Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Entorwellian posted:

I was just thinking that the coronavirus is probably going to kill all the airbnb and ridesharing stuff here for a while so it'll be interesting to see how many people walk away from their investment properties.

I mean Airbnb maybe but I don't see how it'll kill ride-sharing.

If anything I could see its use going up with people being paranoid about using transit and being stuck in an enclosed space with more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I mean Airbnb maybe but I don't see how it'll kill ride-sharing.

If anything I could see its use going up with people being paranoid about using transit and being stuck in an enclosed space with more people.

If you were an uber driver, would you want to be picking up strangers who are probably wiping their nose and smearing it all over the car door handles in your vehicle? Or all of the trapped air particles that float around all day with you? Do you want to be picking people up from the airport and hospital?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No but *looks at dusty, spider-web-lined account that says RENT*

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Entorwellian posted:

Or all of the trapped air particles that float around all day with you?

Did COVID start being airborne?

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Did COVID start being airborne?

If you're close enough to be in a car with someone and they cough, the droplets will be in the air long enough to breathe in.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
So this thread talks alot about the west coast. Come follow me on my journey to buy a house in the GTA.. we have such things as run down shacks located in Mississauga now that sell over asking!

My budget is 750k and it took me and my fiance 10 years to save up for it and we can't find poo poo.

Most semis are now getting over bid by 100k consistently and there seems to be no end to it. Someone just bought a semi listed for 750k for 900k and literally a day ago a detached home sold for 900k on the same area

What am I missing here? And I highly doubt it's ever gonna get better. We both work out asses off at our jobs (overtime is the norm) and we still feel like we can't catch up. What's the loving point? Like honestly ..

Should I say gently caress it , and put 5% down on a $1m home and let my life go to ruins? I just wanna live man.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
Just rent.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Defenistrator posted:

So this thread talks alot about the west coast. Come follow me on my journey to buy a house in the GTA.. we have such things as run down shacks located in Mississauga now that sell over asking!

My budget is 750k and it took me and my fiance 10 years to save up for it and we can't find poo poo.

Most semis are now getting over bid by 100k consistently and there seems to be no end to it. Someone just bought a semi listed for 750k for 900k and literally a day ago a detached home sold for 900k on the same area

What am I missing here? And I highly doubt it's ever gonna get better. We both work out asses off at our jobs (overtime is the norm) and we still feel like we can't catch up. What's the loving point? Like honestly ..

Should I say gently caress it , and put 5% down on a $1m home and let my life go to ruins? I just wanna live man.

Come to Milton, we got another 30k units for sale the next 15 years. Starting from the low 700s lmao this country is a joke

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Risky Bisquick posted:

Come to Milton, we got another 30k units for sale the next 15 years. Starting from the low 700s lmao this country is a joke

I want to move to Collingwood and gently caress off from this poo poo show. My partner hates the idea :(

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Our rental decent but the likelihood of being renovated is very high .

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Defenistrator posted:

I want to move to Collingwood and gently caress off from this poo poo show. My partner hates the idea :(

There’s no safe place from the sprawl, 404 is developed up to Georgina, developments popping up in Collingwood and wasaga beach

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Prices get raised quicker than development gets done, and the only chance of finding affordable property in an urban area is by being there 20 years ahead of time. Cool and good system imo.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

You know the economy of a city is broken when the proprietor of one of the best and most influential restaurants in the city says it's not really possible to make the finances work.

Guess what's wrong? Yep, the land values have made the taxes insane and unworkable.

quote:

Iconic Vancouver restaurant Bishop’s to close due to rent, taxes

One of Vancouver’s most successful restaurateurs – an icon who pioneered the concept of a contemporary British Columbian cuisine, groomed countless industry leaders and set a benchmark for fine dining – says he is retiring, a victim of skyrocketing rents and property taxes.

John Bishop will be closing Bishop’s in Kitsilano on Aug. 1, after a multiaward-winning and influential 35-year run, because he says he can no longer afford to keep the doors open.

“The economic pressure on small businesses these days – the rising rents, the property taxes, the general cost of operations – well, it tends to keep you awake at night,” Mr. Bishop, 75, said in a phone interview on Tuesday.

Until recently, Mr. Bishop had been protected from rising rents by an accommodating landlord who owned the two-storey building at 2183 West 4th Ave., in the bustling thoroughfare of Vancouver’s tony Kitsilano neighbourhood.

Mr. Bishop’s landlord died four years ago and the estate has since boosted the rent. “Not by a huge amount,” Mr. Bishop says. But the property taxes have become untenable. The property was recently appraised at $5-million. Mr. Bishop pays one-third of the taxes and overhead on the building – approximately $19,000 last year, in addition to licensing permits ($2,468) and rent ($60,600).

“I don’t want to retire, but I don’t want to get to the point where I would have to declare bankruptcy, not after all these years. I thought about putting this in the press release. I didn’t want to cry the blues. But that’s the real story. I’m closing the restaurant because I'm no longer able to maintain it.”

Ian Tostenson, president and chief executive of the BC Restaurant and Food Services Association, says this “shocking” news will be a sobering wake-up call for politicians.

“People think if you’re John Bishop, you’ve got it made. He’s the classiest guy in the industry. And he’s there every night – not off in some office – practically parking the cars by himself.

“If this is what it’s going to take to get everyone to wake up and realize that Vancouver is no longer a place where people can afford to do business, then it’s really sad.”

Skyrocketing land values in certain commercial districts – the result of speculative buying or rezoning allowing greater density – have pushed assessments and tax bills up and have hammered small businesses.

Almost all business owners who rent are required to pay the taxes for the building they occupy – what’s known as a triple-net lease. The way the property-tax system works now, commercial properties are assessed based on sales of nearby properties with similar characteristics. That means the low-rise building where Mr. Bishop’s restaurant is could end up with the same valuation as if a multistorey condo complex with retail along the bottom was built there.

The assessed value of the building has more than doubled in only four years, going from $3.7-million in 2016 to $8.4-million in 2020 for the building, which has a few apartments over the restaurant.

Cities in the Lower Mainland have been asking for relief, but when the province unveiled it’s solution last week, the mayors said it was so deeply flawed as to be unworkable.

The Welsh-born chef’s contribution to the culinary scene has been huge. He opened Bishop’s in 1985 after being fired as head chef by the comptroller at Il Giardino, which had been hard hit by the recession.

He wasn’t the first Vancouver chef to celebrate local ingredients, but he was the most influential and famous, especially after 10 years on television with Umberto Menghi. At a time when most restaurants were still flying in Dover sole from Europe, he put Pacific sablefish on the menu, and cultivated strong relationships with farms and foragers. By the early aughts, his menu was almost all organic.

“John Bishop has always been known as the grandfather of local eating in Vancouver,”
says Burdock & Co.’s Andrea Carlson, one of many female chefs he employed at a time when restaurants were still boys’ clubs.

One of the last small fine-dining holdouts in Vancouver, Bishop’s set a high bar for gracious hospitality in an elegant room, where the tables are still set with white linen and antique silverware. The walls, cleaned with a fresh coat of paint every year, have always been adorned with the works of local artists (many long before they were famous), including Bill Reid, Gordon Smith, Robert Davidson, Toni Onley and Jack Shadbolt.

“John has a subtle way of making every customer feel like they’re the most important person in the room,” says Vikram Vij of Vij’s, one of many in an illustrious list of alumnus that includes James Walt (Araxi) and Adam Busby (now a director at the Culinary Institute of America).

“This restaurant is still such a cute little place,” says Mr. Bishop, who had hoped to go out on a higher note, but felt “obligated” to ring the alarm bells for the rest of the industry. “It would be the perfect restaurant for a young chef to take over. But how would they even begin to pay the costs?”

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 6, 2020

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

You know the economy of a city is broken when the proprietor of one of the best and most influential restaurants in the city says it's not really possible to make the finances work.

Guess what's wrong? Yep, the land values have made the taxes insane and unworkable.

I had a hunch this was the case, but this is damning. Thanks a lot, BC Liberals. You sold us out to foreign capital. Enjoy your hollowed out shell of a city.

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

Defenistrator posted:

A friend was in the same dilemma, had 200k cash on hand and was freaked out by the Toronto market. He found a job out in Moncton and got a house he could pay cash for [he didn't, he financed it and kept the rest for investments/savings and emergency fund]. He took a pay cut but relative to cost of living changes he's coming out ahead, so maybe moving is an option?

I did that but I wound up in the states.

Big K of Justice fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 7, 2020

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Financially there is less than zero reasons to buy. Your average unrecoverable costs a year will be greater than any rent on the market today. Just rent and put your savings into stocks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Femtosecond posted:

We have a similar system in Ontario where properties are taxed at their "highest and best use" so if you've got a one-story restaurant that's been doing fine for a century and then the government does their assessment and says "well, this spot would be good for a skyscraper" then the property will then be taxed as if it already is one.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I mean in theory it's a good idea since I guess it encourages positive and active development of the land, especially in a commercial area, but it breaks down completely when land prices detach from reality.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If this guy's lovely food had any social utility beyond its location then could he not....move his restaurant somewhere else?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Throatwarbler posted:

If this guy's lovely food had any social utility beyond its location then could he not....move his restaurant somewhere else?

dog he's 75 years old let the guy retire?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
He says he doesn't want to tho?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Throatwarbler posted:

A restaurant's clientele is really really location-based, especially for a place that's been open that long. He'll have a list of usual customers with favourite spots, orders, and so on that will not carry over, and that would sink any attempt to redevelop.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Bishops isn't really your neighborhood diner. The idea that relocating would materially hurt business more than the rent going up is silly.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

JawKnee posted:

Bishops isn't really your neighborhood diner. The idea that relocating would materially hurt business more than the rent going up is silly.

My brother is a chef who has worked in fine dining...I was really surprised when he told me how much of the business was driven be regulars. You or I might not go to a place like that every night, but there are those for whom it's a regular occurrence and they generate a lot of revenue for the restaurant.

Plus, the guy is 75. He probably doesn't want to go through the whole process of trying to move when the underlying variables driving his decision to close (rent, property taxes, etc.) are going to be the same wherever he goes in the Vancouver area. I bet he probably lives in Kits somewhere and would have to commute even further...why bother?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I mean, it's the business equivalent of the more common human dilemma. You can sell and cash out on your dumb high land value, but even among the accidental millionaires who lucked into owning very valuable property, there's hefty social and lifestyle costs to moving.

There's lots of questions to grapple with here. How do you collect tax revenue on business property that's land value has drastically outpaced its business growth? How do we create a system where people aren't priced out of their own city by factors far beyond their control? Should people have the expectation that they can live and work in the place they grew up (I loving hope so)? Fortunately, in capitalism we don't have to answer any of those questions, so let's just run this poo poo into the ground.

e: for spelling

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 9, 2020

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

CRISPYBABY posted:

Fortunately, in capitalism we don't have to answer any of those questions, so let's just run this poo poo into the ground.

Isn't this the truth.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

CRISPYBABY posted:

I mean, it's the business equivalent of the more common human dilemma. You can sell and cash out on your dumb high land value, but even among the accidental millionaires who lucked into owning very valuable property, there's hefty social and lifestyle costs to moving.

There's lots of questions to grapple with here. How do you collect revenue on business property that's land value has drastically outpaced its business growth? How we create a system where people aren't priced out of their own city by factors far beyond their control? Should people have the expectation that they can live and work in the place they grew up (I loving hope so)? Fortunately, in capitalism we don't have to answer any of those questions, so let's just run this poo poo into the ground.

Quoted for realness.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Big K of Justice posted:

A friend was in the same dilemma, had 200k cash on hand and was freaked out by the Toronto market. He found a job out in Moncton and got a house he could pay cash for [he didn't, he financed it and kept the rest for investments/savings and emergency fund]. He took a pay cut but relative to cost of living changes he's coming out ahead, so maybe moving is an option?

I did that but I wound up in the states.

If they get their healthcare in order I dunno why I'd stay in this country

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Defenistrator posted:

First off, good luck putting 5% down on a $1m home when the minimum is 20% at that point (also recall that you have to pay at least 10% down for every dollar over $500k).

Second, honestly it's a long-rear end process to find the right place in the right market. (semi-)detacheds move like crazy and we're coming into prime home-buying season right now so you're probably hosed straight through until summer. Don't blow your budget just to buy as soon as possible, especially if you've already got a cushy rental. Get familiar with the process your landlord has to follow to renovict you, keep an eye on MLS listings (zolo/realtor.ca are both pretty good for this, a realtor sending you daily MLS updates is better), and wait out the spring frenzy.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Alternatively,

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Was chatting with a mortgage broker this morning who said that there were a bunch of lenders issuing updates today re: no new loans in Alberta for now.

I assume that's "no new uninsured loans", but didn't ask for elaboration so who knows.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Briefly chatted at the gym this morning with someone who is involved in financing residential construction projects.

Re: Albertan projects - LMFAO

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oil could be $10 a barrel, fusion achieved, cars banned, and a cheap synthetic jet fuel made of gravel and water developed and Alberta would still have tantrum meltdowns that it's the federal government and greta and foreign agents destroying their powerful economy.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

ChickenWing posted:

Alternatively,

Yea I think we've decided to keep doing this. This markets insane. Just had a semi listed for 600k sell for 900k.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Defenistrator posted:

Yea I think we've decided to keep doing this. This markets insane. Just had a semi listed for 600k sell for 900k.

The market isn't so much insane as the people who think there is value in making those sort of purchases are not thinking as rationally as economists might hope. Homes are different to people than other goods, that much is evident.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Anecdotally, for some reason a lot of accepted offers in the 1-2m range have been falling apart on financing in the last week or so. Keep getting calls back re: places that were "sold".

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

James Baud posted:

Anecdotally, for some reason a lot of accepted offers in the 1-2m range have been falling apart on financing in the last week or so. Keep getting calls back re: places that were "sold".

Are buyers not able to obtain financing or are they breaking their sales agreements?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

James Baud posted:

Nice humblebrag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

half cocaine posted:

Are buyers not able to obtain financing or are they breaking their sales agreements?

Well, the theory was that downpayments got annihilated in the market drop so that they legitimately couldn't finance, but...