Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Hello Spaceman posted:

I saw discussion about BBF a while ago and thought I'd try it.

Nope.

Can't wrap my head around the explanations people give for it.
To my mind, having the camera focus with the shutter button makes sense. I don't focus and recompose, I choose the right focus point. And if the metering is over/under, I use the exposure comp dial.

Somebody please ELI5 why BBF is supposedly the next coming of Christ (and maybe also add context such as what kind of shooting you do, to illustrate the advantages).

Here's how I used it: If I knew some crazy fast bird kept coming to a certain place, I'd BBF on that spot, and then leave focus set. That way, when the little bugger came back, I'd just be able to mash the shutter button without worrying about my focus getting messed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the 150-400mm oly has been spotted and it is huge and dumb and probably expensive as hell and I'm totally going to get ittttt

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

That is not a lens that is a weapon you duel other photographers with

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Dr. VooDoo posted:

That is not a lens that is a weapon you duel other photographers with

Olympus is paving new ground with their Zweihander lens!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Olympus is paving new ground with their Zweihander lens!

Zeisshander, surely :v:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

President Beep posted:

Here's how I used it: If I knew some crazy fast bird kept coming to a certain place, I'd BBF on that spot, and then leave focus set. That way, when the little bugger came back, I'd just be able to mash the shutter button without worrying about my focus getting messed up.

Oh. I guess that's useful, but I've always just switched to MF if I needed to 'lock' focus, instead of depressing the shutter halfway for eternity.

I guess I can understand BBF as "on-demand AF that's not intrinsically linked to the shutter". But I can't think of (in my camera usage) a situation where I'd want that.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Is there a way on the a7iii / a7riii to have it on back button af-c, and have it switch to mf only when you rotate the lens’ focus ring, coupled with turning on focus peaking momentarily?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Hello Spaceman posted:

I guess I can understand BBF as "on-demand AF that's not intrinsically linked to the shutter". But I can't think of (in my camera usage) a situation where I'd want that.

I found it to be a very niche (but also very useful) setting. After selling my 7D and Sigma 150-600 to switch to Sony mirrorless for general/family photography I quickly realized that BBF didn’t really provide me with any utility. Back to shutter button focus now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This thing looks huge and dumb in the best way possible

Morbus
May 18, 2004

teraflame posted:

How many people use back button focus? Is it worth doing?

It's pretty common to have a situation where you don't want to meter at your focus point. There are several ways to deal with this, such as:

1. Use manual focus

2. Use manual exposure

3. Use the shutter to set focus, let it meter at the focus point, and use exposure compensation to get the desired metering

4. Compose and meter as needed, and use the d-pad / touchscreen / whatever to set the desired focus point.

5. Use AE-L to set the appropriate metering, use the shutter (half press) to focus at the desired point and recompose as needed

6. Use AF-L/BBF to focus at the desired point, use the shutter (half press) to meter as desired and recompose as needed.

Any of these will work, and they have their pros and cons, but there is a good argument that #5 and #6 are the fastest methods to get the focus, metering, and composition you want with the least amount of fuss.

Morbus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 6, 2020

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Morbus posted:

It's pretty common to have a situation where you don't want to meter at your focus point. There are several ways to deal with this, such as:

1. Use manual focus

2. Use manual exposure

3. Use the shutter to set focus, let it meter at the focus point, and use exposure compensation to get the desired metering

4. Compose and meter as needed, and use the d-pad / touchscreen / whatever to set the desired focus point.

5. Use AE-L to set the appropriate metering, use the shutter (half press) to focus at the desired point and recompose as needed

6. Use AF-L/BBF to focus at the desired point, use the shutter (half press) to meter as desired and recompose as needed.

Any of these will work, and they have their pros and cons, but there is a good argument that #5 and #6 are the fastest methods to get the focus, metering, and composition you want with the least amount of fuss.

My experience was that the initial transition was a pain, but once I became used to BBF I'd never go back. Three functions on the shutter button is just ineffecient for most shooting I've found. But, I've also seen lots of folks try it for half a day and declare it useless, which I generally understand the sentiment, but think they'd at the very least get over the annoyance even if it's not their best solution.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have some photography dollars burning a hole in my pocket. What's the wisdom of the thread, adding a Fuji 23mm 1.4, or upgrade from an XT-10 to an XT-2 or XT-3?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

frogbs posted:

I have some photography dollars burning a hole in my pocket. What's the wisdom of the thread, adding a Fuji 23mm 1.4, or upgrade from an XT-10 to an XT-2 or XT-3?

Depends on what lenses you already have.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I, too, have been trying to figure out what lenses I want, or need, for my X-T20. I currently have the 16-50mm and the 23mm F2.

My X100V is my main photography device. I mostly got this X-T20 to make videos about the X100V, and to shoot handheld b-roll with image stabilized lenses.

I am starting a YouTube channel about the X100V.

Naturally I planned to upgrade my kit lens immediately to the 18-55, the most circlejerked kit lens in photography history. What made me question that was taking this 16-50 for a test run and realizing that it's already pretty fast to focus, silent, and sharp during video.

Now I'm not sure if the upgrade will be worth it for me, despite the 18-55 costing only $200 used here.

What should I buy, goons? The 10-24? The Rokinon 12? The 15-45? The 14 f2.8?

I feel like the 15-45 is kind of awesome since it's essentially a $100 14mm F3.5 OIS prime lens. Apparently the focal length is identical to the 14mm, and the optics are optimized for the wide end.

On the other hand the 10-24 might be a whole lot more fun. I could also see myself actually using it for photography since it would offer something my X100V couldn't. On the other other hand, it costs about $500.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Someone talk me out of the x100V cus gently caress, I can afford it but boy do I not really need it. Actually I kind of do because my "main" camera is a fuckin om-d em10 ii so it'd be a huge step up in image quality. And I live in the PNW so the weather sealing would be good. gently caress, I'm talking myself into it now

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

XBenedict posted:

Depends on what lenses you already have.

I’ve got a 35mm 1.4 and an XC 55-230.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

frogbs posted:

I would wait a bit for X-T4s to deliver and the X-T3 used market to grow a bit if you’re looking at bodies. Otherwise, standard questions:

• Does the camera body hold you back at all — through IQ or autofocus or other features
  • Have you found yourself in situations where you’d like to have a wider lens, or faster glass, etc.?
  • What’s your use case?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Thoren posted:

I feel like the 15-45 is kind of awesome since it's essentially a $100 14mm F3.5 OIS prime lens. Apparently the focal length is identical to the 14mm, and the optics are optimized for the wide end.

Can confirm. It’s pretty great for what it is.

Thoren
May 28, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Someone talk me out of the x100V cus gently caress, I can afford it but boy do I not really need it. Actually I kind of do because my "main" camera is a fuckin om-d em10 ii so it'd be a huge step up in image quality. And I live in the PNW so the weather sealing would be good. gently caress, I'm talking myself into it now

Tons of quality control issues and poor thermals right now. Wait until later this year.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Someone talk me out of the x100V
No. Buy it. It will bring you happiness. Happiness can it bought. Your life will not be complete until you own the X100V. Only if you hate yourself will you not buy one.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

I haven't shot any M43 systems at all but I will say that the E-M1 MIII looks absolutely compelling for a landscape-oriented camera. Maybe you consider that route vs a fixed lens Fuji?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

frogbs posted:

I would get the X-T2 then. the 23 is a good lens, but it isn't as different from the 35 as something else like the 56 1.2 or even the Viltrox 85mm would be.

Or just get the Viltrox 85. It's a drat fine lens and cheaper than both of those other things.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm so into the X100V that I'm searching a custom neck strap so short that it'll turn my camera into a huge necklace, ready to shoot at any time.

The ultimate bling.

I wish I was joking.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bloops posted:

I haven't shot any M43 systems at all but I will say that the E-M1 MIII looks absolutely compelling for a landscape-oriented camera. Maybe you consider that route vs a fixed lens Fuji?

This actually does look very attractive, but honestly I don't really take my em10ii out all that often anymore. My usual shooting is street and landscapes, usually at home but often on vacations too. I really only use the em10 while on vacation, at home it's usually more convenient to take my ricoh gr since it's so small. Unless I'm hiking for landscapes, but then I usually bring my medium format film stuff instead.

The em1iii would be able to really cover all of that, but I suspect due to being about the size of my em10ii (probably a bit bigger) I probably wouldn't take it out a ton after the initial honeymoon period, where I think the smaller size of the x100v would probably see more use since it's got such a smaller footprint, and would be more convenient for travel (unless I explicitly would want my different M43 lenses, in which case I could bring my em10ii instead - although that isnt really ideal, admittedly). Although, those high res shots would be good for hikes, and while I go for smaller cameras more often, from a number-of-shots standpoint I probably do most of my shooting while hiking or on vacation, where I bring along my em10ii anyways. I guess it's a matter of a better upgrade for all-around shooting (x100v) or a better camera for the vacation + hiking (em1iii)

e: also, superficially, the x100v looks way better than the em1iii. I guess it could also fulfill me weird obsession with turning off the LCD, and using the OFV in order to treat it as a pseudo film camera, just with a digital sensor. Although I suspect that'd just be a short-lived gimmick.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 6, 2020

Morbus
May 18, 2004

torgeaux posted:

My experience was that the initial transition was a pain, but once I became used to BBF I'd never go back. Three functions on the shutter button is just ineffecient for most shooting I've found. But, I've also seen lots of folks try it for half a day and declare it useless, which I generally understand the sentiment, but think they'd at the very least get over the annoyance even if it's not their best solution.

To be fair some of it boils down to ergonomics. Pretty much every camera has a nice beefy exposure compensation dial and/or good shutter & aperture controls, but BBF buttons are often lovely recessed tiny buttons that are seemingly wrongly for everyone's thumb. This can especially be an issue when wearing gloves. Though, usually, there will be at least some function button somewhere on the drat thing that you can configure as an AF-L button and have it work well for you.

There's also a pretty good argument that for many situations where your focus point really matters, any kind of focus + recompose method is less than optimal since rotation/tilting of the camera when recomposing will slightly change the distance to your subject and gently caress up the focus. This is often a noticeable problem for close subjects and wide apertures, to the point that you are truly better off composing and selecting a non-center focus point, or using manual focus. And if you're shooting distant subjects at f/8 or whatever, the whole argument mostly boils down to "who gives a poo poo" and there's not necessarily a disadvantage to using shutter focus.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Morbus posted:

To be fair some of it boils down to ergonomics. Pretty much every camera has a nice beefy exposure compensation dial and/or good shutter & aperture controls, but BBF buttons are often lovely recessed tiny buttons that are seemingly wrongly for everyone's thumb. This can especially be an issue when wearing gloves. Though, usually, there will be at least some function button somewhere on the drat thing that you can configure as an AF-L button and have it work well for you.

There's also a pretty good argument that for many situations where your focus point really matters, any kind of focus + recompose method is less than optimal since rotation/tilting of the camera when recomposing will slightly change the distance to your subject and gently caress up the focus. This is often a noticeable problem for close subjects and wide apertures, to the point that you are truly better off composing and selecting a non-center focus point, or using manual focus. And if you're shooting distant subjects at f/8 or whatever, the whole argument mostly boils down to "who gives a poo poo" and there's not necessarily a disadvantage to using shutter focus.

Yeah, for macro, I don't recompose, I select focus point. Same for f/2 portrait work. The Back, in back button focus, is a misnomer for me, because as you say, those buttons can be awkward. I map to a front button on my XH1. But, I'll still say, those three functions on one button just don't work for me once I found a better solution. The problem with exposure comp as an answer is that it's not a one off, it sets it for the next shot, too. But, I know guys who whip the comp button with the kind of competence and speed that I just can't manage off tripod.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bloops posted:

Renting out an EM-1 Mk III + 12-100 F4 lens to try out during a trip to Moab later this month.

Really excited to try out the 80 MP high resolution mode and Live Composite/Starry AF features.

Excited to hear back about this BTW because the more I look at this camera the more tempted I am to drop a fuckton of money on it. It's worrying that the x100v is becoming the cheaper alternative to me now.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I‘m an existing E-M1 user and shooting sharp 1 second pictures hand-held with the 12-100 will never cease to blow my mind. I don’t find the new one compelling; I just can’t justify that amount of money for a half-decade old sensor which is why I’ve been contemplating a system switch (depending on how good the Canon R5 or the Nikon Z8 will be).

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm currently lusting after the E-M5 III myself, which looks to be the innards of an EM-1 II stuffed in an E-M5 body.

Shame they went to a plastic body but incredibly capable camera otherwise. And I'm still on a mark 1 E-M5 so it's about time to upgrade...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yesssss lmao this is extremely my poo poo

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Excited to hear back about this BTW because the more I look at this camera the more tempted I am to drop a fuckton of money on it. It's worrying that the x100v is becoming the cheaper alternative to me now.

Will do. While I wouldn't switch to an M43 solution for constant use, I am super intrigued by how well an 80mp tripod high res mode will be because I want to hang enormo size prints at home. Seems like Olympus has a very cost effective way of doing that without going into dentist money on a medium format system.

bloops fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 7, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You could also stitch together a panorama. Obviously not as automated and there are some pros/cons between the two, but it's pretty easy and doesn't require a new camera.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

powderific posted:

You could also stitch together a panorama. Obviously not as automated and there are some pros/cons between the two, but it's pretty easy and doesn't require a new camera.

Yes I've done that before as well. For the most part, it's pretty straight forward but time consuming. A 60mp pano took my 2018 Macbook Pro 13" about ten minutes to stitch together. I'd like to see how Olympus handles that and what the trade offs are. If it's a killer solution then I have zero issue renting out an E-M1 MKIII body + lens a few times a year.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Seems 50mm @ f/2 is the best combo to nail focus with a Sony A7 II's 1024x768 low rez tiny viewfinder. Anything longer and dof becomes so thin I have to pixel peep. Anything wider focal length like 24mm or even 35mm and I can't tell where the dof is anymore due to mushy low res piece of crap viewfinder.

I am going to buy the Panasonic S1, since it seems to be the ultimate manual focus lens camera if you can't afford Leica SL or SL2. Just need to sell my Sony or Fuji systems first.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Fotodiox has released a version of it's Pronto adapter for the Fuji X system (will not work on the X-A5). If you are unfamiliar with it, it will allow you to autofocus vintage glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J1xL0u1P9s

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Wengy posted:

I‘m an existing E-M1 user and shooting sharp 1 second pictures hand-held with the 12-100 will never cease to blow my mind. I don’t find the new one compelling; I just can’t justify that amount of money for a half-decade old sensor which is why I’ve been contemplating a system switch (depending on how good the Canon R5 or the Nikon Z8 will be).

Sincere question here, but why does the age of the sensor matter, really? I understand that 20mpx isn't the best in the universe, but Olympus seems to be putting its efforts towards being able to ignore the sensor almost entirely. High-res shot mode can get pictures up to 50mpx handheld, and that also eliminates quite a lot of noise as high up as 6400 ISO - doesn't that beat out the common complaints about the size + age of the sensor? Of course that doesn't help out with action shots, but if you mostly focus on architecture or landscape then I don't really see how you can go wrong with that. Like, being able to get near-MF-quality digital shots without needing to spend $5k+, along with being able to take 1s long exposures handheld (I've read some people claim as long as 4-8+ seconds depending on how wide-angle your lens is?) sounds like wizardry to me.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Resolution isn’t the only thing that makes an image though, and while the workarounds Olympus has come up with are really cool they’re not as flexible as just having a better sensor. Dynamic range is one area, outside the world of cinema cameras anyway, where the newer/bigger/better sensors do better and I think it’s pretty noticeable in images even if people don’t seem to focus on as it much in photography. And that’s also a domain where medium format and full frame cameras have usually had an advantage over smaller sensors even when the Olympus sensor came out.

You can still print very large photos off a ~24mp sensor and unless you very specifically need/want that 80mp high res shot, other newer sensors are going to perform better in every other situation for not that different money.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there any pattern to Fuji sales? In other words, are we expecting a lens sale sometime in the next couple months? :shepspends:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Splinter posted:

Is there any pattern to Fuji sales? In other words, are we expecting a lens sale sometime in the next couple months? :shepspends:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Sincere question here, but why does the age of the sensor matter, really? I understand that 20mpx isn't the best in the universe, but Olympus seems to be putting its efforts towards being able to ignore the sensor almost entirely. High-res shot mode can get pictures up to 50mpx handheld, and that also eliminates quite a lot of noise as high up as 6400 ISO - doesn't that beat out the common complaints about the size + age of the sensor? Of course that doesn't help out with action shots, but if you mostly focus on architecture or landscape then I don't really see how you can go wrong with that. Like, being able to get near-MF-quality digital shots without needing to spend $5k+, along with being able to take 1s long exposures handheld (I've read some people claim as long as 4-8+ seconds depending on how wide-angle your lens is?) sounds like wizardry to me.
Don't take him too seriously IMO, he's just suffering from GAS.