Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

I used to work in a model shop, and the number of arguments I heard from customers about which colour was the best match for late-war luftwaffe green was crazy,
Black and in bits, I think.

e: In March 1931 French aviator Marcel Goulette flies a Farman F.304 trimotor from Paris, France, to Tananarive, Madagascar, and back.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Oh dear me posted:

My nephew's colleague's partner has tested positive for coronavirus, it was nice knowing you all

whatever i've got which fits all the symptoms absolutely flew through the building at work that has like hundreds of people working in it and someone collapsed from it yesterday so its everywhere lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jose posted:

i didn't know mormons were a thing in newcastle but they got hit by coronavirus https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-51782255

i'm fairly certain that its all over the place here

Mormons are a thing everywhere. One of them once tried to proselytise me while we were crossing the road at a busy junction. He was duly advised that however much he wanted to meet Jesus I was in no rush to do so and so maybe he should cool his jets.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

today I helped my sister and brother-in-law remove their deck and discover, to everyone's surprise, that there was another deck underneath

turns out the previous owner had, rather than remove the deck and redo it, just screwed a load of fence planks down onto it :psyduck: and I'm pretty sure he was a handyman or some sort of tradie so I hope he didn't bodge up other people's jobs like he bodged this one

and if any of you make a "looks like it was a double decker!!!" joke I will loving cut you

Looks less like a Double Decker and more like a melted Snickers, because it looks like shite

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

Mormons are a thing everywhere. One of them once tried to proselytise me while we were crossing the road at a busy junction. He was duly advised that however much he wanted to meet Jesus I was in no rush to do so and so maybe he should cool his jets.

Even while we waited at the bus stop together the Inverness mormons didn't even bother trying to convert me, the heartless bastards.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jedit posted:

As someone with Mormons in the family, they live all over the UK and pretty much every town has a LDS church.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Going back to AI chat:

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I wear shoes in the house because feet are disgusting you horrible sex weirds
Hey SN, do you want an automated service that sends you machine learning generated pictures of feet and doesn't stop? Because that's a service that exists now!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Looks less like a Double Decker and more like a melted Snickers, because it looks like shite

the planks on top were in decent shape but the wood underneath was all rotted to gently caress because of the moisture

pretty sure I've tweaked something in my back but I can't really complain because my brother-in-law trod on a screw and had to spend his Saturday evening in Corby A&E getting a tetanus shot

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

The BBCs coverage of Nandy really cements how anti-left they currently are in my eyes. Barely mentioning the two leading candidates in favour of a no-hope third-placer who just so happen to be right-wing.

The top two politics articles are about her.

e: It's by Kuenssberg of course, because of course it would be.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 7, 2020

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Just got back from ASDA in Sheffield and the toilet paper aisle was stripped bare. People walking away with 2 giant packs under each arm. Did I miss a bulletin or something?

Also watched Dark Water today for a lovely "you all have cancer" fun start to the Saturday. Good film, recommend.

On a total aside I'm looking to get back into painting miniatures as a hobby, any goons got any advice on a decent starter paint set? The ones recommend on amazon seem a bit pricey at £45 for 20 18ml colours. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grinning-Gargoyle-GAR-FPS001-Miniatures-Warpaints/dp/B07P66VH2L

Also, spray paint undercoat or by hand?

Army painter are cheap. My experience of them has been adequate but they're nothing to write home about.

The Vallejo ranges are great, particularly the Model and Game Air line (made for airbrushing but they're fantastic for brushing on).

GW have the most expensive paints, but they're ubiquitous in the UK and some of their lines/colours are unique. Stuff like Contrast paints, their washes and their metallics are excellent. The downside is price and the fact that they still come in stupid flip-top pots. IMO they're probably the most beginner friendly as there's literally days of tutorials online using their paints.

Edit: Was in town today and saw a guy with a huge sign screaming about everyone is a brainwashed satanic sheep.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 7, 2020

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

stev posted:

As someone with Mormons in the family, they live all over the UK and pretty much every town has a LDS church.

Weirdly Nottingham doesn't seem to have any Mormons but has a crapton of Jehovah's Witnesses. There is a specifically Korean JH Kingdom Hall down the road from me and they are on a bunch of streets in the city centre.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Private Speech posted:

The BBCs coverage of Nandy really cements how anti-left they currently are in my eyes. Barely mentioning the two leading candidates in favour of a no-hope third-placer who just so happen to be right-wing.

The top two politics articles are about her.

e: It's by Kuenssberg of course, because of course it would be.

she really needs an editor, this is barely English

quote:

In our interview with Lisa Nandy she didn't hold back, not just her analysis of how Labour has drifted away from many communities it used to represent, but also on how both sides of the party went into what she describes as a "factional war", where it was "very very clear", that the leadership, not just MPs, unhappy about Mr Corbyn's leadership, wanted, she says, to have the fight until their opponents in the party were "crushed". .

e: I read the whole article and that wasn't just a one off, she's semi-literate lol

E2: well that might be a bit of an exaggeration but she can't write well at all

XMNN fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 7, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

Edit: Was in town today and saw a guy with a huge sign screaming about everyone is a brainwashed satanic sheep.
I thought sheep were good in the Bible and goats were bad?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

XMNN posted:

she really needs an editor, this is barely English

e: I read the whole article and that wasn't just a one off, she's semi-literate lol

gently caress me those commas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I never quite know whether to put them inside or outside quotes but even I don't use that many of the bloody things.

Like, brackets, hyphens, you have many other forms of punctuation you can use.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is English, so the answer is "depends entirely on which style book you use."

Or "depends entirely on which style book you use", depending entirely on which style book you use.

stev posted:

gently caress me those commas.
gently caress, me those commas.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well I'm glad there's not a definite rule at least. I don't put them in the quotes because they're not part of the quote, but they look weird outside of it.

But that writing is actually made less readable by the punctuation.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I like the full stop space full stop at the end of the quoted section, because yes, that is part of the original article.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

MikeCrotch posted:

Weirdly Nottingham doesn't seem to have any Mormons but has a crapton of Jehovah's Witnesses. There is a specifically Korean JH Kingdom Hall down the road from me and they are on a bunch of streets in the city centre.

Plymouth Brethren are another odd evangelical Christian church with populations spread around the UK to some extent. There was a big group of them in Buckingham where I used to live/grew up. Sure I've mentioned them before. The local group had a thing up until about 2015 where they wouldn't use technology/computers (upon further reading this is actually a thing for the whole sect), which made them interesting to deal with as they run the local trade suppliers... so they had to do inventory, stock-keeping and stuff without computers. They seem to have abandoned that now and they have computers in the store, email addresses and an online-ordering system.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I love love love journalists uncritically accepting Nandy's version of events that she's a non-factional candidate when she literally ran Owen Smith's campaign in 2016

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

WhatEvil posted:

Plymouth Brethren are another odd evangelical Christian church with populations spread around the UK to some extent. There was a big group of them in Buckingham where I used to live/grew up. Sure I've mentioned them before. The local group had a thing up until about 2015 where they wouldn't use technology/computers (upon further reading this is actually a thing for the whole sect), which made them interesting to deal with as they run the local trade suppliers... so they had to do inventory, stock-keeping and stuff without computers. They seem to have abandoned that now and they have computers in the store, email addresses and an online-ordering system.

Yes! There is an abandoned one of their halls round the corner from me - it's incredibly creepy because it has no windows and weird signs about "Brethrens Meeting Place". Turns out they are weird and culty and don't let women in the cult talk to outsiders. Who knew.

I only found out about them because the hall is a pokestop lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Well I'm glad there's not a definite rule at least. I don't put them in the quotes because they're not part of the quote, but they look weird outside of it.

But that writing is actually made less readable by the punctuation.
With question and exclamation marks, that's the exact rule for the majority of style books/guides.

"Does punctuation go inside or outside quotes?" goes inside, because the question is part of the quote.

Does there have to be a massive grammatical debate every time a writer says "I put punctuation inside quotes"? - That goes outside because it's not part of the quote, the quote isn't a question..

Commas and stops are where most of the debate is, unless you're citing verbatim for law or journalism or academic work, in which case it should follow the original. But even then there's some opinions about the final comma/stop.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I was in tesco an hour ago and they had shitloads of arserag left tbh, don't think we're all gonna die in the great andrex war of 2020 just yet despite journalism's wishes to the contrary :v:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I thought sheep were good in the Bible and goats were bad?

I was tempted to debate scripture with him whilst coughing constantly in his face but I felt that would be unethical.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

quote:

In our interview with Lisa Nandy she didn't hold back, not just her analysis of how Labour has drifted away from many communities it used to represent, but also on how both sides of the party went into what she describes as a "factional war", where it was "very very clear", that the leadership, not just MPs, unhappy about Mr Corbyn's leadership, wanted, she says, to have the fight until their opponents in the party were "crushed". .

Rule number one, I think, in being a good writer, is to include not only to pepper your sentences with needless punctuation, but also, using a bunch of needless subordinate clauses that, I'm sure you'll agree, not only make the prose halting and difficult to parse, and make the reader, confused about where it's all going, lose track, ultimately, of what the point even was in the first place, pad out the sentence to paragraph length.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Yes! There is an abandoned one of their halls round the corner from me - it's incredibly creepy because it has no windows and weird signs about "Brethrens Meeting Place". Turns out they are weird and culty and don't let women in the cult talk to outsiders. Who knew.

I only found out about them because the hall is a pokestop lol

Back when I was 4 or 5 we lived in a place that wasn't even a village, there were 20 houses in a mile radius or something. Anyway, I was an incredibly sociable & friendly kid (how things change) & turns out that there were...not sure if they were Plymouth Brethern or some offshoot of them but they were the nicest family. A lot of kids of varying ages but they were all incredibly friendly & not in a culty way at all. Well, according to my faint memories, we're talking 30 years ago. At some point one of their kids was being baptised & my mum, me & sister were invited along. My sister would have been about 18 months old and did toddler stuff like crying and they were so good and patient and just very "let kids be kids" which was so loving different to when my own cousin got baptised in the Church of Scotland church my grandparents attended and it was all "how dare your baby make noises on this solemn occasion?" and my mam ended up having to go outside with her.

Dunno what my point is really, except that at least to a 5 year old they were by far & away the nicest Christians I've ever had any experience with. And definitely did let their women talk to outsiders. But there's also "Open" & "Exclusive" sects & the Reeves definitely weren't "Exclusive" going by what I've read.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pilchenstein posted:

I was in tesco an hour ago and they had shitloads of arserag left tbh, don't think we're all gonna die in the great andrex war of 2020 just yet despite journalism's wishes to the contrary :v:
I went tesco today and there was lots of toilet paper, but they were completely out of hand sanitizer, and also completely out of frozen mushrooms. The latter was far more annoying because I like to buy a big bag and use them in stuff across a couple of weeks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
One set of my great grandparents were Plymouth Brethren. My grandfather left when he was 16 but remained very 'low church' in his beliefs, everything very plain, no ornamentation in the church and as for roman catholics, they were the devil's work and as for the Pope... practically Satan.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Please, coronavirus, do to the attendees of CPAC what that pressure washer would do to someones rusty sheriffs badge.

https://twitter.com/PhilipWegmann/status/1236415249772937221

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Isomermaid posted:

Rule number one, I think, in being a good writer, is to include not only to pepper your sentences with needless punctuation, but also, using a bunch of needless subordinate clauses that, I'm sure you'll agree, not only make the prose halting and difficult to parse, and make the reader, confused about where it's all going, lose track, ultimately, of what the point even was in the first place, pad out the sentence to paragraph length.

This is easily my worst vice as a writer. You can tell how many times I've bothered to edit any bit of writing by how many needless subjunctives there are in it.

(Actually my worst vice is to always forget to close at least one set of brackets, which makes me a bad writer and an even worse coder

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

Army painter are cheap. My experience of them has been adequate but they're nothing to write home about.

The Vallejo ranges are great, particularly the Model and Game Air line (made for airbrushing but they're fantastic for brushing on).

GW have the most expensive paints, but they're ubiquitous in the UK and some of their lines/colours are unique. Stuff like Contrast paints, their washes and their metallics are excellent. The downside is price and the fact that they still come in stupid flip-top pots. IMO they're probably the most beginner friendly as there's literally days of tutorials online using their paints.

In the last few months I've got back into painting minis (actually bought my first new GW minis since in a decade beginning of the month) and my decade old Vallejo paints are still in stock, still look the same to my reasonably colourblind eyes and still work wonderfully. I bought a couple of GW paints and a metallic spray and I haven't tried the spray yet but the flip tops are awful. Army Painter sprays are good and the paints genuinely colour match them and the browns are good (not tried any others). Vallejo bone white is pretty grim and I don't know if that's the paint being old or the paint as I can't really remember what it was like fresh.

I love the Army Painter washes too, give them a go its so much better than making your own as I used too. I hear good things about Games Workshop Contrast paints as above.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could solve that by writing in notepad++

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pilchenstein posted:

you see me now a veteran
of a thousand wipe-poo poo wars

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This is easily my worst vice as a writer. You can tell how many times I've bothered to edit any bit of writing by how many needless subjunctives there are in it.

(Actually my worst vice is to always forget to close at least one set of brackets, which makes me a bad writer and an even worse coder

same

I've always tended to do it, and now a lot of my emails have got clauses that depend on others ("if this isn't working then do A, if it is then do B") or relatively important parenthetical information (like "make sure not to touch this bit when you're taking it out") so it can all spiral out of control pretty quickly.

It's not great for presenting straightforward instructions, so I deliberately go back through and make sure that I'm not using more than one or two in any given sentence

I literally put more effort into a random email than she does on something she's going to publish on a national news site

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Please, coronavirus, do to the attendees of CPAC what that pressure washer would do to someones rusty sheriffs badge.

https://twitter.com/PhilipWegmann/status/1236415249772937221

EdBlackadder posted:

I love the Army Painter washes too, give them a go its so much better than making your own as I used too.

The Army Painter washes almost feel like cheating tbh, doing a weak brown then a super-weak black makes this cel-shaded kind of look someone as crappy with a brush as me should have no business achieving.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

ngl I'm pretty glad I stocked up on poo poo tickets last weekend

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

EdBlackadder posted:

In the last few months I've got back into painting minis (actually bought my first new GW minis since in a decade beginning of the month) and my decade old Vallejo paints are still in stock, still look the same to my reasonably colourblind eyes and still work wonderfully. I bought a couple of GW paints and a metallic spray and I haven't tried the spray yet but the flip tops are awful. Army Painter sprays are good and the paints genuinely colour match them and the browns are good (not tried any others). Vallejo bone white is pretty grim and I don't know if that's the paint being old or the paint as I can't really remember what it was like fresh.

I love the Army Painter washes too, give them a go its so much better than making your own as I used too. I hear good things about Games Workshop Contrast paints as above.

Most painters diversify heavily after a while anyway. There's nothing to be gained by brand loyalty and for most 'basic' colours all of the brands will be pretty similar. If you're good enough to tell the difference then you'll be good enough to pick what you prefer. I swerved away from GW into Vallejo for basic colours for over a decade but have recently started moving back to them again. GW really do have a lot of different formulations and if you buy a bag of cheap dropper bottles from China you can decant everything from the flip-tops.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

fixed

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One set of my great grandparents were Plymouth Brethren. My grandfather left when he was 16 but remained very 'low church' in his beliefs, everything very plain, no ornamentation in the church and as for roman catholics, they were the devil's work and as for the Pope... practically Satan.

I recently discovered that my Grandad and his family were hardcore Presbytarians, and they also believed Catholics and the Pope were Satan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Z the IVth posted:

Most painters diversify heavily after a while anyway. There's nothing to be gained by brand loyalty and for most 'basic' colours all of the brands will be pretty similar. If you're good enough to tell the difference then you'll be good enough to pick what you prefer. I swerved away from GW into Vallejo for basic colours for over a decade but have recently started moving back to them again. GW really do have a lot of different formulations and if you buy a bag of cheap dropper bottles from China you can decant everything from the flip-tops.

Aye I have no brand loyalty but 1) gently caress flip tops, droppers for life and 2) Thousand Sons is a loving weird paint. Expandinf on point 2 I've decided to make a Thousand Sons 40k army and their signature colour doesn't have a ready equivalent with any other company and splits really quickly its hard to work with on my wet pallet but simultaneously too thick out the pot to readily use.