Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t get the “life is cheap in the south” bit, like life seems pretty cheap in the base game already according to the writing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope that there's an anti slaver or escaped slaves / arena fighters background, that sounds like it would be fun.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007
When are they gonna release this DLC. I can only get so hard

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t get the “life is cheap in the south” bit, like life seems pretty cheap in the base game already according to the writing

I imagine slaves will just be cheap fodder you can have in your company to throw a shield + spear onto when an actual brother gets hurt. What's the betting they have lovely stats?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I imagine slaves will continue with this games vein of denigrating anyone who has already had a difficult life.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Southpaugh posted:

I imagine slaves will continue with this games vein of denigrating anyone who has already had a difficult life.

lmao I wanted to protest but after thinking about it -- you're 100% right.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

It has event where you pillage and murder a defenseless farmstead, complete with child murder and implied rape. Its about lovely people in lovely times being lovely to each other. Its not a modern commentary.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Southpaugh posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing about the writing that rubs me the wrong way it's this.

ShootaBoy posted:

It has event where you pillage and murder a defenseless farmstead, complete with child murder and implied rape. Its about lovely people in lovely times being lovely to each other. Its not a modern commentary.

Even when you play your character as a decent person, they still are a lovely person being lovely to others. It doesn't matter how much the people of a town like me, the writing indicates I think of them only as worthy of contempt.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 7, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Given how they chose to write the refugee backgrounds, I wouldn't bet on their writing dealing with slaves in a decent way.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

ShootaBoy posted:

:whitewater:

Doesn't seem very necessary

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah good thing I started skipping dialogue boxes early

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Its not like you just stumble into it or are forced, it's pretty loving obvious what's coming when you pick the option to attack the totally defenseless farmstead so you can take their poo poo. Not to mention that basically every time you ever interact with the common people it ends with them going "Wow, I can't believe you mercenaries didn't rob and murder us." Because mercenaries are lovely, lovely people, barely better than bandits.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Man I just want to play my medieval tactics game without reading unfunny sneering every ten minnutes. The tone of the writing that isn't "mercenaries are bad people" the whole tone of the game is written with tedious edgelordery in mind. I may have found this effective when I was a teenager, but at this point its tedious, boring and frankly makes me think the writers either believe this stuff or its lazy writing. I skip most of the text in the game, having read a fair bit of it and the DLC will have me coming back for new mechanics, but not for a single moment do I expect the DLC writing to be any better than what was in the game from the outset.

ShootaBoy posted:

Its not like you just stumble into it or are forced, it's pretty loving obvious what's coming when you pick the option to attack the totally defenseless farmstead so you can take their poo poo. Not to mention that basically every time you ever interact with the common people it ends with them going "Wow, I can't believe you mercenaries didn't rob and murder us." Because mercenaries are lovely, lovely people, barely better than bandits.

You can portray unpleasant realities in video games/media perfectly well if you can write it well. But the BB guys don't have the chops for it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
best tactical game in recent years that breathes new life into a genre and doesn't sell it out by cheapening it to a puzzle, mediocre-tier edgelord writing that panders to the lowest common denominator with pseudo-historical "realism" and biotruths. its like the inverse of Into the Breach.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Currently transcribing the script of Spartacus into an .xml so I can mod in some servile uprisings as a proper counterpoint.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

that better be Spartacus the Starz TV show and not Spartacus the Fast novel

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Controversial opinion: I enjoyed the writing in Battle Brothers. :shrug: I never really got the edgelord complaints.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

Controversial opinion: I enjoyed the writing in Battle Brothers. :shrug: I never really got the edgelord complaints.

I actually enjoy it quite a bit too, but they handle touchy subjects and it certainly shouldn't be immune to criticism.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the real issue of BB's writing isn't that it is particularly edgelord-y, but that the tone of "grim outcomes in grim times, serious treatment of the squalor and filth of the period," comes across as perfunctory, like its just crossing a checklist labeled BAD THINGS THAT HAPPENED BETWEEN 200 AND 1700 AD. It's especially egregious when you contrast it with the more silly or whimsical events that can also happen, which undercuts that tone pretty badly. It's just gesturing at bad things you can do as a tonal thing but it doesn't actually let you make a living off of pillaging the countryside to get through a rough patch - you're still mostly beholden to the general "get mission, complete mission" gameloop. IMO if you're going to include a cutscene where you pillage a farmhouse, make the player play it out as a very one-sided battle.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Impermanent posted:

if you're going to include a cutscene where you pillage a farmhouse, make the player play it out as a very one-sided battle.

this is in the game though

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's the implied rape scenario that I have beef with. It's like a lovely table top DMs take on gritty.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I mean, taking a bunch of slaves and giving them weapons and the ability to use them on eg nobles seems like a fairly solid thing to do.

Email Address
Sep 11, 2004

Don't mess with STAR WARS KID
Yeah, in general I like the writing as it doesn't read as particularly edgelordy to me, but more of a stab at grim/gritty writing with a slight tonal disconnect that comes from writing in your second language.

That said, I've also never come across the implied rape dialogue, so maybe I'm just playing as too nice of a murder-hobo.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I got a real chuckle out of the melon fucker bro scenario, bit maybe it was because I'd also just gotten the horse fucker one before that.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Babe Magnet posted:

that better be Spartacus the Starz TV show and not Spartacus the Fast novel

Fast was a comrade who didn't sell out his bros we should be so lucky to have that sentiment of solidarity in this merc badn simulator

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Maybe I play this game wrong but I always choose the options like chastising my soldier who harasses the peasants even though all it does is lower his morale, or helping the caravan pull their wagon out of a ditch for no reward, or telling a child to go home without robbing them.

I've never got the impression from the writing that my squad is anything but a bunch of unruly but ultimately good-natured soldiers who keep looking at opportunities like the ditched caravan and maybe empathizing with the brigands and going "yeah I understand why they'd just rob this guy, it would be so easy, who would ever know?" but then choosing to make the right decision anyway, either because they're actually good people and are just disillusioned by the lovely state of the world, or because I am there as their leader to chisel some goddamn benevolence into this hopeless emotional wasteland.

Sure, every event has the lovely option for immoral mercenary captains but it's up to you whether that's the reality of your virtual friends and with not all that many exceptions (are there even any? I can't think of any off the top of my head but I've been playing rimworld ever since the dlc), your mercs only do atrocious things when you tell them to. Yeah it's lovely that if you choose to pillage a farmstead and then choose the more violent options you find out one of your soldiers probably raped someone, but maybe you should feel bad for clicking the button to pillage a defenseless farm in the first place.

(really I think the problem is that when you do choose to do awful things the writing generally tries to make your troops look like heroes while they do it)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 9, 2020

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe I play this game wrong but I always choose the options like chastising my soldier who harasses the peasants even though all it does is lower his morale, or helping the caravan pull their wagon out of a ditch for no reward, or telling a child to go home without robbing them.

I've never got the impression from the writing that my squad is anything but a bunch of unruly but ultimately good-natured soldiers who keep looking at opportunities like the ditched caravan and maybe empathizing with the brigands and going "yeah I understand why they'd just rob this guy, it would be so easy, who would ever know?" but then choosing to make the right decision anyway, either because they're actually good people and are just disillusioned by the lovely state of the world, or because I am there as their leader to chisel some goddamn benevolence into this hopeless emotional wasteland.

Sure, every event has the lovely option for immoral mercenary captains but it's up to you whether that's the reality of your virtual friends and with not all that many exceptions (are there even any? I can't think of any off the top of my head but I've been playing rimworld ever since the dlc), your mercs only do atrocious things when you tell them to. Yeah it's lovely that if you choose to pillage a farmstead and then choose the more violent options you find out one of your soldiers probably raped someone, but maybe you should feel bad for clicking the button to pillage a defenseless farm in the first place.

(really I think the problem is that when you do choose to do awful things the writing generally tries to make your troops look like heroes while they do it)

For anyone curious there's an actual in game stat that keeps track of this, next to your Reknown, Reputation I think it's called. Other than not raping townsfolk and abandoning caravans I think letting guys retreat when it asks you increases it. I also believe it's from an abandoned game play element since it's effects seem to be sweet gently caress all.

EDIT-I have no idea what it does, but every time that kid lies to me in the marketplace I make sure he gets his comeuppance. gently caress that kid

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 9, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

This is exactly how I read it as well.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Sometimes you find a bro that's so terrible you have to keep him just to see the trainwreck in action:

1 HP above the absolute minimum.

e: In related news, I just learned that the game can apparently crash when a bro actually dies from Webknecht poison.

Email Address posted:

Yeah, in general I like the writing as it doesn't read as particularly edgelordy to me, but more of a stab at grim/gritty writing with a slight tonal disconnect that comes from writing in your second language.
I'm fairly certain that most, possibly all, writing is still done by Casey Hollingshead. So no language issues there, but one writer with probably no editing process involved.

Either way, the writing is generally good when it goes for humor but that's the best I can say about it. I don't expect subjects like religious conflict and slavery to be handled well judging by the stuff already in the game and Hollingshead's history of racist and islamophobic RPGCodex posts.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Mar 9, 2020

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I have never ran into a situation with the writing where I thought it was going full on bad game of thrones rip off with the grim unfair world thing but I also generally pick the good guy options. If you pillage a farm the game narration is from the point of view of a guy who just pillaged a farm so yeah it probably is not going to do justice to how horrible that is. I have no trouble believing it comes off poorly but it seems unfair to talk poo poo on the whole game because the rape and pillage event was not written well.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It's not just the rape and pillage scene, which I've never gotten personally. But the overall tone of the writing is that of a sneering imperialist. Personally, that takes away from my tactical turn based mount and blade fun. It's more so a shame because of how good the game is. I'm inevitably going to get the DLC, so when I'm replaying and I come across something distasteful or belittling I'll screenshot it for the thread.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think the best example is the background descriptions for refugees. They're all about how this person is a coward because they refused to stay and fight for their home, and therefore gently caress them they deserve to die.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

And that doesn't even make sense, given how normal it was to swell armies by taking in well armed refugees. Just look at how practically everyone took in refugee armies fleeing from the Mongols, or the early history of the Goths.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

golden bubble posted:

And that doesn't even make sense, given how normal it was to swell armies by taking in well armed refugees. Just look at how practically everyone took in refugee armies fleeing from the Mongols, or the early history of the Goths.

Yeah it's because the instances of bad writing are not actual representations of some grimdark medieval historical reality, they're representations of a contemporary right-winger's imagination of what the Middle Ages were like.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

I think the best example is the background descriptions for refugees. They're all about how this person is a coward because they refused to stay and fight for their home, and therefore gently caress them they deserve to die.

Oh yeah I remember that. I figured they were trying to get across what stats will be good/bad for this background but yes it’s pretty hacky writing.

I take it as everything is written from the point of view of a mercenary captain which lends itself to be being written like a jaded dickhead who doesn’t care about people.

Comrayn fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 9, 2020

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, the middle ages also didn't have orcs, undead, or krakens either.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
There's no option to roleplay as a vaguely well-meaning but ultimately inert computer toucher. This sucks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Comrayn posted:

Oh yeah I remember that. I figured they were trying to get across what stats will be good/bad for this background but yes it’s pretty hacky writing.

I take it as everything is written from the point of view of a mercenary captain which lends itself to be being written like a jaded dickhead who doesn’t care about people.

This is what i've always taken from it. The guy who runs the merc company hates people. This is apparent in the majority of interactions he has with other people, even down to the guards where he tries to talk to you "as if you give a poo poo about what happens to the man".

Also, mandatory "it ain't that deep, bro".

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The “hunt down what’s terrorizing the villagers” missions always have that mandatory pop-up a few in-game hours after accepting it. And it’ll describe a guy who just killed his neighbour’s dog. Or a woman who’s looking for a missing child and says, “Well I think he’s mine,” or something. It’s just weirdly dismissive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Email Address
Sep 11, 2004

Don't mess with STAR WARS KID

Wizard Styles posted:

I'm fairly certain that most, possibly all, writing is still done by Casey Hollingshead. So no language issues there, but one writer with probably no editing process involved.

Either way, the writing is generally good when it goes for humor but that's the best I can say about it. I don't expect subjects like religious conflict and slavery to be handled well judging by the stuff already in the game and Hollingshead's history of racist and islamophobic RPGCodex posts.

Ack, bummer. I was definitely cutting it some slack based on that assumption.

Well here's hoping that the slave background doesn't explain that they're slaves because they're too unmotivated or smooth-brained to be free.