Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bird cooch posted:

wow it looks like it turns out that the vast majority of people in this country aren't on the dirtbag left.

who loving knew?

(Most people. Most people knew)

Ah yes, Dirtbag left. People who actually want to solve problems being dirtbags....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
And yet these are elections.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

bird cooch posted:

wow it looks like it turns out that the vast majority of people in this country aren't on the dirtbag left.

who loving knew?

(Most people. Most people knew)

:thunk:

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I hope you idiots who are working off of ideology and optimism and empathy learned how loving wrong you all are

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nope!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

bird cooch posted:

And yet these are elections.

And Trump got elected, so if we want to talk about Dirtbags...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
"Dirtbag left" is an I think self applied label by the Chapo types, not just an adjective-noun combination that dude came up with in a post.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Politics is hard, because everyone's politics are wrong but mine

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Politics is hard, because everyone's politics are wrong but mine

If your politics endorse White Supremacists, ignore system issues, and advocate for oppressing minorities, let alone caging their children, your politics are extra wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The centrist camp wants to deny the poor medical coverage, keep wages stagnant, keep people figuratively drowning in student debt, and make people literally drown due to climate change, but at least they're not dirtbags.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

BurningChrome
Jan 18, 2020

They said she cooked her own cancers for people who crossed her, rococo custom variations that took years to kill you. They said a lot of things about Chrome, none of them at all reassuring.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

"Hey I'm voting for Sanders and I don't support Biden, but maybe some of his supporters could loving cool it with being shitheads to people who might otherwise agree with them? It's making it harder than it needs to be to get people to support him."

this thread:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Maybe people think you're assholes because you keep projecting positions onto them just because they don't agree with you 100%

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Yeah this election is 100% you're a loving rear end in a top hat who wants to make people suffer with a veneer of decorum or without it, or you're not a monster. Unless you don't vote for Biden in November if it comes to that then everything that follows is your fault.

oh wait i'm too young to understand and people change or whatever the gently caress I forgot

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

shame on an IGA posted:

Also lol at the guy who's acting like Bernie, Nina Turner, Danny Glover, and Cornel West didn't appear at 100+ events all over SC for throughout the last year

While it's definitely not true that Sanders and his campaign flat-out ignored African-American voters or the South, I do think there may be something to the idea that their approach was fundamentally flawed. Remember, the message of Sanders and his campaign is that the establishment is corrupt, and that it needs to either be subverted or swept aside entirely. But the problem for African-American voters is that their most prominent and powerful political leaders are the establishment—and there's a fear among many of those leaders that Sanders and his movement sweeping aside the establishment they've spent the last 50+ years working within and building up could result in a drastic loss of power and influence for African American voters and districts (And themselves). (This was basically outright stated back in 2017 during the debate over the influence of Superdelegates on the primary process).

So as a result, when Sanders disparages "the establishment", he's disparaging many of the people who are key to winning the African-American vote—and because he despises a lot of the inter-personal politics of flattering people, buttering them up, trading favors, and/or kissing rings, it's not as though he can (or will) soften those blows by personally appealing to those same people to tell them "No, don't worry, you'll still have a place in my administration, and if you endorse me, or don't endorse Biden, that'll help make sure of it." It's telling, for instance, that the only person in the Congressional Black Caucus to endorse him was Ilhan Omar—and it's even more telling that after Jim Clyburn endorsed Biden (which may have singlehandedly saved Biden's campaign!) it came out that Sanders hadn't even bothered to reach out to the Number 3 Democrat in the House (i.e. perhaps the single most powerful actively serving African-American elected official in the country). That is the kind of thing that many older African-American voters are going to notice, and make them question how much representation they might actually have in a future Sanders administration, no matter how many promises towards diversity he makes.

Of course, I'm not going to say it would have been easy or even possible for Sanders to get more of these voters on board—Elizabeth Warren tried hard, and failed, as did Kamela Harris and Corey Booker. Meanwhile, even if he's had bad views and bad votes in the past, Joe Biden has the advantage of having worked closely with African-American congressional leaders for decades—someone like Jim Clyburn knows he has a place in a future Biden administration, and that counts a lot for both him and his constituents.

Sanders isn't down and out yet, we all know that, and there's still time for Biden to implode or for more African-American voters (And voters of every other stripe) to come around to Sanders' vision. But Sanders' failure to appeal not just to black voters but to black leaders has been crippling to his campaign, and any attempts to rectify it (Such as his recently released Obama ad) is going to be too-little, too-late in the eyes of many.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 7, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hooray for the status quo!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

If the system is leaders of demographics are doing things because they know they'll be taken care of, and in turn their constituents believe they will be taken care of, versus electing people who want to improve the situation for everyone, that's pretty hosed. And a lot of people are down for not fighting against the notion that this is how it has to be but we'll see how it turns out long run.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Current event: I've been watching Paradise PD on Netflix because I hate myself, and they show Tucker Carlson claiming that gypsies are a threat to America.

They didn't make it up: https://youtu.be/QBBRgvXXPFg

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

maffew buildings posted:

If the system is leaders of demographics are doing things because they know they'll be taken care of, and in turn their constituents believe they will be taken care of, versus electing people who want to improve the situation for everyone, that's pretty hosed. And a lot of people are down for not fighting against the notion that this is how it has to be but we'll see how it turns out long run.

I mean, what you have is a historically disenfranchised minority who had to fight and bleed for every drop of power not wanting to give up that power. And one of the quotes in that twitter thread was telling—it's not that people might not believe Sanders when he says he's for racial justice, or don't appreciate his civil rights record, it's that when the mat is down, and he has to make a choice: Will he choose Medicare for All, or African-American interests? Will he fight for their agenda as hard as he fights for his agenda? And even if a rising tide lifts all boats, will that address the leaks their boats already have?

You can say "of course he'll fight for everybody," and poo poo, I believe that too. But you can't blame people who lived through segregation and race riots for being skeptical, and what Sanders needed was to get people within those African American power structures to rise up and say he'll fight for them. But for whatever reason, he couldn't or didn't get the support of those people, and now his campaign is suffering for it.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
A lot of people either just don't think that he can actually do the things he says or they don't think that he is electable for their own reasons.

I mean I'm a loving cripple. I could really really use some help,I just don't think he has the structure to move anything. The turn out has sadly proven me right. It's just a lot of internet noise.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 7, 2020

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
EDIT: ^^^ Pretty much, yeah.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

While it's definitely not true that Sanders and his campaign flat-out ignored African-American voters or the South, I do think there may be something to the idea that their approach was fundamentally flawed. (etc)

Thank you, yes. This is more what I was angling to say, just didn't word it too well.

Handsome Ralph posted:

"Hey I'm voting for Sanders and I don't support Biden, but maybe some of his supporters could loving cool it with being shitheads to people who might otherwise agree with them? It's making it harder than it needs to be to get people to support him."

this thread:

I'm on Twitter a lot. I'm used to it by now.

The thing that I've seen get missed a lot, though, is that a lot of what Sanders says feel like empty promises. He's got a consistent platform, yes-- but procedure side looks shaky.

Do I want M4A? gently caress yes, I have a chronic condition that requires me to get yearly FMLA for my continued employment, lest absenteeism gets me fired. I have been fighting for adequate care my entire drat life, and would be forced into bankruptcy if I had to pay premiums that factored in a pre-existing condition. Calling me some do-nothing idpol shill or w/e is absolute bullshit; I'm allowed to be nervous about the course my life takes. And my issue was, has always been, about little things that look like big red flags.

Like, between refusing to look at SCOTUS and the filibuster, seeming to cling to those established bits of procedure without really being flexible about it, I don't understand how he plans to push M4A through with any immediacy. AOC basically came out and said 'well yeah we'll probably have to do what Warren said,' but there's no real roadmap present for how Sanders is going to navigate obstructionism in the Senate specifically (there's been talk of reconciliation, but IIRC there's only so many times you can manage that).

'I'm afraid Rs will do a bad thing' is a lovely reason to keep in place a procedure that's ratfucking you - that completely ratfucked a shitton of Obama's agendas - and saying you won't do anything about two stolen SCOTUS seats is poo poo when Roe v. Wade is currently being overseen by Justice Shouty McSexpest. Things like that make people nervous, esp. where it comes to some really big promises.

Take that as you will, I guess. I'm still going to support Sanders, but I don't think all criticism against him is completely invalid, simply because he has big structural-change ideas that look good on paper.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

bird cooch posted:

A lot of people either just don't think that he can actually do the things he says

I don't understand this part personally. He will have as much power as Electing Centrist McStrawMan -D New York- until/unless the senate flips, because unless a bill is a total give away in some shape or form the Republicans aren't gonna allow anything through in a bid to race to the bottom.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

I don't understand this part personally. He will have as much power as Electing Centrist McStrawMan -D New York- until/unless the senate flips, because unless a bill is a total give away in some shape or form the Republicans aren't gonna allow anything through in a bid to race to the bottom.

Exactly. If you think that Joe Biden has a better chance of getting lukewarm liberal policies through the Mitch McConnell's Senate, you haven't been paying attention. The right is already calling Biden a godless communist.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

Exactly. If you think that Joe Biden has a better chance of getting lukewarm liberal policies through the Mitch McConnell's Senate, you haven't been paying attention. The right is already calling Biden a godless communist.

I haven't seen a single person in this thread argue that Biden would have a better chance.

EDIT: Okay, for a more substantive response, I expect Biden to cling to old rules because decorum and whatever. I did not expect Sanders to make similar noises. He has seen the craven poo poo the Rs do, you can expect the Rs to do it-- so why shy from taking a jackhammer to their favorite bag of tricks, and ruthlessly developing your own?

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 7, 2020

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Old Boot posted:

I haven't seen a single person in this thread argue that Biden would have a better chance.

bird cooch posted:

A lot of people either just don't think that he can actually do the things he says

Is that not the implication here?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Will he choose Medicare for All, or African-American interests? Will he fight for their agenda as hard as he fights for his agenda? And even if a rising tide lifts all boats, will that address the leaks their boats already have?

What the gently caress is this dumb poo poo? M4A and black interests are not mutually exclusive.

We're a bunch of white guys on the internet talking about black people like they're some sort of monolith, and they're not. There are no competing Black and Bernie agendas.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Fister Roboto posted:

Is that not the implication here?

No, it's not. 'Devil you know' having its thumb on the scale doesn't invalidate the argument. Both of them can be do-nothing, but Biden might have a better PERCEIVED shot at self-arrest, and self-arrest is the thing a lot of people are really desperate for.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The grandpa who can't stop smelling women's hair and touching them?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Seems like the voters (who are mostly old af) don't agree.

Sanders is running chopped up ads of Obama's voice from a ton of speeches trying to make it sound like he endorses him for fucksake so it seem like the campaign understands that too.

People have their own thoughts and feelings on candidates. I have personal grievances with Sanders from his time on the VA committee which was really his only time in charge of anything.

Others just don't buy into bluster, they have been sold a bill of goods too many times. Lots of people just straight up don't believe him.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 7, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Lol

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Biden certainly sucks, but he doesn't ask me to think or engage with any issues, and that's pretty nice.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

So on one side we have the GOP, who lie and outright ignore the track record, behavior, etc. of their guy and on the other we have the DNC pushing Biden, whose supporters also ignore the track record, behavior of, etc. but they're really jazzed he was Obama's VP and likes decorum.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The big bad dnc keeping young people from bothering to vote.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ultimately there is no excuse i can comprehend for the miserable turnout, now of all times

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Really glad that the DNC is pushing forward the guy who until like 3 months ago was really big into denying poor people access to abortions

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
There's no clout and no way to meme or document the actual voting for social media.

You can't meme voting irl. Gotta get off your rear end and go to a wierd place with old people and push a button.

It's just a joke bro.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I donated $50 to Bernie last night. :feelsgood:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Show of hands, who thinks, between bernie and biden, that Biden has better odds of winning the GE than Bernie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

If you know a better way to appeal to the republican voters, I'm listening