Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
It’s a bad thing if you wish your game was being played by less people. I guess from a business perspective BSG doesn’t actually give a poo poo if you play at all/stick around.

When a AAA company that’s competent at game design and programming, and can afford a decent infrastructure, inevitably picks up this games style and detail, it may be full of MTX for lovely cosmetics but will probably be the better game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
VSS w/ a B-3 Combo=NCstar backup=Belomo (if you call it the pk06 ur dumb) is literally all you need to make it the literal best gun in the game bar none

(oh, and a magazine)

but really, is there a reason to use the ASVAL over the VSS? what can you do with it that you can't do with a VSS?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

InevitableCheese posted:

It’s a bad thing if you wish your game was being played by less people. I guess from a business perspective BSG doesn’t actually give a poo poo if you play at all/stick around.

That's correct. Nikita is trying to make his dream game, not the next Strand type game.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

I also understand that the end product is going to look nothing like the current game, but it’s popularity is wholly off it’s beta testing format. A pretty strange thing that I don’t think a lot of new players really understand or know about at all.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yes, I understand that, but you're wrong if you think Nikita gives a gently caress. He's not going to stop making his game because Reddit and Twitch don't understand what early access means.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's correct. Nikita is trying to make his dream game, not the next Strand type game.

well to be fair i think thats what kojima was doing as well lol

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

InevitableCheese posted:

When a AAA company that’s competent at game design and programming, and can afford a decent infrastructure, inevitably picks up this games style and detail, it may be full of MTX for lovely cosmetics but will probably be the better game.

extremely unlikely, clones are inevitably worse than whatever kicked off a genre/fad/whatever you want to call it

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Escape from Tarkov: Star Citizen for Gun Nuts

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I don't think Star Citizen is popular for its beta format tbf

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

InevitableCheese posted:

Escape from Tarkov: Star Citizen for Gun Nuts

tarkov is actually a game and functions on some level after a number of years so its more like no mans sky

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Stux posted:

extremely unlikely, clones are inevitably worse than whatever kicked off a genre/fad/whatever you want to call it

Disagree. For most games that started things off you can usually find a game that took a core concept and ran with it to make an even better game. Blizzard built an empire out of iterating on existing genres and polishing the hell out of them.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

VSS w/ a B-3 Combo=NCstar backup=Belomo (if you call it the pk06 ur dumb) is literally all you need to make it the literal best gun in the game bar none

(oh, and a magazine)

but really, is there a reason to use the ASVAL over the VSS? what can you do with it that you can't do with a VSS?

Where exactly are you mounting your backups? I had a FLIR on the main rail of a TX-15 and a wee little holo as a canted sight, but then I just had a big black dong in my face while using the backup.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

Disagree. For most games that started things off you can usually find a game that took a core concept and ran with it to make an even better game. Blizzard built an empire out of iterating on existing genres and polishing the hell out of them.

right but this is 2020 and blizzard cant even remaster wc3 correctly and everyone who tried to copy pubg and fortnite made a pile of garbage no one cares about, every clone of minecraft is trash, every bandwagon dev is now a team turning out something as soon as possible to get mtx income on mobile rather than a studio spending 5 years on a polished experience.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

What about Apex?

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

This game will end up in scope creep development hell I guarantee. They will nitpick and micromanage every tiny facet of the game to fit Nikitas vision for realism and at some point someone will come along and make a better, ‘funner’ game at a much faster pace.

I hope I’m wrong, because this game has so much potential and tends to surprise me with each update.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Nah that won't happen. Nikita’s team works at a breakneck pace and they have reliably delivered pretty much every feature they've promised so far.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

InevitableCheese posted:

i sincerely doubt it

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Stux posted:

right but this is 2020 and blizzard cant even remaster wc3 correctly and everyone who tried to copy pubg and fortnite made a pile of garbage no one cares about, every clone of minecraft is trash, every bandwagon dev is now a team turning out something as soon as possible to get mtx income on mobile rather than a studio spending 5 years on a polished experience.
Yeah Blizzard sucks now but when Hearthstone came out it was an amazing iteration on the genre.

For PUBG I liked the Black Ops blackout mode and Apex Legends much more. For Minecraft you can see how a ton of decent games came out of that formula. I'm not taking about quick cash in clones but games improving on the core gameplay. I could see a game company looking at Tarkov and coming up with something with a similar but more focused.

I'm liking Tarkov, but all the reactionary changes like cursing hatchlings or this flea market change do not give the impression he has a strong vision for the game. So far it looks like throwing things at the wall to see what sticks in between researching more guns and ammo types to put in.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Stux posted:

youre just playing the market and have no sense of what the progression is meant to be. the traders have infinite money and buy items by design its not some random accident, its them setting the basis for the economy while allowing them to adjust things. in a game where the economy is entirely or much more player driven things would probably get completely out of hand as a wipe goes on and money means less, having developer controlled price floors is an attempt to stop that happening.

Ah yes, the 'progression' that consists of half baked quests with some incredible RNG requirements. I've been reading a lot of reddit EFT posts lately (since people don't rely on personal attacks quite so frequently there as they do over here), and someone said they literally never saw a single white armor from 0 to 40 and wouldn't have completed that quest if not for the flea. Someone else did ~35 (16 survived) interchange raids before they managed to extract with a gas analyzer (on a scav, never saw any on their PMC). Now, I don't know that they were telling the truth, but if they were, then the quests have some serious flaws.

Stux posted:

That's because this is the darkest timeline and we're living in the weird mirror universe. At least we still have Factorio.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Mar 8, 2020

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

IIRC they use different skills. One uses assault rifles and the other uses marksman rifles.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

Someday Tarkov will be Fortnite’d, and this game will turn into what it’s aiming for and the majority of its player base currently will move on. And that’s fine and I’m sure what Nikita intends anyways. He’s said repeatedly on podcasts that his hopes for the game were to have a sub-30k dedicated playerbase.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DrBox posted:

I'm liking Tarkov, but all the reactionary changes like cursing hatchlings or this flea market change do not give the impression he has a strong vision for the game. So far it looks like throwing things at the wall to see what sticks in between researching more guns and ammo types to put in.

That's because the community is incredibly reactionary and when it gets really loud Nikita feels pressured to respond. He's close with the community for better or for worse. The terrible reactionary changes are always Reddit or streamer inspired.

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

And like a lot of games, that responsiveness to community feedback will bring massive amounts of scope creep and feature micromanaging. Hopefully they have the ability to stay focused and deal with its popularity responsibly.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

Yeah Blizzard sucks now but when Hearthstone came out it was an amazing iteration on the genre.

For PUBG I liked the Black Ops blackout mode and Apex Legends much more. For Minecraft you can see how a ton of decent games came out of that formula. I'm not taking about quick cash in clones but games improving on the core gameplay. I could see a game company looking at Tarkov and coming up with something with a similar but more focused.

blackout and apex suck real bad and died immediately because of it and nothing came anywhere close to being as good or as big as minecraft. people will probably take parts of the game and use them well elsewhere like some of the not-direct-clones of minecraft did like nms as it is now has, as itclearly has parts of it in a completely different game. but the direct clones almost always suck badly and only blizzard ever really did well doing that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ambaire posted:

Ah yes, the 'progression' that consists of half baked quests with some incredible RNG requirements. I've been reading a lot of reddit EFT posts lately (since people don't rely on personal attacks quite so frequently there as they do over here), and someone said they literally never saw a single white armor from 0 to 40 and wouldn't have completed that quest if not for the flea. Someone else did ~35 (16 survived) interchange raids before they managed to extract with a gas analyzer (on a scav, never saw any on their PMC). Now, I don't know that they were telling the truth, but if they were, then the quests have some serious flaws.

That's because this is the darkest timeline and we're living in the weird mirror universe. At least we still have Factorio.

wasnt making a qualitative judgement on if the progression is good or bad but pointing out you genuinely dont know it exists and how it informs the things youre talking about. its not just random or arbitrary. and i was talking outside of quests, we were talking about why trader pricing is there and why they dont have a limited money pool. why magboxes have a price floor intentionally put there by the developers etc.

like you asked "Do you ever wonder why you almost never see items listed on the flea market for less than x price?" which is such a wild question to ask, its because theyre deciding they want price floors on items and seeing how less controlled game economies spiral out of control its probably a good idea overall. this way all that happens is the people whove played all wipe get really rich but new players dont get priced out of being able to afford things because of insane price inflation.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Stux posted:

like you asked "Do you ever wonder why you almost never see items listed on the flea market for less than x price?" which is such a wild question to ask

It was a rhetorical question, implying that reason was because if x item is listed for less than what it can be sold to a vendor for, savvy people will buy it out and vendor it for the profit. I even talked about it with regard to the magazine case.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Stux posted:

blackout and apex suck real bad and died immediately because of it and nothing came anywhere close to being as good or as big as minecraft. people will probably take parts of the game and use them well elsewhere like some of the not-direct-clones of minecraft did like nms as it is now has, as itclearly has parts of it in a completely different game. but the direct clones almost always suck badly and only blizzard ever really did well doing that.

Apex is cool and good and consistently in the top 10 on Twitch and I have never had a problem finding a match. Your definition of dead game is as bad as your taste. Anyway, what I was saying is someone could make an excellent not-direct-clone of Tarkov like your NMS to Minecraft example.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

That's because the community is incredibly reactionary and when it gets really loud Nikita feels pressured to respond. He's close with the community for better or for worse. The terrible reactionary changes are always Reddit or streamer inspired.
Why the Reddit hate? It's not like folks on this forum who joined after [checks reg date] July 2004 are any smarter. Reddit is just a bigger sample size of Internet people.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

right but the actual reason is to create price floors so a magbox, which is an early game container to deal with limited stash space, doesnt get inflated in price and make it harder for new players to get when its one of the first cases youll be going for.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ambaire posted:

It was a rhetorical question, implying that reason was because if x item is listed for less than what it can be sold to a vendor for, savvy people will buy it out and vendor it for the profit. I even talked about it with regard to the magazine case. Apologies if you couldn't figure that out.

You didn't actually create any money doing that. You just took the money the person listing it passed up on. The money being added there was the item being generated in a raid and extracted with. There will always be infinite money because there isn't a limited supply of raids to find loot in.

What you're proposing is that people who find a cat statue in raid and extract with it should not be able to sell it because the traders are out of money, even if they don't have flea market access.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

Apex is cool and good and consistently in the top 10 on Twitch and I have never had a problem finding a match. Your definition of dead game is as bad as your taste. Anyway, what I was saying is someone could make an excellent not-direct-clone of Tarkov like your NMS to Minecraft example.

Why the Reddit hate? It's not like folks on this forum who joined after [checks reg date] July 2004 are any smarter. Reddit is just a bigger sample size of Internet people.

you wouldnt play nms instead of minecraft because one is minecraft and the other is a space sim that has some resource gathering but also has trader missions and dog fighting and a story.

with apex its extremely telling EA went from yelling about how it gained players faster than fortnite to not talking about playercounts anymore and given that the game is owned by EA they wouldve been wanting extreme profitability out of the title. remember that people like ea and activision have a completely nonsensical concept of how well a game should do and will drop games that are popular. activision let bungie take destiny with them because it wasnt profitable enough and apex was def a title that ea wanted to be competing with fortnite and pubg. but its ok im sure, they love doing continued support for games and also dont chronically shut down studios.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

DrBox posted:

Yeah and all of their games that have seriously leaned on this formula are boring as gently caress. Overwatch is a competent game, but the thought of playing it seriously make me want to fall asleep. I can’t say nearly as good things about Hero’s of the Storm.

Most of the battle royals games that rode the PUBG zeitgeist were by all means better games (Apex, CoD BR’s, etc) were all fun for a bit, but again boring as hell.

Someone could make a more polished and more focused shooter with the tarkov semi RPG/raid elements, but it would feel derivative. Like half of this games charm is the incredibly awkward and kludge approach to mechanics that just happens to hit a little bit more than it misses.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Yes, I understand that, but you're wrong if you think Nikita gives a gently caress. He's not going to stop making his game because Reddit and Twitch don't understand what early access means.

Yeah in the sense that “early access” is so far removed from resembling any honest QA or testing effort, and literally just an excuse to start making money off your half finished product. This isn’t really problematic, and game clearly offers enough content to justify it, but let’s call a spade a spade.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Mar 8, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
nikita is a genius developer, the best of his generation

the hacks that make ripoffs will just make more garbage games and you shouldnt get tricked into playing them

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Stux posted:

you wouldnt play nms instead of minecraft because one is minecraft and the other is a space sim that has some resource gathering but also has trader missions and dog fighting and a story.

with apex its extremely telling EA went from yelling about how it gained players faster than fortnite to not talking about playercounts anymore and given that the game is owned by EA they wouldve been wanting extreme profitability out of the title. remember that people like ea and activision have a completely nonsensical concept of how well a game should do and will drop games that are popular. activision let bungie take destiny with them because it wasnt profitable enough and apex was def a title that ea wanted to be competing with fortnite and pubg. but its ok im sure, they love doing continued support for games and also dont chronically shut down studios.
I can't speak to EA's expectations but Apex just had a big patch come out and there are things added at a consistent pace so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. If EA was done with the game I'm sure step one would be stop making new content for it. Someone should tell Respawn they about to be shut down!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

DrBox posted:

I can't speak to EA's expectations but Apex just had a big patch come out and there are things added at a consistent pace so I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. If EA was done with the game I'm sure step one would be stop making new content for it. Someone should tell Respawn they about to be shut down!

you poor innocent child... stay pure...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

causticBeet posted:

Yeah in the sense that “early access” is so far removed from resembling any honest QA or testing effort, and literally just an excuse to start making money off your half finished product. This isn’t really problematic, and game clearly offers enough content to justify it, but let’s call a spade a spade.

Absolutely. But the main driving force behind buying these types of games, I think, is that if you had to sit on the sidelines and watch the trailers for this game and see them showing off all the features, it would drive you crazy not to be able to play it. Tarkov owns! It's an awesome game already and it's not even close to done! It would be pure suffering to see these concepts implemented and maps demoed and not get to put your hands on them until 2025. Plus BSG would go out of business first probably.

Plus I think BSG has gotten a lot of genuinely valuable feedback from the community playing it. They've learned a lot of lessons from past failures, map design has gotten way better, etc. Maybe they would have made these changes regardless, maybe not. It may not be QA, but it does provide some early player perspective that they'd otherwise have gotten far too late, I think.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Stux posted:

you poor innocent child... stay pure...

EA and Steam just partnered up and more EA Games are coming to Steam again. Between that and this whole shift to "games as a service" or "live games" or whatever buzzword you want mean that these companies are seeing a new opportunity out there and are slower to outright dump a game. Look at how much post launch support Star Wars Battlefront 2 got. After a poo poo start and predatory mtx, people are saying it's in a pretty good place now. You can still hate on these companies while recognizing the change. Moral of the story is Apex is doing fine and is still fun. You should try it again! I'm still waiting for Titanfall 3 though.

On Tarkov: What's the quickest way to level STR? I'm in my 20s and was still at level 1 until I started carrying around a docs case full of technical manuals. I want to level it up before the new patch hits.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

DrBox posted:

On Tarkov: What's the quickest way to level STR? I'm in my 20s and was still at level 1 until I started carrying around a docs case full of technical manuals. I want to level it up before the new patch hits.

There really isn't any, you seem to already know the best way. The easiest is to go out with a friend and knife each others' legs, 1 point of XP per stab, modified by the bonus/penalty. But that's not really quick, it takes hours of Shoreline raids to go up a few levels. Alternatively you could bring a few empty green fuel cans in your backpack to every raid and walk everywhere. But the quickest way is already patched out, which was to glitch the game by getting stuck in the geometry on that one spot in Shoreline.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Idiot Doom Spiral posted:

Where exactly are you mounting your backups? I had a FLIR on the main rail of a TX-15 and a wee little holo as a canted sight, but then I just had a big black dong in my face while using the backup.

you can put the B3 Combo on the silencer(barrel), the backupmount on the B3, and the Belomo on the backupmount

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
That ridiculous moving item bug cost me 400k from flea market sales. Awesome. But we better spend time on arm stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Cup Runneth Over posted:

There really isn't any, you seem to already know the best way. The easiest is to go out with a friend and knife each others' legs, 1 point of XP per stab, modified by the bonus/penalty. But that's not really quick, it takes hours of Shoreline raids to go up a few levels. Alternatively you could bring a few empty green fuel cans in your backpack to every raid and walk everywhere. But the quickest way is already patched out, which was to glitch the game by getting stuck in the geometry on that one spot in Shoreline.
Ok, thanks. I'm not totally clear on why the docs case is helping. Is it just getting over a certain weight limit or is more better/faster? Trying to figure out of I should grab a second docs case to max out my gains. You would think steroids would be readily available and encouraged in this Russian video game.