Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Bootcha posted:

Old "Eight Hoses" Man.

They add a hose for each year its been in development. So the official model should be up to 9 this year.

Edit: tax

Armadillo Tank fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i love how Citizens have their own personal lore on star citizen development and why certain things happen

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Inacio posted:

i love how Citizens have their own personal lore on star citizen development and why certain things happen

"The refactor has been changed" is such a clueless manager thing to say

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

sunaurus posted:

How can you blame them, when CI¬G keeps using the term “refactor” to denote all kinds of code changes except any that could actually count as code refactoring? If they can't trust a guy who last touched code a quarter of a century ago, who can they trust to get these things right? :D

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Inacio posted:

CIG will say a few throw away lines and then the Citizen Defense Brigade will just run wild with it. It’s why CIG barely even bothers with PR anymore. They know the cult will just do all of the work for them for free.

They seem to be heavily harping now on the idea that all sorts of amazing tech is actually in the game but hasn’t been fully turned on yet. But, I’m sure the Crobbler is working day and night on re-writing the physics from his yacht in the Mediterranean.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 7, 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lobsterminator posted:

I wish someone made a game that took inspiration from Chris Foss and Moebius instead of the generic greeble filled stuff that all games are.
I guess No Man's Sky is kinda Moebius inspired at least in its colors.

So... Homeworld and House of the Dying Sun?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tippis posted:

How can you blame them, when CI¬G keeps using the term “refactor” to denote all kinds of code changes except any that could actually count as code refactoring? If they can't trust a guy who last touched code a quarter of a century ago, who can they trust to get these things right? :D

FUD! Chris himself has been working night and day doing the physics refactor, which is why things are broken!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zushio posted:

for an unreleased Lord of Light movie

Never knew about that. I quite enjoyed that book.

Personally though i'd love to see someone take a shot at making the Amber novels into films.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

lobsterminator posted:

I wish someone made a game that took inspiration from Chris Foss

A space game with Chris Foss based spaceships? Where do i pledge?!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So... Homeworld and House of the Dying Sun?

I guess Homeworld fits the bill. It was pretty, but for the most part you just looked at tiny ships from afar.

I hadn't heard of House of the Dying Sun, but a quick google image search looks interesting!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

CIG will say a few throw away lines and then the Citizen Defense Brigade will just run wild with it. It’s why CIG barely even bothers with PR anymore. They know the cult will just do all of the work for them for free.

They seem to be heavily harping now on the idea that all sorts of amazing tech is actually in the game but hasn’t been fully turned on yet. But, I’m sure the Crobbler is working day and night on re-writing the physics from his yacht in the Mediterranean.

My favorite recent fantasy is that all of the one-time mechanics like ship skins that they built into one ship as a sales gimmick and dropped forever are not actually dropped, they're just waiting. See it's an alpha so all they really needed was to test the system on one ship, and they've done that! When it gets to beta they'll just flip a switch and boop all the other ships will suddenly have exactly the same level of depth and customization! Why don't they just flip that now and test the other ships? Shut up! gently caress you!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

My favorite recent fantasy is that all of the one-time mechanics like ship skins that they built into one ship as a sales gimmick and dropped forever are not actually dropped, they're just waiting. See it's an alpha so all they really needed was to test the system on one ship, and they've done that! When it gets to beta they'll just flip a switch and boop all the other ships will suddenly have exactly the same level of depth and customization! Why don't they just flip that now and test the other ships? Shut up! gently caress you!

You just don't understand game development. If they flipped the switch then there would be too much game mechanics and players would be distracted and focusing on the wrong things. CIG needs to portion out the functionality so that new features (that come with different $700 ships) are tested properly.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Enchanted Hat posted:

I know it's a stupid question when considering this whole project, but why are they spending time iterating on that? The suit design was just fine the first time around, mark it "done" and move on!

It is easy to form an opinion about the look of the suit, anybody can do it. Meanwhile, testing if your software works is pretty hard. Roberts can do the first, but not the second, and he has to feel like he's doing something so he has to concentrate on the stuff he can do, which is on the "anybody can do it" level.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

trucutru posted:

It is easy to form an opinion about the look of the suit, anybody can do it. Meanwhile, testing if your software works is pretty hard. Roberts can do the first, but not the second, and he has to feel like he's doing something so he has to concentrate on the stuff he can do, which is on the "anybody can do it" level.

It really is a primary indicator of someone promoted beyond their competency. It also indicates they know that on some level and limit themselves mostly to loving around the edges where they are comfortable.

Allow others to do the actual technical and artistic work and limit yourself to the subjective choices, and maybe create a pretend "physics refactor" that no one will ever be allowed to review. That's top management material right there.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sarsapariller posted:

Yeah but that was the writer-developer who noticed SC is years from being an actual alpha. And decided therefore that everything is good.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
My Star Citizen development headcannon says that..........

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Experimental Skin posted:

It really is a primary indicator of someone promoted beyond their competency. It also indicates they know that on some level and limit themselves mostly to loving around the edges where they are comfortable.

Allow others to do the actual technical and artistic work and limit yourself to the subjective choices, and maybe create a pretend "physics refactor" that no one will ever be allowed to review. That's top management material right there.

I always like to point out an interview with Miyazaki, the director of dark souls, which shows a way for a good director to get the best from their artists and still have time to concentrate on all the other stuff.

quote:

Otsuka: It seems that your direction was at times quite abstract

Miyazaki: According to the artists, it was, but I believe that if your instructions are too specific, the designs you get will be somewhat devoid of creativity, so I try to give out just the most basic, essential information before handing it over to the artists' imaginations, which inevitable eclipses my own. My initial instructions are certainly abstract. For example, when designing equipment I'd simply say "make something you can trust with your life on the battlefield", or "make something that has enchantments to protect you". I think the artists probably didn't know what I was talking about half the time.

Waragai: That's true.

Miyazaki: I'm sorry. Of course, If I don't get what I want, I start giving more specific descriptions and I might even start drawing things on the whiteboard, but even then I'd never go so far as to say "it has to be this colour or this shape", I don't want the designers to become my tools. It doesn't always go as I want, but I think that's probably due to me not getting the best out of the artists, and this is something I want to get better at in the future.

Otsuka: It's similar when I put a book together, I understand how you feel.

Miyazaki: With this game, some fantastic images came from the initial concept stage, for example Lautrec's "Armour of Favour". If we had simply concentrated on what was required rather than trying to experiment, I don't think something like this would have been created. In order to get this from my designers, I tried talking to them about all sorts of things, for example I spoke at length with Nakamura about philosophy.

And Lautrec's armor rocks, I believe the instructions were "A mother's embrace"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Agony Aunt posted:

Personally though i'd love to see someone take a shot at making the Amber novels into films.
Generally you don't want to make movies where the third book of the proverbial trilogy was never finished, I'm not sure how you do with missing five books.

Or maybe I'm thinking of a different series.

trucutru posted:

I always like to point out an interview with Miyazaki, the director of dark souls, which shows a way for a good director to get the best from their artists and still have time to concentrate on all the other stuff.
Those quotes are amazing. Dark souls had such amazing direction. Comparing Roberts to actual talented people is beyond hilarious. We forget what good, charismatic, intelligent creative types look like sometimes.

If you haven't seen the interviews with the director for Doom Eternal it's like the anti-Chris. He talks up other game studios, talks up playing other games, talks up his son beating him at Fortnite. Admits to all the things he did wrong and talks about how id had very little churn between games and how wonderful it was that people can argue in the studio and tell him he's wrong. He got up on stage and played Doom Eternal on nightmare and got his rear end kicked and the crowd went wild.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

sunaurus posted:

Another couple of scrums, and it’ll be right as rain. Then they can restore the Amazons and scale up from there with multiple engines. It’s all about the bits and the optimizations you can make there. Obviously 255 000 is bigger than 255, so you cram more into the pixel.

Some people just don’t ‘get’ game development.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

I guess Homeworld fits the bill. It was pretty, but for the most part you just looked at tiny ships from afar.

I hadn't heard of House of the Dying Sun, but a quick google image search looks interesting!

Goon developed, the thread was full of Foss fans.

Flotilla is a little turn-based capital ship thing that has a fun aesthetic, too.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.

Hav posted:

Another couple of scrums, and it’ll be right as rain. Then they can restore the Amazons and scale up from there with multiple engines. It’s all about the bits and the optimizations you can make there. Obviously 255 000 is bigger than 255, so you cram more into the pixel.

Some people just don’t ‘get’ game development.

I swear there was a post on reddit a few months ago that read exactly like this, and people were commenting about how good it was to hear praise for the game from people who "clearly" work in the industry

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Meanwhile in Starbase, they continue to lap CIG at an astonishing pace. Just the tools they've slapped together in the last few months easily eclipse anything in Star Citizen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggSH5vDBCPI

Still very concerned about the netcode and long term server stability of this game, but at this point I'll play it just to build spaceships.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Tippis posted:

Chris Roberts posted:

Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. ... It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
SaltEMike: is Star Citizen turning into DayZ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6kZnBzo7qY

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

This was the other nonsensical hat I was thinking of too.

I'm really interested in how CR has this huge vision and oversees individual pieces of clothing for NPCs, and then stuff like this comes out and it just makes no sense.

But whatever, I'm not an art perfectionist. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

stinch posted:

when are they going to introduce grocery shopping? interuppting your commandos life of piracy, bounty hunting and smuggling to nip off down the shops and walking back to the wank pod through the station with bags of shopping.

In an emergency you can just dump out all you groceries and put the bag on your head for safety.

Or you can take off your bag hat and put groceries in it. This is some serious forward thinking design!

Looking forward to cosplay-guy using the THANK YOU THANK YOU grocery bag as a new helmet next year.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Enchanted Hat posted:

I know it's a stupid question when considering this whole project, but why are they spending time iterating on that? The suit design was just fine the first time around, mark it "done" and move on!

The first version wasn't an in game model.

The new one looks more like an in game model with the usual fare of 4K textures.

Sure your loading screens and hiccups will take forever to load, but if you can't read the fine print on the bottom of a salt shaker it's not fidelity.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m kind of tipsy and scrolling through Facebook, and the Big Data algorithms keep dredging up click bait poo poo about Skyrim. “Top 10 Skyrim Secrets!” And each one has hundreds of thousands of likes and comments.

People need to get the gently caress over that game, it wasn’t that good. I mean the world was fun to explore and all, but it had an extremely thin half-assed story and characters, that just dragged you into endless fetch quests. It also had a gutted and dumbed down character progression stat/progression system, and janky-rear end boring button-smashing combat.

Basically all of the poo poo that people complained about with Fallout 4, Skyrim was also guilty of, but everyone just gives it a pass for some reason. I guess because back in TYOL 2011 there wasn’t much other choice when it came to open world single player RPGs.

In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrasts and Star Citizen is good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think everyone gives it a pass, just people who aren't super into gaming. people on more gaming focused sites have talked poo poo about skyrim basically since it came out

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Skyrim and Fallout 3 are "mainstream breakthroughs" that put them in the COD class of discussion

Except with Skyrim the company is such a mismanaged pile of fuckwits they haven't made a sequel even though they've poo poo all over the design and writing and FO4 proves you can shovel whatever FO4 was and brand momentum will carry the day.

I watched the Bethesda days stuff about Doom Eternal and chat was 40% people mocking FO76 and 40% people threatening to hang themselves over no TES news with the last bit "Starfield is going to suck" and then a little about how FPS games suck now with a few comments directed at the actual stream.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

colonelwest posted:

I’m kind of tipsy and scrolling through Facebook, and the Big Data algorithms keep dredging up click bait poo poo about Skyrim. “Top 10 Skyrim Secrets!” And each one has hundreds of thousands of likes and comments.

People need to get the gently caress over that game, it wasn’t that good. I mean the world was fun to explore and all, but it had an extremely thin half-assed story and characters, that just dragged you into endless fetch quests. It also had a gutted and dumbed down character progression stat/progression system, and janky-rear end boring button-smashing combat.

Basically all of the poo poo that people complained about with Fallout 4, Skyrim was also guilty of, but everyone just gives it a pass for some reason. I guess because back in TYOL 2011 there wasn’t much other choice when it came to open world single player RPGs.

In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrasts and Star Citizen is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD3PT0RHegg

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

You know, that scene really choked me up. I take it back, I give Skyrim an 11 out of 10.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

Like to come back to something awful for this thread once or twice a year now as a way of reflecting on my life.

Since Star Citizen's kickstarter I have:

Graduated high school
Had a gap year
Lost my virginity
Had a sex change
Graduated college
Moved cities
Written my MA thesis
Started a doctoral program

and all along I've been enjoying the most open game development process in history, thank you Star Citizen, thank you Chris!

Hope all of the thread regulars are well!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Quavers posted:

SaltEMike: is Star Citizen turning into DayZ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6kZnBzo7qY

"As they get more experienced at building ships they get better at it" - Mike

They've spent 8 years building ships. Slow learners or what?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

"As they get more experienced at building ships they get better at it" - Mike

They've spent 8 years building ships. Slow learners or what?

The odds increase every year, and I would say are potentially likely now, that a team of equal size with equal funding could have built a semi-functional spaceship by now.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Lost my virginity
Had a sex change

God drat that must have been a bad experience

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Happy Sisyphus posted:

Like to come back to something awful for this thread once or twice a year now as a way of reflecting on my life.

Graduated high school
Had a gap year
Lost my virginity
Had a sex change
Graduated college
Moved cities
Written my MA thesis
Started a doctoral program

and all along I've been enjoying the most open game development process in history, thank you Star Citizen, thank you Chris!

Hope all of the thread regulars are well!

If you think about this way... it's somewhat amazing.

I've
- Finished my masters degree
- Became a father
- Got a solid 9-17 job
- Did not have a sex change
- Sold my gaming rig ...
- ... because I just don't play that much anymore
since backing the game.

The more I think about it... I've become a space dad. I don't really play games anymore but instead doing other things (not theorycrafting over on reddit or spectrum, though). I should be hooked on star citizen since over the years I fell into the exact demographic Chris' caters to.
Yet, I look at the project from time to time and am still fascinated with the amount of incompetence, waste, lies and cult-ish feel that whole thing is surrounded with.

If I scroll through reddit I catch myself from time to time thinking: "What if I'am wrong and they will really deliver the BDSSE, what if they really craft something special, never-been-done before? Why this negativity?", but after looking further this is just due to my increased distance from the project. Maybe the same effect newcomers have, it looks all pretty shiny on the outside. But after a deeper look I realize it's still the same, buggy mess full of broken promises it was the years ago, still lacking the same core foundations.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

trucutru posted:

And Lautrec's armor rocks, I believe the instructions were "A mother's embrace"

These are interesting quotes indeed.

I like how humble he comes across, stating as a fact that the creativity from his artists when designing an item will eclipse his own. If the work is not what he imagined he blames himself for not getting the point across correctly. This is some leadership right here.

Now take Chris Roberts:
- "This is the worst chat interface I've ever seen, it will die horribly" ... yeah, right you fuckwit. People spend lots of hours (and backer money) on it and at some point I would assume you greenlit it. But probably you haven't and this was the first time you've actually played your game. But instead of taking responsibility for that it's easier to poo poo on someone else work. Classy.
- He genuinely thinks he is a big visionary, and in contrast to Miyazaki, he sees his artists as tools because he simply doesn't have the time to do it all by himself. He doesn't trust them in the slightest. Everything needs to be second-guessed and "improved" by him.
- He has absolutely no problem throwing people under the bus. Some deadline missed? Yeah, my underlings weren't up to the task, I should have done it myself. He doesn't waste one single thought that maybe his leadership is the problem here.

tldr; CR lacks the management skills and he doesn't have the human maturity to lead people. He comes across like the kid we all knew from elementary school who knew everything better.
I'am pretty sure this was also the reason publishers laughed him out the door. Just the way he comes across should tell someone with a bit of knowledge of human nature that this guy is a hack and absolutely unfit for leadership. Giving him money and people is a sure way to let it all go to waste.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

Never knew about that. I quite enjoyed that book.

The Zelazny books? That could maybe turn out interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gee, 8 years of Citizenship, what have I done? Not necessarily in chronological order but in reasonably logical fashion, I

- became a qualified ICT trainer
- bought a caravan with a loan and paid that off
- sold the caravan for practically nothing when I was forced to move
- moved house to a great little apartment much nicer than a caravan

- played gigs for the first time in 30 years and surprised myself with how good that felt and decided maybe I should actually do music again.
- taught myself ukulele and started teaching myself electric guitar
- bought 3 ukuleles, 1 synth, 1 drum machine, 3 guitars and a bass guitar, and will finish paying off a 2nd bass this month. Also a lot of pedals and half a household of stuff.
- wrote maybe 30 songs and at least 35 parody songs.
- learnt a new DAW

- taught myself PDP-11 assembly language and other nerd things
- bought a new computer with a loan and paid that off
- bought a better video card for that computer
- bought several other cheaper computers/laptops still in use

- got a cat but he died. So I got another cat, she lives!
- 2 strokes. Still recovering.

- better coffee. I feel this might be the turning-point. :v: