Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"How was the virus able to bring down the Old World in all of its power and splendor? Was it extremely deadly? Could it pass through normal protection? Was it immune to disinfection measures?"

"No, young one, its incubation period was longer than the average amount of sick leave people were given."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

I haven't heard of any asian folks getting jumped yet but I know it's a matter of time.

Someone crossed the street when they saw my Japanese-American wife walking in their direction yesterday. If I’m out in public with her and someone throws shade, I’m gonna make it a point to cough in their face.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm seeing less of the "California is going bankrupt and that's why everybody is fleeing!" nonsense these days. It was fun making GBS threads all over the people repeating that because it was so easy to disprove.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stravag posted:

It's more just the chud portion of California being more vocal lately. Theres a cop on a discord who keeps referring to it as KKKalifornia and Kommiestania. Go figure hes a piece of poo poo right?

This in the GIP discord? Name and shame.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Stravag posted:

Theres a cop on a discord ... hes a piece of poo poo

Ah, but you repeat yourself.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Donnie just kicked out Mick Mulvaney as his acting Chief of Staff, sent him to be Special Envoy to Northern Ireland, and is bringing in Mark Meadows as his Chief of Staff.

In the middle of a pandemic :psyduck:

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1236099449006567425?s=19

https://twitter.com/TabathaSouthey/status/1236100608467308544?s=19

https://twitter.com/brianefallon/status/1236099991023861760?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 7, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/seattletimes/status/1236040021951385600?s=19

AMZN following MSFT in doing their one good deed of the year

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/tennessee-man-ordered-removed-germany-based-service-concentration-camp-guard-during-wwii

some parts of the justice system are still working, slowly.

quote:

A U.S. Immigration Judge in Memphis, Tennessee, has issued a removal order against a German citizen and Tennessee resident, on the basis of his service in Nazi Germany in 1945 as an armed guard of concentration camp prisoners in the Neuengamme Concentration Camp system (Neuengamme).

After a two-day trial, U.S. Immigration Judge Rebecca L. Holt issued an opinion finding Friedrich Karl Berger removable under the 1978 Holtzman Amendment to the Immigration and Nationality Act because his “willing service as an armed guard of prisoners at a concentration camp where persecution took place” constituted assistance in Nazi-sponsored persecution. The court found that Berger served at a Neuengamme sub-camp near Meppen, Germany, and that the prisoners there included “Jews, Poles, Russians, Danes, Dutch, Latvians, French, Italians, and political opponents” of the Nazis. The largest groups of prisoners were Russian, Dutch and Polish civilians.

Judge Holt found that Meppen prisoners were held during the winter of 1945 in “atrocious” conditions and were exploited for outdoor forced labor, working, as at other Nazi camps, “to the point of exhaustion and death.” The court further found, and Berger admitted, that he guarded prisoners to prevent them from escaping during their dawn-to-dusk workday, and on their way to the worksites and also on their way back to the subcamp in the evening.

At the end of March 1945, with the advance of British and Canadian forces, the Nazis abandoned Meppen. The court found that Berger helped guard the prisoners during their forcible evacuation to the Neuengamme main camp – a nearly two-week trip under inhumane conditions, which claimed the lives of some 70 prisoners. The decision also cited Berger’s admission that he never requested a transfer from concentration camp guard service and that he continues to receive a pension from Germany based on his employment in Germany, “including his wartime service.”

“Berger was part of the SS machinery of oppression that kept concentration camp prisoners in atrocious conditions of confinement,” said Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski of the Department of Justice’s Criminal Division. “This ruling shows the Department's continued commitment to obtaining a measure of justice, however late, for the victims of wartime Nazi persecution.”

“This case is but one example of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s commitment to ensuring that the United States will not serve as a safe haven for human rights violators and war criminals,” said Assistant Director David C. Shaw of U.S Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s (ICE) Homeland Security Investigations (HSI), National Security Investigations Division, who oversees the Human Rights Violators and War Crimes Center. “We will continue to pursue these types of cases so that justice may be served.”

In 1946, British occupation authorities in Germany charged SS Obersturmführer Hans Griem, who had headed the Meppen sub-camps, and other Meppen personnel with war crimes for “ill-treatment and murder of Allied nationals.” Although Griem escaped before trial, the British court tried and convicted the three remaining defendants of war crimes in 1947.

The removal case was jointly tried by Eli Rosenbaum, HRSP Director of Human Rights Enforcement and Policy, HRSP Senior Trial Attorney Susan Masling and ICE New Orleans, Office of the Principal Legal Advisor (Memphis), with assistance from HRSP Chief Historian Jeffrey S. Richter. The investigation was initiated by the HRSP and was conducted in partnership with HSI’s Nashville SAC office.

Since the 1979 inception of the Justice Department’s program to detect, investigate, and remove Nazi persecutors, it has won cases against 109 individuals. Over the past 30 years, the Justice Department has won more cases against persons who participated in Nazi persecution than have the law enforcement authorities of all the other countries in the world combined. HRSP’s case against Berger was part of its ongoing efforts to identify, investigate and prosecute individuals who engaged in genocide, torture, war crimes, recruitment or use of child soldiers, female genital mutilation, and other serious human rights violations. HRSP attorneys prosecuted the first torture case brought in the United States and have successfully prosecuted criminal cases against perpetrators of human rights violations in Guatemala, Ethiopia, Liberia, Cuba, and the former Yugoslavia, among others.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

orange juche posted:

This in the GIP discord? Name and shame.

No a different one. As far as I know its not a goon

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

That Works posted:

I thought maybe us spending most of the decade paying russians for rides into space would help end American exceptionalism, maybe this will.

Being exceptionally bad at something sounds a bit like exceptionalism.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It would have been crueler to keep him in our prison system.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

It would have been crueler to keep him in our prison system.

But can Trump pardon a German sentence?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Deporting him is better since he probably escaped persecution in Germany.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This just means insulin will no longer be offered for sale in that state.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Midjack posted:

This just means insulin will no longer be offered for sale in that state.

It'll be interesting to see how that works. Currently there are three insulin manufacturers in the US. If two companies stop distributing insulin to that state can the third company resist 100% market dominance for even 50$? or will their long term greed hold out and just stop a flow of insulin entirely until the state bows?

edit: On the flip side I dunno how feasible it is, but if there was political will power to do it would be hard to spin up some sort of state owned insulin manufacturer. They could just undercut the competition by 50% and probably still come out a head.

edit2: You could probably capture markets in the immediate area outside of the state as well.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 7, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/AnandaRochita/status/1236107860569808896?s=19

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

We're in hellworld now

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1236053003846615040

Weeding out the most passionate portion of his voting bloc is definitely A Thing, but I'm not sure I'd count it as a strategy.

Interesting note on COVID-19 and there's some :ironicat: here given who's presumably in charge of the administration's response, but I'll let it speak for itself:

https://twitter.com/DrDenaGrayson/status/1235909923986386945

It's good news, if it ends up being something they can reliably replicate. Thailand is already busy working on it. What doctors think is happening is that the bulk of the damage being done in fatal cases is the result of the immune system going completely bugfuck, basically loving wrecking the lung tissue entirely once the virus is done doing its dirty work. It's why a lot of fatalities have seemed to be on the mend, then suddenly get a lot loving worse. That's the hypothesis, anyway, and the treatments seem to be pointing in that direction.

I don't know yet if it's the primary reason that the disease is fatal.

On fatalities...

https://twitter.com/scottleibrand/status/1236013225218469889

This is more good news. IIRC:

-> CFR - Case Fatality Rate - fatality rate as judged by number of diagnosed cases

-> IFR - Infection Fatality Rate - best estimate of what the fatality rate will be

This is more or less repeating what's already being said. COVID19 is still a lot more dangerous than the flu, still wash the gently caress out of your hands, but it paints a picture that's a bit less grim than some reports might lead you to believe. Like that 3.4% fatality rate that WHO put out (though I think they made it clear that it was primarily CFR they were referring to).

Election wise, this is a thread that I think people need to look at where it comes to Biden and his position w/ black voters.

https://twitter.com/MsPackyetti/status/1235253529582931969

Same thing goes for women being dismissed for feeling feelings about Warren being out.

Black Americans, which, make no mistake, are the backbone of the party, and women both, have not appreciated being shouted at, re: you don't know anything, you're low-info voters, you're idpol shills, or you're just goddamn idiots. And most of the people doing the shouting are white dudes, which :shrug: I mean, it's not a good look. Put women and POC out front to do your talking is what I'd tell most people. With Warren out I'll be going to Sanders, and these are things to keep in mind moving forward.

Some people won't be won over, though, and this is the part that looks bad for Sanders.

https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1235747743005642753

EDIT: Words

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 7, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Vote for D is going to be the death of us all I guess

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Old Boot posted:

Election wise, this is a thread that I think people need to look at where it comes to Biden and his position w/ black voters.

[Biden not embarrassing Obama]

I actually forgot about this fact! Joe Biden had the reputation of a gaffe-prone error machine that would do nothing but say idiotic things to stir bad headlines. Then he became Obama's VP pick and he just... didn't anymore! Worst I can think of was when he came out (lol) for gay marriage, when Obama really, really, really wanted to stick to the civil union horseshit. That finally made Obama get off his rear end to be gay and do crimes.

Also, this seems to be a trend - the states don't need the positive test results to know that the federal poo poo is hosed and public stuff needs to be shut down in the badly hit areas.

https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/1236149733300809732

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
^^^ EDIT: IIRC, U-Washington had to find a loophole around the CDC to get testing underway. That's how hosed our poo poo is w/ this pandemic, lol.

Eej posted:

Vote for D is going to be the death of us all I guess

vOv Outreach to African American communities hasn't been Sanders' strong suit, and skipping Selma, giving the appearance of assuming the youth vote would make up for it, was a bad call.

Call it dumb (tho' you probably shouldn't), but that poo poo matters, and it'll get noticed.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 7, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The thread talks about how southern black voters are very educated and just don't believe Sanders can do M4A because the health industry will never let it happen. So they will pull the lever for whoever has D.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

So better things are not possible then.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Old Boot posted:

^^^ EDIT: IIRC, U-Washington had to find a loophole around the CDC to get testing underway. That's how hosed our poo poo is w/ this pandemic, lol.

It wasn't the University of Washington specifically, it was a collaboration of Western Washington academic medical facilities created to understand the spread of the flu called the Seattle Flu Study. The loophole was that they were testing for research purposes which is not directly under the purview of the CDC.

https://twitter.com/BrianMFloyd/status/1234989036936159233?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

orange juche posted:

So better things are not possible then.

Correct. Though that doesn't mean you have to let them win easily

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It's almost like it's the system that's the problem, and the ones propping it up are the real threat to the American public :thunk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Old Boot posted:

https://twitter.com/MsPackyetti/status/1235253529582931969

Same thing goes for women being dismissed for feeling feelings about Warren being out.

Black Americans, which, make no mistake, are the backbone of the party, and women both, have not appreciated being shouted at, re: you don't know anything, you're low-info voters, you're idpol shills, or you're just goddamn idiots. And most of the people doing the shouting are white dudes, which :shrug: I mean, it's not a good look. Put women and POC out front to do your talking is what I'd tell most people. With Warren out I'll be going to Sanders, and these are things to keep in mind moving forward.

Some people won't be won over, though, and this is the part that looks bad for Sanders.

https://twitter.com/michaelharriot/status/1235747743005642753

EDIT: Words

I suspect voting for a guy who praise Strom Thurmand over a guy who marched in solidarity with Civil Rights marchers and was arrested for it, might have less to do with Joe's work with Obama, and more to do with the average Black American dem not being very left and more centrist.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

CommieGIR posted:

I suspect voting for a guy who praise Strom Thurmand over a guy who marched in solidarity with Civil Rights marchers and was arrested for it, might have less to do with Joe's work with Obama, and more to do with the average Black American dem not being very left and more centrist.

"Marched in solidarity with Civil Rights and then hosed off back to the north because he did his good deed," and has since just basically ignored the south as a campaign strategy.

Blame it all on centrism if you like, but there are some genuine missteps the Sanders' campaign has made, in that regard.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean surely there's something to be said for focusing your attention on the states that your party has a chance in hell at winning in the general.

It's great that Joe is more popular in Alabama, but it's not going to matter when the entire state stays red and the rust belt votes for trump again.

If the primary system were more attuned to who had the best electoral prospects, maybe you wouldn't be in this mess.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hmm yes Bernard has trouble appealing to notoriously conservative voters

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

What is the function that gives delegates to the states. Is it how many democrats are in office there or something?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Maybe, but NO effort doesn't look good, either. Outreach still matters. A presence matters. It's probably too late to course correct entirely, as now it'll just look like 'oh oops you guys matter, sorry!' rather than a sincere attempt to engage, but that's the risk you take. But you can't ignore the most significant base the Democratic party has if you're going to run in their primary.

EDIT: Look, I would vastly prefer Sanders to win, at this point, but lol ok nm.

VVV ok VVV

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 7, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Old Boot posted:

"Marched in solidarity with Civil Rights and then hosed off back to the north because he did his good deed," and has since just basically ignored the south as a campaign strategy.

Blame it all on centrism if you like, but there are some genuine missteps the Sanders' campaign has made, in that regard.

I dont think this is remotely true i.e. him ignoring Southern States and faux progressive overtures, but lmao if you dont recognize that blacks in the south are conservative centrist dems outside of large cities.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

What is the function that gives delegates to the states. Is it how many democrats are in office there or something?

"The pledged delegate "base" allocation is determined by the jurisdiction's Presidential vote in 2008, 2012, and 2016; and the jurisdiction's electoral vote allocation based on 2010 census. Jurisdictions beginning their process later in the cycle and neighboring states that concurrently begin their process (aka "clustering") receive bonus delegates [Call to Convention I.]."

is as much detail as can find, no actual formula anywhere. The party sets the rules for the next cycle at the nominating convention so at the root level, it's Calvinball.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

I dont think this is remotely true i.e. him ignoring Southern States and faux progressive overtures, but lmao if you dont recognize that blacks in the south are conservative centrist dems outside of large cities.

This is what that guy’s twitter thread on why “black southern voters will never vote for Bernie” boiled down to.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also lol at the guy who's acting like Bernie, Nina Turner, Danny Glover, and Cornel West didn't appear at 100+ events all over SC for throughout the last year

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
wow it looks like it turns out that the vast majority of people in this country aren't on the dirtbag left.

who loving knew?

(Most people. Most people knew)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I don't get that last tweet about "The Establishment" and how that applies to Bernie but not... Biden?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

That Works posted:

I don't get that last tweet about "The Establishment" and how that applies to Bernie but not... Biden?

Let me explain politics for at least the last several decades...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

He's saying that to Southern black voters, "the establishment" is the local Democrats who have been around forever and helped out and fought for them.