Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Shooting Blanks posted:

Interview question:

I have an interview with a company next week [sales, major IT company]. I've interviewed with this company before, several years ago, at that time the recruiter insisted on seeing multiple years' worth of W2s in the initial screen, per him that was company policy. I declined, didn't pursue and frankly the whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth. The new recruiter is aware I've interviewed with this company in the past, if she asks why it didn't go anywhere at that time, how should I answer? Be up front about it? Be vague?

I wouldn't have accepted this at all (under the assumption that the policy was still intact, even if it is insane) if it weren't for the fact that a friend was recently offered a sales role and wasn't asked for any financial documents.
Be vague and don't expect too much. More companies are trending away from asking about salary history and this company might be one of them. If they pull the same stunt, I'd get a bit snarky, "These oddly aggressive negotiating tactics early in the process coupled with the apparently high rate of turnover for this position indicate that this role might not be the best next step in my career. Please remove me from consideration. Thanks!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Dik Hz posted:

Be vague and don't expect too much. More companies are trending away from asking about salary history and this company might be one of them. If they pull the same stunt, I'd get a bit snarky, "These oddly aggressive negotiating tactics early in the process coupled with the apparently high rate of turnover for this position indicate that this role might not be the best next step in my career. Please remove me from consideration. Thanks!"

How common was this, and how common is this today? Thinking about it, I had a spate of companies do the same thing in about an 8-10 month period a couple years ago, this one among them. This company was far and away the most aggressive - most of the other recruiters backed off when I refused. I just can't imagine the individual that thinks it's ok to ask for this information.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Lots of companies that tried it for a couple years backed off fast when they discovered it is selection criteria for overpaid people only. I wouldn't be surprised if they have already ditched it after having good candidates refuse and walk away.

As far as what you can tell them, the truth would be fine. Or be vague, you are pretty justified here and I don't think it makes you look bad. If they don't want you because you didn't want to share W-2s, then you don't want to work there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I would have absolutely zero compunction about saying "I was asked to share personal information not relevant to the position, and declined to do so," and politely but firmly refuse to elaborate further. Lockback is 100% right that if they give you any poo poo at all about refusing to give them W2s, or worse yet demand you do so again, then the only response is to immediately end the interview and leave.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Eric the Mauve posted:

I would have absolutely zero compunction about saying "I was asked to share personal information not relevant to the position, and declined to do so," and politely but firmly refuse to elaborate further. Lockback is 100% right that if they give you any poo poo at all about refusing to give them W2s, or worse yet demand you do so again, then the only response is to immediately end the interview and leave.

I also wouldn’t do stuff to undermine my negotiationing power like give w2s. That said this is bad/harmful advice imo.

Stonewalling as a negotiation tactic for getting jobs absolutely won’t work. That’s def not the only response, you could offer to furnish them after you guys have a handshake agreement on an offer.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Turns out it was all a moot point - technical issues undermined the call from the very start. Bad connection, dropped call, etc. By the end the recruiter was obviously frustrated, doubt it's going to go anywhere.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Thank you for reminding me of the most botched interview I ever had. Only a minute or so into this phone interview, before we had even really gotten past introductions, they told me they were having a very hard time hearing me (and I was having a hard time hearing them, too--incredibly stormy day in both our areas, which I guess messes with cell reception since apparently there is no hope for phones ever being good?). They asked if I could quickly call them back on a landline (I took the last interview time offered and it was only a 15-minute slot).

Well... first off, I was at least three minutes away from a landline, since I had walked down the street to get away from office noise and snooping co-workers. I half-heartedly jogged back to the office and went to grab a phone and call them back before realizing I did not even know how to get an outside line with one of our phones (no, it was not pressing 9). And I was not nearly interested enough in this other job to brave telling my supervisor I needed to make an outside call. So... I guess they assume I died in that horrible storm.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
With friends we just go to text or chat when connections are bad. Maybe one day job interviews will be cool like that.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Who can I hire on here to help me with my Resume?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

riseofmydick posted:

Who can I hire on here to help me with my Resume?

I'd say redact your personal info and just post. You'll get info on if you need any serious help or just some tweaks and iterations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CarForumPoster posted:

I also wouldn’t do stuff to undermine my negotiationing power like give w2s. That said this is bad/harmful advice imo.

Stonewalling as a negotiation tactic for getting jobs absolutely won’t work. That’s def not the only response, you could offer to furnish them after you guys have a handshake agreement on an offer.

Hey, if you want to work for the kind of company that demands your previous W2s in an interview, better you than me.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Well then here you go, tear it apart.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

riseofmydick posted:

Ok, my first question is how far off from that Comp Sci degree are you? That radically changes the environment.

Do you have a github redacted there? If you want you can PM me those details if you want feedback from someone who has hired Javascript engineers in New York.

What job/industry/next step are you looking at target here?

This is a pretty good start, but I'll say it looks like mine and I kind of think I need to rebuild mine from scratch. But knowing what you want to do will help point you in a direction.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lockback posted:

Ok, my first question is how far off from that Comp Sci degree are you? That radically changes the environment.

Do you have a github redacted there? If you want you can PM me those details if you want feedback from someone who has hired Javascript engineers in New York.

What job/industry/next step are you looking at target here?

This is a pretty good start, but I'll say it looks like mine and I kind of think I need to rebuild mine from scratch. But knowing what you want to do will help point you in a direction.

Quite a far way away. I'm not really much of a coder so I don't really have a github.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

riseofmydick posted:

Quite a far way away. I'm not really much of a coder so I don't really have a github.

Ok, so your resume is alright. What do you want for your next role? Right now this says to me that you are a reasonably good marketing analyst with some technical skills that appear to be mostly dormant/not pursued. For something like Marketing Analyst you probably want a resume that pops a bit more, and I can give some suggestions and examples, but that should probably be the last thing you do.

You definitely have good examples in your resume, I wonder if it might be better to expand more on the last 2 jobs at the expense of the first 2. Kind of up to you.

But yeah, what do you want this to say and what role are you going for? Or do you just want some polish on what you have?

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lockback posted:

Ok, so your resume is alright. What do you want for your next role? Right now this says to me that you are a reasonably good marketing analyst with some technical skills that appear to be mostly dormant/not pursued. For something like Marketing Analyst you probably want a resume that pops a bit more, and I can give some suggestions and examples, but that should probably be the last thing you do.

You definitely have good examples in your resume, I wonder if it might be better to expand more on the last 2 jobs at the expense of the first 2. Kind of up to you.

But yeah, what do you want this to say and what role are you going for? Or do you just want some polish on what you have?

I'm honestly looking for any role right now. I work in events currently and I'm afraid i'm going to lose my job when if we have to cancel events due to coronavirus.

I tend to modify my resume depending on what I am applying to to highlight relevant experience too.

I probably want to get into a marketing position running digital ad campaigns or something similar at this point. I'm not really moving because I want to but because I'm afraid I may have to. I'm putting out feelers basically.

Edit: Also I wouldn't say my technical skills are dormant. We use wordpress at my current job and I build out websites with it all the time for us and I tend to use HTML and CSS and a bit of JS when I do. I just didn't highlight it as I have limited space and I was focusing more on marketing results as applying for a marketing position. I do graphic design all the time here as well with either Photoshop or Indesign. The only thing I really haven't done in a long while (since my job before this) is work with a tons of video.

riseofmydick fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 6, 2020

Business
Feb 6, 2007

Hi thread I'm trying to get my bearings applying for jobs since it's been a while and I'm wrapping up a PhD
A couple things I don't understand coming from academia. What's the deal with optional cover letters? I've gotten a couple of referrals and one person told me I should spend some time on it, and another who works at a big tech company told me not to bother (it actually kinda said as much in their online application system). I'm used to academia and putting together a 12 pack package for a 1 year position so it feels very weird.
The other thing is referrals: should I prioritize my time trying to get those over just sending my resume in? I don't have a real professional network in the state in which I'm applying (it's across the country and I've never lived there). This isn't such a problem for the big big companies (since I'll know people at other locations usually) but for smaller ones all I have are secondary connections with people I've never met on linkedin....should I try and contact them to ask for one? I could also maybe go through friends that have bigger networks in the area maybe?
I'm moving in a couple months, should I use an address from the city in which I'm applying even if I don't live there yet?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

riseofmydick posted:

You need to show how you excelled at your roles. I'm not going to go line by line, but your first 2 bullets don't tell me why you were good at what you do, just that you were in a job with those responsibilities. For example, what was the impact of your marketing campaign strategy? More revenue? More customers? Increased engagement? Quantitate and list that poo poo. Your third bullet is good.

Compare these two bullets and tell me who you'd hire:

"Developed and designed web advertising strategies and campaigns for clients using the Google Ads and Facebook Ads platforms"

"Increased revenue by an average of 60% for 18 clients by optimizing Google and Facebook advertising campaigns.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It is no wonder people who work for the government never leave the government when we have no idea whether our work had any positive impact on our agency and thus could never write anything like that anyway.

I am sure a truly skilled self-marketer could make it work, admittedly. Now to find one, and kill and eat him to gain his powers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dr. Quarex posted:

It is no wonder people who work for the government never leave the government when we have no idea whether our work had any positive impact on our agency and thus could never write anything like that anyway.

I am sure a truly skilled self-marketer could make it work, admittedly. Now to find one, and kill and eat him to gain his powers.

The goal isn't necessarily to prove you had an impact, though its great if you can. Sometimes you factually can't, e.g. if you work on a project that was killed before going live. Maybe you work in sales and are selling a product the market doesn't want. The goal is to demonstrate to the people considering you that you understood what success/impact was in that role and sought to improve it, ideally by measuring it. In most jobs it has something to do with creating money or saving money for the company. In governmental roles it could be much softer things such as improving the relationship with a different country.

My guess is every manager, even one as inexperienced as me, has hired at least one person who could technically do the work but didn't get why they did it enough to contribute beyond their very narrow scope, and even then weren't great.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
I wonder if I could tie down a remote IT Support job if I somehow can't manage to land anything else in case we have to cancel all our events.

I believe there are plenty of those around and I do have some experience in that field. (although not tons)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

riseofmydick posted:

No feedback on resume, but twentyoverten is expanding their LeadPilot program which is basically creating lead funnels for RIAs. From what I've seen, they would highly benefit from someone who could do web design with a good eye towards integrating sites into a marketing structure with email drip campaigns. They also produce their own financial content including infographics as part of an overall package, if you whip one up as a sample I'm sure that would boost your application.

Sound like something you might want to do? I can maybe get you a foot in the door if so. Email me at moana.whipple@gmail.com if you want to discuss it.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Its funny that THIS is how competitive the market is for undergrad CS majors and web marketing people with any job experience is right now. Someone offers to personally answer questions, I gave it a serious look over to see indicators of fit and moana straight up says hey maybe I can get you a job. What a time to be a CS major.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah part of the reason I changed my major back from computer science is because the Dot-Com Bubble bursting had led to college people telling us in the early 2000s that computer jobs were not going to be nearly as lucrative in the future. Oops lol

CarForumPoster posted:

The goal isn't necessarily to prove you had an impact, though its great if you can. Sometimes you factually can't, e.g. if you work on a project that was killed before going live. Maybe you work in sales and are selling a product the market doesn't want. The goal is to demonstrate to the people considering you that you understood what success/impact was in that role and sought to improve it, ideally by measuring it. In most jobs it has something to do with creating money or saving money for the company. In governmental roles it could be much softer things such as improving the relationship with a different country.

I appreciate that advice. Now to figure out if I understand the point of my last job well enough to improve my write-up! Actually it makes it easier that nobody really knew what specifically I was supposed to be doing, as I can just take anything I did do and try to write it up as beneficial.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah part of the reason I changed my major back from computer science is because the Dot-Com Bubble bursting had led to college people telling us in the early 2000s that computer jobs were not going to be nearly as lucrative in the future. Oops lol

Same, OP.

Prior to going to college, my plan was to be at least Minor in CS but my first year in college was 2000 so yeah, I was quickly disabused of that. I probably would've been terrible at it anyway but still.

I still wound up in tech/software, just not the way I envisioned 20 years ago ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Ampersands in resumes - are they an acceptable way to save space in what is often a skim-read document, or do they look sloppy and a poor use of punctuation?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

bee posted:

Ampersands in resumes - are they an acceptable way to save space in what is often a skim-read document, or do they look sloppy and a poor use of punctuation?

Depends. Using them in a full sentence looks a little sloppy. Using them in a skills section or something is fine.

Oracle & Mongo Certification: Good
Responsible for full machine installation & maintenance: A bit sloppy

Not the end of the world though.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I just got a rejection letter from the job I interviewed for as a personal favor to someone. He knew the job was not quite appropriately advanced for my experience, but knew I would be great in the role and needed a job and that I would help the department grow.

Well, on the plus side, that means I do not now have to agonize over whether to actually take the job!

What do you do when you run out of jobs to apply for

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Dr. Quarex posted:

Search the internet. LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dr. Quarex posted:

I just got a rejection letter from the job I interviewed for as a personal favor to someone. He knew the job was not quite appropriately advanced for my experience, but knew I would be great in the role and needed a job and that I would help the department grow.

Well, on the plus side, that means I do not now have to agonize over whether to actually take the job!

FYI, I have definitely rejected people because I thought they would be a bad fit, even if they were over qualified. If you were projecting "interviewed as a personal favor", "Not quite appropriately advanced" or "Agnonize whether or not to take the job" that might have been what sunk you. That's not really a resume or qualification problem (you wouldn't have gotten the interview if so) but potentially a problem with how you are presenting yourself and your background. I wasn't in the interview so I don't know, but I have seen very intelligent people come into and interview and talk about how great they'd be at some other job entirely and that is an easy rejection.

You probably really need to find a good remote job that'd get you rolling or think long and hard about moving. I know you have something with your wife or something that is keeping you stuck in a place that is not a good fit career wise but it might be worthwhile to really truly weigh everything and see if that makes as much sense as it used to.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CarForumPoster posted:

Search the internet. LinkedIn, Indeed, etc.
My problem is that I need the jobs to either be remote or local to my underpopulated area; I can check every job in my field within commuting distance in about thirty seconds between LinkedIn and Google For Jobs (though thank you, I learned while reading about job boards that Indeed actually does not let Google For Jobs steal its results, so I do need to add Indeed to my list).

Lockback posted:

FYI, I have definitely rejected people because I thought they would be a bad fit, even if they were over qualified. If you were projecting "interviewed as a personal favor", "Not quite appropriately advanced" or "Agnonize whether or not to take the job" that might have been what sunk you. That's not really a resume or qualification problem (you wouldn't have gotten the interview if so) but potentially a problem with how you are presenting yourself and your background. I wasn't in the interview so I don't know, but I have seen very intelligent people come into and interview and talk about how great they'd be at some other job entirely and that is an easy rejection.

You probably really need to find a good remote job that'd get you rolling or think long and hard about moving. I know you have something with your wife or something that is keeping you stuck in a place that is not a good fit career wise but it might be worthwhile to really truly weigh everything and see if that makes as much sense as it used to.
You could certainly be right that the interview might not have gone as well as I thought it did; certainly my overall terrible interview-to-job conversion rate suggests you may be on to something. Though this might be the first time I have interviewed for a job I thought I was virtually guaranteed to get, so at least it was a different issue than usual if that was why.

I joined one remote-focused job board last Fall, but it was back when I was still in the "just find anything!" mindset and most of the jobs are like "be paid a few dollars to basically write everything for our company" variety. I have heard good things about FlexJobs, so I will probably give that a whirl, though nearly all of their immigration jobs require the ability to practice law in whatever state. I am open to being told that should not be a bar (teehee!) to me applying for a job, but that seems like a fairly clear signal that those jobs are not open to me. But there are a few that just talk about "immigration experience" so I feel like those are at least viable.

Also part of the reason I am trying not to go all-in on the idea of moving for a job now is that my old office in Chicago is now doing 90% telework where when I was there it was only doing 10% telework, so my most feasible goal is to get hired back there. Well. If the government ever hires people again. Used to pretty reliably post a bunch of openings quarterly but uh, yeah, might be until after November now.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Has anyone had their job search affected by the coronavirus and likely recession? I had what I thought was a great interview a couple weeks ago, and now I’m wondering if timing might leave me stuck where I am for another year. :suicide:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Baronash posted:

Has anyone had their job search affected by the coronavirus and likely recession? I had what I thought was a great interview a couple weeks ago, and now I’m wondering if timing might leave me stuck where I am for another year. :suicide:

Not job searching, but yes. Every company in my area has shut down their recruiting temporarily. If literally anyone is getting interviews these days, they're probably either Jesus, Mohammad or our future alien overlords.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah. I had a fantastic interview. Everyone got along with one another and what should have been a 30 minute interview turned into 90 minutes. That was 3 weeks ago and it's been radio silence. The job was for a back-fill position so my guess is it's long gone.

Ironically I applied for a job on Wednesday and got a call Thursday and an interview scheduled for Tuesday. So someone's still hiring. Here's hoping they hire me because my current job is letting everyone work from home EXCEPT me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Baronash posted:

Week before Seattle was hit hard I went on an interview. There were 3 candidates, I passed, second didn’t, third got canceled due to mass WFH. From my contacts inside there’s no plans yet for what recruiting will look like still.

Meanwhile at my current role we did a full remote interview and may extend an offer though the person we are extending to is horribly incompetent.

And a coworker left Friday to take a few weeks off before starting at a competitor but who knows if that onboarding will happen.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I just got laid off on Thursday. I was only with the company for 7 weeks. I was with my previous company for five years before that. In both companies I had similar roles - Process Engineer.

Should I include my new company on my resume with a bullet item or two? How bad does this look? Will this recession mean that I will be unemployed for life / should kill myself.

Thanks goons.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Woof, 7 weeks is rough. I'd probably lean towards not including it. You just say you left old job to take a new position and it didn't last due to external circumstance but didn't bother to include that.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
The guy that hired me tells me I'm going to be helping expand the plant to increase output by four fold and that the company has funding for the next 2-3 years at least. drat it that is a two month gap starting at ground zero into a loving recession.

gently caress THIS GAY EARTH.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Xeom posted:

The guy that hired me tells me I'm going to be helping expand the plant to increase output by four fold and that the company has funding for the next 2-3 years at least. drat it that is a two month gap starting at ground zero into a loving recession.

gently caress THIS GAY EARTH.
Sucks dude. What kind of process engineering do you do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The bad news is that for right now it doesn't matter because no one will be hiring for a while and you probably are facing an extended period of unemployment.

The good news is the 7 week employment gap isn't going to hurt you at all once companies start hiring again, because they'll be getting resumes from tons of unemployed people. Makes it even easier to just leave it off.

Please don't kill yourself. :smith: