Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm enjoying China's transition to restricting incoming travel just like they were whining about other countries doing, and the coordinated denial that COVID-19 came from China that their diplomatic corps is up to.

How the gently caress...? Is the line "Wuhan has always been part of China except for late last year when it was Japanese"?

quote:

E: Also a shoutout to the Wuhan kids who realized if they did a one star review campaign on the homework app they were required to use while schools are closed it would get auto-removed from the app store. Well played.
Homework Denier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Gotta wonder what the infection status of India is at, though - a billion people stacked together is gonna be fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

WarpedNaba posted:

Gotta wonder what the infection status of India is at, though - a billion people stacked together is gonna be fun.

Wouldn't we have heard something by now?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Shumagorath posted:

How the gently caress...? Is the line "Wuhan has always been part of China except for late last year when it was Japanese"?

I believe the CCP revisionism this month is that China "discovered" the virus in Wuhan, which in no way means that it originated in Wuhan so stop being rude and disrespectful towards the Glorious PRC and especially Emperor Pooh.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Grognan posted:

can't even be mad at that level of homework avoidance, that's amazing

sounds like they needed some guyovich to explain their homework to them

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rinkles posted:

India's run by a guy who's building concentration camps for Muslims

I'll let you watch the last week tonight segment from last month

If you think Trump is critical of the numbers of cases, imagine what India's nationalist leaders are doing

Turkey, which has a border with Iran, suspiciously has not released any numbers yet either

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i probably should have said "shouldn't" instead of "wouldn't"

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

maybe they are all already dead. has anyone checked?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Nucken Futz posted:

I believe the CCP revisionism this month is that China "discovered" the virus in Wuhan, which in no way means that it originated in Wuhan so stop being rude and disrespectful towards the Glorious PRC and especially Emperor Pooh.

And it's a good thing, too. If the virus had popped up anywhere else, without China's expert containment response as confirmed by the World Health Organization, who knows how bad things could have turned out? China saves the day again!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Turkey, which has a border with Iran, suspiciously has not released any numbers yet either

They did release millions of refugees from the overcrowded refugee camps into Europe the other day, but a goon expert in this thread assured me that without a doubt a refugee can not possibly have coronavirus so it's nothing to worry about and definitely not connected

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nucken Futz posted:

This is why it should always be referred to as Wuhan Coronavirus / Wuhan Pneumonia / Chinese Coronavirus /Chinese Pneumonia

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

poverty goat posted:

They did release millions of refugees from the overcrowded refugee camps into Europe the other day, but a goon expert in this thread assured me that without a doubt a refugee can not possibly have coronavirus so it's nothing to worry about and definitely not connected
There's a good argument that the flow of people from Wuhan to Syrian refugee camps chokes off to zero.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

plague bearing drywall

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

fuckin bad news on this page :(

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

E: Also a shoutout to the Wuhan kids who realized if they did a one star review campaign on the homework app they were required to use while schools are closed it would get auto-removed from the app store. Well played.

They're still letting people in from Korea/Japan/etc you just get a nice camera installed outside your house so they know if you leave for 14 days.

Free camera! :)

I'm waiting to see if the US gets marked as a bad place soon and I get a free camera.

Grand Fromage posted:

Unfortunately, the app won't get removed just based on that but it is funny. afaik the app store has no automatic way to remove apps and once apps are up, unless they're amazingly egregious in breaking laws or apple's own terms, they won't be removed.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Magna Kaser posted:

They're still letting people in from Korea/Japan/etc you just get a nice camera installed outside your house so they know if you leave for 14 days.

Maybe in the rich provinces, here everyone I know in quarantine is just getting their door sealed.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Just saw Peanut Brittle on the tv.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

WarpedNaba posted:

India has more important things to worry about. Their Women's cricket team is in the final of the 20/20 World Cup,

Which is much more important than a global pandemic.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/onlyyoontv/status/1236494515969482752?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/onlyyoontv/status/1236495399591874561?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
You wouldn't understand, things are different in chinese :colbert:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
TCM causes more death than Corona

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Kharnifex posted:

TCM causes more death than Corona

that is def the case if you are a rhino

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
possibly also pangolins :iiam:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/danharris/status/1235719136224804864

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Call me when it starts killing off the party.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

BrainDance posted:

Maybe in the rich provinces, here everyone I know in quarantine is just getting their door sealed.

Yeah makes me glad I live in Shanghai. Day 4 now and no one's so much as shown up at my door and I even filled multiple forms for both the city government and for my apartment complex telling them I returned from overseas and a few health checks/movement checks from the airport. A neighbor noticed me coming back with suitcases and asked where I came from. I told her I came from the US via Taiwan and she breathed a visible sigh of relief.

I'm basically voluntarily self-quarantining for 14 days anyway, though. I'm not allowed in my office for 14 days, Chinese delivery services are good, and I'm a massive goon who basically plays video games all day so it's nbd as long as I can stay here.

The district of Shanghai I live in is where most Koreans and Japanese expats live so I guess they're just focusing there. Japanese people arewere(??) the biggest single expat group and Koreans like 3rd or 4th so I imagine they're under 10x the scrutiny I am, but we'll see.

Even with how lax it is it's p intense compared to when I came into America a month ago. When I landed there from China hardly anyone gave a gently caress and what they did seemed to only make things worse.

They even made everyone in from China stand in a very slow-moving like adjacent to the normal immigration line, separated by a rope barrier. I asked the CDC staff about this and they said they recommended against this but the airport staff told them they had to do it this way.

After that we all had to sit in a special area where they just asked if we'd been to Hubei, took our temp, and then sent us on our way. You get a little form where they ask you to take your temperature for 14 days and report any fevers to a special phone number, but friends who also came in told me other airports like JFK didn't even do this. Anecdotally of the dozen+ people I know who left China since the outbreak began I'm one of about 3 rubes who actually self-quarantined because they didn't enforce this whatsoever, and barely even recommended it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I heard more Chinese men smoke than Chinese women? Is that true?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yes. Supposedly 60% of Chinese men smoke and 3% of women, but that number for men seems extraordinarily low from just personal experience. I would've said 80%+ and thought that was very conservative.

It's not nearly as socially unacceptable for women to smoke in China as it is in Korea, where you'll get screamed at in public for doing it. Japan I'm not sure about how strict it is, but it is still gendered in the same way.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't argue that things are gendered, any insight into the main rationale? That it's not feminine to smoke?

Also, that seems like a ton of smokers. Just a shitload. Does the Party not care/mind?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

All tobacco products in China are a state monopoly so the Party makes more money when more people smoke. There are a few cities that have implemented some limited smoking bans though. Beijing and Shanghai, not sure if anywhere else.

I have no idea if there's a rationale beyond the general sexism. In Korea supposedly it's because smoking was how you indicated you were a prostitute.

And yeah it's a shitload. Basically every Chinese man smokes, it's disgusting. You're having a nice meal out and ten Chinese dudes sit at the table next to you, congrats. They're going to be chain smoking and spitting on the floor the entire time and you get to enjoy the sights, smells, and sounds of that.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 9, 2020

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Smoking in Japan is weird, I still smoked when I went the first time so I experienced the smoker life there. Smoking when you're outdoors is really looked down on and possibly illegal(?), you have to find certain areas with ashtrays and stand there and smoke. Sometimes there are little cubicles, like a public bathroom but for smoking. However in tons of restaurants, arcades, etc you can just smoke wherever and there are no split off smoking/non smoking sections and nobody seems to mind if you light up right next to them when they're eating or whatever. This was around 2016 so idk if it's different now but was still really weird coming form the US where you can smoke outdoors all you want but inside it's almost universally forbidden.

e: I had a rebellious moment in kyoto when I was drunk and just lit up a cigarette walking down the street, felt like big american badass

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

From what my friend tells me of Beijing, smoking is very much the norm there for men

Drinking at business lunches is extremely common as well

I think China's basically having their 1950s era Mad Men moment... Since the 1980s

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A beautiful world with beautiful places to visit

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 28, 2021

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Pick posted:

I heard more Chinese men smoke than Chinese women? Is that true?

I don't think this is limited to East Asia. A friend of mine from Turkey told me it's the same there, and I imagine it's true of a lot of places in the world. Unless I'm mistaken, this used to be true in the west as well, until tobacco companies realized women were a huge unexploited market and social norms had shifted enough to allow women to smoke.

It's fairly common for men, especially younger men, to not smoke in Shanghai, and it's not such a weird sight to see a young woman with a cigarette. But if you have a dinner or whatever with men from other areas in China, they will almost certainly offer you a cigarette (if you're a man) and it's maybe even a little rude to not smoke with them.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I don't think this is limited to East Asia. A friend of mine from Turkey told me it's the same there, and I imagine it's true of a lot of places in the world. Unless I'm mistaken, this used to be true in the west as well, until tobacco companies realized women were a huge unexploited market and social norms had shifted enough to allow women to smoke.

I was always under the impression that men smoked/dipped while women could use snuff.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

For the Benefit of Those Ladies Who Ask the Right to Smoke in Public.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Not gonna lie, a solid would on most of them.

Adora Belle Dearheart comes to mind.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

WarpedNaba posted:

Not gonna lie, a solid would on most of them.

Adora Belle Dearheart comes to mind.

the only ashtray i have any interest in kissing is a magic cake made of abv

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Only sukebe onna smoke in japan, ne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
It feels like smoking is generally considered socially bad these days, and the government info campaigns hammer quite hard on that despite their monopoly, but middle-aged and older men get a 100% pass.

If you're an older man who doesn't smoke, you're making a (minor, good) social statement to most people, and a (minor, bad) one to other old guys.

If you're a woman and you smoke, you're making a (major, bad) social statement to everyone. Different statement depending on whether you're old or young, but similar effect.

Because sexism.

This isn't even part of the new wave of sexism that has been spreading for the past decade or so, it's apparently been like this for a long time.