Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Longbaugh01 posted:

Edit: Janeway yells “brace for impact” and her dumbass first officer runs and jumps AWAY from the railing he could brace against. What the gently caress. Guess he missed the Bracing For Impacts course at Starfleet Academy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1UIWrkswvA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

McSpanky posted:

A proper vocal synthesizer would be able to attenuate the phonemes to flow correctly based on pronunciation, sentence structure and punctuation. In other words, to inflect. Of course we're still trying real hard to get vocal synthesizers to do just that for brief neutral statements and not still be easily recognized as artificial so yeah, it actually is that hard.

Like I said, the JFK/Star Wars one was fine and that quality would be perfectly acceptable :shrug:

also it's a computer voice friend, it's supposed to be easily recognized as artificial

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

zoux posted:

Right but he's like you're my nuncle to the kid, is he just doing dad jokes?

??? Rene mistakenly calls Picard his nephew when they first meet, so Picard jokes that Rene must be his uncle, and maintains the joke throughout the episode. Did you watch the episode?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

Wow. The cgi Badlands in the Voyager pilot look like pink vomit Ghostbusters 2 slime compared to the practical effects Badlands from DS9.

Edit: Janeway yells “brace for impact” and her dumbass first officer runs and jumps AWAY from the railing he could bracce against. What the gently caress. Guess he missed the Bracing For Impacts course at Starfleet Academy.

Edit2: What the poo poo. Now they’re on a farm and some hick is playing the banjo. What the hell kind of Star Trek pilot is this.

One that prepares you for Voyager

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Longbaugh01 posted:

Just got to the end of S6/two-part opening to S7 in my DS9 re-watch, and that Jadzia lead up to death/death transition to Ezri is such a rushed mess.

gently caress you Berman.

Someone on AV Club or somewhere who met Shimerman said this was over money. Farrell knew that the rest of the cast were career actors but she was a model hired for appearances, and youthful beauty never lasts, so she wanted to be paid as much as the top cast were since DS9 was going to be by far the biggest chunk of her whole Hollywood career. They didn't want to pay her as much as the other top people, so she left to pursue roles that paid better.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Ferrell wanted to split her time on DS9 season 7 with Becker and wanted to be a recurring character instead of main cast. Instead, Berman got pissed off and just fired her.

From The 50 Year Mission:

quote:

According to Farrell, when her Deep Space Nine contract was expiring following the end of season six, she requested that she appear in fewer episodes, noting the sheer number of regular and recurring characters featured on the show, which would allow her to work fewer hours.

“Basically he was trying to bully me into saying yes. He was convinced that my cards were going to fold and I was going to sign up. He had [another] producer come up to me and say, “If you weren’t here, you know you’d be working at Kmart.” I was, like, “What the hell are you talking about? I had a career before this. Why the hell would I be working at Kmart? Who are you?” Just to be jerky, he’d call me in my trailer: “Have you been thinking about it yet? Are you going to sign?” Like, right before I had a scene. It was that kind of thing. Rick Berman said I was hardballing him, and I was, like, “I’m not. I just want to have a conversation. You’re giving me a take-it-or-leave-it offer and I’m not okay with that.” So I finally did have a conversation with him and asked to cut down my number of episodes or just let me out.”

Ira Steven Behr:
“Let’s put it this way: if I had known what was going on, I would have stopped it. There is no doubt in my mind, because that opened a whole can of worms, and I learned more than I wanted to know what was happening under my nose and behind my back of things that were going on. I would have walked over to the Cooper Building and in one conversation I would have stopped that from happening, but everyone chose not to tell me for various reasons. Including, as I found out, to protect me from having to get in someone’s face and what that would mean for my position and stuff like that. And I said that was all ridiculous.”

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Craptacular! posted:

Someone on AV Club or somewhere who met Shimerman said this was over money. Farrell knew that the rest of the cast were career actors but she was a model hired for appearances, and youthful beauty never lasts, so she wanted to be paid as much as the top cast were since DS9 was going to be by far the biggest chunk of her whole Hollywood career. They didn't want to pay her as much as the other top people, so she left to pursue roles that paid better.

That's not what Farrell says (though it could have contributed to it). She was offered a bigger role on Becker and she offered to go down to a recurring role rather than regular, arguing that the cast by then included tons of recurring characters and nobody would miss Jadzia if she was only in 1/3 of the season. Berman went all or nothing so Farrell walked because Becker was (in her mind) the better gambit.

The bit about the guest role is something she's only said recently afaik and her story had been, up until now, that she thought Becker was a way to break out of a sci-fi typecast.

e:f;b

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I'm rewatching TNG s5e17 The Outcast, and it's actually a pretty drat good breakdown of gender identity. To the point where I feel like culture has gotten way, way dumber since it aired. gently caress Berman for nixing the idea of casting a man in that role, though.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Basically, when in doubt of something lovely or stupid going down in that era of Trek, it’s a pretty safe bet to blame Berman...

...or Braga.

Anyway this may be my most important observation about Voyager to this point: I never realized until now that the Intrepid class looks like a giant micropenis. You’re welcome.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XNTr3tUCXY

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Where the gently caress is he going, even?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Has anybody watched a significant amount of Avery Brooks' old show A Man Called Hawk? Because the few episodes I can find online own and own hard. Basically Brooks is as black and cool as humanly possible and they never explain what the hell his job title is, but he has to be CIA. He's untouchable. He can shoot bad guys in broad daylight in Washington DC, he can boss the cops around, he negotiates with the Feds on equal footing, and he knows every underworld thing going on.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
A Man Called Hawk is actually a spin off of Spenser For Hire and he's insanely badass in that on the regular too

there's a complication of his best stuff on youtube from those shows

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

I only know about Spenser for Hire and A Man Called Hawk from that MTV (VH1?) show I Love the 80s, but legend has it Avery Brooks wasn't allowed to be bald in early DS9 so people wouldn't associate him with Hawk.

Which is madness, they should have leaned into it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Humerus posted:

I only know about Spenser for Hire and A Man Called Hawk from that MTV (VH1?) show I Love the 80s, but legend has it Avery Brooks wasn't allowed to be bald in early DS9 so people wouldn't associate him with Hawk.

Which is madness, they should have leaned into it.

I like the idea of Sisko being a well-known loose cannon that everyone just sort of gives a wide berth if they can help it.

I have a vision in my head of Sisko silently turning off a communication when the Admiral he's talking to pisses him off. The Admiral thinks it's over.

Hours later, a shuttle slams against the outer hull. Sisko kicks in the window, hops out of his runabout, walks up to the Admiral.

Slaps him once with the back of his hand.

Gets back into the runabout, flies off at full impulse.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Yeah... I’m only a few episodes in, but I’m finding Voyager to be more dull than I was expecting.

I like the theme music, Janeway, Chuck Otay, maaaaybe Paris, and of course Emergency Comedic Relief Hologram. Everyone else is super-trope-y and/or boring.

How can I be this many episodes deep and still no one on the show has explained why the ship has articulated warp nacelles and has to move them to go to warp? (Unless I missed some dialogue.)

Anyway, my excitement for unseen Trek that was already tempered by everything I had read and heard has taken an even more drastic nosedive.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Chuck Otay.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The Space Adventures of John Luck Pickerd and Chuck Otay

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Kibayasu posted:

Chuck Otay.

He's the blandest white guy you met at college. He's totally into native American stuff after taking one semester of archeology and can totally tell you all about spiritual journeys and stuff.

Also, he doesn't have his shuttle pilot's license, but how hard could it be, it's space, there's nothing to hit.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I was rolling my eyes hard in the pilot when rapscallion Paris was asking Mr. Otay why he couldn’t just transform into a bird and fly away since he was a Native American (or whatever he is). Also something about Wookie Life Debts.

Edit: Everyone is way too cheerful about being stranded 70,000 light years away from home. I don’t remember the NX crew being this lighthearted about having to traverse the expanse cut off from any support.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 7, 2020

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Longbaugh01 posted:

I was rolling my eyes hard in the pilot when rapscallion Paris was asking Mr. Otay why he couldn’t just transform into a bird and fly away since he was a Native American (or whatever he is). Also something about Wookie Life Debts.

Edit: Everyone is way too cheerful about being stranded 70,000 light years away from home. I don’t remember the NX crew being this lighthearted about having to traverse the expanse cut off from any support.

To be fair the NX crew didn't have replicators or holodecks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Holodeck can recreate people enough people can start to fall in love with them. Plenty of precedent for that. Miss your family and friends back home? Just holodeck your homesickness away with the bonus freedom to derail the traintracks near your house.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Work stress you out? You can have sex with and/or murder your coworkers!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Angry_Ed posted:

To be fair the NX crew didn't have replicators or holodecks

Well A. They wouldn’t know what they were missing anyway and had a full galley and Chef.

B. Voyager already ran out of enough power to use the replicators by at least episode 3.

I think my point has been missed that there is no sense of being in this fairly dire predicament. It’s not just about homesickness and missing people, it’s about being in a completely uncharted, and probably dangerous, area of the galaxy without any hope of Federation support (yes I know they gently caress this up later), yet there being no sense of this among any of the crew so far. I know it’s a Star Trek show, and I know it’s early, but you really should feel what the stakes are. And yes you could argue that both previous Enterprise crews were in similar circumstances, but they had the means of support, replenishment, and shore leave on safe and official facilities.

Basically what I’m saying is that nothing about Voyager has impressed me so far in comparison. Interesting set up premise. Poor execution. Thus far.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Longbaugh01 posted:

Interesting set up premise. Poor execution. Thus far.

Remove the thus far and you get voyager.txt

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Longbaugh01 posted:

Well A. They wouldn’t know what they were missing anyway and had a full galley and Chef.

B. Voyager already ran out of enough power to use the replicators by at least episode 3.

I think my point has been missed that there is no sense of being in this fairly dire predicament. It’s not just about homesickness and missing people, it’s about being in a completely uncharted, and probably dangerous, area of the galaxy without any hope of Federation support (yes I know they gently caress this up later), yet there being no sense of this among any of the crew so far. I know it’s a Star Trek show, and I know it’s early, but you really should feel what the stakes are. And yes you could argue that both previous Enterprise crews were in similar circumstances, but they had the means of support, replenishment, and shore leave on safe and official facilities.

Basically what I’m saying is that nothing about Voyager has impressed me so far in comparison. Interesting set up premise. Poor execution. Thus far.
Oh I don't think people missed that point, because that's the main criticism of the entire show. They waste a good premise almost instantly and then go on making TNG Mk.2, just with a blander crew. Every episode in which they encounter something that should have consequences (major obstacle on the way home, but also magic technology that could bring them home faster) almost everything is reset to how it was before that episode, with few exceptions. There's one short arc hinting at what could have been in a later season, but IIRC that also gets resolved and reset after the 2-3 episodes it lasts.

There are a few fun episodes in VOY but overall it's just a great example of how to waste a potentially great setup to make something safe but average instead.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

orcane posted:

There are a few fun episodes in VOY but overall it's just a great example of how to waste a potentially great setup to make something safe but average instead.

...And I have seven seasons to get through :negative:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sash! posted:

Work stress you out? You can have sex with and/or murder your coworkers!

That was a pretty good Black Mirror

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Off the top of my head, I can't think of an early-Voyager episode that is really, really worth watching until The Thaw. Which, it turns out, is one of the best episodes of the series.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I mostly stuck to a list of the good voyager episodes, and it still took me like three years to get through it. So bland and uninspiring.

Should probably watch literally any other Star Trek show instead. Everyone ITT likes to poo poo on Enterprise and Discovery, but they are both so much more interesting and entertaining than Voyager.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The plot of Voyager is mostly garbage (especially compared to DS9) but the crew gets better once 7of9 shows up, I liked most of the Seven and Doctor episodes but they don't come until later in the series. The beginning was particularly dire.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Captain Morningperson is so worried about the crew’s morale she has described Mr. Chuck Otay as a “Bear-type.” :stare: during a discussion about animal sprit guides. Chuck says his is actually a female. It’s probably a Cat-Girl.

marktheando posted:

Everyone ITT likes to poo poo on Enterprise and Discovery, but they are both so much more interesting and entertaining than Voyager.

I already think I know I liked Enterprise better than this, but I can dislike Discovery for many different reasons.

Edit: Tomcat wants to show Pavel-I mean Harry something. Harry is distracted talking about remembering being in his mother’s womb. Asks Paris what he wants to show him...
Paris replies: “Nothing that’ll compare to that memory of your mother’s womb!” :stare:

Edit2: Is a lizard being Janeway’s spirit animal unintentional foreshadowing?

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 7, 2020

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

They only have a chef because they need to keep Neelix busy so he won't get any other Voyager crew killed (not that this plan works.) But yes, Voyager does basically nothing with its premise.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Captain Morningperson is so worried about the crew’s morale she has described Mr. Chuck Otay as a “Bear-type.” :stare: during a discussion about animal sprit guides. Chuck says his is actually a female. It’s probably a Cat-Girl.

I already think I know I liked Enterprise better than this, but I can dislike Discovery for many different reasons.

Edit: Tomcat wants to show Pavel-I mean Harry something. Harry is distracted talking about remembering being in his mother’s womb. Asks Paris what he wants to show him...
Paris replies: “Nothing that’ll compare to that memory of your mother’s womb!” :stare:

Harry's sexual repression is extremely compelling.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Longbaugh01 posted:

How can I be this many episodes deep and still no one on the show has explained why the ship has articulated warp nacelles and has to move them to go to warp? (Unless I missed some dialogue.)

You didn’t miss anything - the nacelles tilt to allow Voyager to travel past the warp speed limit from TNG but it was never explained on screen, only in behind the scenes documentation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Lizards and salamanders are less related than humans and cats.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Longbaugh01 posted:

...And I have seven seasons to get through :negative:

There are good Voyager episodes, but you just kind of have to accept the show squanders its premise and is TNG Again But Worse.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dukat was such a good villain. You love to hate the smug son of a bitch.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

There's a handful of decent Voyager episodes in the beginning, the one with the Romulan ship through a narrow wormhole, the one where The Doctor plays Beowulf....The 37s? I like it anyway.

But tbh nothing of value is lost if you skip ahead to Scorpion and watch it that way, but what are you gonna do if you don't watch all of Voyager? Something useful? Unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The 37s was pretty awful but you should watch it just for the amazing ending :haw: