Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao ian austin

https://twitter.com/MainstreamUk/status/1236593685690712064?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

OMG - you have read that book (ed: Way of Wyrd Brian Bates)? I read it about 30 years ago. A friend and I were really into the band Skyclad (he more than me) and that's how we got into that book.
Doing the Widdershins Jig in a huge circle at the former Astoria in Charing Cross Road was something else :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsbXsOWQ68k
That's the one. Bates is still about but I've not read any of his later stuff (academic or new agey).

Guavanaut posted:

Silent disco but for speeches would be a great idea. You could have multiple different speakers on at the same time, and one channel for music.

..and you could all stay home and listen to your chosen channel. Wait, I think you just reinvented radio.
Swap out a boombox for all those headphones imo - any attempt to silence it falls foul of their own "no stifling free speech" entitlement.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pussy Riot definitely should have a platform.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why does the monarchy need to be replaced with an elected head of state?

Like we could scrap the monarchy and have the President of the Privy Council be head of state. That would be JRM at present, but they'd only be exercising a limited set of powers anyway.

Or just have no formal head of state, like Switzerland.

It doesn't need to be a binary choice between a US style executive president (which is what most of the public is thinking when they hear 'elected head of state') and a monarch.

EmptyVessel posted:

..and you could all stay home and listen to your chosen channel. Wait, I think you just reinvented radio.
And instead of discussing what we heard with our friends/classmates afterwards we could all just shout about it on twitter.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
MainstreamUk's Twitter account entirely consists of attacks on Labour and Jeremy Corbyn lol

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

And instead of discussing what we heard with our friends/classmates afterwards we could all just shout about it on twitter.

Hard pass.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Guavanaut posted:

Silent disco but for speeches would be a great idea. You could have multiple different speakers on at the same time, and one channel for music.

I want to link to the zombie dance party in Daybreakers, but it looks like Netflix has deleted all copies off YouTube. Everyone just wearing headphones and raving away silently.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

RockyB posted:

I want to link to the zombie dance party in Daybreakers, but it looks like Netflix has deleted all copies off YouTube. Everyone just wearing headphones and raving away silently.

I am so glad someone other than me remembers Daybreakers. Goddamn what a mess of a movie,but it was so much fun. Even when it goes all Benny Hill at the end.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

MainstreamUk's Twitter account entirely consists of attacks on Labour and Jeremy Corbyn lol

its run by ian austin

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I am so glad someone other than me remembers Daybreakers. Goddamn what a mess of a movie,but it was so much fun. Even when it goes all Benny Hill at the end.

Nah they're talking about the Netflix series, zombies rather than vampires lol

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Wait I was thinking of the zoomer zombie comedy series Daybreak https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P9U41e75tE

(The series that finally made me feel old and out of touch with youth culture)

Daybreakers was also a good movie though, I might actually go watch it right now.

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCBbxYVx8xQ

quote:

Fun fact about this girl: she is revealed through promotional material to be Patient Zero, committing suicide over the heavy guilt of starting a global outbreak that turns people into bloodthirsty killers.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 8, 2020

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

OwlFancier posted:

Pussy Riot definitely should have a platform.

Too extreme, theyd have to book their sensible centrist equivalent, Vagina Change.Org Petition.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Apropos of absolutely nothing and weeks late to the party, but it feels like I'm the first person to notice that the government describing completed things as "oven ready" is a massive non-sequitur.
Oven ready means it still needs to be cooked.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Endjinneer posted:

Apropos of absolutely nothing and weeks late to the party, but it feels like I'm the first person to notice that the government describing completed things as "oven ready" is a massive non-sequitur.
Oven ready means it still needs to be cooked.

Well at least they can't be accused of lying about saying things are finished

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oven ready level ups.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

The thought of hordes of boomers sitting atop thrones of Andrex and clutching their pearls in fear of the flu is extremely funny to me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unquiet is the arse that sits upon the bogroll throne, fortunately the problem is self resolving.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

thespaceinvader posted:

I will be wearing gloves whenever I'm outside.

But between cold temperatures and hayfever not touching my face is essentially impossible :(

forget all the protective measures and submit yourselves to the blessings of father nurgle

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

is this good

https://twitter.com/OilSheppard/status/1236774656721510402?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who are they trying to annoy with that one?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Usually Iran or Russia.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

MBS is a huge failson who is also a dictator its interesting to watch for sure if not good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

check out this excellent dog

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1236779732609503232?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nice of crufts to broadcast a dog making GBS threads on live television.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Yeah, so for those in here who don't follow the doomsday economics thread tomorrow is looking very, very bad. We might be looking at another black monday situation.

Or maybe not! Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent, etc.

(I moved all of my pensions into cash before Christmas).

E:

Oh hey, it's like going to the dog racing. Always bet on the greyhound that takes a massive dump while on parade, he's getting rid of excess weight.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 8, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

One of the nice things about having no money or pension or anything is that when the market explodes it mostly ruins other people :v:

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

RockyB posted:

Yeah, so for those in here who don't follow the doomsday economics thread tomorrow is looking very, very bad. We might be looking at another black monday situation.

Or maybe not! Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent, etc.

(I moved all of my pensions into cash before Christmas).

Smart move. I thought about it and then :efforted: out of an unwillingness to try and second guess the markets. Are they supposed to have priced in doomsday coronovirus scenarios at this point?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

RockyB posted:

:swoon:

OwlFancier posted:

One of the nice things about having no money or pension or anything is that when the market explodes it mostly ruins other people :v:

Yeah if my bank collapses outright I stand to lose what meager 'savings' (lmao) I've scrimped together over the last few years but if one of the Big Four goes down that hard it hardly matters because we're obviously moving into the next phase of the collapse of civilization anyway :black101:

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

So, poo poo is gonna get extra hosed for "the market"?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is "Wee dye" a reference to those little tins of model paint, or is it a woodcut kerning error and it should be "Weed ye" :420:?

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Okay I just double checked, the financial services compensation scheme covers 'small company' bank accounts up to £85,000, same as it covers personal bank accounts. No need to desperately take extra dividends from the company I haven't quite shut down tonight.

p.s. that means anyone in this thread who isn't directly exposed to the stock market is probably only hosed in terms of businesses dying, losing jobs etc. Not losing savings.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think there's a public order that says I'm not allowed to be directly exposed to the stock market. :dong:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

RockyB posted:

Okay I just double checked, the financial services compensation scheme covers 'small company' bank accounts up to £85,000, same as it covers personal bank accounts. No need to desperately take extra dividends from the company I haven't quite shut down tonight.

p.s. that means anyone in this thread who isn't directly exposed to the stock market is probably only hosed in terms of businesses dying, losing jobs etc. Not losing savings.

I was going to mention that unless you're a right moneybags your account should be covered by the compensation. And if that's not being paid out you should have put your savings into more bog roll and as many pop rivets as you can stick into your leather jacket.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just lmao at mbs tanking the global economy while coronavirus is a thing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think if all the major banks go down that means I own my house outright. Or at least means that whichever credit institution takes the debt can

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just one of the founders of the ehrc

https://twitter.com/BWhytelaw/status/1236783877550718978?s=19

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

I mean if it really does all go to poo poo I know that I can wander on to the local aerodrome and make off with one of the PA-28s (which generally have the key chained to the dashboard) pretty easy soo...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jose posted:

Cheap fuel helps the global economy doesn't it? It fucks shale gas companies though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if communism bitch has finally claimed regency over his castle after all his co workers died of coronavirus and is now living the high life with the duchess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jose posted:

He thinks that because he can gently caress around and kill a journalist he can get away with causing the wealthy to lose trillions.

he's gonna find out, lmao