Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Once again, I only find your LP as it's ending... well, looking forward to catching up, anyway!

We’re not at the end yet. You've got at least a month to catch up before we hit ending territory. The story turned out to be heavily front loaded, so we've been dicking around with filler content for the past 3 or 4 dungeons and that filler content will continue for probably another 3 or 4 dungeons.

If you want to catch up on story, then stick to main updates from Offering 1 to Offering 3/4 and the Special Bonding updates that introduce Alfie. At that point you will know all the story content the rest of the thread is privvy to. After that, Bonding Updates are the biggest thing. Everything else is silly filler.

Polsy posted:

Sounds fine to me. I wouldn't waste your hard-earned Polyoshka, in any case.

I don’t think it's possible to waste it. I still don't know if it even does anything. I hate not knowing that.

The Flying Twybil posted:

Edit: And yes, I'm still thinking about my vote. I will think about this far too long, especially given I'm only going to make a miniscule contribution to the polls.

Don’t worry about what your vote will or won't contribute. Just vote for who you like best.

Depending on the length of the endings, I may decide to give a full ending to the 5 or 6 highest polling Maidens instead of a summary. The top voted will still be the canon ending and show up at the LP's ending, but I might quickly show some of the others in a bonus update.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Wow. You've put more thought into creating this character than I did whenever I posted :v:. No changes necessary.

I thought my thinking was a stretch. Some were easier than others to find a connection for. That’s why I wanted to give those posters a chance to tweak their namesake Star Child.

Slaan was especially bad. I stretched far to come up with a justification for that.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Last bit of Astro-rambling. This time, its Zodiac Signs in love.

With each sign regarding love, here’s a one-word summary for what the twelve signs - minus Ophiuchus - have in common. Fire Signs is passion; Water Signs is emotion; Earth Sign is physical; Air signs is mental.

Aries/Arie - They follow whatever Impulse that comes to mind with a singular determination; and they’re not afraid of letting others know that. With that in mind, it’s a no-brainer what an Aries in love would be like. For one, the gift the Ram is most likely to give to their partner is themselves; they’ll put their heart on a platter, and be eager to give and take. The biggest roadblock is stamina; not for the Aries, but for the partner who might get overwhelmed by the amount of focus the Zodiac is giving them.

That has been Arie for her arc when she started acting on her Impulses, and especially when her mouth says things her brain hadn’t caught..

Taurus/Tarua - Something that should be noted about the Bull in love is that they prefer to be the one being chased rather than doing the chasing. For one, Taurus doesn’t like putting themselves out there for anything; they are very serious and don't know what to do when they’re pointed towards something they’re unfamiliar with. This is how the Zodiac can be really bad about responding to change; they run in the opposite direction if they think they can. Put all that together and the Bull in love is like staring into an abyss of uncertainty waiting to see if it stares right back.

Another thing to be mindful about Taurus is that once they commit, they really commit; they’re long-term relationship havers and don’t do anything halfway; they will not say no to their partner, which can be a problem if it affects the Bull’s well-being. Loyalty is one of the big words for describing a relationship with a Taurus. Luxurious is another word as the Sign is drawn towards pleasurable things; and they want to share those things they enjoy with their partner. Think a day at the spa, or a lazy cuddle in bed.

Tarua got the ‘bad at new things’ part down pat - see her run away from things, literally and figuratively - but it wasn’t as if we got the other facets of the Bull in love; Femiruna got the luxurious part in parts of her story, and Mahiru got the in-for-a-penny mindset in her relationship with Itsuki. Unfortunately, the writers really didn’t show anything else with her beyond the *ugh* ...running gag.

Gemini/Twins - Gemini is the opposite of Taurus in that respect; they are not afraid of making their feelings public, but commitment is a challenge. Unlike Aries this Zodiac has trouble recognizing love in themselves or others; love is a four letter word. The better thing to focus on is the ideal partner, and to Gemini that is someone who would constantly engage them; stability and routine tire them out and then they go running off with your clothes over the horizon. One could even go far as to say that Gemini loves the chase more than the object of their affections. Then again, the Zodiac has trouble grounding themselves, like the other Air Signs; it’s as likely that Gemini cannot distinguish being in love and ‘playing the game,’ so to speak.

With the Twins, the lack of grounding shows up again and again with how different the two personalities are, and the rules in place between them. The idea of both being settled in a relationship would demand a lot more spontaneity from Itsuki, if only to keep Lillie from getting bored. I dunno if they’re gonna start competing for time with him, or if both of them are gonna be tired of this thing and run off. Very little about the Twins’ arc seems resolved and things could easily shift when something new happens. In other words, it’s Gemini to a T.

Cancer/Ruka - I’ve talked about how Cancer is like an aspiring mother in how doting and sensitive they can act around others. It actually makes falling in love difficult for them as they seek someone they can trust, someone familiar. Much like Taurus, they too commit long-term, but while the Bull has problems with making their feelings known, Cancer doesn’t want to pick someone that’ll falter or snap. They can have infatuations, but again, picking out a partner for life is serious business, and they don’t want to have their heart broken. And of course, they cling; being with their loved one is serious business.

Ruka is so much a Cancer that it hurts, from her emotions, to her instincts, to her insecurities about letting them out.

Leo/Femiruna - Much like Leo’s want to be the center of the universe, they also want their love life to play out like a movie. They see drama, action, and well, Romance with a capital R, and consider that part of the package with being in love. If there ain’t drama, the Leo won’t have it. Fortunately a Leo can attract someone by sheer force of personality, and see what they can do. And the Zodiac will reciprocate; Leo may be the audience, but that doesn’t mean it’s one-way. Of course, not everyone sees love the way the Zodiac does; sometimes being put on a pedestal with your ideal lover, and hundreds of admirers ogling at you isn’t the most rewarding thing you could be doing.

Femiruna certainly has the want for drama and pageantry, though aspects seem curiously walled off, unless you count Itsuki offering to take her to earth. I think now that her ‘masochism’ may just be a Leo tactic, reverse roles as a way to show affection, but it’s a roundabout way of doing that. In summary, she’s an awkward fit for Leo despite the elements of her character fitting the stereotype.

Virgo/Mahiru - Something that we’ve seen in Mahiru is a constant tut-tutting of Itsuki, which is itself a Virgo stereotype, especially in love. They have high standards, though like Taurus they’d like to commit to the right person for the long term. This creates someone who will flirt back, but will always be on the lookout to see if you may in fact be ‘the one.’It makes Mahiru’s interest in Itsuki as a ‘backup’ just plain weird, and might say something about either her own standards, or Itsuki as a person, of if she just saw potential. Virgos have a habit of being in love with someone on the grounds that they could change them into something better.

Brief tangent aside, she’s almost a walking stereotype of the Virgin; the only exception is her being a ‘school idol.’ The standard Virgo doesn’t like attention and prefers to stay in the background, building someone else up while finding some way to benefit from them.

Libra - Try to imagine Gemini knowing when they’re in love, and you’ve got a starting point for the Scales. They’re not afraid of pursuing someone or being pursued, but while Gemini might refuse someone because they’re bored, Libra’s on the lookout for ‘the one’ and may hold off from committing. And it isn’t an excuse; this Zodiac wants to find their one true love and is willing to wait till they find them. The moment they do is when they commit, which leads to an issue other signs may need to confront.

Libras in a relationship can find themselves codependent, defining themselves by their relationship and not by who they are. After being neutral and deliberating for so long on their lonesome, it’s tempting for the Scales to lie back and have their partner do the thinking instead. Part of it comes from preconceptions of love and romance; part of it is also their tendency to get indecisive when they’re trying to be fair and balanced to others, and said partner.

I… can’t find that in Mirei, and I can only find a smidgen of that in Collette. As unsettling as the latter is for her age and personality, she’s acting the part of a Libra, or at least a Gemini in love; always be talking. And that’s all I will disclose on that.

Scorpio/Reone - Again taking the time to mention to stop stereotyping Scorpios as sex-obsessed. People who do that miss the point of why people refer to Scorpio as ‘the sex sign’ in the first place. If there’s anything you learn from my astro-rambling it’s that Scorpios use read and speak emotions like a language. It’s how you get people who can be from one extreme to another with no cognitive dissonance. Scorpio doesn’t see being devoted to family and infatuated with someone as mutually exclusive.

Something I haven’t talked about is how their reading between the lines can make them a private person when it comes to love; much time is spent on how to make that happen, and with whom. They do want a long term partner, and they’re a tad surprised when someone throws themselves out there for this Zodiac. Of course the moment that other person cracks or doesn’t read the Scorpio’s messages gets readily dismissed.

Reone is a stereotype. Facets of the usual emotional intensity and secrecy, are there from start to finish, but the writers fall back to the stereotype to distract us from Reone herself.

Sagittarius/Sue - Like every other Fire Sign, they have passions but compared to Aries and Leo, these urges aren’t as all-consuming; sometimes they’re just trapped in ideas. Try to imagine wanting to do things with your partner, physical, emotional, or otherwise, along with trying to frame them as something cleansing, enlightening, or just whimsical. The other thing about Sag passion is that it’s not constant; Aries and Leo may burn like the brightest star or forever respectively, but Sag may die down, and the sign is left looking over the relationship they’re trying to cultivate. They can suffer a little from what can blind Virgo - looking at someone for their potential - though not as badly, nor with that sign’s high standards. Usually, those signs need to reexamine their passions so that they don’t try igniting them on ashes.

Sue seems to have gone in reverse as a Sag in love, going from contemplative and shy at first to whimsical and playful at the last.

Capricorn/Farun - When a Cap is in love, they’ll want you to notice how often they’re in your presence. Then show dedication to you; then say they love you. Like the other Earth Signs, Cap wants to commit, but they aren’t as choosy over who they pursue; it’s easy for them to fall in love if they know that person for a long time. When they’re in a relationship, they can act out of character for their partner; you get the Zodiac sign unfiltered without any omissions on their end. You also get someone who will move mountains to make this relationship work, on top of every other ambition they’re carrying out now.

I’m surprised that they didn’t try making new Mahiru a Capricorn and treat the childhood marriage crush as looking beyond her ‘character.’ As it stands, Farun is obnoxiously a Cap, almost bringing up the character she’s supposed to play, and dropping later on, in her conversations.

Aquarius - The sign is a wildcard when they’re in love; you have the interest in connecting on a cognitive level, but Aquarius is locked up in its head and needs to be coaxed out of it. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, the sign has a strident idealism, but they don’t know how to express it. Connection matters to this sign; how long or short that connection lasts, or how that connection takes form is secondary.

The writers don’t know what they’re trying to impart; Granvania is a terrible place to live; I say Mirei is more suited as an Aquarius than a Libra; all these statements are true statements. Much of her arc had been spent trying to pull her out of her head and getting her to express what’s on her mind. Even the nature of her falling in love was out of context - unless Classmating really does alter a person’s psyche. Collette meanwhile doesn't seem to have such preconceptions, barring her bread fixation.

Pisces/Yuzuha - Compared to the other Water Signs, Pisces loves them some Drama and Capital R Romance (excuse the pun), but real life gets in the way with that. And considering Pisces is as locked up in their own heads as Aquarius is, there exists the real possibility of the Fish loving an idea of that partner, rather than the partner themselves. They can hop from one partner to another if they see something in someone else that’s enticing; sometimes they alternate depending on what sets the Fish’s mind ablaze.

We get the one foot in a dream feeling from Yuzuha, and if you squint you can see the want for drama; if she likes Itsuki knowing how precarious her life is, then that’s textbook Pisces Romance. It just makes her uncomfortable to be around.

Ophiuchus/Alfie - I’ve mentioned that this Zodiac buys into a personal narrative right? When that narrative involves someone the Serpent Bearer loves, where do they fit in? Where does Ophiuchus fit in? What would it mean for both of them?

All these questions, and more buzz in Ophiuchus’ head on the subject of love and romance. They’re idealists and love to find meaning in their lives. If it turns out they love someone, they’ll gravitate towards that person and plumb their depths for that meaning whatever it may be.

If this sounds vague or familiar with Alfie, remember that we really don’t have that much to work with for the sign, and you must take whatever I say, and what you may find, with a grain of salt.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Psycho Knight posted:

Don’t worry about what your vote will or won't contribute. Just vote for who you like best.

Depending on the length of the endings, I may decide to give a full ending to the 5 or 6 highest polling Maidens instead of a summary. The top voted will still be the canon ending and show up at the LP's ending, but I might quickly show some of the others in a bonus update.

I'd vote on who I like but I really just have a tier list with two sections: "Who really bothers me" and "the ones that I'm mostly fine with." Out of the ones I can tolerate, they're all tied for lack of a specific thing that sets them just ahead of the others. Then I find myself thinking about how their route will end and if it'll be a good ending, and etc.

If I was worried about how much my vote matters numerically, I should probably choose between Alfie or Arie. They've been neck and neck, and remain far ahead of the others. I know what my reservations for Alfie are for the most part, but as to what bugs me about Arie I can't really figure out.

I still don't know why I'm putting that much thought in this, really. Maybe I'll just wait for the other seasonal events to see if they swing my opinion any.

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Last bit of Astro-rambling. This time, its Zodiac Signs in love.

I don't remember if you've mentioned it before, but where do you compile this information from? I've never put much stock in Zodiac Signs, but they've made an interesting read in regards to this game. I might try this information on some other games to see if it lines up with any characters, just for fun.

The Flying Twybil fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Mar 5, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I… can’t find that in Mirei, and I can only find a smidgen of that in Collette. As unsettling as the latter is for her age and personality, she’s acting the part of a Libra, or at least a Gemini in love; always be talking. And that’s all I will disclose on that.

Even the nature of her falling in love was out of context - unless Classmating really does alter a person’s psyche. Collette meanwhile doesn't seem to have such preconceptions, barring her bread fixation.

I think Terasawa said in an interview that the personalities were based off of his own understanding of the astrological signs. I'm not sure if he had complete control over the characterizations, but if he had a lot of input then the weirdness between Mirei and Colette may be because he mixed those two signs up (or simply misunderstood those two signs entirely).

Basically, it may have just been an honest mistake. An honest mistake that could have been caught if SC had put anyone in charge of proofreading (including Terasawa himself).

Honestly, when you first started doing this I didn't think any if these characters would match up with their sign at all (this was before I knew that the director actually did try to match them). But now that the others seem fairly well matched, it really stands out to see just how wildly different Mirei is from Libra. This is one of the thing I wish I could ask someone on the writing team (or Terasawa especially).

I'd vote on who I like but I really just have a tier list with two sections: "Who really bothers me" and "the ones that I'm mostly fine with." Out of the ones I can tolerate, they're all tied for lack of a specific thing that sets them just ahead of the others. Then I find myself thinking about how their route will end and if it'll be a good ending, and etc.

If I was worried about how much my vote matters numerically, I should probably choose between Alfie or Arie. They've been neck and neck, and remain far ahead of the others. I know what my reservations for Alfie are for the most part, but as to what bugs me about Arie I can't really figure out.

I still don't know why I'm putting that much thought in this, really. Maybe I'll just wait for the other seasonal events to see if they swing my opinion any.

Fair enough. There's plenty of time to vote anyway. Like you said, there are some seasonal events that might make some characters look better or worse and tip the scale. I haven't voted yet either, although I'm slightly more certain than you as to who it will be for.

As for Alfie and Arie being neck and neck, it's a little hard to tell if that will hold true or not as we get in to April/the final updates. I haven't seen any votes for Farun yet, and I was sure that she had a fairly decent amount of support, especially from the last few updates. Could be that people are waiting things out since there isn't a rush. There could be a shakeup once we enter the final week of voting. Who knows.

That said, I probably should add something to the vote post that mentions doing full endings for the Top 5 or 6 in a bonus update. Might make people more likely to vote for who they want instead of looking at the current results and just picking a bandwagon.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Psycho Knight posted:

Notes: Male Magic Knight with Reone as mother. Closest I could get to Raitzeno's Roy avatar.

Works for me. Alternatively, if you want a thief/ninja of some sort and don't have one, I usually use Raitzeno as the name for those types of characters in MMOs. (My Discord avatar is an edit of Matthew instead. :V ...Speaking of which, it's Eliwood, not that their combat sprites are really very distinguishable.)

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Raitzeno posted:

...Speaking of which, it's Eliwood, not that their combat sprites are really very distinguishable.)

I don't mean to be pedantic or contrary, but your avatar is most definitely Roy. I'd argue they're somewhat distinguishable, color palette aside.

It's none of my business, but Psycho's right on this one.

Off-topic subject, I know, but still. I couldn't help it.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I sort of just guessed. It's a small sprite and Fire Emblem is not one of my main game series (that is, series which I know a lot about). I know of Eliwood, but I don't know any small differences between him and Roy or the sprites of their respective games.

Raitzeno posted:

Works for me. Alternatively, if you want a thief/ninja of some sort

I leave the choice up to you. If you are leaving it up to me, then I'll likely stick with Magic Knight.

Ninjas are better stat wise, but I believe Magic Knights have the more versatile skillset. Ninjas in Conception Plus seem to have a very narrow focus in terms of use:

1. Cutpurse. A team skill with a Thief that acts as a guaranteed steal (Pickpocket has a decent chance to fail).

2. Killing Field. Team skill with Archer that was devastating against trash mobs in CII.

Cutpurse isn't as useful in Plus as it would be in CII, because I don't think there are enemies that hold items or equipment that would be worth trying to steal.

Killing Field is probably still brokenly useful against trash mobs, but you have to put an Archer on the team instead of the higher tiered Hunter.

In LP news, I stumbled on Lillith/Lillie's 3rd CG (which I didn't even notice was missing). Apparently Lillie gets her own version of the Starmas Event.

Still no sign of Mirei's. I think those are the only two 3rd CGs that we were missing. I need to look over Mirei's database section and see if I might have missed something.

EDIT: So hey, guess what? I believe I discovered another major error on Spike Chunsoft's part. At first I thought I had misread something, but it turns out that one of the tutorial cards may have been completely wrong instead.

I believe I tested this, but I will make sure of it tomorrow and show off what I mean in the next Labyrinth update. SC is the gift that keeps on giving, whether you want it to or not.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 6, 2020

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

I don't remember if you've mentioned it before, but where do you compile this information from? I've never put much stock in Zodiac Signs, but they've made an interesting read in regards to this game. I might try this information on some other games to see if it lines up with any characters, just for fun.

I can point you to this directory and this for reference; though I've been citing from a book called, The Darkside Zodiac; it's a cutting satire of the signs at their worst and a helpful analysis of the 12. Ophiuchus however, you're on your own. I hope they at least are entertaining reads!

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

In LP news, I stumbled on Lillith/Lillie's 3rd CG (which I didn't even notice was missing). Apparently Lillie gets her own version of the Starmas Event.

Still no sign of Mirei's. I think those are the only two 3rd CGs that we were missing. I need to look over Mirei's database section and see if I might have missed something.

Huh. Does anyone know what game started the CG collection thing? I know its pretty common these days, but I don't really know when it showed up.

Psycho Knight posted:

EDIT: So hey, guess what? I believe I discovered another major error on Spike Chunsoft's part. At first I thought I had misread something, but it turns out that one of the tutorial cards may have been completely wrong instead.

I believe I tested this, but I will make sure of it tomorrow and show off what I mean in the next Labyrinth update. SC is the gift that keeps on giving, whether you want it to or not.

Spike Chunsoft strikes again, when you least expect it. I await the news of what thing they managed to screw up this time.

Also, how's the anime been going? Has it completely fallen apart yet, or is it still being rather mediocre?

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

I can point you to this directory and this for reference; though I've been citing from a book called, The Darkside Zodiac; it's a cutting satire of the signs at their worst and a helpful analysis of the 12. Ophiuchus however, you're on your own. I hope they at least are entertaining reads!

Hey, thanks! I'll check 'em out if I get some time. Some cutting satire sounds like it could be some fun reading when I'm in the right mood.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Huh. Does anyone know what game started the CG collection thing? I know its pretty common these days, but I don't really know when it showed up.

It's very common in pure visual novels (which this game would be if you stripped out the dungeoning) but I don't know who pioneered it - you'd have to go back a long way.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Polsy posted:

It's very common in pure visual novels (which this game would be if you stripped out the dungeoning) but I don't know who pioneered it - you'd have to go back a long way.

Yeah, that would take some research. You'd also have to narrow it down to "first game with a gallery mode where you can view the artwork". There are old text-based DOS games that have artwork pop up to give you an idea of what your surroundings look like.

Then the question is which Japanese game was the first to have it (if you are just referring to VNs) or which game in general was the first.

But yes, as Polsy said, it's incredibly common in Visual Novel games. Having a gallery where you can view the artwork is basically standard practice at this point.

Spike Chunsoft strikes again, when you least expect it. I await the news of what thing they managed to screw up this time.

Also, how's the anime been going? Has it completely fallen apart yet, or is it still being rather mediocre?

It isn't a huge mistake, and you would probably realize that there was a mistake when you started using the feature, but it's still a case of the developers or translators loving up and telling you the wrong thing about how a mechanic works.

It's especially bad because the way it is explained is the correct way it works in CII, but it seems to have been altered for Conception Plus (or that's how it worked in the original Conception). Basically, it isn't going to severely hamper the player, but it is further proof that someone was asleep at the wheel throughout this entire game.

As for the anime, I don't know. I only watched the episodes just before writing the update, so the next 3 haven't been seen yet. Although I think the next anime update is after this next offering, so I will have to watch them soon.

The final episodes will have to wait until after the game is done, because I suspect that they will have story/ending spoilers.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Huh. I got the avatar in an FE7 LP. I assumed it was the relevant character and never paid much attention to it.

Magic Knight is just fine, especially since it looks like you have other Thieves already.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Raitzeno posted:

Huh. I got the avatar in an FE7 LP. I assumed it was the relevant character and never paid much attention to it.

Magic Knight is just fine, especially since it looks like you have other Thieves already.

All right, Magic Knight it is. I'm back from the gym and all settled in, so now it's time for me to take the LP kids out for a stroll through the Labyrinths for a few hours and slaughter everything with a pulse. At least this will be the last time I'll have to do it.

For those who are curious (they were already pictured in those screenshots, so it isn't really a spoiler anymore), the final Team A(wful) is Yuffie the Ninja, Riela the Paladin, Isabel the Astromancer, and Rose the Bondsman. Because I screwed up the poll, I decided to put one of the Astromancers in by default (they accidentally weren't included in the original poll). Ninja and Bondsman had the most votes, then Paladin was chosen at random from the other choices that wound up tying. RNG has decreed that the final Team A(wful) is a ladies-only affair.

EDIT: Okay, I've found the final CG for Mirei, Femiruna, and Lillith/Lillie. I think I'm still missing one for Sue and one for Ruka, although I'm sure Ruka's is a beach one (Sue's might be as well).

Apparently every Maiden has a "Final" side event as well that only happens when you've maxed the Bond Gauge and it only occurs in a particular season (I think Arie's is a birthday event that can only trigger in Winter for example. While Mirei's is a second Flower-Viewing event that only happens in Spring). So it looks like I have another event update to do at some point.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Mar 6, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Update XV: Black is white, up is down and short is long
Song Title Reference: Everything You Know is Wrong – By “Weird Al” Yankovic

We’re back to main updates and have now completely finished all of the Star Maidens character routes. No more bonding updates for us, no sir… Although we will still be stumbling through a poo poo-ton of side events from now until the story kicks back in, which should be roughly 3 more dungeons from now.

We’re still a ways away from the ending, is what I’m saying. God dammit, has it really only been 38 hours? Steam is telling me it’s been 50. Either way, I’ve definitely spent more time on this game than I did with Conception II.

…Time has not exactly flown by in this game, though. My save file for CII was 40 hours or something I think, but that went by in a flash compared to this game.

Anyway, don’t mind my reminiscing ruminating. We have the final batch of Star Children to introduce (finally).

Barely any votes were cast for this last iteration of Team A(wful) despite the vote being up for like a week and a half. Even still, there was enough of a consensus to construct something. An Astromancer was included in this team by default, because I somehow missed including them in the original poll and wasn’t able to edit them in afterward. I hadn’t noticed until a few votes had already been cast, so I couldn’t just redo the poll from scratch.

RNG determined that Astromancer was to be a Female, and also that a Female Paladin would fill the remaining slot (there was a three-way tie for the last spot). As such, the final version of Team A(wful) is made up entirely of lady warriors.

Final Team A(wful): Rose the Bondsman (Mother: Arie), Riela the Paladin (Mother: Lillith/Lillie), Isabel the Astromancer (Mother: Farun), and Yuffie the Ninja (Mother: Reone).

Team A(wful) has a good selection of skills, including the Team Skill Photon Driver. Team Skills are something I haven’t really talked about much in this game, mainly because the Star Child Teams for this LP have been assembled largely at random.

If you go to Team Edit and then take a look at a Star Child’s skills, you will be able to see a full list of available skills, including possible Team Skills that they can trigger. Hitting “Y” (Triangle on the PS4 version) over a greyed out skill will show you what conditions need to be met to get access to it.

Unfortunately, one of the reasons why I haven’t talked much about Team Skills in this game is because their unlock conditions are much more restricted than in CII. Killing Field needs a Ninja and an Archer. Hunters cannot substitute for Archers, which means that in order to use Killing Field, you’ll need to pass up a more advanced class and instead slot in an early game class. In CII, Team Skills had multiple possible combinations you could use, not just the one, so they could often be triggered just by shifting some Star Children around to different teams.

Anyway, because of how our teams ended up, Photon Driver was fairly easy to get (Team C also has it). Photon Driver just needs an Astromancer and a Bondsman on the same team. The only sub-condition is that the Astromancer needs to have “Shine”, but that’s easy to do at this stage of the game because you’ve likely picked up more than a few Light Matryoshkas (unless you’ve been blowing them all by creating a bunch of Mono-Light teams).

Moving on, Teams B and C went in a different direction this time. Nobody suggested anything for Team C, so I decided to just take the Top 8 posters in the Conception Plus LP thread and turn them into Star Children, then build two teams out of them. Commander Keene was in the Top 8, but I excluded them because they already had a namesake Star Child back in Team A(wful) 2.0 (it was Cmdr. K the Magic Knight).

Team LPB is made up of: Polsy the Hunter (Mother: Femiruna. User: Polsy), Neoman the Dungeon Master (Mother: Mirei. User: SSNeoman), Twybil the Ninja (Mother: Reone. User: The Flying Twybil), and Raitzeno the Magic Knight (Mother: Reone. User: Raitzeno).

I should mention that because Polsy was the “Japanese Version Checker” for the LP, I gave their Star Child the honor(?) of being created with the Polyoshka. The Polyoshka’s appearance is based on Dengeki Playstation’s mascot, so it felt like the most appropriate way to use it. That said, I still have no sweet clue what the drat thing does. Maybe it’s useless and doesn’t do anything, or maybe Polsy the Hunter will one day randomly explode. You’re guess is as good as mine.

Team LPB’s signature skill is Arrow Fusillade. It takes a major chunk of MP to use, but it can be potentially devasting, especially since Polsy the Hunter has a Class Skill called “Hawk-Eye” which boosts crit rate.

Team LPC is made up of Slaan the Paladin (Mother: Sue. User: Slaan), Anni the Astromancer (Mother: Alfie. User: AnAnonymousIdiot), Mokino the Ninja (Mother: Arie. User: Mokinokaro), and Blaze the Bondsman (Mother: Sue. User: BlazeEmblem).

I originally had Mokino as a Thief, because I thought it matched with Mokinokaro’s forum avatar more, but I decided to upgrade them to Ninja instead, since they would have been the only “base” class in the group and that didn’t seem fair.

Team LPC has a lot of the same skills as the other two teams, but they benefit more from Photon Driver because of their much higher MAT.

So those will be our Star Child Teams for the remainder of the LP. There are no more new classes, so I didn’t think it necessary to have any more changes to our lineup (I also don’t want to have to grind up another batch of these little buggers from Level 1 to Level 50+).

As it is, all Teams have a similarly good spread of stats, so I don't think there will be any problems arising from sticking with these kids for the rest of the game. TEC is kind of a weakness for everyone, but so far I've never seen anyone (Itsuki, Star Children, or monsters) miss an attack in this game. Critical Hits might be a little rare, but that's not a deal breaker.

So hey, before we head off to the Virgo Labyrinth and seal that up. I want to point something out that I recently learned! You see those Star Children up there? They are the old thread teams. The ones we just replaced. I didn’t set them free into Granvania because the city level is maxed now, so all we would have received was money (once the city level is maxed, you start getting money when you make Star Children independent. The amount is based on the level of the Star Child).

I just want you to keep a few of those Star Children in mind as we take a little walk.

A little walk to a seldom used city function.

We stop by the Scavenger and get ready to send out one of our Star Children to go hunting for items.

And hey! Look at those powerful Star Children we can send out! Awesome!

Here’s the thing. I doubt anyone remembers this since it was back near the start of the LP, but the Scavenger is supposed to work like this: You go there, choose a Labyrinth you’ve already cleared (or entered), then pick one of the Star Children to go out and look for items for you. The Star Children you can choose from are supposed to be drawn from the Children that you’ve made Independent, but as you can see, the ones we are currently able to select are taken from our reserves, not from the Independent children.

I only noticed this because I popped by the Scavenger at one point just after I had emptied out our reserve forces (you can only have 50 Star Children at a time in total). It was then that I found myself unable to send out anyone on a Scavenger hunt. Originally, I thought I had made a mistake and gave you all the wrong information. It worked this way in CII, so maybe I had just written that part of the tutorial from memory and didn’t bother to pay attention to the tutorial card like I should have.

But then I went back and checked to make sure.

So yeah, it turns out that it wasn’t my fuckup. It just took me forever to notice the error because I rarely ever use the Scavenger. Either the translators or the developers (probably the translators) actually put the wrong information in the tutorial card. This wasn’t a one time slip up either, because the Scavenger tutorial has 2 tutorial cards…

…and the second card has the same error.

Just… come on, Spike Chunsoft. Is this a huge deal? No, not really. If you use the Scavenger then you’ll fairly quickly figure out that the tutorial cards were wrong. It’s not like this will confuse the player to the point that they can’t make use of the gameplay feature.

But we’re still talking about a case of the game misinforming you about its own functions. It’s yet another example of this game not receiving any form of editing or proofreading. Either that, or the person responsible for that stuff was on sick leave during the development/localization of this game and management wasn’t informed.

It never stops. It really doesn’t. We’re finished with story content (for now) and we’re finished with the Bonding Routes, but Spike Chunsoft’s absurd mistakes continue. Well, if nothing else, at least it always proves to be entertaining. Also a little sad, but mostly entertaining.

Anyway, off to Virgo. Let’s knock off the next Labyrinth and take another step towards finishing this thing… before the duct tape and string that holds it together finally falls apart and the game fries my computer or something.

Virgo’s Labyrinth takes… Hold on a second here. What the gently caress? Why does Mahiru’s dungeon get such a unique look? On top of the columns being dressed up in Mahiru’s school uniform, the walls are also decorated like bedroom windows and the doors look like they came from a classroom or something. We can also see a clock way off in the distance. But that’s not all—

The doors even open differently than the other Labyrinths. The left side of the door will slide open like a Japanese style door, as opposed to every other Labyrinth where the doors swing open in a Western style.

Why was Mahiru the only one to get this kind of attention for her Labyrinth? Every other Star Labyrinth we’ve seen so far has just been a colour swap with maybe some decorations on the columns (like the Femiruna wigs in Leo).

Whatever. At its core, it is still just a palette swap. It’s just strange to see Mahiru’s Labyrinth get such a personal touch when everyone else just gets a color change. Ruka’s dungeon sure as gently caress didn’t get that level of detail. We didn’t get the walls of the Cancer Labyrinth made to look like the walls of the Orphanage building, or Mirei’s dungeon to be made to look like her lab.

There isn’t much else to show in this Labyrinth. We’ve seen all of these enemies before. The screenshots above are just showing the ridiculous damage that Arrow Fusillade is capable of on a fairly reliable basis.

Photon Driver isn’t bad either. Keep in mind that the damage you see above is neutral (the Bootes enemy being attacked has Light element defence).

There was a screenshot a few images above where you saw me triggering the Virgo Blessing, which reduces BP consumption on this floor. This is the result when combined with Bondsman (who also reduces BP consumption for MECUNITE). MECUNITE typically costs 50 BP to trigger.

And the “gently caress you! Kill every enemy on the field!” skill typically costs 40 BP or so.

Bondsman by themselves only reduce the amount by about 5 BP, but when combined with a Virgo Blessing you can pop MECUNITE for barely anything and annihilate every enemy on that floor with little resistance.

That was basically all for this Labyrinth. We didn’t score any cool new weapons or awesome armour. I’m really jonesing for some new weapons. There are a ton of cool looking ones in the Database, but until we actually get our hands on them we can’t get a good look at them (unacquired weapons/items/gifts are blanked out in the Database. You only get to see a black outline of it). One that I personally want to find is (what appears to be) a beam sword for Itsuki.

Oh, hey, it’s this thing. We saw this boss in the anime review update. So then I guess Anime Itsuki tackled the Virgo Labyrinth first (we weren’t given a choice. We had to clear Aries as our first Labyrinth).

Another Light based Impurity God. Teams A(wful) and LBC I think have Dark element as their attack, so they might not be dealing out a lot of damage during this fight. Thankfully, none of our Star Child teams have Dark as their defence element, so that means Aeriae won’t be dishing out any super effective damage.

Granted, Aeriae won’t really be getting a chance to dish out any damage, super effective or otherwise. Aeriae is backed up by 2 Crater L’s that have identical skills and only barely different stats.

Aeriae itself does have strong MDF, as Mana said, but its DEF is marginally higher so Magic is still the way to go for this fight.

The only true risk in this fight is if you ran in with a bunch of Star Child teams that have Dark defence. Light attacks will devastate teams with Dark elemental defence and Aeriae has Searing Brightness, which is capable of hitting 2 zones at once. It’s possible to get pretty messed up in this fight.

We’re not in that situation though. Team A(wful)’s defence element is Light, Team LPB’s is Fire, and Team LPC’s is Earth (which are all neutral against Light).

Our Star Child teams are also terrifyingly strong. This fight isn’t going to be a challenge and frankly I don’t feel like even giving Aeriae a chance. Let’s just crush this walking Iron Maiden.

I have Itsuki use Blitz Blow against one of the Crater L enemies in order to bump the Chain Drive gauge. Then I have Team LPB use Gran Chain on the other Crater L in order to bump the gauge again.

If you use CD boosting skills against a single enemy, then that enemy will get chained once the gauge gets up to about 75%. However, if you spread out your CD boosting skills to all of the enemies, then this won’t happen. This will let you max out the CD gauge, which will then chain all enemies on the field. You can pull this off in 3 turns without fail (unless one of your units manages to miss somehow) as long as each Team has a CD boosting skill (Gran Chain, Temple Chain, or Blitz Blow for example).

Before I can do it, Aeriae succeeds in getting an attack in. It hurts pretty bad, but Team LPC is still in okay shape. I don’t bother to heal and instead just have them use Temple Chain on Aeriae.

With all of the enemies now chained, I have Team A(wful) MECUNITE and use their “gently caress You” attack.

This kills both Crater L enemies and takes a small chunk out of Aeriae’s health. I then have Team LPC heal themselves up.

And then proceed to have everyone throw their strongest attacks at it. Itsuki uses Crescent. MECUNITE’d Team A(wful) shoots it with their little beam for another 7k in damage. Then Team LPB hits for 9999 with Arrow Fusillade.

Barely alive and one attack away from being defeated, Aeriae manages to break out of Chain and uses Searing Brightness for… well, it did damage in the quadruple digits. We’ll let Aeriae pretend that it went out like a man instead of an infant.

We got some sweet EXP from it at least, mainly because of the Chain bonus. Although given the rear end kicking that our new Star Children just handed out, I’m not sure that it was really needed.

Actually, I take that back. I shouldn’t tempt fate like that. God only knows how strong the enemies will be in Ophiuchus by the time we get around to dealing with it. Every bit of EXP helps, because it means less potential grinding in the future.

Anyway, you know the deal. The screws go in the holes and blah blah. Let’s bounce.

So, with that out of the way, what’s on the docket for this update? Well, the shop has new stuff, but it’s all outdated so I won’t even bother going over that. The Tavern exclamation point is just for the boss we beat (we get some Matryoshkas as a reward, which we don’t have a use for anymore since no more Star Children are needed), so there’s nothing worth examining there. What stupid side stuff haven’t I shown off yet…

Oh, right! Something I’ve been deliberately ignoring this entire game because of the possibility of spoilers for the Star Maidens.

I showed this off way back near the start of the LP, but at the time most of the pages were just “???”.

In the character section of the database (you can technically also check this from the Church and Star God Academy), you will find the stat sheets for the Star Maidens as well as a little blurb about who they are. You’ll also notice up next to “Star Maiden Data” that there is a prompt for Left Bumper and Right Bumper. Hitting either of those will bring you to the Maiden’s “Likes/Dislikes/Facts” page.

Now that we’ve seen all the main Bonding Events for each Maiden, we can take a look through these for interesting details without having to worry about spoilers for the character’s route. Spoilers such as Arie liking blades/weapons for example. We didn’t learn this about Arie until early Bonding Level 4 I think, yet I’m pretty sure this part of her profile has been filled out since Bond Level 2 was first unlocked. So it’s possible that we could have had “Arie’s secret room” spoiled 4 bonding events in advance. This is why I’ve been avoiding showing these off until now (I originally discovered this with Femiruna).

Anyway, we already know everything about the Maidens and their respective routes now, so let’s have a look. Arie likes fluffy things, which makes sense with her hat and that shawl thing she wears. She also likes cleaning, which we learned as soon as Itsuki started talking to her. The blades/weapons thing came way later.

As for dislikes, there isn’t much in the way of surprises. Not liking expensive things is pretty understandable since Arie is a nun. Ditto with Faithless People. Defiance is a bit strange, if only because I’m not sure what kind of defiance is being talked about. Arie isn’t really the “ruler across the hands” kind of nun. She doesn’t exactly bark orders at people or anything. Could just be defiance of the church, but it’s not as though we’ve ever heard of the Granvanian Church issuing any edicts.

As for the personal details, we already know that she’s a preacher, loves cleaning, and is caring. Preacher does seem a little strong based on what we’ve seen of her though. She’s never been overly pushy of her religion towards the children or Itsuki. Maybe this is just a reference to her job as a Sunday school teacher or something.

Tarua’s profile is a little more revelatory… although only barely. We know she likes sports, we know she likes to run, we know about the head patting and her need for attention/recognition from people like Boss and Itsuki. Her love of sweets is something that I think we learn of during generic events.

In terms of dislikes, Staying Still is an obvious one. Studying is also not surprising since it kind of requires you to sit still. Magic Transmission is something that I think she will mention in her dungeon message. I guess it sort of makes sense for her, since technology is something that isn’t Boss or Running and is therefore outside of Tarua’s interests.

Lillith/Lillie’s is a strange one to parse. Which things are Lillith related and which ones are Lillie related? Lillith definitely likes cats and we can assume that Lillie does (she did catch a stray one because Lillith really liked it). Same goes for Cake, although I don’t think cake has ever come up in their events so I’m not sure if they both have that sweet tooth. Lillith likes cute things, but does Lillie? I guess she did force Itsuki to go buy her a bunch of outfits during one of the event, so she’s probably interested in cute stuff as well.

Dislikes are all obvious and are probably shared by both personalities. A dislike of Studying/Tests has mostly been hinted at by Lillie. I think one of her generic events has her trying to get Itsuki to help her cheat at one or something.

The Personal Details portion is equally obvious. Scared of Fortune seems more like a Lillith thing, though. I don’t think Lillie has ever said anything about being afraid of having her own fortune told.

Ruka’s has a bit more to offer. We got a hint of her liking plants when she gave Itsuki that parrot plant thing during the main story, although I don’t think she said anything specifically about plants during that. Tofu-wrapped sushi is out of nowhere. Maybe one of her generic events brings that up. Girly Things is a side of Ruka that we’ve seen more of as her route as progressed, such as when Itsuki gave her that ribbon and she asked him to put it on her.

Dislikes is mostly stuff we know, although I don’t think her dislike of scary stories has ever come up. Maybe it does if you select her as your partner during Star Maiden Camp, since that involves her and Itsuki wandering through a school at night while the other Maidens try to scare them.

Personal Details are all things we already know about her. We still haven’t seen any definitive proof of her ability to read minds, but we certainly know how stubborn she is and that she is a solid cook.

I showed off Femiruna’s during her Final Bonding events. She still dislikes Carrots, even though one of her early events has her trying to overcome her aversion to them and discovering that they actually don’t taste bad at all. Although, that part of her route was sort of dropped as soon as it came up.

The weird parts here are Femiruna’s like of Disciplinarians and basically all of her Personal Details section. Someone trying to discipline her for doing something wrong, as well as her loneliness and snootiness, are all things that Femiruna’s route started off with but quickly dropped in favour of focusing on her apparent masochism.

Yeah, that’s right. Remember early on in Femiruna’s route where she was secretly lonely and sad because her family status prevented her from forming friendships with other students? Or when she tried to change her snooty ways when Itsuki wasn’t willing to overlook them just because Femiruna was rich? Yeah, all of that kind of fell by the wayside as Femiruna’s route went on and greater emphasis was placed on her getting turned on whenever Itsuki was rough with her.

Mahiru’s profile is pretty standard stuff. Haven’t really heard much about her not liking small bugs, but that’s a typical “girl” thing, so it’s not that surprising that the School Idol character would have a fear like that. She’s athletic and doesn’t like to lose, which is also a very School Idol/Ms. Perfect kind of thing. I’m not sure why it says she’s “Actually Serious”, since Mahiru is often pretty goofy (especially when she’s with Itsuki). Maybe it means—

…Wait a minute. What… what the hell is that doing there? “Sadist in Private”?

:stare: I’m not sure that’s a detail we needed to know about Mahiru. Unlike Femiruna, I wasn’t getting any strong hints of something like that. Maybe this is a holdover from “Old Mahiru”?

…Let’s move on to Mirei.

Nothing much stands out with Mirei. We learned of her love for baths. Coffee is something that we haven’t seen her gushing about, but it makes sense for someone that pulls all-nighters. Everything else are things we’ve learned about her over the course of her route. She definitely lives by her own rules and she’s definitely proud of her abilities as a scientist. Her nearsightedness has been the subject of a few events so far.

Reone is also fairly straightforward. Although, I don’t think we’ve ever heard about her love of canned food. That seems like the kind of thing that a doctor wouldn’t be down for, especially considering how concerned Reone has been shown to be in regards to Itsuki’s/the students nutrition.

Her dislikes all match up with what we’ve seen. Not sure we’ve seen much about her aversion to sweet stuff, but she is a doctor and plays a role in managing the nutrition of the lunch menu in the cafeteria, so it’s not a big surprise.

Her Personal Details section is a bit hit or miss though. Erotic? No doubt about that. Wants to Teach? Ehh… the only times she has shown a desire to teach are when it comes to Itsuki and the Classmating ritual. She’s never been shown doing anything like what Arie does. Bad Girl Personality is true, I guess. She used to be a pit fighter, but that was out of necessity for her and her brother. There’s been no indication that she was doing it for thrills or to look like a badass. There’s also the fact that those days are in the past. She’s a responsible doctor working at the Palace now and she gets overly worried about the smallest cut or bruise that Itsuki gets. She does break some rules, but she does it either out of sympathy (Yuzuha’s medicine) or out of a twisted sense of responsibility (trying to shoulder the hospital plan by herself because she wants to make amends for her brother). Not sure I would describe that as a “bad girl” personality.

Nothing new in Sue’s profile. The scholarly aspect of her is something that doesn’t get a lot of attention though. Mirei asked her about it in the bath during a Star Maiden Camp event and she does seem to be pretty knowledgeable about animals, but we don’t really get any moments where she flaunts her intelligence. We also don’t get to hear anything about the animal research that she’s supposedly doing (according to Mirei).

Farun’s profile is about what you would expect. We know first hand that she likes to talk, considering that her events are usually ones where Itsuki barely manages to get a word in edgewise. Senseless Comments is a bit harder to parse. The one time I can remember where this comes up is when Itsuki says that he knows/understands her and Farun cryptically replies by asking him how much he really knows about her.

We’ve seen some of this stuff from Collette, but not all of it. The only time Spicy Food has come up is during the School Festival, but we didn’t get any hints that Collette liked spicy stuff (the food was insanely spicy because Mahiru screwed up the recipe, so Collette was busy freaking out about the prospect of people not being able to eat it). We did get a bit of her love for gossip, mainly in regards to the school mysteries that Mahiru kept dragging us through.

Heights are something I don’t think we’ve ever heard of. Collette has never been up in a high place during her events. I don’t think Roaches have made any appearances either, although her not liking them is somewhat understandable since she runs a bakery and therefore wouldn’t want them skittering around all over the place.

Her Personal Details thing just draws further attention to the fact that Collette is a loving child. Other than that, her being obsequious should be obvious since she’s running her own business. Salespeople are often that way, whether out of desire to keep their business afloat, or out of a desire to keep their corporate overlords away from their paycheque.

For those that don’t know, obsequious basically means an rear end-kisser. It’s a person that is overly flattering or complimentary because they’re trying to get something out of you.

Honestly, I don’t think we know any of this about Yuzuha, at least in terms of her likes. Has she ever mentioned anything about liking colorful candy? Or feathers? Or perfect rice balls? I sure as hell don’t remember that stuff. Also, why “perfect” rice balls specifically? Weird…

Her dislikes are a bit more obvious. We know she doesn’t like crowds, because people tend to be assholes towards her by openly talking about how weird she looks/acts. Exercise makes sense now that we know about her disease (exercise would tire her out and make her sleep more often, thus shortening her lifespan). Not sure where the dislike of bitter drinks comes from though.

As for Personal Details, the only one I’m not sure on is “Obsessive”. “Hates Aggression” is something I could see considering how shy and meek she is. But I don’t think we’ve seen any obsessive behaviour from her. Maybe it’s talking about her lugging the coffin around everywhere out of that morbid belief that it will make her death less of a hassle for people?

Finally, there’s Alfie. I… I’m not sure what it means by her liking “Straight Things”. Is that referring to swords and lances and stuff like that? Because that’s the only thing that comes to mind. Alfie has never talked about how straight a particular thing is.

It’s worth noting that “Love” is still under Dislikes. I’m pretty sure that part of her has changed over the course of her route, so I don’t think this is correct anymore. I guess the developers would have had to shift Love to Likes and then take out one of the other things while also slotting in a new Dislike. Probably easier to just leave it as is, regardless of any character development.

Loving Teacher I definitely understand. She’s tough on the Star Children, but there’s no argument as to whether or not she cares deeply about them. Good Cook and Gives Gifts are two things that we’ve never seen from her though. I don’t think we’ve ever gotten any hints about those either. Giving Gifts is especially funny considering that Alfie is the only Star Maiden that doesn’t have a “Starmas Gift Giving” event. The only thing she is ever shown giving (I think) is her Valentine’s Day chocolate, of which she only has one type (the other Maidens have Choco and Favor varieties of chocolate. Alfie only has Favor). Speaking of…

I didn’t get a chance to show this during the Valentine’s Day event because Alfie was dead at the time. Although Alfie only has one type of V-Day chocolate, hers is specially designed with an imprint of her likeness, whereas the other Maidens only use their Star Sign symbols (or the associated animal/object of their Sign).

Anyway, that’s all for this sad excuse for an update. What were we doing next…? Oh, right. I was going to do the Beach Events and Flower Viewing Events… Actually I think I had scheduled the Flower Viewing Events to take place before this dungeon update. Oh well. Doesn’t really matter too much. The important thing is I don’t have to watch the next few episodes of the anime just yet.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Didn't Alfie say that she hated Romance, instead of love?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Didn't Alfie say that she hated Romance, instead of love?

I don’t quite recall. I thought it was love, because love led to the creation of Impurities. She likes Romance Dramas, although I guess that could just be because of the time she spent watching them with her God’s Gift dad.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Mahiru’s profile is pretty standard stuff. Haven’t really heard much about her not liking small bugs, but that’s a typical “girl” thing, so it’s not that surprising that the School Idol character would have a fear like that. She’s athletic and doesn’t like to lose, which is also a very School Idol/Ms. Perfect kind of thing. I’m not sure why it says she’s “Actually Serious”, since Mahiru is often pretty goofy (especially when she’s with Itsuki). Maybe it means—

…Wait a minute. What… what the hell is that doing there? “Sadist in Private”?

:stare: I’m not sure that’s a detail we needed to know about Mahiru. Unlike Femiruna, I wasn’t getting any strong hints of something like that. Maybe this is a holdover from “Old Mahiru”?

:stare:

Psycho Knight posted:

Her dislikes are a bit more obvious. We know she doesn’t like crowds, because people tend to be assholes towards her by openly talking about how weird she looks/acts. Exercise makes sense now that we know about her disease (exercise would tire her out and make her sleep more often, thus shortening her lifespan). Not sure where the dislike of bitter drinks comes from though.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the bitter drinks part is because of maturity. With her being apparently more childish in the Japanese version and having candy as a like, it fits pretty well into the standard kid tropes of hating medicine/anything bitter and having a preference of sweet things.

I've seen the stereotype a couple of times in what anime related things I've played.

Psycho Knight posted:

Finally, there’s Alfie. I… I’m not sure what it means by her liking “Straight Things”. Is that referring to swords and lances and stuff like that? Because that’s the only thing that comes to mind. Alfie has never talked about how straight a particular thing is.

Didn't she specifically use swords in that early event regarding her training? There's that and arrows too, I guess, since she was originally a Hunter or something, right?

Maybe there's something different in the translation on these?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Psycho Knight posted:

So yeah, it turns out that it wasn’t my fuckup. It just took me forever to notice the error because I rarely ever use the Scavenger. Either the translators or the developers (probably the translators) actually put the wrong information in the tutorial card. This wasn’t a one time slip up either, because the Scavenger tutorial has 2 tutorial cards…

Checked Japanese Conception Plus on this one and yeah, it's a mistake in translation. It says 'Star Children, excepting team members' and the second card just says 'Star Children'. I'd have to guess they misinterpreted 'not in team' to be equivalent to 'been made independent' because it doesn't literally say independent by any interpretation.

Psycho Knight posted:

Virgo’s Labyrinth takes… Hold on a second here. What the gently caress? Why does Mahiru’s dungeon get such a unique look? On top of the columns being dressed up in Mahiru’s school uniform, the walls are also decorated like bedroom windows and the doors look like they came from a classroom or something. We can also see a clock way off in the distance. But that’s not all—

The doors even open differently than the other Labyrinths. The left side of the door will slide open like a Japanese style door, as opposed to every other Labyrinth where the doors swing open in a Western style.

Had my doubts about this one considering the extra work Mahiru got in Plus but this actually was in original Conception.

Much as I'd like to clarify anything in the character profiles, people recording footage of them looking through the database appears to be non-existent or at least not anywhere in their let's plays that I'd expect to find it. Googling the presumed text (even something as simple as 'femiruna' 'carrots') doesn't get me anywhere either.

e: Actually I just found someone who puts database stuff at the end of their (Farun, Mahiru, Alfie, Arie) 'ending' videos, so I'm just mildly spoiling myself on endings now. Though it turned out they didn't go into the character profile page for Mahiru.

For Arie: Defiance is more literally 'going against teachings' so yeah, probably the church thing. Preacher is more literally 'spreads teachings', so, right, it's probably meant to be non-aggressive.

For Farun: Boorish would probably be better than 'senseless', she probably gets a lot of that in a bar though I'm not sure why it'd be the last unlock particularly.

For Alfie: her dislike is indeed specifically 'romantic' love, but yes, regardless of how you take that it seems kind of weird when you just went through her final bond event. More usefully, 'straight' should actually be 'straightforward'.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 8, 2020

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the bitter drinks part is because of maturity. With her being apparently more childish in the Japanese version and having candy as a like, it fits pretty well into the standard kid tropes of hating medicine/anything bitter and having a preference of sweet things.

I guess that's true. The medicine is probably a major part of that dislike, since it is a medicine that she drinks specifically to cause pain to herself in order to force her to stay awake and not die quicker. Even if she had a taste for bitter things, it would be hard to "like" it given the associations it has.

Polsy posted:

Had my doubts about this one considering the extra work Mahiru got in Plus but this actually was in original Conception.

Really? So then even in the original PSP game Mahiru was getting extra love from the developers. Weird.

Polsy posted:

e: Actually I just found someone who puts database stuff at the end of their (Farun, Mahiru, Alfie, Arie) 'ending' videos, so I'm just spoiling myself on endings now. Though it turned out they didn't even go into the character profile page for Mahiru.

For Alfie: her dislike is indeed specifically 'romantic' love, but yes, regardless of how you take that it seems kind of weird when you just went through her final bond event. And 'straight' should be 'straightforward'.

That makes a bit more sense regarding Alfie. Weird that they would interpret that as "straight things" though. Granted, it would have been kind of hilarious if they had interpreted that as "straight people".

As I said, the fact that "Love" is listed as a dislike despite her entire character route being about her coming to terms with experiencing that feeling herself and liking it (since it was "awakened" in her when she turned into a Star Maiden) is probably down to the fact that they would have had to go in and mess with her character profile. They would have had to move "Love" from Dislikes to Likes, except there are only 3 spaces in the profile for each thing, so they would have had to remove one of her existing Likes. But doing that would then leave an empty space in Dislikes, which would make it look weird. Not to mention that they also would have had to adjust Alfie's affection tables for the Gift mechanic and adjust all the values for which Gifts she would like and dislike. They probably felt it was too much hassle.

As for spoiling yourself on endings: You're looking at the Japanese version. God only knows what kind of insane translation errors will be made in the English version that could completely flip the meaning of those.

Also, it sucks that they didn't go into Mahiru's profile. I was really curious to know where the hell that "Sadist in Private" thing came from. I feel like it would be something that was part of Mahiru's old personality, but I could also see it being a Plus induced change that was horribly mistranslated or something. I think the only hint we get at any kind of "sadist" thing from Mahiru is when Itsuki talks about her repeatedly jumping on him to wake him up and Mahiru responding "Oh come on, I know you like it."

Edit:

Polsy posted:

For Arie: Defiance is more literally 'going against teachings' so yeah, probably the church thing. Preacher is more literally 'spreads teachings', so, right, it's probably meant to be non-aggressive.

For Farun: Boorish would probably be better than 'senseless', she probably gets a lot of that in a bar though I'm not sure why it'd be the last unlock particularly.

Okay, so the translation was technically correct for those two, but the implications were a lot more broad (especially for Arie). Arie likes to spread the good word and doesn't like going against the teachings of Star God or whatever. The defiance/teachings thing is interesting for a different reason though. Arie doesn't like going against the religious teachings, but it's clear from her route that she is willing to reevaluate her interpretation of those teachings. It's sort of like bending the rules a little bit, which is something you don't see a lot of from religious characters (outside of games where the church is evil, I mean. Or the character subverting their supposed religious beliefs is meant to be funny).

Farun doesn't like boring things, which you could interpret as "senseless" if you looked at it from the point of view of a beautiful woman working in a bar and getting a bunch of superficial comments from drunk guys. Kind of a "Yeah, yeah, I've heard it all before" angle.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 8, 2020

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

As I said, the fact that "Love" is listed as a dislike despite her entire character route being about her coming to terms with experiencing that feeling herself and liking it (since it was "awakened" in her when she turned into a Star Maiden) is probably down to the fact that they would have had to go in and mess with her character profile. They would have had to move "Love" from Dislikes to Likes, except there are only 3 spaces in the profile for each thing, so they would have had to remove one of her existing Likes. But doing that would then leave an empty space in Dislikes, which would make it look weird. Not to mention that they also would have had to adjust Alfie's affection tables for the Gift mechanic and adjust all the values for which Gifts she would like and dislike. They probably felt it was too much hassle.

What about Love as a dislike as a translation error, considering that Love and Romance seem synonymous?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

What about Love as a dislike as a translation error, considering that Love and Romance seem synonymous?

What do you mean?

Even if it is a translation error, Love/Romance are very closely related, so it still doesn't make sense for Alfie. At this point in her route, it's fairly obvious that she doesn't dislike romance or love or anything related to that.

I think the problem is that Alfie hated Love/Rimance when she was still technically a Star Child, since Star Children are apparently incapable of understanding what that stuff is other than "the thing that leads to Impurities". As soon as Alfie becomes a Star Maiden and her emotions are unlocked or expanded or whatever the hell happened to her, then she starts to understand why it's good. It's just weird that it is part of her profile when it's something that's only true for the first few events.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Psycho Knight posted:

What do you mean?

Even if it is a translation error, Love/Romance are very closely related, so it still doesn't make sense for Alfie. At this point in her route, it's fairly obvious that she doesn't dislike romance or love or anything related to that.

I think the problem is that Alfie hated Love/Rimance when she was still technically a Star Child, since Star Children are apparently incapable of understanding what that stuff is other than "the thing that leads to Impurities". As soon as Alfie becomes a Star Maiden and her emotions are unlocked or expanded or whatever the hell happened to her, then she starts to understand why it's good. It's just weird that it is part of her profile when it's something that's only true for the first few events.

In the first few scenes with Alfie, there's a line where she differentiates Love and Romance, describing the former as 'the desire to give', and the latter as 'the desire to take'. In that understanding, I posit that she saw the act that created Impurities like the Bond Eater as Romance, something base and selfish, instead of pure and ideal. Granted, this is probably not something the writers thought about that deeply, but reading between the lines suggests that she doesn't want a repeat of what she had witnessed back when she was a Star Child.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

In the first few scenes with Alfie, there's a line where she differentiates Love and Romance, describing the former as 'the desire to give', and the latter as 'the desire to take'. In that understanding, I posit that she saw the act that created Impurities like the Bond Eater as Romance, something base and selfish, instead of pure and ideal. Granted, this is probably not something the writers thought about that deeply, but reading between the lines suggests that she doesn't want a repeat of what she had witnessed back when she was a Star Child.

Oh, that. I had forgotten about that moment.

Even then, I'm pretty sure she made that distinction fairly early in her route. She never made any kind of call back to it, but I would imagine her stance on that has changed by this point.

Honestly, that moment didn't really make a lot of sense back when she first said it, which I guess is understandable since she heard it from her God's Gift, who sounded like a major geek and probably got it from some trashy drama.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

So she dislikes Eros, not Agape?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Raitzeno posted:

So she dislikes Eros, not Agape?

I dunno, based on her reaction to the porno mags that Lillie apparently gave her, I think Alfie could be down for Eros as well.

Conception Plus LP: Minor hiatus

Hey, everyone. I've been having a rough go of things this week, largely in relation to school and the ebb and flow of crippling depression that accompanies it. Usually I make quick work of new updates, but it's now been 3 days since the last one and I only just finished typing out the third flower viewing event (there's still another 3 detailed ones to go and then all the summaries). I've also noticed that my mind is really not into the commentary at the moment and the commentary I have made has been pretty lackluster.

So I think I'm going to take a small break from doing LP things. I'm thinking I'll probably pause for a week or two so that I can (hopefully) clear up a bunch of papers and presentations that are creeping up as the end of the semester barrels down on me.

The Final Maiden Vote is still going and this break I'm taking will more than likely mean that the deadline for that will go into April, so there will be more time for anyone to think it over. With the updates that are left, as well as the new update that I didn't plan on (those unique final side-events), I expect the earliest deadline for Ending Vote to be April 10th. Even that's probably early, but there's definitely no chance of us hitting the final dungeon by March 31st now.

This should also give some people that might have stumbled on the LP later (like Taciturn Tactician) a chance to catch up on story updates.

Latecomers: The most important updates

For anyone that has stumbled on this LP recently and is trying to catch up, now is a good chance. Here are the most important updates so far:

Update I - I've been searching for a man, all across Japan
Update II - No need to fear me; I did not come to touch
Update III - The Stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep
Update IV - Let me see what Spring is like on Jupiter and Mars
Update V - Every day there’s sorrow; today, tomorrow ~ But I’m dancing instead
Update VI - If there's something strange; In your neighborhood
Update VII - I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take (Story)
Update VIII - Drink blood like a vampire without warning
Special Bonding Update I (Alfie Bonding) - I'm a goddess with a blade - Part 1
Special Bonding Update I (Alfie Bonding) - I'm a goddess with a blade - Part 2
Update IX - I've been battered, but I never bruise. It's not so bad (Story)
Update X - Just about the time you’re thinkin’ it’s alright ~ Breakdown. Takedown. You’re busted

These are the main story updates, as well as Alfie's Bonding Update (which introduces her as a character and explains what her deal is). All of the other updates are either Bonding Updates or Dungeon Updates.

So if you want to get caught up on the main story, then the updates above are the ones to focus on. Reading through those, you'll know everything about the main story that the rest of the thread currently does. Bonding Updates are things that can be saved for later.

Anyway, that's all from me. I'll still be around on the forums, but I'll be pausing work on the LP for about a week or so in order to hopefully clean up the (currently larger than normal) mess my daily life is in.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

Conception Plus LP: Minor hiatus

Hey, everyone. I've been having a rough go of things this week, largely in relation to school and the ebb and flow of crippling depression that accompanies it. Usually I make quick work of new updates, but it's now been 3 days since the last one and I only just finished typing out the third flower viewing event (there's still another 3 detailed ones to go and then all the summaries). I've also noticed that my mind is really not into the commentary at the moment and the commentary I have made has been pretty lackluster.

Take all the time you need. It's not like Granvania desperately needs someone to save it at this exact moment, really. I mean Fort City was being overrun at this point, and really the most threatening thing we've got on the loose is just Mana.

I'm presently hitting a wall on writing content right now, so I've got at least a bit of an idea of how it is. Motivation's not as high as it could be, and what I do manage to write isn't really passable material.

I'd be willing to blame it on the time of the year. This always happens to me late in winter.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I'm presently hitting a wall on writing content right now, so I've got at least a bit of an idea of how it is. Motivation's not as high as it could be, and what I do manage to write isn't really passable material.

I'd be willing to blame it on the time of the year. This always happens to me late in winter.

It's less motivation and more lack of focus. There's too many things on my mind that I'm stressing about and it's leaving me in a foggy haze where I'll look at something (like my recording) and not even recognize what is happening in it.

I think it's just a culmination of stress, depression, and anxiety combined with classes. Granted, I know what you mean about certain times of year. I have that too, although for me it's always in Spring when my birthday rolls around. It'll be even worse this year because I'll finally be rolling out of the 20's and into my 30's, which isn't a good thing considering that I've already had the feeling that my life hasn't progressed at all, for the past 10 years.

Honestly, I'd love to focus just on the LP right now, because it would distract me from so many things, but I don't want to force it if I'm unable to focus, because then you guys are just going to get a bunch of extremely dull/slapped together commentary. More so than my usual stuff, I mean.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Psycho Knight posted:

It's less motivation and more lack of focus. There's too many things on my mind that I'm stressing about and it's leaving me in a foggy haze where I'll look at something (like my recording) and not even recognize what is happening in it.

I think it's just a culmination of stress, depression, and anxiety combined with classes. Granted, I know what you mean about certain times of year. I have that too, although for me it's always in Spring when my birthday rolls around. It'll be even worse this year because I'll finally be rolling out of the 20's and into my 30's, which isn't a good thing considering that I've already had the feeling that my life hasn't progressed at all, for the past 10 years.

Honestly, I'd love to focus just on the LP right now, because it would distract me from so many things, but I don't want to force it if I'm unable to focus, because then you guys are just going to get a bunch of extremely dull/slapped together commentary. More so than my usual stuff, I mean.

There's definitely a focus issue on my side as well. I've got lots of things closing in around me, especially financially, and I find it hard to turn my attention to things I do for fun. Said things have been closing in for months now, and the stress really doesn't stop building. I can't stop my mind from thinking, so it's really just lovely.

Spring particularly sucks for me because aside from lasting mental issues and building stress, it's also usually where my allergies kick in and try to stick me with the equivalent of a harsh cold for the next 3 months. I've still got a few months until my birthday hits, but I am absolutely not looking forward to it either. My life's gone nowhere, and being reminded of how long it's been since it fell apart is a pain. It wasn't really that long ago, chronologically, but I can barely remember anything specific that happened since then.

What I'll usually do is make myself take just 5 or 10 minutes and try to do something related to the LP and see if my focus will pick up. If it doesn't then I'll move on for a while and try again later. I think the recent commentary has been fine, but hey, if you feel like it's not, then do whatever you need to. Don't stress yourself out over something that's supposed to help get rid of it- I did more than enough of that to myself with VC2. That said, I'm no professional or anything and this is, in all forms of the phrase, "none of my business".

I've got a bad habit of spouting advice where it was never asked for, but all I'm trying to say is that we can wait. I'm looking forward to the next update regardless, whenever it comes out.

Gotta say, a sizable update every three days is still quite impressive for how long you've had this LP going. I couldn't keep up that pace very long.

TracerK
Jun 25, 2013

Take your time! I've been quietly following along since your LP of Conception 2 and have been wanting to punch Mana's lovely plush face every time she shows up impressed that you've been consistently updating for this long with little to no breaks. Don't stress yourself out over the LP and come back to it once you feel like you're mentally in a better place. :unsmith:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TracerK posted:

Take your time! I've been quietly following along since your LP of Conception 2 and have been wanting to punch Mana's lovely plush face every time she shows up impressed that you've been consistently updating for this long with little to no breaks. Don't stress yourself out over the LP and come back to it once you feel like you're mentally in a better place. :unsmith:

Thanks, I'm always glad to know there are people following from the shadows. Makes me believe that there's a bigger audience than just the dozen or so people I see posting in the thread all the time.

Gotta say, a sizable update every three days is still quite impressive for how long you've had this LP going. I couldn't keep up that pace very long.

I did a diploma in Business long ago, before I started on this foolhardy quest for a Bachelor's Degree, and I also worked as a legal transcriptionist for a while. I have a good amount of experience with listening to/watching stuff and typing it out, so it actually doesn't take me very long to do the brunt of the work for an SSLP. Honestly, I could probably get a full update done in about two hours if I had a set of those transcription foot pedals, but they're like $90 and I have no use for them outside of this hobby.

The other driving factors behind my rapid update schedule for these things is that I have no life and depression has walled off my interest in other hobbies that I used to love.

With that said, I'm feeling a little more relaxed now, so I'm going to pick away at the flower viewing update again in a little bit. My classes have moved online because of this virus meltdown that everyone is having, so I'm not quite as stressed due to a slight reduction in workload.

That said, the update will probably still be another day or two.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Special Events III: Flower Viewing Part 1 - Scorpio, Ares, Leo, and Cancer

It’s time for springtime Flower Viewing! Ignore the fact that the game will say that it is currently summer!

Reone will be up first this time, because Alfie doesn’t have a Flower Viewing event and Reone’s is where we can find her third CG.

You might also notice that we’re up to 97% completion for the Star Maiden events. I have unlocked all events for the Star Maidens at this point with the exception of their endings. Most of these were generic events that I don’t plan to show off (except in Alfie’s case for reasons that will be explained later). However, the very last event in the list (in Reone’s case it’s the one called “Festival Sickness”) is a special event that is different for each Star Maiden.

I’ll talk more about that later on, since I plan to do an event update that shows some of them off. I just wanted to mention that we’ve still got more side events coming down the pipe.

~Star God Academy Classroom~

Hey, Reone. It’s really heating up outside, isn’t it?

It sure is. When it’s this warm, I can barely pay attention in class. …I know.

I heard it’s flower viewing season.

Well, I’m not a student at this school, so I can’t technically skip class. But is it really okay for you to do that?

It’s fine, it’s fine.

What the hell are they even learning in these classes? From the sounds of it, Narcisstes has just been rambling about random topics and stupid poo poo like “You can improve your bonds by pretending to be family! That’s not creepy at all!” I say skip.

It’s unhealthy to not go outside when the weather is this nice. So come on. Now that it’s decided, let’s get going.

*Reone then heads out*

H-Hey! Wait up, Reone!

~Flower-Viewing Spot~

Yeah. Amazing how Narcisstes managed to track down cherry blossom-like flower trees and grow an entire forest of them in the span of a year. Probably used Star Energy. Either that or we’ll discover that Mirei made a super growth formula or some poo poo.

Everyone’s drinking in broad daylight. Does this mean I can drink too?

Oh, you were talking about getting hammered. Yeah, I guess that’s nice too. Wouldn’t call it elegant though.

Why are you asking me that? I’m carrying all the booze that you stopped to buy on the way over here.

I was only confirming. Isn’t this how flower viewing is supposed to be?

Mana is not a reliable source of information, Reone. Yes, hanami involves having a picnic or party with friends or family and eat and drink and all that fun stuff. The main idea is to be enjoying the flowers, though. People like to drink sake or wine, but I’m fairly sure that getting plastered is considered bad manners.

Hold on, you are not planning to actually drink that much, are you?

Haha… It’s fine to drink heartily every once in a while. You can’t drink yet, so you get dumplings. Eat one for each falling petal.

NOBODY loving CARES ABOUT THE loving MINIMUM DRINKING AGE IN JAPAN! Holy gently caress, the player and Itsuki do not need to be reminded about this every single goddamn time that booze is brought up. I thought we had finally moved past this during Mahiru’s final bonding event.

I’m going to open up a bottle now. Here, you take one of the dumplings. Now, here’s a toast to the beautiful, falling petals.

What am I supposed to toast with? The dumpling?

That’s right. Cheers!

Well, okay then. Cheers… I guess.

”You’re too young to drink, Itsuki (and by extension the player). But ohhh man! Check out how much fun getting drunk is! Look how happy it makes people!”

*Anyway, there’s a time skip here where Reone drowns herself in alcohol*

Fwaa… Itsuki. Gimme another bottle. Drinking like this’s just rude to the flowers.

There are no more bottles, you drank it all.

Oh… Fine then. I’ll just have some dumplings. …Hm? *stare*…

…Why are you staring at my nose?

Whaaat? The flower’s nose? It’s blooming cutely. It looks delicious. I’m gonna eat it right up. Haha… Don’t move… Mm…

I guess it’s not surprising that Reone is the pervert kind of drunk. Could be worse, she could have been the angry/violent kind of drunk. Granted, I personally would have found that hilarious, since she might have started running around beating the poo poo out of everyone.

R-Reone!

It makes me happy that the middle choice is the best one. I remember that CII had fun with the dialogue choices, just like this (Wake is able to respond with “I ain’t afraid of no ghost” at one point). CP’s are mostly bland.

I guess I better just wait this out…

Oh, the petals’re staying in place. What a polite flower… You exist just for me to sample. Thanks for the meal…

Reone, you’re definitely drunk. Could you try and pull yourself together a bit?

Me? I’m not drunk at all. Don’t worry… I won’t make it hurt… I’ll taste you with my tongue…

I wonder how much fun the families in the area are having? Having their kids running around and watching as a Star Maiden mounts God’s Gift and starts grinding on him in a drunken stupor. Meanwhile they know they can’t really do anything to stop it because they sort of need both of them to save the world.

Zzz… Zzz…

*Anyway, the CG cuts out and we find that Reone has apparently passed out*

Ugh… She licked my whole face… I’m going to need a napkin or something…

Gross.

*Another time skip happens*

Mmm…

Yeah, you just dropped at one point. It looked like someone pulled your plug.

Oh… Maybe I was more tired than I felt… I don’t normally fall asleep like this…

I guess it’s just spring fever.

Yes, spring fever, and not the multiple bottles of booze she chugged.

Spring fever… Right. Let’s just leave it at that. It’s a much better excuse than saying I was tired from work.

Right. The atmosphere is definitely why you did that stuff…

Did something happen while I was sleeping…?

I wouldn’t say while you were sleeping, more like before. But if you don’t remember, then it’s better that we leave it at that.

What’s with that? Now I need to know.

Don’t worry about that. I’m sure it was an accident.

I’ll be honest, given the outfit you wear, I’m surprised that flashing your underwear isn’t something that happens constantly.

Sure. We’ll go with that.

What does that mean… If you saw them, just say you did. I already know what a perverted little boy you are. Haha…

I am a teenager, you know.

Right, right. I feel much better after that little nap. Let’s go home. I feel like all my stress for the day has been released.

Just glad I could help… Let’s do this again some other time.

Yes. I’ll invite you then.

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. We watched Reone get drunk and throw herself on Itsuki, then he had to wipe her drool off himself and sit around waiting for Reone to wake up from her booze induced coma. Great stuff.

At least we can count on the other Star Maidens to have more normal events. …Okay, so normal might not be the right word. You get what I mean, though. Events where Itsuki and the Maiden get to hold a conversation and share a tender moment together.

~Star God Academy Field~

Hello, Itsuki. Today’s weather is so warm and nice.

Do you have somewhere in mind?

To the mountains for a picnic, or the beach… Oh, seeing flowers is nice too.

As much as I like the mountains, we’ve been there a lot recently. We’ll be heading to the beach in the next event update.

There are so many children though. Chaperoning them would be hard work.

Can we just not take the children, maybe? Unless it’s the Star Children. I’d be fine with taking them somewhere nice. They deserve it.

If you did that, then the teacher wouldn’t really get a chance to enjoy it.

Speaking of, the king put out a decree to hold some flower-viewing festival.

Do you want to try going together? It’s okay to treat yourself sometimes, you know.

Together…? Are you sure?

Of course. Take a break from watching over the children and have some fun of your own.

Come on, Arie. Let loose a bit. We’ve been over this. Also, I’m okay with telling you to let loose because your weapon fetish didn’t turn into something that consumed your entire character.

~Flower-Viewing Spot~

It is pretty awesome. I’m incredibly sad that my planned semester in Japan is going to finish like 1 month before cherry blossom season gets started. Would have loved to see that. I guess I could stop in Vancouver on the way back and see them there, but it’s just not the same…

Yeah. There’s so many flowers blooming.

I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it like this if the children were here.

Yeah, you’re right. Kids do suck.

Do you come here on field trips every year?

Well, I know the flowers here bloomed around this time…

So here’s a weird thing that maybe was caused by translations errors or something. Arie and Itsuki talk like this field of cherry blossom trees has always been here, but Shangri-La only arranges for the flower-viewing after Itsuki’s arrival and Mana’s suggestion. Also, Narcisstes specifically states that he’ll go and look for a plant that is similar to cherry blossoms and then plant a bunch of them in a special location.

Either this is a translation error, a writer error, or Itsuki has indeed been in this world for like 3 or 4 years by this point.

So I do try to bring the children here each year.

I guess I don’t need to tell you about it then, huh?

I take it you went to see flowers bloom like this on Sora? Haha… That makes me happy. It seems our worlds have something in common.

Well… we ate some good food, but we mostly enjoyed the view of the flowers.

It’s true just looking at the flowers like this brings me joy… But Itsuki… my neck is starting to hurt. Is flower-viewing a trial that comes with some pain?

Not any flower-viewing that I’ve ever been to. Maybe you should try and relax a little more.

Phew… I suppose. I think I was tensing up. Looking at the flowers like this brings me great joy.

Yeah… It’s very peaceful.

This feels so strange… Even though I see these flowers every year… they seem so much more calming than before.

It happens to everyone. You get used to your surroundings and just kind of lose the ‘awe’ or wonder from stuff after a while. I tutor ESL students from Asia and the Middle East who are all like “We saw the mountains and there’s so much nature around us and all the animals and landscapes” and I’m like “God, the drive to school everyday sure is boring. I hope this isn’t the day where one of those loving moose runs onto the road and gets me killed in a horrifying car crash.”

Or maybe that’s just a me thing. I do have a terribly negative view on my life after all.

I wonder why… Could it be because I’m with you, Itsuki?

What was that?

No, nothing, nothing at all. Hehe… Spending time like this can be so nice. The wind is warm. It feels so nice…

Yeah. It really is—

…Arie?

Arrrie…?

Looks like she’s asleep. Enjoy your nap, Arie.

Zzz…

She really did need this. I can’t imagine how worn out she would have been if the children were brought along.

Zzz…

I should be careful not to move. I don’t want to wake her.

*Then a time skip happens*

Mm… Phew… Ah, Itsuki…?

Hey. Are you feeling rested?

Did I fall asleep? You should have woken me up…

Sorry. You looked very peaceful. I didn’t want to ruin that.

So you let me sleep?

Of course. You deserve to get some rest.

Thank you, Itsuki. I do feel more refreshed.

Glad to hear it.

Oh, look at the time. We should get going.

Sure thing.

I had so much fun today. It’s all thanks to you, Itsuki.

You’re welcome, Arie.

I’d like to come here next year with you to look at the beautiful flowers again. Oh… I’m sorry…

That’s thoughtful of you. God only knows what’s going to happen to the ending poll once the deadline gets closer. At the moment I’m getting the feeling that there’s a legion of Farun supporters out there that are biding their time for some reason.

No, it’s fine. I would love to do this again next year.

Haha, I see. Then let us come here again.

We shall! Right away, actually.

Except this time with Femiruna.

~Star God Academy Field~

Oh, Itsuki. Did you need something from me?

Yeah. I was wondering if you had some free time.

I cannot seem to find any in good taste that fit my fancy recently. Even when I go shopping, all the color schemes and designs are much too simple.

Yeah, that sure sounds like a dilemma. World could possibly get overrun by invincible monsters at any moment if Itsuki slips and falls or gets blindsided by an Impurity, but sure, keep agonizing about how the local stores haven’t stocked their spring selection.

I seek new and interesting designs. I want to talk directly to the designer.

…Cool. Well, why don’t you take a break from that and go with me to do some flower-viewing?

Flower viewing? Why would I do that?

You’re looking for new and interesting ideas, right? The color of the flowers might be inspiring.

It is also common to extract dyes from flowers. It could be a good opportunity to find some new colors to try out.

I mean, it’s just going to be a lot of pink. It’s beautiful, don’t get me wrong, but unless you’re in to that one color then I don’t know how much inspiration you’re going to find.

Very well. Since you invited me, I shall go with you for this flower viewing. I hope this will help me search for new clothes.

~Flower-Viewing Spot~

It’s pretty, right?

Yes, it is quite wonderful…

…Are you doing okay?

…Oh. I was just enthralled by it all.

Well, I’m glad that you like it.

Itsuki, you made the right decision in bringing me here. You have my compliments. I have made up my mind. The next outfit I purchase will be this color.

It sounds like a great design.

I would like to take one petal back with me to reference this color later.

…Or just slip it into your pocket. You’re just heading back to your house. It’s not like you need to preserve it for a month long journey or anything.

Oh, that would be nice. You seem to be quite on top of things today.

Why are you carrying around a book? Itsuki doesn’t exactly seem like the scholarly type. It’s not one of your porn mags, is it?

I’ve never made a pressed flower before. How do you do so?

Oh, it’s easy. Just take the petal and press down on it with paper. Liike… this! …Oh, wait…

…It crumbled.

Good job, Itsuki. You know that you’re supposed to press them and leave it with some weight on top, right? Like you don’t just slam it in a book and then flip it back open.

The petals are kind of thin, so they fall apart pretty easily.

I cannot entrust you to do this right. I shall do it.

Looks like yours crumbled too.

It’s not rocket science! How are you both so bad at this?

Pressed flowers are difficult to make. I am already tired of it.

No, come on. Don’t give up right away. Let’s try it together this time. Here, I’ll handle the book. You put the petal in.

O-Oh, fine.

Itsuki, I placed it! Now close the book!

Right.

Ahhh! We did it! What a success!

Yay! We succeeded in transferring a flower petal into a book without vaporizing it! Drinks all around!

Now we just need to leave it in there and it should turn out fine.

Hey, you were the one that was practically squealing.

I cannot wait to open the book again. I hope it will be in a good shape.

*A time skip happens*

This will add a breath of fresh air to my closet.

I hope I can see the new outfit when it’s ready.

I suppose I should thank you for bringing me here today. You may bring me to places like this again.

Then get your bikini ready, because we’re going to the beach in the next set of updates.

Well, Itsuki, good day to you.

Nothing wrong with that event, except for how grossly incompetent Femiruna and Itsuki were being in their efforts to gently place a flower petal into a book without destroying it.

~Star God Academy Hallway~

Mmm. It’s so nice and warm today.

Are you going by yourself?

Why do you have to emphasize the “by yourself” part? …But yes, I’m going alone. What of it?

Well, I was wondering if you wanted to have that tea while taking a look at the flowers.

There’s a loving forest of off-brand cherry blossom trees nearby. How the hell did you not notice that sea of pink?

I can show you, if you want. They modeled it off of the cherry blossom festivals from my world.

Oh? A flower viewing like in your world… Now I’m slightly interested. All right. Then take me there. I don’t dislike flowers.

Please. We saw your profile, we already know you love them.

Since that’s decided, you better get ready.

~Flower-Viewing Spot~

King Shangri-La had Narcisstes gather up the flowers and plant them here.

Official Itsuki just says that the king gathered the flowers and had them planted here, but all Shang did was tell Narcisstes to handle it. We may still be incredibly suspicious of Narc and his weird alchemy circle thing in the basement, but credit where credit is due.

They do look a lot like the flowers from my world. I’m surprised they managed to find something that looks so similar.

Oh…? How nice. And we can see these flowers here every year. A-Achoo! What the…? My nose is so itchy all of a sudden…

Could be seasonal allergies.

Th-That’s impossible. I maintain the flower bed year round and this has never happened before…

Yeah, but you’ve never been around these flowers, have you?

Achoo! Achoo! Ugh… Maybe this type of flower and I just don’t get along… Achoo! Ugh… Now my nose is running… D-Don’t look at me.

Here, use my handkerchief.

Isn’t that the point of a handkerchief though? You don’t carry them around as a fashion statement.

You’ve been sneezing into your hands, though. It’s better if you use mine.

Eww. Come on, Ruka, that’s what sleeves are for.

Th-Thanks… I’ll wash it before giving it back to you…

*A time skip happens*

*sigh*… Seems like my sneezing stopped… But now my eyes are tearing up…

They’re selling some sweet tea over there. I’ll get some for you. Maybe that will help.

Thanks… I’ll pay you back later…

Don’t worry about it. We’re rolling in cash right now and will be for the remainder of the game. Honestly, I haven’t sold anything in ages. I’ve probably got at least a million in outdated equipment and items.

*Anyway, it’s teatime*

Mmg… *gulp*… …Wow, that’s really sweet. But it’s good.

Feeling better?

I don’t know. I think… I feel better. But my nose still itches.

It’s too bad that you’re allergic. It must be terrible to not be able to enjoy this.

Hmm… I don’t know why I’m allergic to this flower though.

Hmm… I wonder why.

Maybe it’s because these flowers spread out everywhere?

Speaking of which, these flowers scatter quite quickly.

Yes, that is what Itsuki just said. Are your ears stuffed up as well?

I feel sad when I see that…

That’s true, but they’ll also bloom again next year.

Doesn’t that sound romantic… No point in getting all gloomy. We should just enjoy them for what they are.

Exactly! Jesus, Ruka. Why do you have to be a constant downer? I don’t even think Yuzuha is this bad, and her life is slipping further away every time she takes a nap.

Ah…?! There are two butterflies on your head… How cute…

Really? Should I try and chase them off?

Don’t move. I want to look at them.

Aren’t brightly coloured animals/insects typically absurdly poisonous?

Wow… The wings are transparent. It’s like a scene from another world…

We’re an another— Well actually… I guess technically we are, but Ruka isn’t.

Um, Ruka? You’re getting really close to me…

Just be quiet. Oh… it’s slipping off your head.

Ruka, what exactly are you doing? You do realize that butterflies can fly, right? They aren’t going to plummet to their deaths if they slide off of Itsuki’s head. For that matter, how the hell is a butterfly sliding off of his head in the first place? I’m pretty sure they are fairly good at crawling on things at all angles.

Ruka, could you stop blowing on my face? It tickles…

Oh… Hey, they flew away because you moved. You’re so useless!

You were blowing on them and inching closer! Don’t pin this on Itsuki.

…But those butterflies were pretty. A-Achoo… Hmph… I’m glad my sneeze didn’t get on the butterflies.

That sneeze would have scared them off even if I hadn’t moved. Anyway, I think we should get back home. We don’t want your allergies getting worse.

Yeah… Next time, we should bring sweet tea and look at the butterflies. I don’t mind inviting you to go with me.

So what… my head is like a flower?

Yeah, that’s why you attract butterflies. I’m convinced.

Actually it’s because they are attracted to your sweat, specifically the salt contained in your sweat. :science:

Haha. It seems your carefree personality can be useful sometimes. Anyway, let’s go home.

And that’s all for Ruka. I’ll be honest, these Flower-Viewing events have been getting steadily more boring. Something about them aren’t quite as interesting as stuff like the Starmas events or the Festival.

Mirei is usually good for making things interesting, but we need to check on Farun first. On to Part 2!

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Special Events III: Flower Viewing Part 2 - Capricorn, Libra + Bottom 6 Summaries

Let's get back to it. We'll be one step closer to story progress after this... and also more anime episodes, but let's try and look further ahead and the good stuff rather than the crap.

Oh, Itsuki. It’s getting’ hotter out now.

I just can’t seem to help it.

Well, we wouldn’t be going very far, but if you wanted to travel a little then how about going with me to do some flower viewing?

Oh, the thing the king was advisin’ everyone to do? Yeah, that might be nice. I can’t go too far anyway.

Of course I will.

She’s being oddly normal about it this time. She’s not pleading for it like she usually does when she starts getting stir crazy.

Ahaha. Thanks!

~Flower-Viewing Spot~

Wow… This is so nice…

Do you like it?

Yeah. It’s really pretty.

I beg to differ.

This is something that people in my world do every year.

Oh, really? I see…

Uhhhh… Sort of? Kind of depends on where in the world you go, to be honest.

Well, it’s different. That much I can say. Sometimes the flowers in my world can cover mountains.

Oh, you were specifically talking about the blossoms. In that case then yeah, our world blows Granvania out of the loving water.

Look at this majestic poo poo.

Wow… So that’s what your world is like… You have tons of beautiful sceneries, right? There must be so much stuff there I don’t know ‘bout. How nice… I’d like to go someday…

Itsuki, we’ve been over this. Stop encouraging young women to abandon their families and follow some teenaged boy to another dimension.

…Thanks. I’ll be so happy if we do go one day.

You’re being a lot more gentle than usual today.

Well yeah. I get like this when I see beautiful scenery. Hehe.

Huh. It’s weird to see the game address Farun’s weird personality swings.

So I guess I should say this again. If ya do take me to your world, I’d be so happy. …

We’ll see what happens, Farun. As of writing, you’re still somehow sitting at 0 votes in the poll. Let’s revisit that possibility when/if you manage to work your way into the Top 6.

…Why do you have your eyes closed?

…Hm? I’m just soakin’ in the scenery.

That’s why I’m tryin’ to imprint this scenery into my mind. Don’t ya do the same? Or is it just me? Hehe.

No, it’s not just you. But usually when you are trying to take in the beauty of something, you… you know, look at it.

Seeing you like this, it really drives home just how much traveling you’ve done in your life.

Ahaha. I hope ya also understand how great travelin’ can be. …Someday, I wanna go travelin’ with ya. We’d really go places. What do ya think?

It sounds like a great idea.

Hehe. Oh. I just thought of somethin’. I’m imaginin’ what it’d be like to travel with ya.

An’ of course, we’d run into tons of trouble. That’s just a spice to travelin’.

Whoa, hold up. Trouble? …Farun, is there some adrenaline junkie aspect that you are hiding from us (and the game’s profile pages)?

We’d walk together an’ see sceneries we’ve never seen before… That’d be so nice… It really would.

I hope we can experience that someday.

Yeah. …Oh, I know. Let’s go on a trip.

What, now?

…You mean every path?

You mean that row of cherry trees over there?

I repeat: You mean every path?

Is that the official name? Anyway, let’s go there. Let’s walk from edge to edge of the row of cherry trees. I wanna call that our journey together. We’ll walk slowly while lookin’ at the scenery.

Well… that does sound nice.

Yeah. Let’s take a journey through those cherry trees. Wait, didn’t that sound really poetic? Ahaha. Let’s go. We can walk slowly.

Good stuff. Let’s finish up with Mirei in the hopes that she will do something weird or crazy that will spice things up. I don’t mind these sweet events, but honestly I’m getting a little bored with them considering how many we’ve been seeing lately. We need some drama up in here… or at the very least something we can all point and laugh at or otherwise roast.

I said ”all”. We’re getting back to you, Anime. Calm down. The next trio of episodes is after the beach events… and also after the dungeon… possibly after I gently caress around a little with some kind of side thing… the point is that we’ll watch the next three sometime between now and the end of the LP. I promise.

You… You take days off?

Reone gave me this warning as medical advice:

Aww… Mirei cares enough about Reone’s friendship that she stopped her research.

Just how much work were you doing to make her say that…

But even if she told me to rest, there’s nothing else I want to do.

We could go flower viewing. What do you think?

Hm… I don’t get how seeing some flowers would be productive…

Great. Then let’s head out now.

~Flower-Viewing Spot~

…Mirei? Could you not glare at the flowers like that?

Then what am I supposed to do?

Reone, you already had your turn. What are you doing back here?

…Who’s that man making such a ruckus in his underwear?

Oh, right. Blue text box, so not a woman. My mistake. Sorry for assuming it was you, Reone.

Also, gross…

Is that the proper thing to do here? Should I take my clothes off too?

Please keep your clothes on, Mirei. No, that’s not what you’re supposed to do during flower viewing. He’s causing trouble for everyone else.

[Drunkard]: Muahahaha! More booze! Booooooze!

Now we’re talking. Do it, Mirei. I’m sure it’ll be interesting to see.

Hang on, don’t confront him on your own. I should go with you.

There’s no need for that. You stay here and look at the flowers.

I can’t do that. If you’re going, then I’m going.

Very well. Do as you wish.

*Let’s ruin this guy’s buzz*

…Hey, you there.

Shut your mouth.

That was a pretty direct warning… Then again, I guess direct is kind of your thing.

[Drunkard]: The hell did you say to me? Whassit to ta?

You’re annoying.

Are you stupid? Because I detest morons.

What is this, grade school? Come on, Mirei. You can do better than that.

I thought you were going to shut him up? This is more like provoking him.

I don’t have a problem with you drinking, just do so quietly. That’s all. Let’s go, Itsuki.

[Drunkard]: Wait right there! Ya think I’ll let ya walk away after tha’?

Of course not. You’re a Granvanian. Being a jackass is in your nature, so obviously this was going to escalate. It’s what I’ve been banking on.

You think an idiot like you stands a chance against me?

[Drunkard]: drat yoooouuu!

Hey! Don’t you even think about touching her!

[Drunkard]: The hell’re you? I’m talkin’ to that woman, notchu.

Yes, Itsuki. There’s no need for you to get involved.

Yeah, keep your nose out of this Itsuki. I want to see what Mirei has up her sleeve.

I can’t just stand by. I want to protect you.

You… You are so persistent. I’ll be fine.

Maybe so, but I don’t want you to be put in danger.

…Heh. Fine. I appreciate your concern.

[Drunkard]: Hey! Don’ ignore me! Stop talkin’ to yerselves!

Oh, apologies for ignoring you. So, are you going to drink quietly or not?

[Drunkard]: The hell’s that mean?!

Here.

[Drunkard]: Huh? Whassis? A seed…?

Yeeessss.

[Drunkard]: Uwaaahhh! Monsteerrr!

…He ran away. I suppose that should sober him up.

That was fun. I would have preferred it if the plant had bitten off an arm or something, though.

…What? gently caress the people of Granvania. You know what I’m about. This place sucks.

Mirei? Did you really make a monster?

It’s a plant I made with Star Energy. It’s rather cute once you get to know it.

Technically?

I don’t think this is the same thing.

I see. Then teach me the proper way to view these flowers. Oh, Itsuki. Take that flower with you please.

…What? What do you expect me to do with it?

Thank you.

*Mirei wanders off*

H-Hey! Mirei! Don’t just walk away!

:unsmith: I missed Mad Scientist Mirei.

Anyway, that’s it for everyone the thread cares about. Now for the rest.

In Mahiru’s flower event, Itsuki finds her sleeping under a tree by the Academy Field. Mahiru apparently fell asleep reading a novel from Granvania. Itsuki asks her to go flower viewing and she sort of waffles on it a bit before Itsuki prods her into going.

At the flower viewing spot, Mahiru is enjoying the sight of the flower trees and Itsuki mentions something interesting. Apparently these are cherry blossoms. Itsuki says that a previous God’s Gift had been carrying a cherry tree seedling when he was brought over (which… how?). Mahiru then asks Itsuki how much he knows about “the floriography of cherry blossoms”. She says that they mean “purity” and “superb beauty”, which sounds about right but I know nothing about flower arrangement so I can’t tell you if that’s accurate or not. Anyway, Mahiru figures that maybe the God’s Gift had been carrying it in order to give to someone as a gift. She also says that if that’s the case, then she feels sorry for him because he didn’t get the chance to give the gift.

Itsuki then spots some space under one of the trees and there’s a brief fade to black that I think might be an Old Mahiru cut, because when it fades back, Mahiru is talking about how Itsuki doesn’t seem interest in romance novels. Then there’s another fade to black, although I think this one is a time skip. When it comes back, Mahiru is admiring the spot they managed to secure under the tree. Mahiru plans to keep reading while Itsuki plans on a nap, so Mahiru offers to let him rest his head on her lap. She says not to overthink it, but Itsuki blurts out that it feels like they’re newlyweds. Mahiru just finds that funny though. Mahiru then proposes that she charge him for the nap-lap and says that if it’s a transaction then people won’t mistake them for being lovers.

Another fade to black. Itsuki settles in and falls asleep with his head on Mahiru’s lap. By the way, is that really especially comfortable? Always seemed like just laying down flat would be better than cocking your head at a weird angle. I get the “romantic” aspect to it, but not the comfort part. Oh well. Itsuki later wakes up, realizing that he had completely fallen asleep. He finds that Mahiru had also fallen asleep, and she starts sleep mumbling about how many hours Itsuki owes her for. Itsuki offers to carry her back home, which she agrees to because she’s still sleepy. On the way, Mahiru mentions making her lap pillow free of charge for today, even though that does away with the “we’re not lovers” thing.

Itsuki finds Yuzuha standing on the Academy Field inhaling the scent of the flowers. He asks her why she’s just smelling them and Yuzuha replies that she was hoping it would help her dream more about raining flowers. Yuzuha apparently loves stuff falling from the sky, whether it be snow, feathers, or etc. Itsuki asks if she just wants to go flower viewing instead of trying to smell them from a distance, but Yuzuha says that she doesn’t like the idea of going into big crowds. Itsuki convinces her to at least scope things out and that if there are too many people then they would just go home. Yuzuha agrees with that idea and they both head off.

At the flower viewing location, Yuzuha seems to be captivated by the pretty sights. She asks if Itsuki likes this colour and he asks why she wants to know. She then says that it’s because hers are the same colour, which--

No, it wasn’t the “best” choice, but I prefer this to the alternative responses. We all know that this is a case of Yuzuha talking about something else but deliberately phrasing it in a way that makes the player think of dirty things.

So yeah, she quickly reveals that she’s talking about rice balls, which she somehow managed to turn pink. Anyway, Yuzuha and Itsuki take a break to eat the rice balls, after which Yuzuha starts asking about the flowers. Itsuki isn’t sure what they call them here in Granvania, but he says that they are called cherry blossoms in his world. Yuzuha thinks they are pretty, but also thinks there’s something sad about them. I guess we’re going to follow along with Ruka and make this depressing after all.

Yuzuha starts apologizing for bringing down the mood, but Itsuki reassures her. Yuzuha talks a little about how composed and optimistic Itsuki always seems, which even Itsuki thinks is wildly off the mark. Even still, Yuzuha believes it’s true. After a time skip, Yuzuha and Itsuki both decide to head home because more people are arriving and Yuzuha is not cool with that. She did have a good time though, so at least there’s that.

Sue’s event is going to be a bummer too. The title of the drat thing is “Seeing flowers is sad” for god’s sake. Here I thought Ruka was being the weird one. Anyway, Itsuki finds Sue out on her ranch and asks if she had any plans for the day. Sue doesn’t really know what flower viewing is, so Itsuki explains it, but Sue is not into it.

Itsuki offers to take her someplace else, if she wants. Sue then asks him why he wants to go flower viewing so badly and Itsuki responds that he just wanted to go with her to do it. Sue then changes her mind after seeing how much Itsuki wants to go with her. She says that she always gives attention to her animals when they want it, which says a lot about how she sees Itsuki in this case. Sue then says that she’s never spent much time looking at flowers because they make her sad. She also asks Itsuki to stay close, because she might start crying at any time.

At the flower viewing spot, Sue doesn’t seem too worse for wear. Itsuki asks what it is about the flowers that normally makes her feel so sad, but Sue doesn’t quite have an explanation for it. It just reminds her of people going away. She thinks that she might be all right at the moment because Itsuki is there with her. A bunch of petals then wind up on Itsuki and Sue starts picking them off. She also mentions that Itsuki is like an animal that needs a bunch of attention. Either way, Sue seems to be enjoying it and there’s a brief time skip, after which she thanks him for inviting her out. The event ends with her saying that she wants to do this again with him.

Collette’s event opens with her talking about how Spring is the season for new meetings and that she’s looking forward to meeting new customers. She then says that it’s time for her to start Collette’s Sweet Roll Festival. It basically just means that she’s going to sell bread at the flower viewing spot. Collette ropes Itsuki into going with her and says that if they sell everything then he’ll get the pleasure of taking her arm. In a romantic way I mean, not like a Mortal Kombat kind of way… although…

Itsuki asks her what kind of bread they’re selling, and Collette tells him that it’s red bean bread which Collette made in the shape of flowers. Collette has Itsuki taste one to show him how sweet she is. They then get to work on selling it, which means a time skip.

The bread sells out, which causes Collette to say that she should have made a lot more. Itsuki is fine with it though, because it means that they can enjoy the festival now. However, Collette is sleepy because she was up at 3am in order to bake. This leads to another “lap pillow” moment. Itsuki takes a seat and Collette settles in, then passes out immediately.

After a quick nap, Collette is feeling well enough to fish for compliments, as she is known to do. She then says that they should do this again next year.

In Lillith/Lillie’s event, Lillith starts us off by asking Itsuki for a favour. She wants to go flower viewing with him, obviously. Lillith closed her shop for the day in order to have time for it. She also mentions that she’ll bring lunch (hopefully without Golden Apples this time).

At the flower viewing spot, Lillith talks about how pretty it is and how relaxing looking at flowers can be. Unfortunately, something is worrying her. Namely, when Lillith relaxes, she gets very relaxed. She thinks that would be boring for Itsuki, but Itsuki is down for that. They then have a little playful argument as to who likes to relax more. Lillith then breaks out the lunch she brought for the two of them. Lillith says that her cooking still isn’t great, but Itsuki goes for an omelet and thinks it’s just fine.

Itsuki starts pigging out and Lillith stops him to pick a piece of rice off of his face. Then she feeds it to him, which Itsuki finds a little embarrassing even though this is like the fifth time he’s had one of the Star Maidens feed him by hand. Lillith is jazzed about finally doing the “say ah technique”… which I kind of thought she had done before, but maybe I’m just mixing her up with one of the other Maidens that also did this. Itsuki suddenly gets serious and Lillith starts getting shy because of how he’s looking at her, but Itsuki points out that there’s something black on her shoulder. Lillith sees that it’s a caterpillar and freaks the gently caress out and faint.

Itsuki tells Lillie that Lillith was freaking out because there was a caterpillar on her. Surprisingly (to Itsuki, I mean. The audience knows what Lillie’s deal is by this point), Lillie brings the caterpillar over to a nearby tree and gently sets it down while pretending to be pissed off at it. She says that it would be gross if it was left alone and someone wound up stepping on it. You know the deal from this point on. Itsuki thinks it’s really considerate of Lillie, Lillie gets pissed off and tells him that it’s not like that, she tells him not to misunderstand, and then she blushes because she’s flustered.

After that, Lillie asks what the two of them were doing and Itsuki explains. Lillie thinks flower viewing sounds pretty boring, but she rejects the idea of just going home. She asks if all she has to do is lay down and look at flowers, but then immediately passes out when she does. Itsuki goes to pick a flower petal off her face, which causes Lillie to wake up again and lose her poo poo because she thought Itsuki was trying to do something perverted to her. Itsuki says that’s not what it was about and points out the petal, Lillie blushes a bit as he picks it off of her, then Lillie talks about how careless it was for her to fall asleep in front of Itsuki because he’s totally the type that would do lewd things and blah blah blah.

gently caress Lillie. I don’t care if you like her. She’s terrible.

Anyway, the event ends with Lillie running off and shouting at everyone about how perverted Itsuki is.

Never thought I’d be thankful for a Tarua event. Itsuki finds Tarua at the Academy Field and she tells him that she’s finished all her deliveries for the day. That means Tarua has free time and she wants to use it to play with Itsuki (which means she wants to run. She says that by the way, I’m not making a joke). Itsuki questions why they always have to go running whenever Tarua wants to play and instead convinces her to go flower viewing instead. Tarua is pumped for that, even though she has no sweet clue what flower viewing is. She gets bummed out about it when she hears that it involves staying still. Even still, Tarua still wants to go. She basically drags Itsuki along like she’s a dog on a leash. That comparison will be more apt than you think.

At the flower viewing spot, Tarua amuses herself by kicking up the scattered flower petals as they walk. She thinks it would look even better if they ran through them instead. Itsuki tries to stop her, but she bolts before he can reign her in.

Itsuki says he’s having fun watching her run around and kick up a whirlwind of petals, so Tarua throws a ball to him to try and make it more fun. Itsuki suggests that maybe they could slow down a little bit and look at the flowers, but Tarua is insistent on this “go fetch” thing. Itsuki throws the ball a few times and Tarua runs off to bring it back. Eventually Itsuki sees Tarua running back in a panic and she tells him that the ball hit a beehive. Tarua darts off and Itsuki tries to protect her. Eventually things die down and Tarua says that she managed to not get stung. Itsuki says that he got stung on the cheek, which prompts Tarua to start licking him. Either way, Tarua had fun and wants to do flower viewing again some day.

Good stuff. That does it for the flower viewing. It was… well it was something. I’ll say that much. I can’t put my finger on why I thought it was fairly boring, but I definitely didn’t enjoy these as much as previous events, like the Festival or Starmas. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that the events were more about the scenery than the characters, if that makes sense.

Whatever, it’s beach time next. At the very least there will be no shortage of stuff to talk about during those, what with all of the swimsuit critiques that we can do while simultaneously knowing that we’d never look even a tenth as good in them as the Star Maidens. Or maybe that’s just me projecting.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Psycho Knight posted:

Well, I know the flowers here bloomed around this time…

So here’s a weird thing that maybe was caused by translations errors or something. Arie and Itsuki talk like this field of cherry blossom trees has always been here, but Shangri-La only arranges for the flower-viewing after Itsuki’s arrival and Mana’s suggestion. Also, Narcisstes specifically states that he’ll go and look for a plant that is similar to cherry blossoms and then plant a bunch of them in a special location.

Either this is a translation error, a writer error, or Itsuki has indeed been in this world for like 3 or 4 years by this point.

So I do try to bring the children here each year.

So the only curiosity here is that (in Japanese) when this event is introduced Narcisstes doesn't say he's going to plant the trees as such, just that he's going to 'gather them together' or something to that effect - essentially what Itsuki says at the start of Ruka's event. Given that, you could almost pass this off as 'the trees were always in this vague area, just spread out, and were replanted closer together' but Ruka also contradicts this by saying she doesn't usually see these flowers around this area. Not sure you can entirely reconcile this.

I'll have to review a Mahiru scene when I find one but the Plus one sounds suspiciously lovey-dovey so I imagine it was rewritten.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Polsy posted:

So the only curiosity here is that (in Japanese) when this event is introduced Narcisstes doesn't say he's going to plant the trees as such, just that he's going to 'gather them together' or something to that effect - essentially what Itsuki says at the start of Ruka's event. Given that, you could almost pass this off as 'the trees were always in this vague area, just spread out, and were replanted closer together' but Ruka also contradicts this by saying she doesn't usually see these flowers around this area. Not sure you can entirely reconcile this.

I'll have to review a Mahiru scene when I find one but the Plus one sounds suspiciously lovey-dovey so I imagine it was rewritten.

It's weird in a few ways. Mahiru’s event tells us that a God’s Gift brought a cherry tree seedling with him, which is how there are cherry blossoms in Granvania, but this is contradicted by Narcisstes and Mana not having any idea what these things are. Narcisstes says he is going to search for a plant that is similar to cherry blossoms. Also, as you pointed out, Ruka (who is a flower/plant lover) says that she doesn’t see flowers in this area normally. If a God’s Gift brought a seedling with him, then it would have had to have been planted in Granvania, because him and the Star Maidens are restricted from going elsewhere in the world until the world is fixed.

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

Wow, this was surprisingly depressing for flower viewing of all things. Regardless, I'm not surprised to see the game couldn't keep the events straight as to whether or not the trees were already here.

I don't know if you've ever seen Japanese Maples, but they have a habit of being a dark violet color late in the year. I always thought they looked nice in an exotic sort of way, although I can't imagine they're easy to grow. My experience still leans towards garden flowers.

Glad to see the updates have started again, even if the next one is a beach event.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I don't know if you've ever seen Japanese Maples, but they have a habit of being a dark violet color late in the year. I always thought they looked nice in an exotic sort of way, although I can't imagine they're easy to grow. My experience still leans towards garden flowers.

They're not any worse than most trees but the big thing with them is they grow a lot slower than many other breeds. Meaning they are vulnerable to easy damage.

They're a popular bonsai choice for this reason.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

I've seen them, but I haven't seen them. They are definitely pretty, but I think they're only in season around April or May, something like that. I could see them in the fall, but (and this in no way means I am diminishing their beauty) since I live in Canada I am very used to seeing maple trees in the fall.

Mokinokaro posted:

They're not any worse than most trees but the big thing with them is they grow a lot slower than many other breeds. Meaning they are vulnerable to easy damage.

They're a popular bonsai choice for this reason.

Now the bonsai version of these, I'd be down for seeing one of those. I know they can be grown, but I honestly do not have the time or expertise to devote to doing that.

Glad to see the updates have started again, even if the next one is a beach event.

The beach events don't seem to be all that bad from what I gathered from dialogue choices. Ruka is the only one that gets a CG and it will probably require a TCG appearance, but it's nothing suggestive. They mostly just seem like "fun at the beach" events.

We've also seen some of the swimsuits already and they haven't been overly skimpy. I think Sue's is the worst one, but that might simply be because of how they used it for that "cosplay" part of her route that I thought was sort of tonally inconsistent.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think the characters are at their best when they're not acting like their stereotyped personality.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

I think the characters are at their best when they're not acting like their stereotyped personality.

Anime or Zodiac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FalloutFan56
Jan 3, 2020
You brought up how money isn't an issue by this point in the game and that reminded me. Are they ever going to resolve that whole "thief stole all your money" thing from the beginning of the game?