Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Don't get high on your own supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Telsa Cola posted:

Jesus why would you make your hallways like that, thats just asking to get swarmed and be unable to make a good melee and firing line.

I like big hallways and I cannot lie.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wide hallways are fine and good, especially as it allows you to concentrate ranged firepower without shooting into the back of people's heads.

However that's less hallway and more a series of rooms floating in a giant cavern.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Got through it with minimal losses. I thought of it right after I closed the game to go to sleep. I called in 4 squads of royal soldiers to be the meat.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 8, 2020

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
One of my colonist decided to start poo poo with the T5 android.

First punch the android took his head off.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Playing as a lost tribe on savage Randy. Get a poison ship and manage to somehow kill the centipedes with only a finger lost. Randy gives me chickens, that's cool I could use the eggs. Cold snap, volcanic winter in the middle of winter. Colonists now have to fight to survive at -80 because I haven't managed to find decent fur to make coats and the traders keep leaving because of unsafe temperatures. Basically becomes a game of my colonists huddled around a fire risking limbs to get wood for the fire. Upside, all the raids died of cold while I huddled behind my walls. Too cold to hunt so we ate the raiders, quite a few mental breaks that day.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Thrasophius posted:

Playing as a lost tribe on savage Randy. Get a poison ship and manage to somehow kill the centipedes with only a finger lost. Randy gives me chickens, that's cool I could use the eggs. Cold snap, volcanic winter in the middle of winter. Colonists now have to fight to survive at -80 because I haven't managed to find decent fur to make coats and the traders keep leaving because of unsafe temperatures. Basically becomes a game of my colonists huddled around a fire risking limbs to get wood for the fire. Upside, all the raids died of cold while I huddled behind my walls. Too cold to hunt so we ate the raiders, quite a few mental breaks that day.

smells like rimworld

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I wish I could figure out how to play this game as a story simulator and not "if my colonists are 'losing', what's the point of playing". Yes, I have some severe brain worms / mental problems.

i guess I could see it as "see how violently I can have my pawns die and if they survive it's amazing"..

perspective is everything

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You could turn down the difficulty a bunch if you find it too combat focused, or disable some of the combat events.

If you want to make it more survival focused you can do things like ramp up the hunger rate, lower rest effectiveness, reduce crop yields etc, lower temperature tolerances, all in the scenario editor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Turning difficulty down only helps so much. Raids will be smaller and some of the worst incidents are disabled but the base mechanics don't really change. Consider some mods to nerf or disable the more extreme stuff like mechanoids and the really bad explosive weapons raiders can field.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1557017785 disable mechanoid raids (ship part crashes can be disabled via scenario editor)
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1546231441 "Turtle Friendly Raids" disables sappers + other raid types that drop in by pod, which includes mechanoids, mech clusters & mech sieges
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2012264335 Edit your scenario after starting a game (this is very weird and take with a grain of salt but it's a great idea)

e: A few of this guy's mods nerf raids & combat significantly
https://steamcommunity.com/id/MurmurSix/myworkshopfiles/?appid=294100&sort=score&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 8, 2020

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
You can just not be afraid of the debug menu, too.

I started my current colony with a full on endgame spaceship from sos2 but without the engines/fuel/research. The idea is it "crashed" and then in the late game I'll launch it. Anyhow I have 8 dudes. Before my defenses are fully up I get a siege and one of my shooters has a kidney blown out. I had to push the siege because I don't want to get the spaceship hosed up, I have no way to fix it right now within the rules of my story.

So I could have healed him right there if I wanted and just pretend he wasn't shot but decided to go for it. And we made it! Pulled a kidney out of a prisoner from the raid.

But if he'd died? I might've just resurrected him because I don't want him to die. Who cares, it's your ant farm.

Once I get later into a colony I tend to let people die a lot more but I'm not into having runs hosed up by bad rolls early on, so I just don't have runs hosed up by bad rolls early on.

But I've also played runs like "let's drop 10 dudes into naked brutality in a jungle and see what happens" and it usually doesn't go well!! That's a different story.

Basically the thing about Rimworld is it is a story sim regardless of how you play it, it's not a game that is designed to have you "beat it." It's not fair, it's not really balanced, especially since so many of us like Randy. So you shouldn't really play it like it is. You absolutely can let everything go wrong, or just don't.

For me personally I tend to like to see what goes wrong when the threats aren't existential but that's mostly because I don't really like the early game survival loop. So I debug in a base and start with 10 dudes and some pregnancies and etc and see where things go. Usually things get existential later on but it's more fun for me to try to handle it with resources than to go "welp."

But yeah. Maybe start with more people? Losing someone to a lion attack in the first quarter hurts a lot less when you have 10 people vs 3 and like I said I tend to be less protective and let more happen without worrying about it when losing a person isn't existential.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
If you want to tone down raids but keep the other difficulties intact you can use Prepare for Combat, it allows you to tweak the raid difficulty calculations.

Griz
May 21, 2001

patch today includes "donkey is no longer bigger than a yak"

that explains why my donkey was able to kick the poo poo out of two drop pod raiders that landed next to it before I could get anyone else over there

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
My tamed rabbit had a heart attack out of nowhere. Scared me.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like how every single "hunting decree" so far has basically just forced me to slaughter something I had already tamed.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

FairyNuff posted:

You could just make some drugs? Like having a beer/narcotics industry gives you something to do, provides trade goods and keeps the pawns happy.

Also adds a bit of story tension if people od.

Pharnakes posted:

Chemical interest isn't if for an od it's when, and usually within the quarter.

It was already less desirable for me than pro, now I'm just going to banish on sight.

Chemical interest is recreational drugs, not hard drugs. (Chemical fascination is hard drugs.) Pawns won't OD on booze/weed/tea/ambrosia. It's just a lovely trait because recreational drugs tend to reduce core stats, making them bad at whatever they do. Plus they randomly binge even when they aren't unhappy and are useless during the binges.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Mar 9, 2020

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Does Luciferium fix up brain damage? I accidentally ennobled my very own half-a-brain person who failed enough on rejuvenate (modded age reduction surgery) rolls despite being a level 16 doctor that I had to put my oldest colonist (now was 80, now 130) into cryptosleep after realising why that was happening.

I don't want to have to arrange for an unfortunate accident, but I've not seen healer mech serum yet :(

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Does Luciferium fix up brain damage?

Yes, it'll fix any permanent injury (including scars) except for missing body parts.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Question about mechanoid difficulty: I'm playing my first game of rimworld and stumbled into a ruin with 5 or so mechanoids in it. They mowed down the guy opening up that ruin real fast and seem quite strong. Should I better ignore them for the moment or do you think three dudes with guns could take on a single mechanoid at a time and pick them off one by one slowly?

Edit: They seem to be happy to hang around where they are but would they get into shootouts with trader caravans etc?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
You can kite them around while others shoot. Go for it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If they're awake and loose and not actually attacking you, I guess you can try to ignore them but it's going to require micromanagement to keep your colonists out of there. Make a zone that excludes a large area around the mechanoids and restrict your colonists to it. At least they won't get hungry and come hunting your colonists like insects would :shrug:

5 vs 3 is terrible odds if you just started. You don't have any way of fighting them one at a time other than just luck.
e:oops, unless they're all scythers? I was thinking you got a mix of some shooters some melee

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
There are some scythers, shooters and one centipede but they wander in and out of their ruin so I can wait for one to come out and then drag them out of sight maybe. They seem quite fast though, how many shots will it take to kill them? Not sure I can outrun them for long.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Traps and IED's are your friend for dealing with mechanoids.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

the centipede all by itself will wipe you out and you won't have anything to counter it if you just started.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

If you want to go full gently caress the Royals you actually want to accept the first 'wimpy noble' quest where a count or something is running from an angry squirrel.

Then you arrest them and pull all of the pyschic amplifiers out of their head before letting them go (or harvesting their organs I guess?), getting a full set of count tier powers at zero risk is huge.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
12 royal favour for 29 days of dry thunderstorm? Sure, why not?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So through my own ignorance I've gotten myself into a pickle. I have two colonists around a day away from home, out of food, and one of them just got food-poisoning.

I'd like to save them both if possible, do I have options here? If I send out a rescue party with more food, could that work?

I've had a 10 day and counting toxic fallout event on this run and I'm about at my wits end.

Broken Cog posted:

12 royal favour for 29 days of dry thunderstorm? Sure, why not?

I'd take that. I've started building all my structures out of stone so I can completely ignore fire-fighting.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

PantsBandit posted:

So through my own ignorance I've gotten myself into a pickle. I have two colonists around a day away from home, out of food, and one of them just got food-poisoning.

I'd like to save them both if possible, do I have options here? If I send out a rescue party with more food, could that work?

I've had a 10 day and counting toxic fallout event on this run and I'm about at my wits end.

You can send a caravan with more food and merge them when they're in the same map hex. Once you have the ability to make transport pods you can also just lob supply drops at a caravan on the map.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

You can send a caravan with more food and merge them when they're in the same map hex. Once you have the ability to make transport pods you can also just lob supply drops at a caravan on the map.

Awesome, that's what I was hoping would work but I wanted confirmation before risking any more pawns, especially since it will leave my base on a skeleton crew for couple days.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PantsBandit posted:

I'd take that. I've started building all my structures out of stone so I can completely ignore fire-fighting.

The big issue is that it will turn your map into a blasted, scarred wasteland with limited to no animal life and will also likely destroy any crops you try to plant unless your entire setup is hydroponic.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Prokhor posted:

Hell yeah it is.

For the person talking about defenses earlier, I personally just go with the ole trap maze.

For bonus points you can send your cyborg psyker out to stun and slow them and pop them with free hits

How does this work? The times I try it, they just break down the doors.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Welp, managed to get my caravan home but in the meantime everyone at home got Malaria and then I got hit by a huge raid soooo....guess this run is over ;(

I even went to the trouble of training an attack rhino, but his master is disabled with extreme malaria so it won't even defend my base ughhhh

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

lol just had two exes get back together and they still have the ex debuff. I love you again, but I don't quite trust you...

Any tips for grinding social?

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 9, 2020

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

PantsBandit posted:

lol just had two exes get back together and they still have the ex debuff. I love you again, but I don't quite trust you...

Any tips for grinding social?

Have a prisoner and just set your dude to Warden 1 and the prisoner to Reduce Resistance. When Hospitality gets updated, that was my number 2 method.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

you have to leave the end open and have something desirable for them to reach, and the path to reach the yummy cheese shouldn't be TOO long or arduous (i.e. don't fill every open tile with rock chunks)

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

You have to have open spaces I think, they'll take the path of least resistance.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Would breeding a stock of Grizzly Bears and give them go juice be a good idea for base defense?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Broken Cog posted:

Would breeding a stock of Grizzly Bears and give them go juice be a good idea for base defense?

As long as you can feed them it will be very effective until your dumbass handler starts bonding to them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It takes a pretty high skill to be assigned as a bear trainer so yeah, it's difficult to spread out assignments and one pawn tends to end up collecting all the difficult animal bonds. Great until a couple of them die and this sets the trainer who goes bananas, and/or trainer gets killed (possibly while berko from a previous bonded animal loss) and all the bears go berserk because their beloved master died

e: on the other hand, a bunch of tamed bears is p awesome, do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

Have a prisoner and just set your dude to Warden 1 and the prisoner to Reduce Resistance. When Hospitality gets updated, that was my number 2 method.

Thanks I'll give that a try.

Someone earlier in the thread was suggesting having your pawns go hunt a small animal and miss repeatedly to train shooting, but it looks like you only get xp for landed shots. I just had my pawn shoot at a downed enemy 10-12 times, shooting +, fast learner. No change.

Edit: Actually looking at this now and it does work on animals. Just the downed guy wasn't giving xp.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 9, 2020