Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, how strange that people would discuss which parts of games they like???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
DQ3 down. On to 4. Decided to get the android version because it is apparently the best one. And I can potentially sell my sealed DS copy. So that works out pretty well.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Also to clarify cause some people misunderstand this. It's episodic in the sense that the story is split across multiple games. Each episode is reportedly a full size rpg with boatloads of side content as is standard for Final Fantasy games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

The discussion of FF has evolved past which games are good to which parts of one game are good

i like the first third in this post and the second is okay, but i gotta admit i was kinda lost by the end. hopefully the new translation improves things

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat linkle liver story for the sega saturn

you can sure, uh, tell that they got the artists and writer of crusader of centy back for that game, and literally nobody else, because man that game is a chore to play. also kind of... is less well-written than centy. feels more like a bundle of interesting story ideas than an actual coherent plot with memorable characters, a lot of them have less going on than some of the rando side npcs in crusader of centy did and none of the stuff about nightmare dream monsters vs reality actually feels like it, was explored in a way that made it different from generic dark monster guys. also gently caress that weapons system it's built in like the most deliberately obtuse way without really having any benefit

so far my ranking of sega console action rpgs i've beaten goes

napple tale
dark savior
monster world iv (dunno if this counts under action rpg or just platformer but im putting it here)
crusader of centy
linkle liver story

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 8, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So after getting FF7 set up on Steam, and playing through the opening, I played the Final Fantasy 7 Remake demo. It was...pretty good!

Some things I noted:

• They did a pretty good job of replicating the areas of the reactor you run through, while also adding in new areas that link each area together (not sure why a reactor has a ticket booth, though). I do miss the more grungy look of the original though.
  • In connection, the demo overall feels like it runs a lot longer than the opening of the original does. Encounters in the original are over pretty fast, since most of the enemies take one or two hits. Here, the enemies take a lot hits.
  • Combat feels pretty good, but I don't know if I just didn't grasp it that well, or if there's an issue with how it flows (I was playing on Normal difficulty). As Cloud, I ended up taking a lot of damage, and burned through a lot of the potions I collected. As Barrett, one small issue I had is that when you first gain control of him, hitting those turrets up above was a little awkward because the camera doesn't rotate all the way up to show them in full view (you can only see the bottom half).
  • The boss fight against the Guard Scorpion is where I had the most trouble. The fight itself wasn't hard, but I felt like I was supposed to have done it faster. The game says to hit it with lightning magic and hit the thing on the back to destroy the shield, but the lightning magic didn't seem to work sometimes, and getting behind it to hit the shielding device felt awkward. The fight was where I burned through most of my potions (mostly for Cloud). My strategy was to try to get into close range and beat the boss in Punisher Mode, but I get the feeling you're supposed to spend more time blocking and dodging. I think my issue is that I was trying to rush it because of the timer, but obviously the timer doesn't start until after you beat the boss.
  • I probably missed this during the tutorial message, but I realized when fighting the slashing guys during the escape, blocking at the last moment will counter attack.
  • I wish that you could switch from Operator to Punisher during a combo, because the ideal method of attack seems to be to close the distance with Operator, than immediately switch to Punisher to deal damage fast. One annoyance I have is that ATB won't let you use potions unless you have a bar, but I suppose the original game is like that. I guess maybe in the remake demo, it came across like you just need ATB to do the special moves.
  • Story/Writing-wise, they translate the little spats between Cloud and Barrett pretty well (highlight was the bit with Barrett making the joke with rank and age). I'm still disappointed that they didn't bring Steve Burton back to play Cloud, but the new voice actors fine. Dunno if Biggs, Wedge, and Jesse are fleshed out better here or in the original. One thing I took note of while playing the opening of the original last night is how the characters physically emote a lot. which adds a lot.
  • I don't know if this is just me being dense or what, but in the cutscene where Heidegger and President Shinra have the bots start shooting up the plant after the bomb goes off, I wasn't sure if that was implied that the bomb failed and they were making it look like it had worked, or if they were causing additional damage to try and kill AVALANCHE by bringing the plant down faster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
They replaced all the VA's (just for the remake) because they want to get it through the dumb western brains that this is a different FF7 in many ways.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

• The boss fight against the Guard Scorpion is where I had the most trouble. The fight itself wasn't hard, but I felt like I was supposed to have done it faster. The game says to hit it with lightning magic and hit the thing on the back to destroy the shield, but the lightning magic didn't seem to work sometimes, and getting behind it to hit the shielding device felt awkward. The fight was where I burned through most of my potions (mostly for Cloud). My strategy was to try to get into close range and beat the boss in Punisher Mode, but I get the feeling you're supposed to spend more time blocking and dodging. I think my issue is that I was trying to rush it because of the timer, but obviously the timer doesn't start until after you beat the boss.
  • I probably missed this during the tutorial message, but I realized when fighting the slashing guys during the escape, blocking at the last moment will counter attack.
  • I wish that you could switch from Operator to Punisher during a combo, because the ideal method of attack seems to be to close the distance with Operator, than immediately switch to Punisher to deal damage fast. One annoyance I have is that ATB won't let you use potions unless you have a bar, but I suppose the original game is like that. I guess maybe in the remake demo, it came across like you just need ATB to do the special moves.
  • I don't know if this is just me being dense or what, but in the cutscene where Heidegger and President Shinra have the bots start shooting up the plant after the bomb goes off, I wasn't sure if that was implied that the bomb failed and they were making it look like it had worked, or if they were causing additional damage to try and kill AVALANCHE by bringing the plant down faster.
[*] It's immune to lightning magic while the shield's up. The roll can help you circle the boss, but if you're getting locked-on, that character is going to be the target of a follow-up attacks for a while, so at that point it might be better to swap to the other character for some uninterrrupted hits. (It's not immune to Fire while the shield's up, though, so Cloud can break the shield generator in a few quick casts once he's behind.)
[*] Any melee-coded attack that you block while in Punisher is counter-attacked, you don't have to time it perfectly - however, if you hit the button to SWAP to Punisher from Operator as you're about to be hit, you'll automatically parry during your transition.
[*] It's a flow. You can at least easily break from Punisher to Operator with the dodge roll.
[*] The scene is meaning to show the bomb's damage was not anywhere near news-worthy even if it didn't fail. Going just from the original story, Shinra is perfectly down with turning AVALANCHE into scapegoats, but that tactic's much more effective if your terrorists are responsible for massive destruction than if they simply force some annoying minor repairs that wouldn't make front page news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3U8jfJnkfw
You can see some of that in this quick kill video, Cloud counter-attacks the Electrostomp starting from Operator mode.

As for the ticket booth, you can see the train line map and it's just one station on the loop. The actual reactor is through an off-limits area that AVALANCHE has to hack through but presumably there's Midgar working stiffs who might use the station itself for normal reasons.

40-Degree Day
Sep 24, 2012

Any cool rear end PS3 exclusive RPGs to check out? Or maybe just cool PS3/360 era RPGs in general?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Resonance of Fate

Folklore

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Resonance of Fate

Folklore

Resonance of Fate isn't PS3 exclusive. You can even get it on PC now.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

40-Degree Day posted:

Any cool rear end PS3 exclusive RPGs to check out? Or maybe just cool PS3/360 era RPGs in general?

Lost Odyssey. It was 360 exclusive.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pretty sure the Xillia games are still on last gen.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Wait... ff7 remake isn’t turned based?

Mokinokaro posted:

Lost Odyssey. It was 360 exclusive.

+1 this is really an amazing and special game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hanales posted:

Friend, how have you made it this far into this thread to only learn this now

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
GUYS HOLY poo poo

THe FF7 Remake is only part 1 of series and only covers a now expanded midgar with much more in depth exploration and story telling? Available soon on PS4? No way!

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Was Star Ocean First Departure R any good? I bounced off the SNES version years and years ago and haven't really given the game a look since.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Was Star Ocean First Departure R any good? I bounced off the SNES version years and years ago and haven't really given the game a look since.

Its still Star Ocean, so its not going to change your opinions.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm very bad at Ys8 raids on Hard. Something will tag me from offscreen or I'll do a charging attack into something and so many points lost.

e: Also I feel a bit salty that the other team always gets an S. Of course they do, they have like fifteen people!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

star ocean has never been good

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Endorph posted:

what about the time claude and ashton share the giant couples parfait and it raises their Romantic counter but not their Friendship counter

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Pretty sure the Xillia games are still on last gen.

Graces F as well. It's not going to win anything for the plot writing but the cast is fun and the battle system is still the best Tales one imo and it's a crime it hasn't been revisited.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Stelas posted:

e: Also I feel a bit salty that the other team always gets an S. Of course they do, they have like fifteen people!

the parrot is carrying them all tbh

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

GUYS HOLY poo poo

THe FF7 Remake is only part 1 of series and only covers a now expanded midgar with much more in depth exploration and story telling? Available soon on PS4? No way!

I bet it'll suck.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Endorph posted:

This is true, but Cliff is one of the few dudes in an RPG to rock the super tight jeans look and pull it off. That in itself is a minor miracle.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Endorph posted:

Wow

Star ocean 2 is good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Overbite posted:

Wow

Star ocean 2 is good.

No endorph is right

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I liked the FF7 demo. Battles were a little chaotic, but I think that's good, judging by some of the videos, it's something you can really start to internalize and get better at.

I wasn't, like, a huge fan of FF7, but enjoyed it, and it's pretty cool seeing these environments realized in a fully connected 3d space. Approaching the massive yellow/black door to the reactor and remembering what it looks like on the grainy PS1 background is cool, but being able to then turn around and see the dominating presence of Shinra HQ in the background was a neat moment. I'm sure there are people who have played this demo dozens of times, and have just soaked in every single bit of experience from it.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Star Ocean is good for two and a half games and then it's bad.

Star Ocean R is good if you liked SO2 and probably not going to be your cup of tea otherwise.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
The plot twist in Star Ocean 3 is one of my most memorable gaming experiences

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Morpheus posted:

I liked the FF7 demo. Battles were a little chaotic, but I think that's good, judging by some of the videos, it's something you can really start to internalize and get better at.

I wasn't, like, a huge fan of FF7, but enjoyed it, and it's pretty cool seeing these environments realized in a fully connected 3d space. Approaching the massive yellow/black door to the reactor and remembering what it looks like on the grainy PS1 background is cool, but being able to then turn around and see the dominating presence of Shinra HQ in the background was a neat moment. I'm sure there are people who have played this demo dozens of times, and have just soaked in every single bit of experience from it.

The gameplay is so loving good in the demo and I cannot wait to see it expanded on. You're gonna be able to do some real combos.

It's everything FF15s combat should have been.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

hanales posted:

FF7 wasn't turn based to begin with!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

FF7 wasn't turn based to begin with!

Technically it is if you use the Pause mode, or whatever it was called. I absolutely did, because getting smacked with attacks while you're just scrolling to find the right item in your inventory is not my idea of fun.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sure but my larger point is that it seems extremely weird to expect turn-based battle systems from this series. I-III and then X are the only "real" turn-based ones and experimentation with various types of more active battle system is pretty much the series trademark.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
For turn-based they should make another FFT(A) or at least put WOTL and/or A2 on Switch.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

FF7 remake has a turn-based other option

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
star ocean is a series with fun ideas that are always heavily offset by extremely dull and badly paced writing

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ATB is the most turnbased since it means you have to sit and literally "wait your turn" in realtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ATB is so loving bad.