Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Skratte posted:

That's a nice island you got there (I drew some raccoon goons)

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Skratte posted:

:five:

Ma Isabelle is da real dame pullin the strings behind the scenes.

Tom Nook is just a front man I tells ya! A FRONT MAN!

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Isabelle is clearly the heavy guns. Why do you think Doomguy likes her so much?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Skratte posted:

Sir Simon Milligan
Mar 27, 2003

Yes, I have walked along the path of evil many times, it's a twisting curving path, that actually leads to a charming block garden, but beyond that evil!

broken pixel posted:

Did you get an order in before today? I was wondering if it was worth going to my local Walmart to see if I could do something. If not, I have friend at the nearest Best Buy that says there'll be some in stock when it launches.

No I ordered it right as I posted earlier. The Walmart near me said it had 2 for pre order, so I snagged it, and then it said come on in at noon and grab it. I think I might have got lucky. Maybe going in and checking couldn’t hurt.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Skratte posted:

If only e-cred were exchangeable for Nook Miles.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I’ve secretly been a raccoon it will be nice to be part of a gang and do it with a group now

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
I have been ready for a new AC for SO LONG!!!! I'm so jazzed this thread is so active and I'll have people to do things with on launch! I added myself to the discord and will put myself in the spreadsheet as soon as I get to my switch to find my friend code.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Given our hellworld timeline I’m not surprised people want a new AC so bad. It’s like a golden little island in a vast sea of horrible

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008
I'm getting the idea that this would be a perfect game for somebody who loves stardew valley and enjoys the cute factor?

I've never played any of the series. Is there some kind of a good introduction video to the series?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I'm getting the idea that this would be a perfect game for somebody who loves stardew valley and enjoys the cute factor?

I've never played any of the series. Is there some kind of a good introduction video to the series?

There's no real strats or anything. I'd just watch some of the Vinesauce videos for New Leaf to get a better idea of what it's like I guess?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

DeadlyHalibut posted:

You're absolutely correct with that first idea. Don't have an intro for the second, I told my mom about it when I was a little kid and she went out and bought it for us that day because she was so into the concept as I'd described it to her. If I could be in your shoes with new Animal Crossing eyes, I'd avoid introducing myself too much to anything beforehand. The magic is strongest the first time and without expectation. Suffice to say, this Animal Crossing is looking to be the best Animal Crossing and you as Stardew and cuteness-liker will undoubtedly love it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i just woke up 5 minutes ago from a dream in which i was playing this

it was pretty awesome aside from the great deku tree being on my island

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Great Deku Tree is NOT allowed on my island

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Khanstant posted:

You're absolutely correct with that first idea. Don't have an intro for the second, I told my mom about it when I was a little kid and she went out and bought it for us that day because she was so into the concept as I'd described it to her. If I could be in your shoes with new Animal Crossing eyes, I'd avoid introducing myself too much to anything beforehand. The magic is strongest the first time and without expectation. Suffice to say, this Animal Crossing is looking to be the best Animal Crossing and you as Stardew and cuteness-liker will undoubtedly love it.

Fair enough, we'll go in blind and enjoy the game to it's fullest

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The Great Deku Tree is NOT allowed on my island

How many Best Friends with axes would it take to get rid of the Great Deku Tree, I wonder?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DeadlyHalibut posted:

IMO Animal Crossing is a little less "gamey" then Stardew since it moves in real time and there's a little less direction and immediate goals, but it's definitely got some of that same cute & chill energy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Past Animal Crossings didn't have the resource or crafting system, and resource/crafting is about as videogamey as any mechanic that ever videogame'd. I already plan on having a second villager who exists just to store my crafting mats.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Past Animal Crossings didn't have the resource or crafting system, and resource/crafting is about as videogamey as any mechanic that ever videogame'd. I already plan on having a second villager who exists just to store my crafting mats.

That's a good point that I had kinda forgotten about.

I definitely think back to the Gamecube Animal Crossing where it was pretty easy to "run out" of things to do in a day - I don't feel like it's gonna be as much the case this time around.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Fair enough, we'll go in blind and enjoy the game to it's fullest

One major difference is it's realtime, so it's not a game you can force along like Stardew by going to bed to get to the next day immediately.

You can just change your system clock though if you wanna play it wrong

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

History Comes Inside! posted:

One major difference is it's realtime, so it's not a game you can force along like Stardew by going to bed to get to the next day immediately.

You can just change your system clock though if you wanna play it wrong

:thunk:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Oxyclean posted:

That's a good point that I had kinda forgotten about.

I definitely think back to the Gamecube Animal Crossing where it was pretty easy to "run out" of things to do in a day - I don't feel like it's gonna be as much the case this time around.

New Leaf had a bit of that too, kind of intended, though iirc after Welcome Amiibo it was a bit harder. Or maybe I was just more patient the second time around.

I'm guessing there'll probably be a limit to how much resources you can gather (and store) in a go, though hopefully they're not gonna make it too tedious. (aside from, well, the game being about killing time)

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

:unsmith:

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I need to think of a town name in the next week and a half because every time I buy an animal crossing game I turn it on and then it just sits idle for like 4 hours while I think of a name. :blush:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I do recall hearing some people say they were able to experience a fairly new file, a later file, and a much more developed file.

Also I turned on New Leaf trying to remember the last time I played and Phoebe was right in front of my house telling me I was gone for over 6 years. Oops.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

somnambulist posted:

I need to think of a town name in the next week and a half because every time I buy an animal crossing game I turn it on and then it just sits idle for like 4 hours while I think of a name. :blush:

I had a few names in mind, and then I found out about the 10-character limit. I was stuck for a few days until I settled on...

...BEEF. All caps. BEEF Isle. BEEF.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My New Leaf save is a mess. I started it in one relationship, we both animal'd the hell out of the crossing, we eventually broke up and I forgot my town for a while. Was dating someone else, they started getting into the gamecube or wii one and I was like ohh check out the 3DS one I also have it's even better... Cue them starting their own house and took to raiding the exes house, except obviously a starter house has way less room so there's basically just hundreds of furniture and clothes everywhere. At this point, cleaning out two villagers worth of exes literal baggage is more work than I'm willing to do for that town. Plus everyone cool moved away anyway.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

History Comes Inside! posted:

One major difference is it has personality

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

why am I not a raccoon goon yet

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
For anyone struggling to come up wit ha name, hate to pile on, but here are some lists of names to avoid if you don't want Mr. Resetti to chew you out about copyright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_islands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_name_(A)

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Khanstant posted:

My New Leaf save is a mess. I started it in one relationship, we both animal'd the hell out of the crossing, we eventually broke up and I forgot my town for a while. Was dating someone else, they started getting into the gamecube or wii one and I was like ohh check out the 3DS one I also have it's even better... Cue them starting their own house and took to raiding the exes house, except obviously a starter house has way less room so there's basically just hundreds of furniture and clothes everywhere. At this point, cleaning out two villagers worth of exes literal baggage is more work than I'm willing to do for that town. Plus everyone cool moved away anyway.

Games with customization can be pretty interesting time-capsules, and every Animal Crossing is no exception.

A collection of Street Passed homes in New Leaf over half a decade can show how fads change over time, how people change.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The new museum is so gorgeous, I can't believe it.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Khanstant posted:

For anyone struggling to come up wit ha name, hate to pile on, but here are some lists of names to avoid if you don't want Mr. Resetti to chew you out about copyright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_islands

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_islands_by_name_(A)

Not seeing Whore Island in this list, sadly.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I would also love to be (and am, in my heart) a Raccoon Goon.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

In celebration of living in Rhode Island the name for my island is pretty easy. Innsmouth

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/wheel_able/status/1236455783283462144?s=20

somnambulist posted:

If you can't come up with a name on your own you have to roll on this chart and accept what you get. That's the rule

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

https://twitter.com/wheel_able/status/1236455783283462144?s=20

If you can't come up with a name on your own you have to roll on this chart and accept what you get. That's the rule

I am, apparently, Furytoad Gruebuttock

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/_mehdigeek/status/1236466388497293318

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I can live with Claw Worm Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I usually go with Plum Island. Animal diseases and Silence reference is too hard to resist.