Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I also liked how La Brava recognized Deku from the Sports Festival and was like "this kid is loving crazy!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Does Nighteye remind people in this thread of their step-dad or something

Jesus

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jesus

a nihilistic nerd who likes children's cartoons

nighteye reminds them of themselves

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Gentle's a really good character because he can be both humorous and serious.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jesus

my step-dad strapped me to a tickle machine for hours

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Rhonne posted:

I also liked how La Brava recognized Deku from the Sports Festival and was like "this kid is loving crazy!"

That was a really good moment. Not that Deku is strong or talented or has a dangerous quirk. He's crazy and breaks his own arms.

That is Deku's public image after the sports festival.

"I am here," indeed.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Didn't help that he was giving them the old crazy eyes.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I'm glad people like Gentle. I loved this character when I read him in the manga but everyone seemed to think he was a dumb waste of time :(. But he's my kind of guy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Kawalimus posted:

I'm glad people like Gentle. I loved this character when I read him in the manga but everyone seemed to think he was a dumb waste of time :(. But he's my kind of guy.

idk who 'everyone' is but i remember the manga thread really enjoyed him when this arc was happening

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Brother Entropy posted:

idk who 'everyone' is but i remember the manga thread really enjoyed him when this arc was happening

I read it a while after it had come out. So maybe I just found a bad pocket of people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
"I'm sure you have feelings invested in this, but they can't win against my mustache and my soul."

:allears:

Technowolf posted:

I really like how this arc shows off how smart Deku can be.

He susses out who Gentle is in, what, 20 seconds from just hearing his voice once or twice.

The one time someone watches Gentle's channel!

Shwqa posted:

So far I have liked all the other villians why more than actual league of villians.

Edit: Also nighteye still sucks and is a stupid character.

I found Overhaul kind of mediocre, but his goons were pretty neat so I can agree with this.

The League of Villains gets better over time, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 7, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I like the League of Villains, though that might be mostly liking Toga and Twice more than anything. Definitely think they're more fun than Overhaul and crew.

But Gentle Criminal has that perfect "recurring Saturday morning cartoon villain" charm that's hard to beat. Really, having him after the very dark Overhaul arc really helps too; he feels like a great breath of fresh air after that, to match the light-hearted Cultural Festival setup. If this had been following another light arc of antics, training and friendship stuff he would probably feel a lot less fun, just from how toothless he ultimately is - he's not even planning anything nefarious, he only wants to hurt the heroes' pride. The low stakes make some great relief after an arc about child abuse.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
everyone in the manga thread here was delighted by Gentle (La Brava less so)

at first it was just because most were sick to death of Overhaul, but Gentle soon showed that he was great on his own merits

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Glad to get a sillier arc after doom and gloom for so long

To add to this, I like how there are real stakes to this villain succeeding, even as goofy and non threatening as he is

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

To add to this, I like how there are real stakes to this villain succeeding, even as goofy and non threatening as he is

Yeah even outside of the festival getting called off, if UA gets successfully invaded again after the police told them not to risk it then you can imagine there will be dire repercussions for the school.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
worse, it would make eri sad

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I loved this arc in the manga and Gentle is as great as I hoped he would be.

The bit with Deku holding up the beam is one of my favorite pages from the manga. I love how the line of motion of the airforce attack is helped by Deku literally reaching across the panels, showing him both aiming at and hitting Gentle all at once. Also, the situation he's in there is very Spiderman, at least that's what it reminds me of.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I doubt that scene is a reference to it, but this is an iconic Spider-Man scene with a similar beat.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

horikoshi has like a million spider-man and venom figures, it could very easily be an intentional homage

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Jesus

Goons go "lol you're a loser projecting" any time they see someone criticise something and it's really tiresome.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Flesnolk posted:

Goons go "lol you're a loser projecting" any time they see someone criticise something and it's really tiresome.

4 pages in a row about Nighteye is a little tiresome. Dude existed for 1 arc sucked and died, the end.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fat and Useless posted:

4 pages in a row about Nighteye is a little tiresome. Dude existed for 1 arc sucked and died, the end.

It would be great if that was all he did. His quirk really muddles up the time because "all might is going to die against a villian". I have no doubt that is coming back.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

all might did die against a villain but toshinori survived

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All Might will survive and live to be 100 years old and Nighteye will again eat poo poo in hell.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

worse, it would make eri sad

This

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Brother Entropy posted:

all might did die against a villain but toshinori survived

Well no. Everyone still calls him All Might including himself. He even said he is still All Might.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

All Might will survive and live to be 100 years old and Nighteye will again eat poo poo in hell.

I mean, All Might living a long, happy life is exactly what Nighteye wants, so you'd just be making him happier.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

Eat my rear end there were 3 loving pages before someone dared to go against the grain

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Flesnolk posted:

I'm sorry you want to beat up a fictional dead dude so much

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I hadn't said a word about it but go off I guess.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Shyrka posted:

That was a really good moment. Not that Deku is strong or talented or has a dangerous quirk. He's crazy and breaks his own arms.

That is Deku's public image after the sports festival.

"I am here," indeed.

Not just that he's crazy and breaks his own arms, but that he did it to win a fight at a high school field day. Not in some crazy desperate bid to save a bus full of puppies about to get brutally murdered, but to win an exhibition match. By dumping barely controlled OfA powered blasts at his own classmates. The world doesn't know he couldn't control his powers. To the world, that was still a restrained attack while shattering his arms in the process because these are his friends and classmates, so what can he do actually going all out?

Deku is loving nuts in the eyes of the world at large.

pointlessone fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 8, 2020

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Flesnolk posted:

I hadn't said a word about it but go off I guess.

Flesnolk posted:

"Better things aren't possible."
- Nighteye

Quirk: Disingenuity

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Shwqa posted:

It would be great if that was all he did. His quirk really muddles up the time because "all might is going to die against a villian". I have no doubt that is coming back.

The entire loving point of the arc was that his prophecies can and have failed.

Let it go, the anime definitely has.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
quirks are completely magic, these heroes might as well be wizards with how insane quirks are. Don't think about it too hard

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zzulu posted:

quirks are completely magic, these heroes might as well be wizards with how insane quirks are. Don't think about it too hard

I mean, Eri is basically a My Little Pony character who got lost

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Zzulu posted:

But unlike Fairy Tail, this show is good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Technowolf posted:

I mean, Eri is basically a My Little Pony character who got lost

I'd believe you if she had a horse head.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That is a shockingly good power for such a goofy dude. Gentle Criminal rules.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

That is a shockingly good power for such a goofy dude. Gentle Criminal rules.

Gentle Criminal's quirk is the most Jojo power and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Gentle on the steel beam was probably one of the most surreal scenes the anime has produced

Mostly due to how it just kept going