Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Shroomie posted:

Is Tramontina still like a top tier nonstick skillet? I don't like the T-Fal I bought last year. Zwilling was my other thought since I watch too many Bon Appetit videos and that's what they use.

T-Fal has 2 tiers of teflon skillets, the better one has riveted handles and flattish bottoms. I don't have a Tramontina but the posts about them have been positive. Oxo nonstick are supposed to be really good too. I was going to buy one for my wife but she didn't want a new Teflon skillet and I rarely use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

This is exactly why I haven’t bought one. I NEED a super fine grind, and the Peugeot Paris does an amazing job at that.

I do wish there was an electric grinder that would do the job faster though. :(

:siren: :swoon: :allears: GUYS PEUGEOT MAKES AN ELECTRIC VERSION OF THE PARIS PEPPER MILL AND OH MY GOD YOU GUYS!!!!! :allears: :swoon: :siren:

* Drawbacks: It’s about $110 bucks and I pretty much don’t even care STILL WANT

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Both the old unicorn I've had for about 8 years and the new one will go pretty fine.
I keep them about medium fine but it can go fine if it needs to.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Can someone remind me which microwaves it were that have the technology that improves heating evenly on 50%? I'm looking for a replacement microwave that hopefully isnt too expensive and that sounds like a good feature.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

:siren: :swoon: :allears: GUYS PEUGEOT MAKES AN ELECTRIC VERSION OF THE PARIS PEPPER MILL AND OH MY GOD YOU GUYS!!!!! :allears: :swoon: :siren:

* Drawbacks: It’s about $110 bucks and I pretty much don’t even care STILL WANT

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Booyah- posted:

Can someone remind me which microwaves it were that have the technology that improves heating evenly on 50%? I'm looking for a replacement microwave that hopefully isnt too expensive and that sounds like a good feature.

Panasonic Inverter Technology microwaves, afaik it’s the only line that doesn’t do power cycling

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Pepper mill chat: I don't think I could ever go back to a pepper mill without a lever on it. I spent entirely too much time looking for this one for which I paid $34 and I love it. However, being that I'm not a pro I feel like I could be missing something.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Panasonic Inverter Technology microwaves, afaik it’s the only line that doesn’t do power cycling

Thanks!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Beach Bum posted:

Pepper mill chat: I don't think I could ever go back to a pepper mill without a lever on it. I spent entirely too much time looking for this one for which I paid $34 and I love it. However, being that I'm not a pro I feel like I could be missing something.
If I'm ever grinding enough pepper that I'd feel like I'd need a brody knob to help I just use a M&P instead.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

SubG posted:

If I'm ever grinding enough pepper that I'd feel like I'd need a brody knob to help I just use a M&P instead.

M&P? All I'm getting is ads for the pistol. Apologies for my ignorant questions :shobon:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Beach Bum posted:

M&P? All I'm getting is ads for the pistol. Apologies for my ignorant questions :shobon:
Mortar and pestle.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Mortar and pestle.

:downs: derp, thank you.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I can't M&P peppercorn without them getting everywhere. I guess I gotta press hard and turn and not grab it at the end and whip it around?

:pervert:

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I can't M&P peppercorn without them getting everywhere. I guess I gotta press hard and turn and not grab it at the end and whip it around?

:pervert:
Start out with just a couple, like just a tbsp or so, and kinda smoosh them so they're not bouncy spheres. Once you've done that you can grind/pound them into powder and they won't try to get away as much. And then once you have a layer of ground pepper in the bottom of the mortar you can add larger amounts of peppercorns and the ground stuff will help prevent the whole peppercorns from bouncing around that much. There's a definite technique to it, but once you get the hang of it it's simple enough you'll be able to do it without even think about it.

I kinda feel like using an M&P is one of those things that actually requires more technique than you'd think it would. Like it seems like it's this totally primitive thing that's just pounding poo poo with stone tools, but pretty much everything you do with one involves a lot of little tricks or whatever that you really need to figure out from doing. Like getting a better paste out of starting out with some coarse salt and grinding garlic cloves into that instead of smashing the garlic cloves and then adding salt. That kind of thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SubG posted:

Start out with just a couple, like just a tbsp or so, and kinda smoosh them so they're not bouncy spheres. Once you've done that you can grind/pound them into powder and they won't try to get away as much. And then once you have a layer of ground pepper in the bottom of the mortar you can add larger amounts of peppercorns and the ground stuff will help prevent the whole peppercorns from bouncing around that much. There's a definite technique to it, but once you get the hang of it it's simple enough you'll be able to do it without even think about it.

I kinda feel like using an M&P is one of those things that actually requires more technique than you'd think it would. Like it seems like it's this totally primitive thing that's just pounding poo poo with stone tools, but pretty much everything you do with one involves a lot of little tricks or whatever that you really need to figure out from doing. Like getting a better paste out of starting out with some coarse salt and grinding garlic cloves into that instead of smashing the garlic cloves and then adding salt. That kind of thing.

I have to say now that I have the Peugot Paris I'll never again use anything else for breaking down peppercorn but that all makes sense.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VelociBacon posted:

I have to say now that I have the Peugot Paris I'll never again use anything else for breaking down peppercorn but that all makes sense.

You might when you do the math on a brisket rub and think about how many twists you need for 3/4 cup of ground pepper.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

You might when you do the math on a brisket rub and think about how many twists you need for 3/4 cup of ground pepper.
That's the exact use case I had in mind.

And not counting having to come up with more than a couple tbsp of ground pepper at a time, a M&P is good if you need to roast the peppercorns first.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I didn't see anything about air fryers in the op, and I'm curious for air fryer recommendations.

I don't actually know what an air fryer really is either, I just really like buffalo wings and so I was told that maybe I should get one.

Like I would happily eat buffalo wings a couple of times a week if it was cheap and convenient.

I'd also like the air fryer to be able to cook random things to experiment with once in a while, I don't really want an air fryer that is designed to cook only buffalo wings.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s a mini oven with a convection fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDSuVREsok

If you have an oven, even one without convention, I dunno if you really need an air fryer

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

Brisket is the single application I can think of that I want pre-ground pepper. It’s not the effort of grinding that I want to avoid. I find that the piperine is overpowering when using as much as I need for a good coating.

Store bought coarse grind is the exact flavor I want on a brisket.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Yeah I made Kenji's lemongrass marinated grilled tofu one time and the 2 teaspoons of white pepper that I ground fresh was just insanely overpowering.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

Yeah I made Kenji's lemongrass marinated grilled tofu one time and the 2 teaspoons of white pepper that I ground fresh was just insanely overpowering.

I frequently have to remind myself that I have much higher quality spices and seasonings in general than most people so I’m really careful when a recipe calls for a lot of something strong. 2 tsp of fresh white ground pepper sounds like a kick in the teeth lol

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

It’s a mini oven with a convection fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDSuVREsok

If you have an oven, even one without convention, I dunno if you really need an air fryer

Speed (and to a certain degree, results) is better out of an air fryer than a conventional oven. I don't use mine much but for stuff like quick heating up frozen foods (like pre-made french fries), roasting vegetables, or even this last week I used mine to finish off some chicken cutlets I had friend but the centers hadn't come up to temp. Oh, I also used it as a dehydrator once. And all of this with a device that comes up to operating temperature faster, cooks faster, and doesn't put off the same amount of waste heat into the apartment (which is nice because gently caress roasting vegetables in the oven during the summer).

It's definitely a "jack of all trades, master of none" sort of device but it's cheaper than a proper counter top convection oven and convective heat really can do some jobs better.

As for models, I don't know if I can really recommend mine, it's fine but in the end I chose it because it was the one that was in stock at the local big box mart when I was in the mood to impulse buy a kitchen device I didn't really need.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Subjunctive posted:

See my post above.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Speaking of pepper, has black pepper gotten more expensive recently or something? My local supermarket is selling a pound of peppercorns for $18 and I don't recall it ever being that expensive.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Verisimilidude posted:

Speaking of pepper, has black pepper gotten more expensive recently or something? My local supermarket is selling a pound of peppercorns for $18 and I don't recall it ever being that expensive.

I buy them from Amazon, the Spicy World brand I prefer are $10.50/lb. The brand I bought most recently, Frontier, are $12.35/lb. Local markets are stupid expensive.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I. M. Gei posted:

See my post above.

You can’t make me.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Maybe a dumb question but when a company like Lodge advertises a 12" frying pan, is that 12" the diameter of cooking surface or diameter of the top of the pan?

I wan't a pan with a cooking surface as wide as my widest burner (12"), but I don't know if that means a 12" or a 14" pan.

edit \/
Thanks!

just another fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 12, 2020

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

just another posted:

Maybe a dumb question but when a company like Lodge advertises a 12" frying pan, is that 12" the diameter of cooking surface or diameter of the top of the pan?

I wan't a pan with a cooking surface as wide as my widest burner (12"), but I don't know if that means a 12" or a 14" pan.

Top of the pan.

Edit: That said you can sometimes find the size of the cooking area on the company’s website. Lodge for sure has that info on their website.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 12, 2020

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
And definitely look at the cooking area because that's the important measurement. I have several 12" pans and they are all different sizes.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I bought the $100 pepper grinder.

I regret nothing!

Laugh at me if you want, but I don’t think you people fully comprehend how bad I love my Peugeot Paris.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

My roommate moved out and took his Vitamix with him, so now I'm blender-less. Anyone have a recommendation for a solid, if somewhat cheaper (let's say $50 max) blender that can hold me over until I'm ready to purchase a Vitamix/blendtec of my own?

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Mar 23, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

get an immersion, really anykind, at that price point

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

get an immersion, really anykind, at that price point

For making smoothies? Didn't think about trying that out. I'll give it a shot since I already have one!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Id rather just eat whole fruit than try to make smoothies with an immersion blender.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
there's a reason immersion blender reviews are full of complaints about breaking them trying to make smoothies and crush ice

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you want smoothies but can't spring for a Vitamix yet, your best bet is to raise your budget a bit and get a ninja. Otherwise, just get a $30 oster and enjoy your lumpy smoothies.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Verisimilidude posted:

For making smoothies? Didn't think about trying that out. I'll give it a shot since I already have one!

Let us know how it goes! I assume the answer will be "Poorly".

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It might work if he uses only fresh fruit and nothing frozen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I make smoothies all the time with an immersion blender but I don't use ice, rather I use frozen fruit which I allow to partially thaw in the refrigerator.