Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

There's stuff reported from South America & SE Asia that people have tested positive for Covid-19 following transiting through London. I'm guessing that is Heathrow. I would think that Airports are places to avoid if at all possible (even moreso than usual).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

big scary monsters posted:

I feel like the latest email from Keir Starmer asking for donations is treading a little close to the line.

From the formatting and language you could easily be forgiven for thinking this is an official Labour Party funding drive and that the money would go to the party rather than to Starmer's campaign.

I had that one, it's sketchy as fuuuuuuck, especially the subject just being 'Keirstarmer.com'...

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

up from 206 the day before and 163 the day before that and 115 the day before that, so roughly a 25% increase per day?

and still they do not seem to be taking it seriously, just talking about how they are definitely taking it seriously and they are definitely going to be doing all sorts of poo poo if it gets bad

like just saying "we need to plan for up to 20% of the work force being off" like it's going to be an inconvenience when the corollary of that is tens of thousands of dead people, or proposing bizarre half measures like banning over 70s from public gatherings

if you're already accepting this poo poo is going to be disruptive, why not preemptively accept the disruption and start doing the drastic poo poo now before it gets super out of hand and you're just shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Generally I think it's supposed to double every six or so days.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Because number must go up, OP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also yes, your life does not have an immediate quantifiable value, therefore it is less relevant than number.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Generally I think it's supposed to double every six or so days.
it's all rather academic and depends on the preventive measures being taken alongside cultural differences

i've said it before but when this hits football fans it's too late, they need to stop crowds in stadiums yesterday

and this is a tad concerning:
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236668072016125952

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Everything I'm reading gives me the impression that half of London had loving got it already, we're just waiting for symptoms to appear

One of my friends was tested today, results in 3 days. Thankfully i haven't met him for weeks and there are no friends-of-friends connections, but I'm definitely feeling it getting closer.

If my office isn't closed tomorrow I'm going to be supremely disappointed and I'm half tempted to sickday it out

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
https://twitter.com/suzanne_moore/status/1236419055642456065

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i've said it before but when this hits football fans it's too late, they need to stop crowds in stadiums yesterday

250,000 people (give or take) attend football matches every week. That number of people pass through Waterloo Station every single day, and out-of-town shopping centres attract numbers that the FA can only dream of.

Not that I'd be averse to them just ending the season and pretending it never happened just to gently caress with scousers, but banning football will have considerably less effect on preventing the spread of infection as banning Ikea (also not a bad idea now I think of it).

e: Cos I can't stop myself diving into this sort of thing - if every professional club in London had a home game on the same day (something that even if it were statistically probable is specifically prevented by local policing requirements) and sold out, that would be 431,114 people, or slightly less visitors than Bluewater gets in a week.

ee: Bluewater is only the seventh biggest by terms of customer numbers in the UK - Westfield Stratford (which is undoubtedly skewed by the amount of people shortcutting through it) has almost twice as many visitors.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 8, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

banning Ikea (also not a bad idea now I think of it).

once again Coventry is way ahead of the curve

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 8, 2020

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

quote:

New chancellor was part of team at aggressive hedge fund involved in US court case over a raid on rail freight firm

Sunak was a partner of The Children’s Investment (TCI) fund when it threatened to “go to war” with the board of the American rail freight operator CSX, where the tactics included pledging to topple the company’s board after the hedge fund had surprised directors by amassing a secret interest.

Following the campaign, CSX shares declined, prompting TCI to sell its stake and take its directors off the board.
x

So glad he gets to do this on an entire country now.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Obviously I'm more offended by the old "defending the rights of women" / "specifically opposing the rights of women I don't like" sleight of hand, but: does she actually think weed is a psychedelic?

Graun hacks & transphobes very poorly informed, who knew

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

this woman is ill

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's all rather academic and depends on the preventive measures being taken alongside cultural differences

and this is a tad concerning:
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236668072016125952

Yeah, it's too early to say what the trend's going to be like. If it keeps increasing at a steady 50-80 cases a day, that's peanuts in terms of a big country like ours; if it starts doubling every few days, we'll be seeing some scarily big numbers in a couple of months. From my back-of-an-envelope calculations:

60 new cases a day, starting with 273 on 08 March = 5,253 cases by the end of May.
Starting with 273 cases on 08 March and doubling every 6 days = approx. 4.5 million cases by the end of May.

Let's hope it's the 1st option!

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Borrovan posted:

Obviously I'm more offended by the old "defending the rights of women" / "specifically opposing the rights of women I don't like" sleight of hand, but: does she actually think weed is a psychedelic?

Probably mushrooms.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

250,000 people (give or take) attend football matches every week. That number of people pass through Waterloo Station every single day, and out-of-town shopping centres attract numbers that the FA can only dream of.

To be fair, isn't it prolonged exposure to someone infected, eg next to you in the stands for two hours, we need to worry about, more than just walking past them?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

big scary monsters posted:

Probably mushrooms.
Illegal in Amsterdam (I think), & "plant medicine" certainly sounds like something that a middle class person ~expanding their mind~ might refer to weed as

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

To be fair, isn't it prolonged exposure to someone infected, eg next to you in the stands for two hours, we need to worry about, more than just walking past them?

Not compared to touching a surface (e.g. an escalator handrail) touched by tens of thousands of other people, I'd have thought.

e: To give the old back of the envelope even more of a workout and using a much simpler station - Canary Wharf has ~75k users per day, all of whom will have to take at least four of the 20 escalators, which means means 15,000 people all touching the same physical object with their filthy disease-ridden hands (and of course all of whom have been packed in much tighter confines than even the 80s terraces could manage)

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 8, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

I get confused by this. How does anyone in America make money? How does anyone have savings? If they apply a system like that here, where there is obviously much less disposable income

Uhhh. Unless 'here' for you is Zimbabwe, it's not that huge a difference tbh. Your average American isn't a Silicon Valley techbro.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Could be any of a number of botanical psychedelics, "plant medicine" sounds like New Age-speak for stuff like Ayahuasca, but

quote:

psy·che·del·ic (sī'kĕ-del'ik),
1. Pertaining to a rather imprecise category of drugs with mainly central nervous system action, and with effects said to be the expansion or heightening of consciousness, for example, LSD, hashish, mescaline, psilocybin.

Eat a teenth, you'll find weed plenty psychedelic.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Cancelling public events puts fewer people through public transport to and from said events, too

People do have to stay home... if they all collectively go "welp the footie's cancelled I'm going to hit up the mall, the park, and the pubs" then they will generate many exciting new opportunities to meet new people regardless. Suspending commuting to work altogether is tough due to the economic impact, but anything that can be dispensed with is worth considering. Many churches in Hong Kong have switched to livestreaming Sunday services for example

ronya fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 8, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

Cancelling public events puts fewer people through public transport to and from said events, too

How many people on the tube to watch Arsenal vs. West Ham on Saturday would have been on the tube for each of the five week days before?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

yeah uh, i don't just mean football alone. all movement needs to be minimised and people need to start accepting this in the coming weeks

the issue isn't even local matches, but all the buses of people touring every match no matter the weather causing cross-city spread

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

How many people on the tube to watch Arsenal vs. West Ham on Saturday would have been on the tube for each of the five week days before?

Considering most West Ham fans come in from the arse end of Essex probably not that many.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SteffanBlayney/status/1236685322462822400

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Why is it that the British general public's response to almost any crisis is BUT MY HOLIDAAAAYS!!!!!!! :bahgawd:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Considering most West Ham fans come in from the arse end of Essex probably not that many.

I mean apart from the fact that West Ham fans are still overwhelmingly London-based (even if they live in places like Romford that don't like to admit that they're in London) where do you think people who live in Essex (and have enough money to follow West Ham home and away) work?

e: A *huge* amount of whinging about moving to the Taxpayer Dome is that fans bought places along the District Line when they white-flew their way out of Forest Gate and so the trip to the ground is slightly less convenient for them because they either have to walk from West Ham or go in to Mile End and back out.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 8, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

crispix posted:

Why is it that the British general public's response to almost any crisis is BUT MY HOLIDAAAAYS!!!!!!! :bahgawd:

Can't blame people for wanting to get away from this shithole. Even if it's a week in Benidorm.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

probably most of them, but spending 6/7s as much time packed into the tube is still a win... and the rush hour crowd is going from home where they interact with the same 1-5 people, to an office where probably they interact with the same 10-20 people over the past 14 days - it is public events that explodes the "number of people one has been within two meters of for at least fifteen minutes over the past fourteen days" statistic

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I get confused by this. How does anyone in America make money? How does anyone have savings? If they apply a system like that here, where there is obviously much less disposable income, everyone is going to be permanently in debt. The new 'rich' will be someone that merely has 0 money.

You have to make sure you (or your partner) gets a job with insurance. And if you lose your job - bye bye insurance.

Coronavirus:

A friend is supposed to be coming over from the US in a couple of weeks - she's nearly 70, just getting over an illness, so immuno-compromised, has to use a CPAP machine anyway. I'm encouraging her not to come, but another friend of hers has come over to London for a few days from Africa and is telling her "everything is fine, life in London is normal, no shortages, no problems".
Trying to convince my friend that London is not necessarily representative of the whole of the UK, she's planning to go to Sheffield.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 8, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Borrovan posted:

Illegal in Amsterdam (I think), & "plant medicine" certainly sounds like something that a middle class person ~expanding their mind~ might refer to weed as

Mushrooms are legal in the netherlands.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

Ayahuasca?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So in non-virus ISP chat.

It turns out Three is a complicated mess of a company to deal with.

Basically i took out a 4G home broadband contract with them back in Feb (some of your might remember my woes with their unhelpful international call centers), but a week or two ago 5G launched in my home town (a silly tiny spec of a place).

I assumed it would be a simple enough job to ring them up and ask for an upgrade in which they'd:
- send out the 5G router
- give me a week or something to test the signal
- ask for the 4G router to be sent back
- bump my monthly payments up from £20-£35 or whatever it is.

Simple right? After all, my sim card is supposedly already 5G enabled. I just need a 5G router.

Nope. After playing pass the parcel with various customer support and technical teams (none of whom spoke to each-other about the case) the last person i spoke to told me my 2 year contract is with Three, but the 5G contracts are with Relish which was acquired by Three a few years back.

"It's just our branding on it you see"

No, i don't bloody see. You're the same company now.

She told me there's no way to upgrade my broadband contract with them and i'd have to take out a new 5G one (with Relish). True or not? gently caress knows, but maybe worth bearing in mind if you're planning on taking out any Three internet any time soon.

As it is, i'm actually better off following the advice i initially got from the guy in the local Three store and just buy myself a 5G sim router when they're available and just keep paying the £20 a month to Three. Sure it'll be a bigger upfront cost but i'll probably save myself money in the long run.

How is this company still running with such lovely service.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jippa posted:

Mushrooms are legal in the netherlands.

not sure anyone but the hippiest of hippies would refer to them as "medicine" though

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

not sure anyone but the hippiest of hippies would refer to them as "medicine" though

Seems extremely on brand for a guardian hack though.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Julio Cruz posted:

god anything that grows on this earth up to and enthusiastically including deadly poison gets called medicine. you bet your rear end that mushrooms get called it, constantly.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
the imagery of a total building-by-building for-the-love-of-god-montresor quarantine is probably counterproductive - merely limiting most interactions for most people to interactions with (mostly) the same people would achieve the main public health benefits of reducing the #close-contacts-of-close-contacts statistic

as with vaccination, the policy struggle to enforce mass compliance is more on grounds of equity than on epidemiological effect at the margin...

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Kin posted:

So in non-virus ISP chat.

It turns out Three is a complicated mess of a company to deal with.

How is this company still running with such lovely service.

What's been interesting to me is seeing a ad post from Three on FB with many responses. Some, like me, have nothing but praise for the company - our experiences are almost entirely excellent. Others seem to have very poor experience.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

ronya posted:

probably most of them, but spending 6/7s as much time packed into the tube is still a win... and the rush hour crowd is going from home where they interact with the same 1-5 people, to an office where probably they interact with the same 10-20 people over the past 14 days - it is public events that explodes the "number of people one has been within two meters of for at least fifteen minutes over the past fourteen days" statistic

Not compared to a single trip on a rush-hour tube it doesn't, because you're exposed to far more people (and far more *different* people) in conditions far more conducive to transmission - people coughing/sneezing in the direction of your face, touching hard surfaces touched by other people, etc.

Within two metres of me at London Stadium are about 15 people and - like at most premiership grounds - they're season ticket holders so it tends to be the same people each week. Certainly the ones directly next to me in all 8 directions really are the same people each time, and more importantly we're all facing in the same direction so unless irritated tutting is a major transmission vector I'd say it's about the best-case scenario in terms of a large gathering of people.

There are *definitely* more people than that within that distance of me on the DLR to get to the stadium, and even that's a picnic compared to Monday morning at 0830 - and like I say, these people are facing in random directions, touching the same objects as me, and generally being much more likely to transmit any of their various nasties to me.

I agree that cutting tube use would have much more economic impact than closing down recreational space so it's not a good comparison, and if it were still the days of 20k people in a single Kop I'd agree that there's a concern there, but compared to even a single Saturday-afternoon Ikea it's *way* down the list of priorities.