Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Eej posted:

Yeah it can get you high and also some people have used it (off label of course) in high doses to control weight. Which is frightening because imagine how bloated Trump would be if he wasn't constantly popping stimulants to make his metabolism churn energy for no reason.

It's used as weight control because it's an appetite suppressant. It doesn't do anything to directly control whether you lose or gain weight, same as any stimulant medication. Dexedrine was the one used for weight loss for this reason, and it does, in fact, make you forget that you're hungry (I barely ate when I got it as an RX and was furious 24/7, so-- wasn't really a good match for me).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

He pops british sufafed like candy. A drawer full of it was in his trump tower pic with the taco bowl.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/sudafed-trump-tower/

Snopes debunked that because of the box design on the Sudafed.

It's a US mucus relief version, which doesn't have pseudoephedrine, it has phenylephrine as its active ingredient, which can't get you high.

Does Trump pop adderall or some other crap to give him a bump? most likely, because he will be dopey as hell and then lit up like a christmas tree later.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Milo and POTUS posted:

So... that'll get you high? Cuz I doubt he's whipping it up himself

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenylephrine

Doctors use it to spike low blood pressure and dialate pupils, I suppose you could trip balls if you ate enough tablets.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Old Boot posted:

It's used as weight control because it's an appetite suppressant. It doesn't do anything to directly control whether you lose or gain weight, same as any stimulant medication. Dexedrine was the one used for weight loss for this reason, and it does, in fact, make you forget that you're hungry (I barely ate when I got it as an RX and was furious 24/7, so-- wasn't really a good match for me).

Oh right derp, some pharmacist I am

Also nevermind previous tweet!

https://twitter.com/roxicology/status/1236413744898588678

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Old Boot posted:

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1236319297414344705

I am concerned about my folks, TBH. They're both in their mid-70s.

I am less concerned about Congress.

read the replies to skip the coronavirus and just die right now

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Nephzinho posted:

Can Florida even be considered a swing state anymore?

It’s the swingiest of swing states. The winner is typically <1%

But that’s not the whole story. Like any other state there’s pockets of red / blue and as a whole it’s a purple state. But gerrymandered districts hosed with things for decades and the unwinding process is still having an impact given it’s only been 2 elections (I think, maybe 3) since the courts weighed in.

(Warning: Long)
Roughly speaking you have:

Northern FL - running from Pensacola to Tallahassee is red as can be. It’s effectively lower Alabama / Georgia. Jacksonville is red too, but less so then Northwest FL. It has this mix of military families, finance, retirees / snowbirds that seem to find enough common cause to outweigh the black vote. It was the base of the one of the most gerrymandered districts in the nation that reliably voted a black congress woman [url= https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrine_Brown]Corrine Brown[/url] for 24 (corrupt as gently caress) years until the redistricting took effect and her base of support evaporated and the district sent a black congressman instead. Then you have the GOP stronghold of “The Villages” which is a manufactured series of communities geared towards retirees who can’t afford to leave near the beach. They’re conservative as gently caress and the walking, breathing avatars of the FYGM ethos.

Southeast Florida - Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, etc. is very blue in the style of NYC liberals. Since thats where they all retired to. This is tempered by the high Cuban population which is traditionally very conservative - but we’re in 3rd and 4th generation Cuban Americans and so historical norms are starting to fray. This is where that fucker Marco Rubio is from, and his base largely seems to derive from this misguided sense of “one of us” by the Cuban population while his record is littered with instances where he sold out his constituents for political gain in the FL legislature. Combatting this as well is the other Central and South American diaspora communities in the region which tend to hew closer to national Hispanic trends on voting.

Southwest Florida - Naples mainly, is rich as gently caress. This is where Rick Scott is from and he’s been straight up a FYGM son of bitch from the beginning.

Central Florida - between Tampa and Daytona - is purple and the biggest swing region. On the west coast you have St. Pete and Clearwater which trend blue with retirees from up north. Then you have Tampa which is bluish - large military presence here, along with more retirees from the Midwest. As you head east on Interstate 4 it becomes more rural until you hit the outskirts of Disney. This rural area is largely known as Polk County and is poorer, redder, and more religious then the rest of the region. Disney area is a mix of Hispanic diaspora (increasingly due to Maria, but this is a multi-decade trend) and other lower income workers supporting the tourism / convention industry. Tends towards blue, but this region got hosed with the most by the redistricting fight and so things are still muddled. Moving further east along the highway you have the rural area between Orlando and Daytona. Again redder then the rest but not too red. Daytona trends red, high tourist/ retiree section with NASA and the AFB a bit south.

Central FL is where you find a high concentration of voters coupled with ever-shifting political loyalties. The region is still booming, and I expect the state will net +2 EC votes after the census, and most of those people will be in CFL. Which is why voter turn out and voter suppression efforts are underway here, particularly wrt new PR residents who are largely Spanish-only.

If the DNC wants to win FL, they’ll need to focus on CFL Hispanic voters in particular. It’s the largest community in which you can make inroads and have a chance to translate that into voters. But last I heard, these voters are also the least likely to be registered to voter and / or culled from the rolls.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Two people in the GBS coronavirus thread with coronavirus exposure and symptoms of something but no testing yet, including mod Jose.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's also worth noting re: Florida that there's a huge number of former felons that are going to be allowed to register and vote in the next election, which could be huge in countering its Republican swing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's also worth noting re: Florida that there's a huge number of former felons that are going to be allowed to register and vote in the next election, which could be huge in countering its Republican swing.

Don't they have to pay a bunch of money etc before they can?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Why would they vote for anyone but the guy who crimed all the way to the top?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While I'd love to be optimistic about the re-enfranchised felons forcing Florida to be not-poo poo, Republicans have been doing everything in their power to ratfuck that outcome. It's not looking good last I read up on it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

That Works posted:

Don't they have to pay a bunch of money etc before they can?

All fines and court costs, which is a huge hurdle for many, but it's still being battled in the courts and was most recently ruled unconstitutional by a federal appeals court.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

DC has its first presumptive case of coronavirus. Mayor is supposed to give a press conference soon.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/dc-has-first-presumptive-coronavirus-case/2234068/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jesus Christ, poor Joe.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/...ingawful.com%2F

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

DC has its first presumptive case of coronavirus. Mayor is supposed to give a press conference soon.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/dc-has-first-presumptive-coronavirus-case/2234068/

And a Marine at Fort Belvoir in VA
https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2020/03/first-positive-test-for-coronavirus-confirmed-in-virginia/

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/ColbyItkowitz/status/1236446922250096646

:sickos:

LingcodKilla posted:

Why would they vote for anyone but the guy who crimed all the way to the top?

The Communist Manifesto posted:

The “dangerous class”, [lumpenproletariat] the social scum, that passively rotting mass thrown off by the lowest layers of the old society, may, here and there, be swept into the movement by a proletarian revolution; its conditions of life, however, prepare it far more for the part of a bribed tool of reactionary intrigue.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

So Covid-19 is a STD?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

lmao

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/p...b3-e25df380d699

dallas's fat rear end posted:

Dallas County Elections Administrator Toni Pippins-Poole discovered her office did not count about 10% of the ballots that voters cast on Super Tuesday.

She is now asking a court to let her conduct a manual recount of votes, after she discovered thumb drives containing ballots from 44 precincts that were not included in the final results.

It’s uncertain which 44 precincts are involved, how many votes are at issue, and whether the apparent winners from any races will change. Still, the 44 precincts represent almost 10% of the total precincts on Super Tuesday.

“We need to investigate this entirely, immediately. The time has absolutely come for Toni Pippins-Poole to step down as elections administrator,” Dallas County Commissioner J.J. Koch told WFAA. “I deeply regret that this is happening in Dallas County right now. There’s already enough questions about our ability to serve the people of Dallas County. This is tremendously damaging to our local democracy.”

Pippins-Poole filed the petition and affidavit in court late Friday, according to county officials.

In the affidavit accompanying the court petition, Pippins-Poole said she only made the discovery while reconciling the books and discovered she did not have enough ballots for everyone who showed up to vote.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
If you're going to report a post, please fill in the space that allows you to explain why you're reporting the post.

I'm not supposed to probate posters for dumb reports but goddamn it's tempting.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

McNally posted:

If you're going to report a post, please fill in the space that allows you to explain why you're reporting the post.

Name and shame

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

McNally posted:

I reported this post because I know you don't have it in you to give me a 6er.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Covid-19 may save America.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Hekk posted:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Hekk posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

You're right, I don't.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flikken posted:

Name and shame

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also: poo poo's going down in the House of Saud. Rumors are the King croaked and MBS is cleaning house.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1236501931272658944?s=19

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

McNally posted:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Flikken posted:

Name and shame

It was this poster

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Old Boot posted:

Not that I mind dunking on Trump, but is there any actual substance to the stimulant thing? Because last I checked the guy has been a Noted Teetotaler, even by people who both know and absolutely loathe him.

It is a fact that his eyes are consistently dilated in the face of bright lights, and I think anyone who saw the speech he gave after Iran launched missiles at the base could see that he was hosed up out of his skull, but the stimulant abuse thing is all basically opinion and hearsay.

I know... it's twitter, but this guy worked on The Apprentice for years, and every single day for years he's told stories about Trump. Just glance down his timeline. Some of the main themes are crushing and snorting adderall, and total lack of control over his bowels due to long-term stimulant abuse:
https://twitter.com/CaslerNoel?s=20

A (real) doctor, who I can't remember if he's addressed the pupils dilation and other indicators, but he addresses a lot of other things I wish more people would read about :
https://twitter.com/JohnMTalmadgeMD?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Wait, what? I sent you a blank report? If so, that was legit just a fuckup or misclick, sorry.

E: I regret to inform the world that I'm an idiot who is bad at internet link trickery.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 8, 2020

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

When you were first modded I asked you to probate me and you ignored it. IMO that makes you a stinky mod who stuffs poop into his ears and I won't rest until I have your name on my compendious rapsheet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

I plead the fifth!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Flikken posted:

Name and shame

I reported bird cooch for saying he'd vote for the MRE that shall not be named

Not even funny man

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Well, Trump hasn't tweeted in over 24 hours so it usually means something terrible has happened or a tremendous gently caress up is being badly covered up.

A Saudi royal family tree pruning is an interesting reason.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

not caring here posted:

Well, Trump hasn't tweeted in over 24 hours so it usually means something terrible has happened or a tremendous gently caress up is being badly covered up.

A Saudi royal family tree pruning is an interesting reason.

He's golfing at Mar-a-Lago, attending a fundraiser, and yammering about the coronavirus being no big deal.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hope he gets it and lets us know how minor it is

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Bigly boy has the bestest constitution better than my own, his doctor said so.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Knowing our luck and considering it's the worst of all plausible worlds, he'll almost certainly be fine. He's not remotely done doing damage. Hell, he might even attempt to suspend elections. Nothing would surprise me

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Knowing our luck and considering it's the worst of all plausible worlds, he'll almost certainly be fine. He's not remotely done doing damage. Hell, he might even attempt to suspend elections. Nothing would surprise me

Suspending elections won't happen, because it would imply that he wouldn't win it, which is showing weakness.

He will attempt to nullify any result which doesn't result in his overwhelming victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

If the outlook in the general election doesn't bode well for Trump, they will absolutely seize on any possible thing to postpone the election, and coronavirus could be the perfect opportunity.

If you think otherwise, you have not been paying attention to the Republican party. They are making great show of the idea that they can do anything they want to do.