Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anyone having issues with rifles should use the M1A classic. I'm hitting for 500k before Focus and Composure are taken into account.

Make sure its the M1A Classic as the others hit for like half damage.

IMO I should be seeing 450k for non-classics and 420k for Mk17 for them to be a good alternative. 400k on SiG716. Currently they are in the lower 300k range which is not competitive.

Lucky Shot is recommended as a gun talent until you're comfortable enough to go for Rifleman or Boomerang for more damage at the cost of having to deal with the small mag size.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Locator posted:

I was just using the rifle as example damage. I also have been running an AR, and before swapping to try out the rifle, LMG. All of them are having trouble knocking drones down.

I enjoy the aim/fire play of the rifle, but it would certainly be nice if they did more damage. I forget what rifle I have (SSR something maybe?), but it's the only yellow/40 one I've found so it may be far from the best one.

that might be a marksman rifle then? SVD and Mk 20 SSR are the semiauto snipers, and the SVD is the usable one

for regular rifles you really want a classic M1A if you can find one.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Psion posted:

that might be a marksman rifle then? SVD and Mk 20 SSR are the semiauto snipers, and the SVD is the usable one

Thanks, I'll take a look when I get on next time. Fairly sure it's a rifle, if not I have hopelessly screwed up with my spec points to boost it's damage.. lol..

Dandywalken posted:

Thank you for this, I will keep my eyes open for one.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So does anyone know if the DOT from Pestilence count as a status effect for the Wicked talent (or other similar ones)? That'd make a pretty neat build...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Anyone having issues with rifles should use the M1A classic. I'm hitting for 500k before Focus and Composure are taken into account.

IMO I should be seeing 450k for non-classics and 420k for Mk17 for them to be a good alternative. 400k on SiG716. Currently they are in the lower 300k range which is not competitive.

Lucky Shot is recommended as a gun talent until you're comfortable enough to go for Rifleman or Boomerang for more damage at the cost of having to deal with the small mag size.

This is the gun I have, and I love Lucky Shot so much. I know I could do even more damage but being able to effectively spray an area without needing to worry about reloading has been nice. The extra mag size is just a bonus for me

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Any place to get a good synopsis on what the story was? I skipped Coney and was trying to figured out why everything happened beyond Division bad. We don’t like them?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Psion posted:

I just logged in and it's and ACR SS that I'm using because it's the only rifle I've found at level 40. I knew it had an 'SS' in there somewhere!

Hopefully will find the M1A Classic eventually.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Weebly posted:

Any place to get a good synopsis on what the story was? I skipped Coney and was trying to figured out why everything happened beyond Division bad. We don’t like them?

Decent summary here, straight from Ubisoft.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
So apparently you can't add skills with the Perfectly modifier from items. I had a named backpack with Perfectly Wicked and I can't add it to my library.

I can confirm I was able to strip a skill from a named item, so perfect skills can't be added to the library.

koshmar fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 8, 2020

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Honestly the TTK is one of the very few things they have to fix for me to have 100% fun with this expansion. I love it a lot, especially the new area and new loot, but the sponginess and 'not giving a gently caress' AI really takes me out of it when decently punching gear is not even having reds or purples flinch on Global Hard.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

koshmar posted:

So apparently you can't add skills with the Perfectly modifier from items. I had a named backpack with Perfectly Wicked and I can't add it to my library.

I can confirm I was able to strip a skill from a named item, so perfect skills can't be added to the library.

Yeah this is the way it was previously too, with named items. The best way to do names items is if you get one with a “perfect” talent then recalibrate a max perk onto it that works with the build you want. If you get lucky you can have two max perks and a perfect talent on that piece of gear.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The TTK problem is twofold, really. To do an appreciable damage as a DPS build, you basically need to focus entirely on red cores and stack headshot, crit chance and crit damage. We've come entirely full circle back to the launch meta. Of course, with enemy damage also tuned up, it basically means you're made of paper and 1 or 2 stray hits is enough to put you down.

Then there's also group scaling, which is wildly out of tune. With a tank using bulwark shield and 3 DPS focused players, 4 player challenging is still kind of a slog but doable. 4 player Heroic becomes loving obnoxiously silly when you're just emptying belt after belt from an LMG into an yellow bar foot soldier while they walk up to you with their sideways held SMG and loving blast you in 1 hit.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
Bought Warlords today but wont get a chance to play it till I'm off work.
I was running a skill build before so I'm super curious what everyone thinks of the new abilities!

I'm planning on switching heal drone/firestarter for shock traps/decoy, but well see how it feels once I get my hands on em.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Tainted Ham posted:

Bought Warlords today but wont get a chance to play it till I'm off work.
I was running a skill build before so I'm super curious what everyone thinks of the new abilities!

I'm planning on switching heal drone/firestarter for shock traps/decoy, but well see how it feels once I get my hands on em.

The 2 sticky bomb variants are sticky bombs, so they're obviously awesome. The decoy and shock trap are a little less straightforward. The trap is a little finnicky but has a massive radius on a skill build, I liked it ok, but rushers could still push through it occasionally. The decoy was shockingly decent, it's basically a little pocket tank on a relatively short cooldown, it can be thrown out to push out of cover safely while you rush an enemy or it can make a really nice panic button if you get flanked yourself.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

The decoy sounds useful...

It'll be nerfed.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Other than TTK, the thing that is bugging me is how relatively useless armor seems to be. With 1.1 million armor I can still get hammered down into my health from a single hit by far too many different types of 'yellow guy' attacks. Staying in cover is pointless when a bullet-sponge yellow guy with a hammer will just charge through whatever volume of fire I can put down and pop through a million armor in a single hit. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to matter much whether I have 750k armor or 1.1m armor, it's pretty much exactly the same feeling.

The armor does feel better against red guys, where I can pretty much stand in the open and shoot a group of 3 or 4 random reds, but any sort of mission or point of interest fight it's basically paper.

I did manage to take down a CP3 solo (on normal difficulty) today, but right when I thought it was over an elite patrol showed up, right at the same time as a pair of rogue agents... I have no idea what the rogue agents did, but they splatted me dead while still at long rifle-shot range while I was barely able to get one of them to 50% armor. Since I'd finished the CP I was able to respawn in the same spot and finish off the Elite patrol, but the agents just 'got lost' so even though I got a 'rogue agent deceased' audio after respawning, I didn't get any loot since I didn't actually kill one of them.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Locator posted:

Other than TTK, the thing that is bugging me is how relatively useless armor seems to be. With 1.1 million armor I can still get hammered down into my health from a single hit by far too many different types of 'yellow guy' attacks. Staying in cover is pointless when a bullet-sponge yellow guy with a hammer will just charge through whatever volume of fire I can put down and pop through a million armor in a single hit. Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem to matter much whether I have 750k armor or 1.1m armor, it's pretty much exactly the same feeling.

The armor does feel better against red guys, where I can pretty much stand in the open and shoot a group of 3 or 4 random reds, but any sort of mission or point of interest fight it's basically paper.

I did manage to take down a CP3 solo (on normal difficulty) today, but right when I thought it was over an elite patrol showed up, right at the same time as a pair of rogue agents... I have no idea what the rogue agents did, but they splatted me dead while still at long rifle-shot range while I was barely able to get one of them to 50% armor. Since I'd finished the CP I was able to respawn in the same spot and finish off the Elite patrol, but the agents just 'got lost' so even though I got a 'rogue agent deceased' audio after respawning, I didn't get any loot since I didn't actually kill one of them.

One thing that people keep missing is that control points levelling up (and missions, if you set the difficulty higher) can override your world difficulty. So your CP3 was still challenging difficulty even though all the world events were normal. The opposite does not appear to be the case (you can't lower a mission difficulty below your world difficulty, and any lower diff activities appear to be brought up).

You're right about armour being functionally useless though. People are tanking with full armor builds with shields, not just armor alone. Enemy damage seems to scale very aggressively such that even max armor is pointless, and this has always been an issue. Back in the pre-WONY days, armour stacking was useful in the DZ because you'd need it to be able to compete with all the gankers also using high armour builds. All that extra armour wasn't useful at all in any PVE because it was still shot to pieces in seconds.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

UnknownMercenary posted:

One thing that people keep missing is that control points levelling up (and missions, if you set the difficulty higher) can override your world difficulty. So your CP3 was still challenging difficulty even though all the world events were normal. The opposite does not appear to be the case (you can't lower a mission difficulty below your world difficulty, and any lower diff activities appear to be brought up).

You're right about armour being functionally useless though. People are tanking with full armor builds with shields, not just armor alone. Enemy damage seems to scale very aggressively such that even max armor is pointless, and this has always been an issue. Back in the pre-WONY days, armour stacking was useful in the DZ because you'd need it to be able to compete with all the gankers also using high armour builds. All that extra armour wasn't useful at all in any PVE because it was still shot to pieces in seconds.

Good point about the difficulty. I didn't realize it specifically went up as if it was challenging, but I knew a CP3 would be much more difficult than a CP1. I was not surprised how difficult it was (I honestly expected to fail going into that assault).

I'm sort of considering a tank/shield build just because of how bad I am at the game in general, but I would like to find better guns to use with it before I try that approach.

In general is there a list of the 'best' gun of each type now? Specifically for AR's, I know I'm not particularly happy with my current MK16?, but I haven't found a G36 of any sort that wasn't completely crap in all the stats. I know my gun at level 30 was a nicely rolled G36 Enhanced, but I don't think that was even the 'best' AR at the time, just the best one I managed to get.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The FAMAS and Police M4 were, before WONY, top of the non-exotic AR heap. They're likely still there, though I've been pretty pleased with my named honey badger (savage wolverine).

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It seems like every time there is a major update or expansion they always come out of the gate with super spongy enemies that charge you lighting fast, take too long to kill and basically one shot you as soon as you are out of cover. Then they adjust it, 'fix' the AI running directly for you suicide style etc

Then a new big patch comes out and it happens all over again and they have to fix it all over again.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Played through the WONY story and now I'm just kind of lost as to what to do to get started forming a postgame build. I'm running around on normal doing control points and getting jack poo poo for loot, and hard is an annoying slog.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

does anyone play hardcore and is there a hardcore pc clan?
just lost my first hc character 8hrs in to the downtown east bounty boss

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Sent a request to join COUNCELPRO because the name made me laugh. I'm sure I'm useless atm, but I'm grinding toward 30

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

The enemies just walking up casually while eating a face full of bullets is what pushes it from annoying to pure bullshit. It's almost like the game is taunting you and it destroys any sense of realism (MY IMMERSION) when enemies just straight-up don't care about being shot in the face

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

J posted:

Played through the WONY story and now I'm just kind of lost as to what to do to get started forming a postgame build. I'm running around on normal doing control points and getting jack poo poo for loot, and hard is an annoying slog.

I just finished too and will be on later. No idea what to do though.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Hakarne posted:

The enemies just walking up casually while eating a face full of bullets is what pushes it from annoying to pure bullshit. It's almost like the game is taunting you and it destroys any sense of realism (MY IMMERSION) when enemies just straight-up don't care about being shot in the face

We've come full circle back to launch era problems.

Feel like this encapsulates a lot of my gripes with the current state of the game:

https://gfycat.com/dimpledincrediblebird

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 9, 2020

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

UnknownMercenary posted:

The TTK problem is twofold, really. To do an appreciable damage as a DPS build, you basically need to focus entirely on red cores and stack headshot, crit chance and crit damage. We've come entirely full circle back to the launch meta. Of course, with enemy damage also tuned up, it basically means you're made of paper and 1 or 2 stray hits is enough to put you down.

Then there's also group scaling, which is wildly out of tune. With a tank using bulwark shield and 3 DPS focused players, 4 player challenging is still kind of a slog but doable. 4 player Heroic becomes loving obnoxiously silly when you're just emptying belt after belt from an LMG into an yellow bar foot soldier while they walk up to you with their sideways held SMG and loving blast you in 1 hit.

It’s the first week of the expansion, please shut the gently caress up lmao

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

J posted:

Stack some +DMG attributes on items. Collect a few pieces of some sets that give you a bonus to weapons you like - Fenris for ARs, etc. Find another set that does a thing you want to do. If you're all about crit stuff, get on sokolov and providence, if you want to go with skills find one tht does that. Right now I'm running 3 piece Sokolov, 2 piece providence, and 1 piece of fenris. That makes me pretty mean with ARs and SMGs. My skills are poo poo but whatever I pick the ones that are more about distracting the enemy than nuking them.

Find a weapon that does decently high damage. There's an AR in the clan vendor right now that has a near max +DMG roll on it, so that's a great starting place.

From there, just start farming for better gear to rip attributes off of, use those to increase the attributes on the stuff you're wearing until even better poo poo drops, then continue the circle of loot.

That basic build I've got above has me thwomping hard lvl stuff pretty well. I'm thinking I'll step it up to challenging tomorrow.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
There’s 4 difficulties and a full recall station and paragon point system they just added, anyone who is complaining about a difficult above hard right now should absolutely shut the gently caress up and Log Off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cyrano4747 posted:

Stack some +DMG attributes on items. Collect a few pieces of some sets that give you a bonus to weapons you like - Fenris for ARs, etc. Find another set that does a thing you want to do. If you're all about crit stuff, get on sokolov and providence, if you want to go with skills find one tht does that. Right now I'm running 3 piece Sokolov, 2 piece providence, and 1 piece of fenris. That makes me pretty mean with ARs and SMGs. My skills are poo poo but whatever I pick the ones that are more about distracting the enemy than nuking them.

Find a weapon that does decently high damage. There's an AR in the clan vendor right now that has a near max +DMG roll on it, so that's a great starting place.

From there, just start farming for better gear to rip attributes off of, use those to increase the attributes on the stuff you're wearing until even better poo poo drops, then continue the circle of loot.

That basic build I've got above has me thwomping hard lvl stuff pretty well. I'm thinking I'll step it up to challenging tomorrow.

Here, I just did a quick run of the Air and Space musuem, solo, on hard to finish up a stage in the gunner spec. I made a couple short videos to demonstrate this build.

Note that I am not good at this game and I am even worse at making builds in games like this. I am the un-meta. The first video is me killing a bunch of random dudes, including a few yellows. I show what the gear etc is before doing that, so if you want to scrutinize the build that's the one to do it in. The second is me killing the boss. I'm also very far from a poop socker. I think I've played 2 or 3 hours a day since the expansion dropped. After finishing up lvl 40 I've been about splitting my time between grinding bounties for gear and just loving around in the world to find collectables and poo poo. I got the SMG from the boss fight at the end of the expansion, but you can buy something (almost) as good as that AR in the clan store right now.

Most of my gear has been fiddled with as far as re-configuring some of the poo poo on it. I've been trying to build out my library for doing that. It's a bit of a glass cannon right now, but survivability isn't horrible. Maybe it'll be poo poo on challenging, but it's spanking hard pretty well right now.

I think I died twice doing it, both due to fuckups where I let myself get flanked because I was too aggressive trying to get in the SMG's lethal range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LexyaAEs-2E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKNy17oxJc

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Stupid newbie question- where does one find this “clan vendor?”

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

IllegallySober posted:

Stupid newbie question- where does one find this “clan vendor?”

Get in a clan. There are instructions in the discord. Then go to the clan room in the BOA. In DC walk in the Whitehouse, turn right, go all the way to the end and it’s on the left. It’s downstairs in NYC.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Kly posted:

does anyone play hardcore and is there a hardcore pc clan?
just lost my first hc character 8hrs in to the downtown east bounty boss

I really enjoy hardcore a lot. The wildly different approach to every facet of the game is really interesting to me. Crowd control and area denial are king, and utility skills are much more likely to create situations can help you stay alive. I run pulse/stinger with a rifle and shotgun early on. If I know where everyone is, I can create a no-go zone which buys me some space to keep my head down and plink, and anyone who gets through eats two barrels.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

welp I haven't played in like nine months and I've forgotten EVERYTHING. gently caress

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Decided to do a little solo session before calling it a night so I went to the boathouse CP then checked for the named spawn immediately south of it. Got a Lady Death from it. Then went to DZ West to farm some holsters since that's what I need now. Got Dodge City from a hard landmark next to some pubbies and we all extracted together and no one tried to kill anybody.

2 exotics in one hour. Not bad.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

AndrewP posted:

welp I haven't played in like nine months and I've forgotten EVERYTHING. gently caress

shoot the bad men

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Get in a clan. There are instructions in the discord. Then go to the clan room in the BOA. In DC walk in the Whitehouse, turn right, go all the way to the end and it’s on the left. It’s downstairs in NYC.

I’m in a clan, just hadn’t found the vendor. I’m still in DC so that should be straightforward. Thanks!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Decided to do a little solo session before calling it a night so I went to the boathouse CP then checked for the named spawn immediately south of it. Got a Lady Death from it.

i'm so mad. I want that gun.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Season 1 starts in 1 day, make sure to claim your FREE Season Pass! Menu -> Store -> Add-ons -> Highlight 'Season 1 Pass' and claim!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

2 exotics in one hour. Not bad.

I spent all day farming Bank on challenging to get a Pestilence. I never saw one drop for me or the pubbies I was with.

You go to hell. You go to hell and you die