something about the characters.

Oh yeah, absolutely. I'd say that the worst part of the show is the orbital mechanics and acceleration. It's 10/10, enjoy it.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

It’s more like the last season of B5 than anything before if that helps.

Near-future, harder sci-fi, where any alien factor is even more enigmatic than Kosh.

Give it a try. It’s based on some good source material I’m glad I read before there was ever going to be a show, and the writers put out a decent book a year like clockwork unlike some authors. Though if you like reading, I’d suggest that before watching, but either works.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

yeah but it's not 1994 anymore, gramps

Correct, it's the age of post-Lost mystery boxes and meandering attempts at chasing the mythical "prestige" status where entire first seasons of a show can be prologues to the real story. You should count your blessings that it only takes four episodes to kick into gear and answers most of the questions it raises in the same season.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Behold, one of the reasons I don't watch modern television.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TraderStav posted:

Babylon 5 doesn't :colbert:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I have read the books but only seen a couple episodes of season 1 and some clips from later seasons. It's a lot like John Wick, they have that one thing they concentrate on (orbital mechanics) the rest ranges from meh to total crap.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikusR posted:

I have read the books but only seen a couple episodes of season 1 and some clips from later seasons. It's a lot like John Wick, they have that one thing they concentrate on (orbital mechanics) the rest ranges from meh to total crap.

Ah, yes; random clips out of context from scattered episodes. The true merit by which a show can be judged. :hmmyes:

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

While it's not entirely accurate, the best way I can describe the general show's structure is it's similar to the way Game of Thrones runs; There's several disparate main characters with their own agendas, whose stories just intersect as the plot demands. James Holden is very much the Jon Snow of the show, but he's a lot more pragmatic in his choices and willing to play dirty if need be. There's a whole lot of factions wanting their own goals, and everyone's little cold-war infighting is about to get tossed over by a big new development that begins with the first episode and escalates across the solar system.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I haven't seen Game of Thrones either and, unlike The Expanse, don't intend to.

McSpanky posted:

Correct, it's the age of post-Lost mystery boxes and meandering attempts at chasing the mythical "prestige" status where entire first seasons of a show can be prologues to the real story. You should count your blessings that it only takes four episodes to kick into gear and answers most of the questions it raises in the same season.

Yeah, I didn't dislike it, just haven't found the motivation to continue yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Babylon 5 doesn't :colbert:

That’s fair. B5 uses the jump gate way of traversing the galaxy. Which I really enjoyed that they explored that quite a bit through the series. Native species to it, getting lost if not tethered, fleets hiding there, etc.

drat. B5 rules

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The Expanse books just got worse as each new one came out, so I didn't really bother with the show.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

mossyfisk posted:

The Expanse books just got worse as each new one came out, so I didn't really bother with the show.

How shortsighted of you then, because the latest season managed to take THE WORST book and make it a fairly good season of TV!

Lot of strange and uninformed opinions in a thread about such a great and literary show.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TraderStav posted:

That’s fair. B5 uses the jump gate way of traversing the galaxy. Which I really enjoyed that they explored that quite a bit through the series. Native species to it, getting lost if not tethered, fleets hiding there, etc.

drat. B5 rules

There was USS Copernicus that was launched before jumpgates.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

MikusR posted:

Tell me more about this ship! I don't recall it. Was it able to go in between systems? Did it take generations?

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011

Longbaugh01 posted:

How shortsighted of you then, because the latest season managed to take THE WORST book and make it a fairly good season of TV!

I'd take Cibola Burn over the last three any day of the week.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

TraderStav posted:

Tell me more about this ship! I don't recall it. Was it able to go in between systems? Did it take generations?

It took 100 years to get to Babylon 5. https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/The_Long_Dark

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikusR posted:

You know that must suck for cryogenic colonists; Getting all hyped to be the first to go explore and settle a new world, going into stasis... and getting woken up by some slack-jawed nobody of a soldier or civilian telling them that they were leapfrogged ahead by decades due to the invention of some method of FTL since they left.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know that must suck for cryogenic colonists; Getting all hyped to be the first to go explore and settle a new world, going into stasis... and getting woken up by some slack-jawed nobody of a soldier or civilian telling them that they were leapfrogged ahead by decades due to the invention of some method of FTL since they left.

The 1944 story “Far Centaurus” by AE van Vogt uses that idea: a sleeper ship takes 500 years to reach another planet but when it arrives, the crew wake up and discover the planet is populated because FTL travel was invented while they were traveling, and now a trip there from Earth takes just a few hours.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
FTL more like FML

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MikusR posted:

If anyone has an interest in colony ships in fiction look up Seedship on your phone App Store (definitely Apple, I think Anroid as well) - quick to play through each game and very moreish.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I’d try to get something in my contract that if FTL is invented before I arrive they’ll send a tow truck to come get me off the slow boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Imagine being onboard on one of 90000 corporate megaships sent out before ftl was invented