Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/Surgeon_General/status/1236783235293741065

Employers, could you pretty please with sugar on top give your employees paid sick leave to help slow down this deadly epidemic? Or don't, that's fine too, nbd.

Please don't do a capitalism...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Patware posted:

isn't covid's incubation period up to like 27 days or something? or did that number get adjusted

I think the last I heard was that it's generally 3-5 days with outliers up to 2 weeks but I'm not 100% sure

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the survivors of the 'crash' from ~100 to here did not look back and say, "Wow, that was tough, better be prudent and prepare for the next crash!". They got bigger bonuses and bought more boats and more homes.

Sounds like the system working as designed

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

So in the middle of all this poo poo, and the Saudi King's death/not-death/undeath, Saudi is basically declaring an all-out oil price war, and OPEC has likely broken down.

Basically, the global economies are looking so lovely that the oil producers want to make as much sales as possible, even if that means selling a barrel of crude for as low as $20. That's great for gas prices, but sends a massive signal to Wall Street and businesses that poo poo is very, very bad and won't improve anytime soon.

Stock futures are down another 900. Oil is down 31%.

I mean, if there's an upside to this it's that karma apparently moves swiftly for X-Site Energy and their cartoon of Greta Thundberg (and they apparently ripped-off an Argentinian tattoo artist whose now suing them).

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
member of rich family tests positive for covid19, family self quarantines.

except for last night, when two of them just couldn't miss the Daddy/Daughter dance at the Ritz Carlton

https://twitter.com/alexiszotos/status/1236798227346833408?s=20

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

bird food bathtub posted:

Can you explain this to me with small words as if I was an idiot? I don't get finance-y/industry type stuff too quick. Saudi Arabia is just going to poo poo oil onto the world market to cut prices as low as they possibly can and try to WalMart the competition? I thought they could only do that short term because US fracking and stuff would just mothball their wells and what-not and wait until they were done?

OPEC can't permanently drive US oil production out of the economy. They can make new wells unprofitable and drive out some marginal producers, but enough lower-cost wells will remain operating to preserve skills and equipment to ensure that a new fracking or horizontal drilling or whatever boom could take place if they prices rise again. There's also the threat of demand destruction; if enough ICE cars get replaced with electric models, the price of oil will crater permanently. I agree with the poster upthread: this is KSA's hail Mary shot at bootstrapping a tech economy before the writing is well and truly on the wall for national oil producers, and they're feeling pressured enough that they aren't willing to pacify the gulf states any longer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Daddy/Daughter dance at the Ritz Carlton

:barf:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

member of rich family tests positive for covid19, family self quarantines.

except for last night, when two of them just couldn't miss the Daddy/Daughter dance at the Ritz Carlton

https://twitter.com/alexiszotos/status/1236798227346833408?s=20

Brb, getting my guillotine oiled up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Saudi's dumping oil on the market at down to $6-8 a gallon.

So much for the market recovery.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Raerlynn posted:

Brb, getting my guillotine oiled up.

If it was at the Ritz Carlton they'll probably only be taking out other wealthy families, so I don't think you need bother with the guillotine

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If it was at the Ritz Carlton they'll probably only be taking out other wealthy families, so I don't think you need bother with the guillotine

Yeah, my first thought when I heard about this case was "well I don't know anyone who goes on ski trips to Italy so I'm probably safe for now."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Futures on the Dow Jones Industrial Average plunged 1,076 points, pointing to a more than 1,100-point loss at Monday’s open. The S&P 500 futures and Nasdaq-100 futures also indicated significant losses at Monday’s open. The sharp declines in the futures market signaled more turbulence ahead after a roller-coaster week that saw the S&P 500 swing up or down more than 2.5% for four days straight.

lol

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/ViralRNA/status/1236721791650934786

https://np.reddit.com/r/medicine/comments/ff8hns/testimony_of_a_surgeon_working_in_bergamo_in_the/

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Well, that's one way to wipe out the silent generation.

My parents live in a retirement community (55+). A number of her friends are taking cruises this month.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't cruises have on board morgues

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Don't cruises have on board morgues

They at least have what passes for decent medical facilities and a morgue that can hold less than 10 bodies. In case of death, pretty sure the protocol is to offload the remains at the next port of call.

My dad had a gig working as the ship’s doctor for a big cruise line for the first few years of his retirement. The worst he had to deal with was norovirus sweeping a ship and the surprisingly high number of elderly people who go on cruises just to kill themselves.

I’m really glad he’s not doing this now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

pantslesswithwolves posted:

and the surprisingly high number of elderly people who go on cruises just to kill themselves.

Go on :stare:

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/stock-futures-fell-fast-enough-sunday-to-trigger-a-trading-halt-2020-03-08

Sooo, futures trading halted. Hit the circuit breaker arrest rate. Happy Monday tomorrow!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Last Chance Cruises

They leave their shoes on the deck so people know they've gone

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So you're saying there's a way to get free new balances

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The worst he had to deal with was norovirus sweeping a ship and the surprisingly high number of elderly people who go on cruises just to kill themselves.

With the price of elder care it can be cheaper to be on a cruise for a few years than to be hospital-bound

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bird food bathtub posted:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/stock-futures-fell-fast-enough-sunday-to-trigger-a-trading-halt-2020-03-08

Sooo, futures trading halted. Hit the circuit breaker arrest rate. Happy Monday tomorrow!

Holy poo poo, this is gonna get ridiculous. I wonder when we'll (or actual economists) look back and know when the recession started.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Can someone explain for those of us who don't know what anything about the stock market?

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/8/21170714/twitter-manipulated-media-biden-video-retweeted-trump

quote:

Twitter has applied a “manipulated media” tag to a doctored video of former Vice President Joe Biden that was shared by White House social media director Dan Scavino and retweeted by President Trump, according to Washington Post reporter Cat Zakrzewski. It’s believed to be the first time the platform has used the tag to denote faked media.

Y'all are gonna fall for the same bullshit again huh?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

A Bad Poster posted:

Can someone explain for those of us who don't know what anything about the stock market?

Futures is after hours trading. Like “when the stock market opens I will sell you my shares of this stock for $x.”

It’s one reason why the market will open and instantly be down 1000 points.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

What TF said, also more than a few people who take an oopsy dose of prescription medication and die overnight.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird cooch posted:

Y'all are gonna fall for the same bullshit again huh?

That 30-second clip was actually the full context and a legit post. The trouble is that Donnie's Merry Band Of Fucks cut it into a 7-second clip and *that's* the doctored video the news agencies are going so nuts about.

Again, Biden has a stutter, plus a multiple-decade history of gaffes and fuckups. But Donnieworld (and part of Bernieworld) is trying to spin this into a dementia diagnosis.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Would still really like to know who either of them would pick as VP. They'd be colossal loving idiots not to pick a woman or POC at least, and given how the office ages people, dying or sundowning while serving isn't exactly a statistic improbability for either of these guys.

If Biden had a loving awesome VP, I'd feel a lot better about voting for him in the general. I think a lot of people would.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Would you vote for him if he picked Bernie

I feel like that would infuriate a few people

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I'd be irritated, but mostly because old as dirt all-male ticket isn't the least bit inspiring, and Sanders is notoriously bad at the kind of horse trading that VPs tend to do.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Would you vote for him if he picked Bernie

I feel like that would infuriate a few people

That won't happen for the same reason that Sanders has such a hard time. Dude has no friends in power and nothing to bring to the ticket after demagoguing the party for two cycles now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

On the bright side, I've convinced my parents to be Bernie supporters, mainly just because they agree that Biden is hot garbage.

Unfortunately we're all in CO so it doesn't matter. Extremely cool nomination system :thumbsup:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Biden was an extremely public figure his whole life and he was until recently a cogent, coherent thinker. It's not normal to do great on super Tuesday then limit your public appearances to a seven minute speech.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I don't think it has a chance in hell of happening, but I think a solid VP for a Biden ticket would be someone like Ayanna Pressley - a relatively young, female PoC that's solidly progressive and can help branch the divide between the establishment and the Bernie wings of the party.

A more likely pick for Biden (and Sanders), and actually one I would put money on if I were a betting man, is Tammy Baldwin. She checks a lot of demographic boxes - not terribly ancient (58), female, LGBT - and is from a state the Democrats absolutely need to win in November (Wisconsin). She's also one of the furthest left members of the Senate, supports Medicare for All, and has worked with Sanders frequently on legislation. Her record isn't perfect, but it's arguably good enough that her nomination as VP could be seen as an olive branch between the Sanders and Biden wings of the party, regardless of which side wins. (A lot like Elizabeth Warren in many ways, but younger, without the bitterness from the campaign, and from a more crucial state).

Honestly the more I think about it, the more surprised I'd be if Baldwin wasn't at the top of both Sanders' and Biden's VP shortlists. She doesn't check all the boxes, but it's drat close, and that Wisconsin connection is especially valuable.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I don't think it has a chance in hell of happening, but I think a solid VP for a Biden ticket would be someone like Ayanna Pressley - a relatively young, female PoC that's solidly progressive and can help branch the divide between the establishment and the Bernie wings of the party.

A more likely pick for Biden (and Sanders), and actually one I would put money on if I were a betting man, is Tammy Baldwin. She checks a lot of demographic boxes - not terribly ancient (58), female, LGBT - and is from a state the Democrats absolutely need to win in November (Wisconsin). She's also one of the furthest left members of the Senate, supports Medicare for All, and has worked with Sanders frequently in the Senate. Her record isn't perfect, but it's arguably good enough that her nomination as VP could be seen as an olive branch between the Sanders and Biden wings of the party, regardless of which side wins. (A lot like Elizabeth Warren in many ways, but younger, without the bitterness from the campaign, and from a more crucial state).

Honestly the more I think about it, the more surprised I'd be if Baldwin wasn't at the top of both Sanders' and Biden's VP shortlists. She doesn't check all the boxes, but it's drat close, and that Wisconsin connection is especially valuable.

I would, however, be rather concerned about Baldwin's seat. WI is shaky ground these days thanks to a shitload of gerrymandering, and there are a not insubstantial number of dumb motherfuckers my age that refused to vote in the election that got us Scott Walker on a platform of 'I'm white and have nothing to lose lololol,' but at least the voter purge got reversed.

EDIT: Same election that lost us Russ Feingold and bequeathed unto us Ron loving Johnson.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
After the Dems gently caress this up I just hope their party loving dies and we can get a real progressive one :/

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Old Boot posted:

I would, however, be rather concerned about Baldwin's seat. WI is shaky ground these days thanks to a shitload of gerrymandering, and there are a not insubstantial number of dumb motherfuckers my age that refused to vote in the election that got us Scott Walker on a platform of 'I'm white and have nothing to lose lololol,' but at least the voter purge got reversed.

EDIT: Same election that lost us Russ Feingold and bequeathed unto us Ron loving Johnson.

Yeah, that's definitely a big downside. Personally, it's a risk but I think you'd have to take it - flipping Wisconsin is a 20 point swing that would be extremely difficult for Trump to overcome elsewhere, and if Baldwin can help make that happen, it's worth the potential loss of the Senate seat.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
The only Tammy I want in the ticket is duckworth.

maffew buildings posted:

After the Dems gently caress this up I just hope their party loving dies and we can get a real progressive one :/

Better pry some voters away from the meme machines if you want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

maffew buildings posted:

That's not how that story ends.