Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i watched The Adventures of Prince Achmed, in honor of the king of Saudi Arabia dying. it should be called The Adventures of the Witch, the witch is the one who does all the heavy lifting. Prince Achmed and Aladdin are just sort of along for the ride, and are both creepy with women. while the two of them are kidnapping pretty women, and spying on beautiful women bathing, and tricking powerful women into loving them, and chasing protesting women through the woods until they swoon, the ugly old woman is repeatedly saving their asses from the evil African Wizard.

be sure to watch this film, the earliest surviving animated film known to exist, before it leaves the criterion channel at the end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I heard that film is actually from 1973 and was made up with a story about being much older

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

What's everyone's favorite ice cream?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

NienNunb posted:

What's everyone's favorite ice cream?

Turtle Tracks

What is yours

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not much. What's everyone's favorite ice cream with you?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I am a mint chip fella, myself. Moose tracks slaps too though. And thise Ben and Jerrys lads? Well they make a real fine pint of Urban Bourbon.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I typically select my ice cream based on whatever flavor of self hatred I have going on that day

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I am a very basic person who only eats vanilla ice cream.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Do you ever think about being very naughty and mixing in a spoon full of something else

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Peanut butter or cookie dough.

bartok
May 10, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

Last time I had ice cream it was this brown-sugar bourbon vanilla that was amazing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The best kind of ice cream is ice cream

Any ice cream

All the time

A surprisingly fantastic one was this spruce needle ice cream that I had a few years back. Imagine a kind of rosemary-flavored ice cream. Wonder if you can still get it, it was a new flavor made for Finland’s 100-year independece

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like a good quality Vanilla Bean. When it comes to Ben and Jerry's I've been a Salted Caramel Core guy for a few years now but I also enjoy a Chubby Hubby.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Do you like to top your Chubby Hubby and if so how

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

No but my partner does

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bluedeanie posted:

I am a mint chip fella, myself. Moose tracks slaps too though.
Moose tracks or triple chocolate brownie fudge or whatever, those are all good for one bowl but get kinda gross. I could eat a carton of good mint chip.

There's a place in Toronto that does fantastic roast marshmellow ice cream, I recommend it to all.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a shop in malaga did orange stracciatella ice cream and it’s the nicest flavour ive ever had

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

big fan of strawberry ice cream with the strawberry chunks. If you do it up in a milkshake you gotta throw in chocolate chips or i'll fite you.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

chocolate with almonds before the realization of how evil almonds are. i don't give a gently caress now... i'll eat the rest however it comes.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

In Octobers an ice cream shop near me starts serving pumpkin ice cream which tastes just like pumpkin pie.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ty everyone for saying nice things about macaroni. he is a bastard man that loves to chew cords and maul hands and feet but when hes sleepy hes very sweet. he will be a good cat one day, but for now he must endure the citrus spray.

i make my own key lime sherbert and eat it a lot. i cant smell so i like things that taste very extreme. so my diet mostly consists of, like, spicy thai green curry for dinner and sour as gently caress sherbert for desert. or other regular foods but with maggi masala sauce poured all over it. otherwise all food tastes like wet styrofoam.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I also REALLY like Haagen Daaz's Green Tea. It's really pleasant and not overly sugary.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
We eat Tillamook and only Tillamook ice cream in my neck of the woods.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

When I was in China I had sesame ice cream, it was amazing

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jerusalem posted:

The remastered version looks like how I think I remember the original, and seeing the actual original graphics is a total mindfuck.
Weird thing is how memories are inconsistent. I remember SMB being kinda hideous. It is. (I really like the sort of night level palette, though) SMB2 though is really pretty. SMB3 is worse looking than I remember. All the Sonic games have remained gorgeous, and SMW is even better looking than I recall.

Phantasy Star 3 was better looking than I remembered. I'm kinda turned off on Phantasy Star 4, maybe the genesis mini is upscaling to my 1440p monitor wrong but everything else looks great so I don't know. But I remember PS4 looking as good as FFVI in my memories.

The FFVI steam version looks poopy but I think they hosed the filters and text or something.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

To me the remake and original graphics of Wonder Boy are both amazing in their own ways and I wouldn't be able to choose.
Related: I bought Monster Boy but just haven't been in the mood to play that kind of game.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I static shocked my pro controller and a joy con and now my switch is out of commission for two to three weeks

Booooooo

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

this curry I just made is too hot. Hot Curry.

No such thing :shrug:

TV Zombie posted:

So the Initial D series that was on Prime was actually not the series but a movie titled "Initial D Legend 1: Awakening" and drat, that was thrilling and the only real action scenes were, arguably, two car races/ It makes me wonder what I was doing/watching when this anime was released and subtitled.

They did a retelling of season 1 a few years ago in 3 different movies. That's the first one. I haven't checked in awhile but I think the original series is on hulu except season five and six (I think they called this final stage). If not, season 1, 2, and 4 are on funimation's youtube page subbed. Season 3 is a movie and probably on youtube but not officially.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So I was going to go to a Disability Policy Summit in DC in about a week and a half (after being strongarmed into it by my mom, who still insists on me working for free or even at cost for NETWORKING and RESUME BUILDING despite my earning a very good hourly rate as a contractor work) but I'm starting to wonder if they'll cancel it because of Covid-19 because it's a nationwide conference and PWD are obviously vulnerable populations. Myself included actually. My immune system is very strong but if I get a respiratory infection it can be very hard for me to shake.

Is it wrong that I hope they cancel it?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Is it wrong that I hope they cancel it?

I spend a great deal of my life hoping things I have committed to doing (including things I really enjoy) get canceled so I can stay at home instead, so no :)

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cancelling plans is the ultimate high

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

I spend a great deal of my life hoping things I have committed to doing (including things I really enjoy) get canceled so I can stay at home instead, so no :)

Then God I hope they cancel it or that my mom agrees it's the right idea (my dad is actually almost literally a case study in exactly who would be in deep poo poo if exposed, so I'm more worried about my dad than anything).

As it stands my schedule is something like I'd leave Sunday the 22nd, be in DC several days, then turn back around to NC, stay in another hotel overnight to work an actual paid engagement on Friday. I think that's right anyway.

I want the DC thing to be cancelled but still work the other thing on Friday so I can still get paid (which is actually fairly likely because the thing on Friday is a fairly small group of all in-state people).

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

your friend wicka posted:

Cancelling plans is the ultimate high

After nearly nine years sober o can confirm this. Free time is the true drug.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Captain Magic posted:

seriously. I quit drinking and I had zero idea how to spend my free time. Then I discovered the joys of re-watching all the poo poo I sat through near blackout drunk. That's why when people are like "hey coco you're a big weirdo have you seen [recent weird thing]?" I always feel extra loving weird because I haven't gotten to it yet cuz I'm busy rewatching poo poo I thought I hadn't ever seen before. I'll take imposter syndrome mixed with deja vu for $400 alex.

Re-watched Halo Unto Dawn, which was as good as I remembered. Its kinda wild that a lot of scifi people can't imagine a shooty boom boom universe without full on militarist fascism playing out. Tho I did enjoy the portrayal of family elements. Or rather, Nepotism in military. Dude is literally allergic to groundslog work and they still want him to tough it out because his mom is cool. Messed up.

Keeping in the shooty boom boom universe theme, I started up Gundam's Advent of the Red Comet. Or whatever its called. It does a great job putting a bow on the whole UC timeline story arc, which was War Profiteers Will Kill Us All. It does a great job stringing together all the Char lore bits throughout the UC series of gundam shows.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

heard this poem that reminded me of a couple people here. i don't want to be specific

I’m a rock
Go ahead and sear me
I won’t budge an inch
I’m a rock
Go ahead and beat me up
I’m a solid rock
Go ahead and leave me in the darkness
I’m a rock
That will shine all alone
I don’t break, I don’t burn, nor do I decay
As I go against nature’s way
I survive
I’m a diamond
Not a blood diamond or anything though
A cool one
That is sitting there where I said
Earlier

I added on some at the end, because diamonds are not that cool these days and the poem is not really about the superficial stuff, even though it sort of is, because it's more about a metaphor involving the physical properties. i don't know. Have a good one

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like the poem.

I write a little bit of poetry every few days or so, when the inspiration strikes. Never share them with anyone. Nice to have a little creative outlet all to myself.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I keep going back and forth on how concerned I am about Covid-19, but TBH my dad is old, diabetic, and on medications that purposely weaken his immune system plus he has pulmonary issues stemming from something else so it's more that I would seriously not be able to live with myself if I ever put my dad in danger (even though sometimes I kinda hate his guts :v:)

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Question - which is the better adaptation of Shakespeare's Hamlet - The Lion King or Strange Brew?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

CobiWann posted:

Question - which is the better adaptation of Shakespeare's Hamlet - The Lion King or Strange Brew?

It's The Bad Sleep Well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

Captain Magic posted:

Congrats! I am coming up on seven years very soon :)

Free time really is the best, and its such a revelation once you stop drinking/drugging that you basically had a 24/7 job on top of your 'normal' life. Now even when I'm "busy", it's not nearly as "busy" as it used to be. I have had a lot less free time lately due to things I can't cancel (legal stuff, death of loved ones, etc.) But plans you can cancel are just wonderful, and I support Foochs and anyone else who wants to cancel the thing they don't want to do.

I did get to sleep in on Sunday though, and hell yessssss i didn't do JACK poo poo and it felt great. Well, not entirely true; I did finish the final episode of Golden Girls.