Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep hearing that Vietnam has gotten the virus under control. Any truth to that?

could be. theyre way smarter and tougher than usa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

As soon as she started I was like, describe all the symptoms, and when she did I immediately got into serious advice mode because it sounded exactly like corona :/ she's a tough lady and doesn't take poo poo, so I told her to bring out all get guns for insisting on getting tested. Like she's perfected being an immovable wall as well as being an unstoppable object when it comes to getting poo poo done due to her life experience so I'm confident she can get tested and such

did she have a fever? that's usually the most sure symptom

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

They're waiting TWO WEEKS to do it

at which point it'll have become EVEN MORE WIDESPREAD

:psypop:

It's cool that all the tech brain geniuses are working several weeks behind the pandemic so they can collectively wring hands in a month and say oh no what is to be done, if only we had known sooner. If only there was some sort of warning about how insanely hosed up everything would become. Imagine if we could observe date and act faster. Ah,

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

GABA ghoul posted:

This makes me wonder, is there actually some benefit to warming an infected body part? Like, using a heating lamp to warm a sore throat. I assume at least some bacteria will have a reduced reproduction rate at higher temperatures while your immune system might be much less affected? poo poo like putting a scarf on when you have an inflamed throat is a thing in many cultures.

e: otoh I read somewhere that fever doesn't actually affect outcomes with most diseases. So maybe not

My Wife warmed my pdue last night and there were definitely some benefits

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

i didn't even notice the date at first lmfao

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SKULL.GIF posted:

No, you don't get it. Code will stop the virus. After all, what is a virus but genetic code? You need code to beat code.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

did she have a fever? that's usually the most sure symptom

Yes, fever and dry cough. Soon as I heard both of those I went into 'here is what you need to do immediately' mode

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like to think they're just opening random doors and finding another 100 dead.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
I'm supposed to be flying out to Germany through United in a week and uh, hm, thinking about changing those plans.

How are is it to get a refund from those fuckers? I haven't flown much before, and I can only assume it'll be like pulling teeth.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im the propane space heater in the middle of the room

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

announcing the Climate Devastation Hackathon for October 30th, 2035, at which point the world's best and brightest will gather on a cruise liner towing five other cruise liners on a luxurious journey across the Pacific to brainstorm ways to prevent the climate devastation

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Scrree posted:

I'm supposed to be flying out to Germany through United in a week and uh, hm, thinking about changing those plans.

How are is it to get a refund from those fuckers? I haven't flown much before, and I can only assume it'll be like pulling teeth.

wouldnt worry about it pal

if you're american and think you're somehow better off staying there I have bad news

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

She's a cancer survivor with lasting effects from radiotherapy ME so I'm not taking chances. She's also A Good Boomer in that I grew up with her shelves filled with Marxist literature from doing politics, so not to be all not all boomers she's a good un

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

Yes, fever and dry cough. Soon as I heard both of those I went into 'here is what you need to do immediately' mode

yikes, glad she seems to be listening

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

No, you don't get it. Code will stop the virus. After all, what is a virus but genetic code? You need code to beat code.

the foremost thought leaders of science and industry gathered together to recreate the nam-shub of enki

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Here, the first good thing I've heard about coronavirus. Never was a Twitter tag more apposite.
https://twitter.com/twobitidiot/status/1236514330184687616

somebody's gonna put the ASCII of a laughing skull in front of a biohazard sign in a bitcoin transaction field, then bitcoin will be infected forever

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

time to fire up the ol' bitwallet to pay for this dark web katana, just click here and input password aaaaaaand....OH NO

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), has been pretty forthright.
Sunday morning shows

Unlike the Surgeon General and (sigh) the head of the CDC, Fauci is not a political appointee.

I knew Fauci was at least decent when he was asked if masks help regular healthy people, and he said that they do, but we don't have enough at the moment and health workers need them more. This was when the Surgeon General was tweeting the masks were pointless for people.

Also, he shut down the Senator who said "it's just the flu bro"

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Called her back to make sure she calls 111 like now to get assessed and to play every card for being taken seriously

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

lmao my father-in-law, who works pretty high up in military planning, saw how pike place was practically deserted and how air travel is going to get hurt badly soon and his response was "hell yes we can fly to seattle on the cheap, have tons of space in the plane, and hit up all the tourist spots"

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mackers posted:

yo I was wrong jeez

Now That's What I Call Thread Title! vol. 936

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

She's gonna take a poo poo then call them lol. That' my mum! Cracking out the emergency whisky

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

uh that's not a joke tweet umm
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1236698800439414784

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

She's gonna take a poo poo then call them lol. That' my mum! Cracking out the emergency whisky

hope everything comes out alright!

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

DC is so hosed. Community case announced yesterday. Have we prepared at all? Of course not because the president might get scared. So it's been here for weeks and tons of people are gonna get sick. We have two international airports and a large proportion of our population travels.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

yeah i didn't post about it but i was definitely thinking "this'll all blow over and be nothing just like every other potential pandemic" until sometime in february

turns out this thing is a perfect storm and the only hope now to avoid a massive catastrophe is that the death rate is actually much lower than even the most conservative ~0.5% estimates. germany seems to be doing something right because they have 1k cases and apparently no deaths?

germany has caught their cases quickly, and this disease takes a long time. mortality will rise a lot.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

DC is so hosed. Community case announced yesterday. Have we prepared at all? Of course not because the president might get scared. So it's been here for weeks and tons of people are gonna get sick. We have two international airports and a large proportion of our population travels.

Fairfax county just sent out mass text and email for their news conference. 80 year old fairfax city (borders geroge mason univ) traveler started getting sick feb 28th, went for treatment march 5th...

aaaaaaaaand they cut the feed

703 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Mar 8, 2020

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Trump is 100% going to make Fauci the fall guy. He'll be gone in a month.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

Has OPM done anything to extend telework options for DC federal workers? Seems like now is the moment.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Rip Testes posted:

Has OPM done anything to extend telework options for DC federal workers? Seems like now is the moment.

Not sure. My job is 100% remote so I'm prepared to self quarantine if need be but it's frightening how little the government is doing about a present outbreak.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

uh that's not a joke tweet umm

yeah def not a joke

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1236703387913084928

poty fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 8, 2020

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

yeah i didn't post about it but i was definitely thinking "this'll all blow over and be nothing just like every other potential pandemic" until sometime in february

turns out this thing is a perfect storm and the only hope now to avoid a massive catastrophe is that the death rate is actually much lower than even the most conservative ~0.5% estimates. germany seems to be doing something right because they have 1k cases and apparently no deaths?

Takes time to kill people. Give it a few weeks.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Gonna go out today and touch all kinds of things and not wash my hands just as a flex on old people.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

Scrree posted:

Depends how you bought the ticket. I cancelled a trip I bought with points and they refunded it no hassle. If you paid money and bought after March 1st, cancellation and rebooking is waived. Before then you still have to pay to move/cancel. Hopefully they change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
I remember the "foot and mouth disease" scare in ireland and that really hosed poo poo up

and that was for loving cows

hoo boy this is gonna get nuts