Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It'd be the Vive one. More cores helps a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Anything to let the Index do wireless yet?

unfortunately no. i'm hoping someone will reverse engineer the vive wireless firmware so i can buy an index and hook it up since valve seems to be uninterested in wireless.

SCheeseman posted:

It'd be the Vive one. More cores helps a lot.

yeah, and especially since i have vive pro which is quite a bit higher resolution than the normal one. very simple games like beat saber or well optimized poo poo like serious sam games run pretty well and i don't notice any artifacting, but if i try to run skyrim vr i see mpeg artifacts the size of my fist everywhere lmao

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I haven’t seen benchmarks, but I’d be extremely surprised if there’s a significant performance difference between a 3950x and 3900x or even a 3700x.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

sincx posted:

What's a reasonable guess for the launch date for Zen 3?

I think it finally may be time to upgrade from this 6900K, but I'll miss the quad-channel memory.

If you go by the rumors, Zen 3 will launch in Epyc form sometime in the second half of the year. There isn't much info at all about the consumer versions. I would say Q4 2020 at the earliest, but probably 2021.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

As much as I'm looking forward to Zen3, I'm ok with it happening early next year. I went a little overboard with the 3900X upgrade cycle, and the PS5 is looming in late 2020.

My only planned upgrade for the rest of this year is to put a decent (read: not an A320 open box special) mobo in my desktop and replace its 1600 with a 3600.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some disappointing Zen 3 info. Apparently when AMD put "7nm+" on previous slides about Zen 3... they did not mean TSMC 7+ process, with EUV and all the other changes that go with it. They apparently just meant an "improved version" of 7nm.

AT posted:

Astute users might notice that Milan / Zen 3 has been listed as ‘7nm’, where previously it was listed as ‘7nm+’. We’ve got a whole news post on why AMD has made this change, but the short of it is that AMD initially put ‘7nm+’ to mean ‘an advanced version of 7nm’. When TSMC named its EUV version of 7nm as N7+, people had assumed they were the same, and AMD wanted to clarify that Milan is on a version of 7nm, and the exact version will be disclosed at a later date. In the future the company will avoid using ‘+’ so this doesn’t happen again (!).

The upside is that AMD did say that Zen 3 should be in consumer form by end of year... so yeah, probably Q4 at the earliest.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15594/updated-amd-ryzen-and-epyc-cpu-roadmaps-march-2020-milan-genoa-and-vermeer

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Cygni posted:

Some disappointing Zen 3 info. Apparently when AMD put "7nm+" on previous slides about Zen 3... they did not mean TSMC 7+ process, with EUV and all the other changes that go with it. They apparently just meant an "improved version" of 7nm.

The upside is that AMD did say that Zen 3 should be in consumer form by end of year... so yeah, probably Q4 at the earliest.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15594/updated-amd-ryzen-and-epyc-cpu-roadmaps-march-2020-milan-genoa-and-vermeer

As long as Zen 4 is on a new process we can still call it tick-tock right?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Also some tidbits of RDNA2 info: https://www.anandtech.com/show/15591/amds-rdna-2-gets-a-codename-navi-2x-comes-this-year-with-50-improved-perfperwatt

The big piece of clarity there is that this is what's going in next-gen consoles.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That financial analyst day was pretty big. We heard about a branched compute GPU architecture, CPU-GPU infinity fabric, IF being treated as its own architecture, and 3D die packaging.

It's just nice seeing that these successes from the last few years might be transitioning to momentum and better competition over the next few years.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Hot drat, that certainly complicates my thinking about a Folding@Home farm upgrade/expansion.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Can't AMD CPUs run lanes in either PCIe or IF mode at will, anyway? With what EPYC pins running in either mode depending whether it's in an 1S or 2S mainboard? If so, AMD could run their graphics cards in IF mode in an AMD system.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, my understanding is that CPU-GPU in current IF methods is over a PCIe compatibility mode where the upcoming versions are going to be a native version:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15596/amd-moves-from-infinity-fabric-to-infinity-architecture-connecting-everything-to-everything

I believe the major advantage is that it allows for unified memory access, but it's a little above my pay grade against the finer points of PCIe.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cygni posted:

Well Intel went into their financial call, sat down, and straight up said "We're finally ready with 10nm and it sucks. Just complete and total rear end. Any questions?"

Soooooo AMD may be sitting back for a moment and holding the process improvement until next year, so they have something good to get people excited about AM5 or whatever the new platform for DDR5 is. If ryzen 4000 was substantially better than 3000, but then 5000 was a very minor improvement, that wouldn't work in their favor.

I'm ok with it, most of what I want from Zen 3 is for a 3700 to go on discount sale before the end of the year.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm mostly interested in passive cooled pcie4 ready chipsets, I'd upgrade for that.

Kilson
Jan 16, 2003

I EAT LITTLE CHILDREN FOR BREAKFAST !!11!!1!!!!111!
Isn't Zen4 supposed to be on 5nm anyway?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kilson posted:

Isn't Zen4 supposed to be on 5nm anyway?

yup, amd confirmed that in their slides

Zen4 on TSMC 5nm vs Intels 7nm (hopefully?), with DDR5 and maybe PCIe5, will likely be a big inflection point for upgrades

Cygni fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 6, 2020

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The FUD regarding actively cooled chipsets will never not make me lol

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Crunchy Black posted:

If you can't hear it, and you don't care that the fan will die, that owns, and I'd understand why you'd find it as funny as you do.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah the fan on my x570 hasn't turned on a single time since I bought it

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Crunchy Black posted:

How much are you in for, commando?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
An actively cooled chipset sucks, a chipset that only spins a fan when you run a benchmark on the 2nd NVMe drive is whatever.

If you really hate having a fan and don't want SLI videocards, I'd bet that pulling off the flat plate sink and adding a full-height chipset heatsink is a pretty easy mod. Do it like we did with our nForce motherboards in 2005.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Crunchy Black posted:

It's still a lovely design, end of story

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

Yeah the fan on my x570 hasn't turned on a single time since I bought it

When I saw a fan on my x570 board, I thought it was kinda neat that it was there "just in case" or whatever because it never went on. I didn't realize it was a whole... thing.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

Soooooo AMD may be sitting back for a moment and holding the process improvement until next year, so they have something good to get people excited about AM5 or whatever the new platform for DDR5 is. If ryzen 4000 was substantially better than 3000, but then 5000 was a very minor improvement, that wouldn't work in their favor.
If AMD went from Zen2 on 7nm, Zen3 on 6nm and Zen4 on 5nm, there should be enough of a difference between the gens to keep people happy. It's possible that they don't expect to be able to compete for the latest node against the Apples of the world, so they're pinning their hopes on the architectural improvements in Zen3 to provide most of the performance uplift.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I’m a little out of the loop then, if I want to upgrade and switch over to AMD then Q4 2020 is looking to be the best time to do it right? I’m not too familiar with what AMDs plans are and if any of the releases are more of a pit stop before the big updates.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Also all Apple, Huawei, Qualcomm, etc are moving to 7nmEUV+ and 5nm, which leaves AMD a considerable amount of wafers for all their projects as long as they remain on a tweaked 7nm node. Volume is more important than chasing marginal performance gains on 7nmEUV.

Going forward uarch will be more important than process IMHO.

ijyt posted:

I’m a little out of the loop then, if I want to upgrade and switch over to AMD then Q4 2020 is looking to be the best time to do it right? I’m not too familiar with what AMDs plans are and if any of the releases are more of a pit stop before the big updates.

From what though? Q4 2020 is the end for AM4 as far as we know and Zen4 on AM5 looks to be rotating in Q4 2021 or H1 2022. If your system works now, I don't see why you would do that, and if it's old enough why not now with Zen2?

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Mar 7, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ijyt posted:

How old is your system? There's basically no better time than now to upgrade to AM4, because if Zen 3 turns out to be amazing, you can always upgrade with one of them in place, without changing anything else.
However, buying in to a platform at its end of life right when Zen 3 comes out.. I guess that could be an OK decision, but if you could wait that long, you probably didn't need to upgrade anyway.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Klyith posted:

Do it like we did with our nForce motherboards in 2005.

My P5ND2-SLI was passively cooled, sir.

Yes I was one of the idiots who had an Intel/Nvidia setup and never SLI'd it.

Yes I'll pull around to the next window.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Klyith posted:

An actively cooled chipset sucks, a chipset that only spins a fan when you run a benchmark on the 2nd NVMe drive is whatever.

If you really hate having a fan and don't want SLI videocards, I'd bet that pulling off the flat plate sink and adding a full-height chipset heatsink is a pretty easy mod. Do it like we did with our nForce motherboards in 2005.

I don't run benchmarks, the box is fully passive idle / office work / coding, etc, except for the chipset fan. It's annoying, the chipset fan is the loudest in it, except when it's really loaded.

They just need a chipset that isn't stereotypically AMD hot. Swapping sinks isn't that easy when they've stacked the m2 connector above the chipset.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Mar 7, 2020

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I don't run benchmarks, the box is fully passive idle / office work / coding, etc, except for the chipset fan. It's annoying, the chipset fan is the loudest in it, except when it's really loaded.

They just need a chipset that isn't stereotypically AMD hot. Swapping sinks isn't that easy when they've stacked the m2 connector above the chipset.

That thing shouldn't be getting hot enough for the fan to turn on unless you are running a RAID cross the M.2 ports. Something doesn't sound right.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

They just need a chipset that isn't stereotypically AMD hot.

No, we need to train gamer idiots to stop thinking that non-functional poo poo made completely for appearance sake is cool.

It's a 10 watt chip, it can be cooled by a totally reasonable heatsink. The problem is that motherboards don't have reasonable heatsinks on them, they have metal plates designed to make your PC look like a gun from mass effect or destiny.

Case windows were a mistake.

Swapping sinks isn't that easy when they've stacked the m2 connector above the chipset.

Ditch the m2 heatsink plates as well, they're pointless.

(But before doing any of that, try updating your board bios. A couple of the oems have updated their chipset fan curves to be less aggressive.)

e:

pixaal posted:

That thing shouldn't be getting hot enough for the fan to turn on unless you are running a RAID cross the M.2 ports. Something doesn't sound right.

Looking into x570 power, it does have a weird thing where even idle is pretty warm. The x570 generates 7w with no devices plugged in, which is just dumb. Then it goes up to 10w when you max it out.

So if grindcore's board is running the fan at idle it's either one of the boards with the most non-functional of heatsinks, or it just runs the fan needlessly. A lot of x570 boards shipped running their chipset fans all the time even when the chip wasn't hot. Probably they did it so that there wouldn't be a reading of 75C at idle on their "high end" boards. There's a second idiot problem where people will look at any temperature sensor that's above 60 and think it's a problem.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 7, 2020

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

The second I saw the fan I instantly decided to get an X470 board

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
If it "never gets warm enough so the fan never turns on", why is the tiny poo poo fan even there? Small fans are so completely useless at moving any air when they're not running with insanely high RPM, I just don't know WTF AMD was thinking. And mainboard manufacturers - if you already have a product stack of eg. 10 mainboards from $150 to $600, you can't tell me there was no way to put $10 blocks of metal and heatpipes on a few of the more expensive ones.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD mandated the fan (or really, sufficient dissipation that made the fan the cheapest option for most board vendors). It’s literally just a repurposed IO die under there, it can get hot when loaded.

Some boards run it all the time, some turn it off. It’s stupid and bad that they went this route. It’s ok to call AMD out on their bad decisions. They are a multi billion dollar electronics company not above shady bullshit and bad decisions. They ain’t your pal.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

orcane posted:

And mainboard manufacturers - if you already have a product stack of eg. 10 mainboards from $150 to $600, you can't tell me there was no way to put $10 blocks of metal and heatpipes on a few of the more expensive ones.

Because that $10 could go to a RGB OLED mini-display that shows your CPU temperature and current K/D ratio? That would look totally sick dude, come on!

Cygni posted:

It’s stupid and bad that they went this route. It’s ok to call AMD out on their bad decisions. They ain’t your pal.

It's true, but the bad decisions here are like an onion. AMD made one, mobo makers made one, the trend-chasing public made several, and most of the people who bought x570 just because it had PCIe 4 made one.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 7, 2020

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
As for fans... I guess some people have amazingly bad hearing or live next to a construction site or their GPU fans are so loud they don't care about the wannabe delta fans on their mainboards. In an article on AMD giving up blowers for future reference video cards, today I was reading people saying their Navi reference blowers were almost silent :laffo:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Dunno how normal it is because I never pay attention to it, but PCH fan for me is at 1600rpm just sitting on my desktop. Though I have been having some weird temp issues lately, replaced cpu fan a few times because I can't figure out why I am getting up to 69c just watching a twitch video

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

orcane posted:

As for fans... I guess some people have amazingly bad hearing or live next to a construction site or their GPU fans are so loud they don't care about the wannabe delta fans on their mainboards. In an article on AMD giving up blowers for future reference video cards, today I was reading people saying their Navi reference blowers were almost silent :laffo:

People considering loud or annoying af fans/pumps quiet or even silent seems exceedingly common now that I have experienced those myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lube banjo posted:

Dunno how normal it is because I never pay attention to it, but PCH fan for me is at 1600rpm just sitting on my desktop. Though I have been having some weird temp issues lately, replaced cpu fan a few times because I can't figure out why I am getting up to 69c just watching a twitch video

Mine shuts on and off at desktop, set to silent mode in the bios. It's in an open air case so I hear it. It's not even particularly often, it'll just load something and zoom it up to 1600rpm for a brief time .. which sucks because my CPU fan is at 0rpm.

I don't particularly care, but I'm not buying another board with a fan (unless I can swap the cooler, which is unlikely with itx), so I hope AMD sort that stupid poo poo out.

You could check your bios and see if you can set the PCH to silent / 0rpm idle mode. It'll make the fan last longer.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 7, 2020