Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

Dukat was such a good villain. You love to hate the smug son of a bitch.

Agreed. I dare say he is my favorite Trek villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Arglebargle III posted:

Lizards and salamanders are less related than humans and cats.

Or humans and lizards, for that matter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Or humans and blemflarks.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
List of early-season Voyager episdoes that are (from memory at least) worth watching:

Phage (the Vidiians are decent enough villains with a strong motivation for their awful acts)
Learning Curve (Tuvok gets to act like a total dick)
Threshold (not because it's good, but for sheer :wtc: value Paris and Janeway turn into giant newts and gently caress)
Deadlock (Harry dies! But don't worry, they have a spare Also features the birth of someone who'll become a semi-regular character years later)
The Thaw (creepy and a bit hosed-up in a good way)
Tuvix (Janeway is a murderer!)
Flashback (Sulu! Although it's not a patch on DS9's anniversary episode)
Future's End I & II (90s fashion at its 90sest! Also, the Doctor finally gets to leave sickbay from now on)
Distant Origin (wanna know what [i] really happened to the dinosaurs?)
Worst Case Scenario (Tuvok is a dick again, and this time everyone gets to join in the fun)

After that it's Scorpion, and the show picks up considerably. Basically any Seven, Doctor or Seven/Doctor story is worth watching.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Every time I watch Future’s End I think about that cast photoshoot where they’re posing with camcorders and webcams and Tom’s actor is carrying a printer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

orcane posted:

The 37s was pretty awful but you should watch it just for the amazing ending :haw:

Don't forget THE CITIES!!!!

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

pospysyl posted:

They only have a chef because they need to keep Neelix busy so he won't get any other Voyager crew killed (not that this plan works.) But yes, Voyager does basically nothing with its premise.

I was referring to the NX Enterprise in that instance.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

marktheando posted:

I mostly stuck to a list of the good voyager episodes, and it still took me like three years to get through it. So bland and uninspiring.

Should probably watch literally any other Star Trek show instead. Everyone ITT likes to poo poo on Enterprise and Discovery, but they are both so much more interesting and entertaining than Voyager.

Discovery is alright, it's just let down by every other episode opening with a boring, droning monologue by Michael that's supposed to be motivational or inspirational or whatever the gently caress the self-back-patting writers were trying to go for on that day. Too much focus on one character who isn't even likable or sympathetic.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Discovery is alright, it's just let down by every other episode opening with a boring, droning monologue by Michael that's supposed to be motivational or inspirational or whatever the gently caress the self-back-patting writers were trying to go for on that day. Too much focus on one character who isn't even likable or sympathetic.
Those episodes would be 25% better if they cut out the drat monologues

They give me Grey's Anatomy vibes which is really not good (although Michael's character constantly ends up in melodrama so that actually fits).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Whelp. I've just experienced my very first Mandela Effect.

I was watching Movie Nights over on Youtube, and she was ripping Encounter At Farpoint. Pretty funny video. Anyway, she did an extended riff on "Groppler Zorn" and somebody in the comments mentioned he was the voice actor for Duke on GI Joe.

And I was like "Well maybe, but he's far more known as the guy who played Larry (of Darryl and Darryl fame) on Newhart and EB Farnum on Deadwood."

And I checked IMDB.

And no, apparently William Sanderson did not in fact play Groppler Zorn, and the guy who did is one of the most prolific cartoon VA artists in the US after like Frank Welker and Peter Cullen.

For the past 30 plus years I was convinced that was William Sanderson. :psyduck:

Am I the only one? :psypop:

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Astroman posted:

Am I the only one? :psypop:

Maybe not, but I can no longer see Sanderson as anyone but Farnum, and I don’t remember making that connection in my recent rewatch.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just watched Favor the Bold and Sacrifice of Angels. Really empathized with Dukats breakdown, that's how I felt on super Tuesday

Me looking at the returns

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 8, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Don't you see what this means? I am the last Democrat!

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
https://twitter.com/STDeltaShift/status/1236454360122613761

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Had a rough day and then happened upon this magical photo and just thought I'd share it:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

Don't forget THE CITIES!!!!
Haha that's the part I meant :laffo:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

That works shockingly well

I love the DS9 theme but I'm one that's never hated the ENT theme either

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zurui posted:

Had a rough day and then happened upon this magical photo and just thought I'd share it:

dawww :3:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnlxugk3Qb0

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I was about to say something about unfair comparisons, but they’re basically both attempts at more humorous episodes guest starring someone more well known for a comedic role: Howlin’ Mad Murdock and Archer.

So it just comes down to current sensibilities and style.

Anywho, I’ve definitely looked at my phone more and/or dozed off more watching Voyager than any other Trek, but before I completely turn the corner into hate watching, I’d like to say something good about it:

The idea and execution of Janeway being a former science officer and saying/using/understanding more :techno: than any other captain I can remember, is interesting and good so far.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Longbaugh01 posted:

One of the extras with the DS9 doc recounts Brooks accidentally backhanding Alaimo during the last fight scene of the series in the fire caves.

That had never happened in 7 years, and while Brooks claims Alaimo stepped into it, Alaimo claims otherwise. He went to the hospital in full Dukat get-up.

It was probably an accident...

...But I’d like to think it was intentional.

Watching the DS9 doc it becomes abundantly clear that Alaimo is a colossal prick, so I think it almost certainly Brooks not wasting his final opportunity to loving deck him and get away with it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded that the next season of Archer (yes, he's still in comaland) is implied to be a Star Trek spoof.

Reminded that one of the show-within-a-show that the Ninja Turtles watched in the CGI series was obviously a spoof of Star Trek TAS (same Filmation style) that tonally seemed more like Archer. Actually fitting, given Archer is basically a more modern, higher budget (which isn't hard) version of the old Filmation style.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm reminded that the next season of Archer (yes, he's still in comaland) is implied to be a Star Trek spoof.

:confused: He woke up at the end of last season, which was the sci-fi pastiche dream.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Powered Descent posted:

:confused: He woke up at the end of last season, which was the sci-fi pastiche dream.

Oh, kay, I got mixed up. I might go watch that then.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Oh gee I wonder why the tone and humor of two comedy episodes made 30 years apart on two different shows are so different?

I also wonder why the literal first-time captain in this comedy episode reacted differently to an openly hostile weirdo than the seasoned captain? It’s almost as if her inexperience dealing with staffing issues is a central point of that short.
:thunk:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It is the year 2020 and if everyone isn't the pissy idiot in the media I consume then how can I possibly relate

Pissworld: 2020 coming to CBS all access this fall

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Zurui posted:

https://twitter.com/dynamofire/status/1236459513479233537

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
So, James Sloyan plays at least two different rear end in a top hat scientists. Interesting.

And even Neelix has a tragic backstory! I think he’s on the wrong show, this isn’t Picard! :colbert:

Overall Voyager Update: One episode until end of Season 1. Still sucks.

Edit2: Ok...the episode I mentioned above is actually the best one maybe so far. Some real emotional weight from Sloyan and...Neelix of all characters.

Edit: I had never seen https://chiefobrienatwork.com/ and now I’m loving it.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 8, 2020

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oh gee I wonder why the tone and humor of two comedy episodes made 30 years apart on two different shows are so different?

I also wonder why the literal first-time captain in this comedy episode reacted differently to an openly hostile weirdo than the seasoned captain? It’s almost as if her inexperience dealing with staffing issues is a central point of that short.
:thunk:

Barclay wasn't an "openly hostile weirdo", he wasn't malicious like, uh, the guy played by Bob Belcher there.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

can confirm

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

She made him wear the gold swimtrunks first.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
She slipped him the worm.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Longbaugh01 posted:

I was about to say something about unfair comparisons, but they’re basically both attempts at more humorous episodes guest starring someone more well known for a comedic role: Howlin’ Mad Murdock and Archer.

So it just comes down to current sensibilities and style.

Like, "The Trouble With Tribbles" and "In The Cards" are comedy episodes also separated by decades and different comedic sensibilities but you can still tell how both of them work. This is someone's lovely Archer/Disco crossover fic.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Enterprise's them is bizarre and doesn't really fit with anything, and somehow feels dated to a time long before it came out, but I gotta say, I like its theme much more than DS9's one musical refrain over and over again that it seems like the full orchestra couldn't even be bothered to show up for.

I only watched a significant amount of Star Trek fairly recently, I never used to watch it before, but Enterprise bares the distinction of the first Star Trek that I actively chose not to watch, since I saw a scant few bits of it while flipping channels. As opposed to the other Treks which I never saw on TV.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Enterprise's theme sounds like they couldn't afford to get Bryan Adams to do a song so they hired his cheaper mexican cousin

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
DS9’s theme owns.

Why the gently caress does Janeway spend her holodeck time wanting to be a bad Mary Poppins to snooty little snots?

This is some bizarre poo poo.

McSpanky posted:

Like, "The Trouble With Tribbles" and "In The Cards" are comedy episodes also separated by decades and different comedic sensibilities but you can still tell how both of them work. This is someone's lovely Archer/Disco crossover fic.

I haven’t watched any of the Short Treks, so I was just trying to be reasonable based on what was in that video. You can stand down to Yellow Alert now.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
rewatching Voyager and just hit the "Kes hits puberty/menopause" episode. whoever wrote the Ocampa should be arrested

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Autism Sneaks posted:

rewatching Voyager and just hit the "Kes hits puberty/menopause" episode. whoever wrote the Ocampa should be arrested

I haven’t even gotten there yet but I already get this weird elfin child creepy vibe from how Kes is written.

I’m blaming Braga for this one.

Edit: It’s taken 15 episodes for Voyager to finally really try something with the interesting premise of the Marquis having to integrate with the Starfleet crew, yet I feel none of the real bitterness that really worked in the DS9 (and somewhat TNG) Maquis and Eddington episodes. Such a shame.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 9, 2020

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Longbaugh01 posted:

I’m blaming Braga for this one.

iirc Braga is a bit of a pervert but I'm not sure how much of the elfin stuff was his doing... wasn't there some tabloid reporting (or didn't he, like, publicly admit it?) that he has a giantess fetish?

Star Trek: more than you ever needed to know about the people producing your favorite TV shows

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Drone posted:

Star Trek: more than you ever needed to know about the people producing your favorite TV shows

Star Trek: Into Deviancy.

Edit: Neelix made some cheese and it’s killing the ship. This is the season finale. :ughh:

Edit2: An old rusted out Ford pickup truck on the view screen floating in space has to be one of the goofier things I’ve seen in a Trek ep and I’m not even sure why. Also it reminds me now of that spacefaring Tesla.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 9, 2020