Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The best Arthur adaptation is that early 90's cartoon where King Arthur and his knights are football players pulled from our time, and their weapons are magically conjured from pictures on their armor/shields.

https://youtu.be/USUucZVnno0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

No I mean the first part of the most recent Robin Hood movie is literally Robin Hood as a crusader fighting insurgents in the desert

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The best Arthur adaptation is that early 90's cartoon where King Arthur and his knights are football players pulled from our time, and their weapons are magically conjured from pictures on their armor/shields.

https://youtu.be/USUucZVnno0

KNIGHTS KNIGHTS KNIGHTS KNIGHTS KNIGHTS.

90s cartoons were the best.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
'The Crystal Cave' novel by Mary Stewart and its sequels are my favorite retelling of the Arthurian legend.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Excalibur would have been great if it was about a cheeky-geezer learning to be kingly and knightly, instead of the whole film being tonally Lock, Stock. When our hero is going on a mystic vision quest into the dark and dangerous underworld can you dial down the irreverence a little?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Excalibur would have been great if it was about a cheeky-geezer learning to be kingly and knightly, instead of the whole film being tonally Lock, Stock. When our hero is going on a mystic vision quest into the dark and dangerous underworld can you dial down the irreverence a little?

Do you mean "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword"? Because the movie Excalibur predates Lock Stock by 17 years.

Assuming you do, I 100% disagree; That movie was at its most entertaining where it was being fantasy lock stock. The weak parts of the movie were the franchise bait bits (Seriously, they had planned for 6 movies? Which I assume is why we got an acolyte of Merlin instead of well, Merlin) and the parts where it was trying to be more serious.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
I watched "The Circle" yesterday, the (supposed) techno-thriller with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks.

My irrationally irritating movie moment? All of it.

Can't think of a single redeeming quality.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

SiKboy posted:

Do you mean "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword"?
Seriously, they had planned for 6 movies?

No loving way. :eyepop:

Just how much cocaine and "we'll be the new MCU" confidence-farts did those producers huff?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It really is incredible how many producers took a look at the MCU and decided to turn loving everything into a shared universe. And, as far as I can tell, not one of them succeeded. Maybe the Godzilla/King Kong films they've been making.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The key thing with Godzilla is that it's actually got precedent to work from, the old Kaiju movies were already a shared universe. Also, they remembered that you need to actually have a good movie that succeeds to start it off.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ynohtna posted:

No loving way. :eyepop:

Just how much cocaine and "we'll be the new MCU" confidence-farts did those producers huff?

We are living in the golden age of the failed shared cinematic universe my friend and it is loving GLORIOUS. King Arthur was going to be a 6 movie franchise (presumably with spin offs focusing on individual knights), the tarin egerton Robin Hood had similar plans. Universal have had two bites of the cherry of starting off their shared monsterverse with Dracula untold and the Tom Cruise Mummy reboot. Theres a Vin Diesel movie coming out that was at least at one point was going to start a shared valiant comics movie universe (although according to wikipedia thats maybe not happening any more due to rights/distribution issues with the other properties?). The Hellboy reboot with the dude from stranger things, theres others but thats off the top of my head. Basically if it was a high profile flop in the last 10 years there is a good chance that the studio was planning a franchise before they filmed minute one.

No one just makes a good movie anymore then makes sequels when its a success. They instead excise interesting stuff to save for sequels and put in go-nowhere teases for presumed upcoming crossovers, then are surprised when the movie tanks. Admittedly some of these are movies planning for direct sequels rather than a shared universe thing, but the general principle still applies. I swear to god, we are scant years away from a Pride and Predjudice movie with an after credits sequence where Emma walks in and asks Lizzie Bennet if shes heard of The Northanger Abbey Initiative.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My favorite part of this are the literal trailers for upcoming solo movies that they stuck into the middle of Batman vs Superman, and how only two out of five were made.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I don’t know if I prefer people making a movie with the constraints of knowing there’s future movies and all that goes with them assuming it’s even profitable to make more or making a self contained movie that becomes popular and then they’re like oh yeah there’s actually more story ala the matrix

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

GazChap posted:

I watched "The Circle" yesterday, the (supposed) techno-thriller with Emma Watson and Tom Hanks.

My irrationally irritating movie moment? All of it.

Can't think of a single redeeming quality.

That type of movie is frustrating. They have such a big budget and I mean, it's not the worst movie I ever saw or anything, but it definitely should have been a lot better than that. There weren't really any likeable characters, except I guess the parents for putting up with her poo poo.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

That type of movie is frustrating. They have such a big budget and I mean, it's not the worst movie I ever saw or anything, but it definitely should have been a lot better than that. There weren't really any likeable characters, except I guess the parents for putting up with her poo poo.

I had to read the book for a cyberpunk course I took at uni, and it isn't any better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It really is incredible how many producers took a look at the MCU and decided to turn loving everything into a shared universe. And, as far as I can tell, not one of them succeeded. Maybe the Godzilla/King Kong films they've been making.

Until Godzilla vs. Kong comes out the only sign that it’s a shared universe are quick references.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

oldpainless posted:

I don’t know if I prefer people making a movie with the constraints of knowing there’s future movies and all that goes with them assuming it’s even profitable to make more or making a self contained movie that becomes popular and then they’re like oh yeah there’s actually more story ala the matrix

At least if you make a good movie then want to make a sequel, but realise you have no more interesting stories to tell, the first movie is still good. (and in an ideal world you just dont make the sequel if you havent got a good idea for it, but thats a dream). If you make a movie with a million nonsensical sequel teases that tanks then you made zero good movies. I know there was something I watched recently where I distinctly thought "Huh, the sequel tease they put in there seems way more interesting than the movie I'm currently watching. Why didnt they just make that movie instead?", but I cant remember what that would have been.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Was funny that Brightburn was an 'evil Superman' movie that ended with teases of an evil Justice League (and iirc nods to the director's other movies) with a Lex Luthor figure. Sequel hooks are just part of superhero movies now.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SiKboy posted:

We are living in the golden age of the failed shared cinematic universe my friend and it is loving GLORIOUS. King Arthur was going to be a 6 movie franchise (presumably with spin offs focusing on individual knights), the tarin egerton Robin Hood had similar plans.
For a while there was talk about a Friar Tuck movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alan Smithee posted:

what song from shrek 3 is it anyway

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Alhazred posted:

For a while there was talk about a Friar Tuck movie.

If it was the Friar Tuck from the Kevin Costner movie, absolutely would in a heartbeat.

"THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER TO PAY THE DEVIL ON YOUR WAY TO HELL"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SiKboy posted:

Do you mean "King Arthur: Legend of the Sword"? Because the movie Excalibur predates Lock Stock by 17 years.

Assuming you do, I 100% disagree; That movie was at its most entertaining where it was being fantasy lock stock. The weak parts of the movie were the franchise bait bits (Seriously, they had planned for 6 movies? Which I assume is why we got an acolyte of Merlin instead of well, Merlin) and the parts where it was trying to be more serious.

New IIMM - that stupid loving name.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

not smash mouth. The other one.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Imagined posted:

If it was the Friar Tuck from the Kevin Costner movie, absolutely would in a heartbeat.

"THIRTY PIECES OF SILVER TO PAY THE DEVIL ON YOUR WAY TO HELL"

I’m just amazed Mike McShane is still alive. He looked like he was gonna have his heart attack from Office Space in real life in some of the mid-90’s British Whose Line episodes...

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SiKboy posted:

At least if you make a good movie then want to make a sequel, but realise you have no more interesting stories to tell, the first movie is still good. (and in an ideal world you just dont make the sequel if you havent got a good idea for it, but thats a dream). If you make a movie with a million nonsensical sequel teases that tanks then you made zero good movies. I know there was something I watched recently where I distinctly thought "Huh, the sequel tease they put in there seems way more interesting than the movie I'm currently watching. Why didnt they just make that movie instead?", but I cant remember what that would have been.

There's a bit in The Expendables where Mickey Rourke was telling a story about a time they were trapped behind enemy lines, and it sounded much more interesting than the low-quality copy of The Dogs of War I was watching. Felt like I was watching a crap sequel to a film that never happened.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It was yeah I eat rear end complaining about Immigrant Song by Zeppelin in Thor:Ragnarok and that was the only way they knew how to refer to it lmfao

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Until Godzilla vs. Kong comes out the only sign that it’s a shared universe are quick references.

The post credits stuff in the last (not very good) Godzilla movie is pretty explicit about him fighting Kong next.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

never mind

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

food court bailiff posted:

It was yeah I eat rear end complaining about Immigrant Song by Zeppelin in Thor:Ragnarok and that was the only way they knew how to refer to it lmfao

Don't get me started again...

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Tbh it's really easy to only know Immigrant Song as "the Shrek 3 song" if you didn't grow up with/have parents that listened to Led Zeppelin. Movie also came out literally 13 years ago, there's probably an entire generation of teens who would categorize it that way (not that it isn't still hilarious)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Tbh it's really easy to only know Immigrant Song as "the Shrek 3 song" if you didn't grow up with/have parents that listened to Led Zeppelin. Movie also came out literally 13 years ago, there's probably an entire generation of teens who would categorize it that way (not that it isn't still hilarious)

Led Zeppelin was forbidden in the household when I was growing up, along with the simpsons, mortal kombat, and Friends, among many other things. When I was 13 or so I bought a cassette tape of metallica from my friend who stole it from his dad and it got burned in front of me before I could even listen to it. Worst 7 bucks I ever spent.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Lars would approve :colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

The monster hunter agency plays a big part In both movies.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Alhazred posted:

The monster hunter agency plays a big part In both movies.

Not a lot of shared cast though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

SiKboy posted:

They instead excise interesting stuff to save for sequels

That's it right there.

You don't start your billion dollar shared universe by cutting corners. People aren't going to sit through three subpar movies over the course of half a decade on the promise that they'll get interesting one day, we promise.

You need at least one good product to start things off and people will follow just out of inertia and hope.

I mean, I'm still looking forward to season 3 of Westworld, despite the best efforts of season 2 of Westworld.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

That's it right there.

You don't start your billion dollar shared universe by cutting corners. People aren't going to sit through three subpar movies over the course of half a decade on the promise that they'll get interesting one day, we promise.

You need at least one good product to start things off and people will follow just out of inertia and hope.

I mean, I'm still looking forward to season 3 of Westworld, despite the best efforts of season 2 of Westworld.

The MCU got it right with Iron Man, which was a pretty great superhero movie and outside of the post-credits scene, I don’t think it had anything jammed in to build up an extended universe.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Led Zeppelin was forbidden in the household when I was growing up, along with the simpsons, mortal kombat, and Friends, among many other things.

"Friends" is the outlier here, I'd say. What did your parents object to about it?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

All of the main characters are extremely sexually active, which depending on how puritanical the household is might be offensive.

or maybe their parents just had good taste and didn't want to expose them to it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Mortdecai was supposed to have a whole slew of sequels. After it bombed someone posted a screenshot of one of the producer's IMDB credits and there a bunch of entries with future release dates. I guess they started production before America's love affair with Johnny Depp finally ended.

Back to using different actors as younger characters, Doctor Sleep did alright in using different people to act out flashbacks to The Shining. Especially for the Jack Nicholson scenes they initially position the camera as to not show the actor's face so you wonder if you're going to get some janky CGI. Instead they finally show his face and you get an actor who vaguely resembles the Jack Torrance character. I'm sure it was a budget/rights thing, but taking the cheaper route was the better one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The MCU got it right with Iron Man, which was a pretty great superhero movie and outside of the post-credits scene, I don’t think it had anything jammed in to build up an extended universe.

Yeah that's the thing. People constantly talk about how you need to do it how Marvel did and not jumpstart, but overlook how Marvel's first phase are just standalone movies with post credit scenes and Coulson.

The way Marvel did it was by mostly not doing it.