Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I rarely pack mind shields (commander difficulty) except for dedicated warlock hunting or whenever I'm sending skirmishers and rangers into the final battle. Usually by the time I'm getting into mag weapons I've reached the point where there is almost always going to be a dead advent soldier around at the end of my turn for any sectoids to try and revive and they tend to go for that really reliably versus a mindspin. The only other unit I can think of offhand that can even attempt mind control (besides the chosen) would be Gatekeepers and unfortunately the developers didn't see fit to try and balance them at all against EMP grenades* and so those will just always work incredibly well on anything that could pose a genuine threat.

*One obvious balance change I might have made would have been to increase the utility of poison grenades a bit by having them be the silver bullet for gatekeepers and I'd leave EMP grenades for being useful against most of the other major threats. As is when I hit the late game victory lap I barely even glance at the unit composition I'm expecting to encounter because it's all just mooks with either a sectopod or a gatekeeper standing near the back somewhere and EMP grenades work wonders against both of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Is there a mod that replaces the mind shield with a tinfoil hat?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

reignofevil posted:

I rarely pack mind shields (commander difficulty) except for dedicated warlock hunting or whenever I'm sending skirmishers and rangers into the final battle. Usually by the time I'm getting into mag weapons I've reached the point where there is almost always going to be a dead advent soldier around at the end of my turn for any sectoids to try and revive and they tend to go for that really reliably versus a mindspin. The only other unit I can think of offhand that can even attempt mind control (besides the chosen) would be Gatekeepers and unfortunately the developers didn't see fit to try and balance them at all against EMP grenades* and so those will just always work incredibly well on anything that could pose a genuine threat.

*One obvious balance change I might have made would have been to increase the utility of poison grenades a bit by having them be the silver bullet for gatekeepers and I'd leave EMP grenades for being useful against most of the other major threats. As is when I hit the late game victory lap I barely even glance at the unit composition I'm expecting to encounter because it's all just mooks with either a sectopod or a gatekeeper standing near the back somewhere and EMP grenades work wonders against both of them.

yeah I didn't gently caress with them much on commander either but I found them more necessary on legend

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Just a random thought but if they had the budget to do the 4th faction/chosen would the robot faction leader be voiced by Brent Spiner and the hero by Levar Burton? Or vice versa?

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Monkey posted:

Is there a mod that replaces the mind shield with a tinfoil hat?

there is a cosmetic one in the mod fancy dress party, I think.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Fourth faction would obviously be a splinter group of sectoids from the first war, so tiny and not the 2 hybrid ones. Communicate trough telepathy and their xcom one noises

Faction soldiers can moonlight as scientists when researching alien tech or engineers in certain facilities.

In combat have pistols and primarily minor psionic abilities. Further soldier abilities increase psionic potential, provide support, affect loot / mission timers / scouting through insider knowledge, or gradually add mechanical capabilities until eventually becoming a full Mechtoid.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
It would be a huge pain and I know why they didn't, but reworking Sparks into the 4th faction (and buffing them a bit) would make a lot of sense if you integrated them.

Call the faction a set of machine intelligences from pre-invasion and you contact them or something, while the Chosen is a juiced up Spectre or something.

E: vvvv sure, or repurpose a lot of the plot/ideas from Shen's Last Gift.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 4, 2020

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

X-com's desperate invasion-era gambit: attempt to fight back against the aliens: Unleashing skynet?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Was there ever a plan for a fourth Chosen? Seems like a heavily-armored, machine gun and explosives toting Chosen is a logical mirror to the four main classes and four (planned) factions

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ninjahedgehog posted:

Was there ever a plan for a fourth Chosen? Seems like a heavily-armored, machine gun and explosives toting Chosen is a logical mirror to the four main classes and four (planned) factions

Yes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/6xnxhq/there_may_have_originally_been_four_chosen_planned/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/8wrkt9/cut_ending_of_the_android_faction_in_war_of_the/

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
When hte HECK are there xcom games coming to the switch? I know XCOM2 might but i want literally all of them because i stink

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Decided to put a bit more investment into Psychics in my latest playthrough of WotC, and took two Magus into the final mission along with one of each of the standard classes...

That turned out to be a very easy mission. Things ain't too hard when you're triple void lancing, triple storming, and mind controling gate keepers. Turn of the match though would have to go to my Sharpshooter, who thanks to the Hunter's rifle, blue screen rounds, and chainshot, manage to take out 4 MECs and 2 Snakes in a turn, and could have kept going.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

AppleDan posted:

When hte HECK are there xcom games coming to the switch? I know XCOM2 might but i want literally all of them because i stink

Apparently, the game Hard West is very much like XCOM but in the wild west.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FoolyCharged posted:

The game wants you to level every map with rockets. Or to build an army of punch robots.

Scorch the earth.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Judging by how ramshackle the ps4 port to 2 was, I don’t think you really want it on Swirch. Enemy within, maybe.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Mesadoram posted:

It's really bad

XCOM 2 won't come to Switch because it barely runs on PCs.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

It's really bad

It's incredible that the only good xcom-like is goddamn Mario vs. Rabbids, but at least that's on Switch already.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Xcom 2 still to this day maxes out my gpu to 100 all of the time even while I have fully tabbed out of the game and when I'm just in the avenger or menus while doing so lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Remember when you had to like slam on the escape key over and over to get the avenger loading screen to finish?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

Xcom 2 still to this day maxes out my gpu to 100 all of the time even while I have fully tabbed out of the game and when I'm just in the avenger or menus while doing so lol

My laptop's power block became painfully hot to touch during the final mission.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PantsBandit posted:

Remember when you had to like slam on the escape key over and over to get the avenger loading screen to finish?

Caps lock key, but yeah, it was that or wait FOREVER.

Getting an SSD made this game so much better, I used to dread having a mission pop up sometimes because of the loading.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Caps lock key, but yeah, it was that or wait FOREVER.

Getting an SSD made this game so much better, I used to dread having a mission pop up sometimes because of the loading.

having this game on my SSD was awesome until war of the chosen came out and i found out it wouldn't fit on my SSD with the base game, which was EVEN MORE AWESOME when i found out that because it started downloading the expansion i then was locked out of transferring the game off of my SSD to make more room or actually in fact do anything to my SSD while steam was insisting it was writing to it, and also wouldnt let me cancel the download, forcing me to uninstall the game and download the entire loving thing again

my midnight launch plan turned into slowly downloading the game over five hours as the steam servers were hammered. what a dumb combination of events.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bug Squash posted:

My laptop's power block became painfully hot to touch during the final mission.

My desktop began to overheat and the the drivers started to fail

The ethereals tried real hard to psi lance it to death

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

PantsBandit posted:

It's really bad

That actually makes me super sad to hear. I was waiting for it to go on Sale :smith:.

I remember reading somewhere on Reddit that XCOM 2 for the switch was like trade marked or something.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mesadoram posted:

That actually makes me super sad to hear. I was waiting for it to go on Sale :smith:.

I remember reading somewhere on Reddit that XCOM 2 for the switch was like trade marked or something.

its coming out the same day as persona 5 on switch. edit: i don't want that to come off like i am being mean to you, more it's a joke that you should not trust rumors from the nintendo switch reddit about ports

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 5, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Alchenar posted:

Anyone made the plunge on Broken Lines?

I did and it's not very good. Very clunky, very difficult to plan a grenade throw or anything like that since movement is simultaneous. Not terrible but I wouldn't recommend it.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

rabidsquid posted:

its coming out the same day as persona 5 on switch. edit: i don't want that to come off like i am being mean to you, more it's a joke that you should not trust rumors from the nintendo switch reddit about ports

I did not take it that way at all lol. But yeah, I tend to take Reddit with a grain of salt.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Mesadoram posted:

Hard West can ACTUALLY lick my balls, it's what non-xcom players think xcom is.

Also I acknowledged that 2 was coming out on the switch but i dont want it, I want UFO Defense and Enemy Unknown

The Velvet Witch fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 6, 2020

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hard West is good, actually.

But also, it's got some significant differences to XCOM, like for example you don't have an actual percentage chance to hit, you've just gotta have what is listed as your percentage chance to hit exceed their luck. And if you do, and successfully shoot them, their luck goes back up again.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hard West is Not Good and is tedious and shallow. Phantom Doctrine on the other hand has some issues but has a good twist on the XCOM formula and is well worth picking up on sale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kFfXMXiYKk]

e: PD is the follow on game to HD from the same devs. Fixes a lot of the problems.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 6, 2020

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hard West is extremely flavorful and worth playing

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I haven't played Hard West since a while after it came out but I remember the bonus campaigns being a lot better than the main campaign, I enjoyed the one where the devil keeps giving you alphabet boys. It's definitely hamstrung by the AI being extremely bad, and the player gets some ridiculously overpowered moves in addition to that. It's like if XCOM 2 gave you a squad of reapers and the enemies were composed of 90% basic advent troops who refuse to move.

So to put it another way, Hard West is fun when you're still discovering new things in it but it's like a game you play for 10 hours or so instead of the pretty much unlimited amount of enjoyable hours you could squeeze out of XCOM/XCOM 2.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sounds about right, I put 10-15 hours into it before xcom2 came out, enjoyed it, but haven't picked it back up

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...I think I'm *actually mad*.

I have a Cassie Cage soldier in my pool. I took her on a mission, and she ended up punching out a flying bug monster (I have the unarmed attacks, and The Hive mods). Then, during the randomized post-mission photo... she was dabbing.

I don't know what I expected when I named a soldier "Cassie Cage", but god dammit, I was not expecting it to actually act like her.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Bolt Caster utterly fails at the one purpose of a stake gun, which is to impale enemy corpses on the walls and floor. Is there a mod to fix that?

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
Just started playing Xcom 2 as my first Xcom game, is saving every couple of rounds and reloading after a dead recruit/bad turn/missed 80% shot the correct way to play the game or am I being too pedantic?
I'm getting a lot of my dudes out gravely wounded and having to hire more recruits, will that screw me over in the long run having too many recruits?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A lot of people see ironman as the one true way to play the game. Play smart, minimize risks, have a plan so that you're not totally screwed if when you miss an 80% shot.

(You want to know how often you'll miss an 80% shot? 20% of the time.)

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Mantari posted:

Just started playing Xcom 2 as my first Xcom game, is saving every couple of rounds and reloading after a dead recruit/bad turn/missed 80% shot the correct way to play the game or am I being too pedantic?
I'm getting a lot of my dudes out gravely wounded and having to hire more recruits, will that screw me over in the long run having too many recruits?

I mean it's a video game so play however you find fun, I would say the ultimate goal for most people is to be able to play while never reloading and just reloading when you have to because of misclicks or bugs. The game is fairly forgiving about blowing a few missions or having to evac.

Getting soldiers wounded is normal and not a big deal just try not to get them killed.

If you have time to watch videos I really like this guy's video series, he's pretty good and plays very fast and fast forwards through his sort of dead time so it's not nearly as big of a commitment to watch as some people's playthroughs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shk74dVLVJA

You can see even on legend it's very doable to kill everything in the same turn you reveal it and to not pull more than one pod too often, those should be your main concerns.

A lot of it does require learning what your priority threats are and some of it is counterintuitive.

Like you may go oh the sectoid has a lot of HP and it's a big bad alien that must be worse than these random advent trooper grunts, but that's not actually true, the sectoid will more or less waste a turn as long as it can't get a flank on you to shoot so you want to kill the grunts first. Things like that.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

You can't just get into a long range fire fight with aliens in XCOM2, you need to be flanking and always having a backup plan for when you miss a 95% shot(because you will. a lot). This means people get injured and die sometimes. That is XCOM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Going "what happens if i do this?", saving, giving it a shot and reloading if it goes horribly wrong is a great way to learn how the game works. I save scummed like crazy when I first started.