Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Game Pass has the stronger games by far, and is more likely to get brand new games. I think I am more likely to leave Game Pass running and keep my Humble Choice paused unless the month seems fantastic. Though it's also easy to just pause Game Pass if there's nothing you want to play at that time.

One drawback to Game Pass though is that some multiplayer games don't crossplay with Steam, especially the random indie games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

The 7th Guest posted:

i think it should run okay. the cpu is not so hot but the 620 is adequate enough for that era. as someone who has a bed laptop with an i5 and intel 620, the cutoff point for 60fps gameplay is maybe 2012... but there are still games after that point that can run alright, you maybe get to 2015 before it starts to drop below 30fps at low settings

dark souls 2 ran fine on it, for example. while my time at portia ran worse than the switch version lol

then sometimes there's stuff that just surprised me, like subnautica ran okay on it. but it had trouble with snake pass. dragon's dogma ran passably, but the signal from tolva was unplayable.

ultimately i got a work laptop with a 1050ti in it that could handle my day job stuff while also allowing me to play most modern games on medium settings (naturally the cut-off point will happen when the next-gen consoles come out... oh well)

I should probably get a Ryzen laptop because I just watched a video of some games on Ryzen integrated graphics and wow.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Niffelheim complaint: started a new game and my class choices are boy, girl, boy, boy. I'm not a huge fan of gender being tied to class here. :\

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Borderlands 1 question: my wife and I recently started a coop run and are dying a lot. Are there any beginner mistakes we may be making or general advice? We’re doing all the side quests we find but still find ourselves having to suicide run bosses or badasses.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You're making the classic rookie mistake of playing Borderlands 1

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

More seriously though are you upgrading your equipment and skill tree? Weapons tend to go obsolete pretty fast, you might be passing by purely better upgrades on the basis of rarity, which is a common mistake.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, that loot grind in Borderlands is tedious as poo poo. You find an awesome gun that does everything you want, beat the boss and go to the next area, and the first trash pistol that drops has 50% higher dps. Sigh.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm gonna be cross posting to the steam thread, but is there a mod or game that turns minecraft into basically Factorio, with conveyor belts, complicated crafting trees, and the constant need of defenses from things that want to kill you? I want a reason to build a base that isn't just "I need a place to hold my digiminer and my Refined Storage system." I want there to be waves of block destroying (not like super fast, but enough that I need to not just ignore the mobs,) creatures that get progressively harder as I skill up, but minecraft combat is crap so I guess I want automated turrets and a reason to want to fill them?

I guess I just want a first person factorio that's 3D, but also that isn't Satisfactory (which has no reason for defenses or to kill anything.)

Orv
May 4, 2011
There are a variety of mods that you can combine for that effect but it's rather a chore to get them all going and the Minecraft mod thread could direct you better in the specifics.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Yeah I was hoping there was a game like that, like an automation mod for 7days2die or something. Idk, is Infinifactory good?

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Boba Pearl posted:

Yeah I was hoping there was a game like that, like an automation mod for 7days2die or something. Idk, is Infinifactory good?

Infinifactory is good, but it's a puzzle game and not at all what you're looking for.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Infinifactory is a puzzle game involving conveyors and order of operations rather than a full on survival/crafting game. It's good, but not really what you're looking for.

Unfortunately I don't think any of Factorio's knock-offs/clones really have the same full level of defense and strategy involved.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Serephina posted:

Yea, that loot grind in Borderlands is tedious as poo poo. You find an awesome gun that does everything you want, beat the boss and go to the next area, and the first trash pistol that drops has 50% higher dps. Sigh.

Borderlands 1 wasn't nearly as bad at this, it had a way smoother power curve on the guns. I have fond memories of this one sniper rifle I found in the first zone once that was something like level 18, and I ended up using it basically the whole playthrough.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Satisfactory might be up your alley, but it's Epic Store exclusive at the moment

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

Boba Pearl posted:

If you're looking for a game like factorio with waves of enemies to kill, turrets and factory lines to build, etc., Mindustry might be what you're looking for, if you haven't seen it already. There's a paid version on steam for stuff like multiplayer, but also free builds on itch.io:
https://anuke.itch.io/mindustry

It's more level-based than something with a long-term map like factorio, but it's probably the closest thing out there and there's still a tech tree that you unlock structures from resources collected on those levels, so there's still long-term progression.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 9, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

ymgve posted:

Satisfactory might be up your alley, but it's Epic Store exclusive at the moment

The 1 year anniversary is coming up in a little over a week and they did a little Steam teaser in the last patch video. If there's a team that would do a surprise launch its Coffee Stain.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Mar 9, 2020

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Hub Cat posted:

The 1 year anniversary is coming up in a little over a week and they did a little Steam teaser in the last patch video. If there's a team that would do a surprise launch its Coffee Stain.

After the last update they said it would not arrive as early as February or March, so I think a surprise launch on the anniversary is unlikely

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Fair enough, I've only been half paying attention since I shelved it a while ago.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Fifteen of Many posted:

Borderlands 1 question: my wife and I recently started a coop run and are dying a lot. Are there any beginner mistakes we may be making or general advice? We’re doing all the side quests we find but still find ourselves having to suicide run bosses or badasses.

This is the Borderlands experience from start to finish. I've followed build guides, farmed guns, leveled up, you name it.It's really just not a very good game at all. Look up the Skeleton Key glitch and just open that chest frequently for good guns every few levels.

Borderlands 2 isn't as bad but still has breakpoints where you level and instantly all your poo poo is just trash tier and you get instagibbed. Skeleton Key glitch works here too but "good" guns seem easier to come by out in the field.

I haven't played Pre Sequel beyond 30 mins and won't be getting 3 at all so I can't comment on those.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ymgve posted:

Satisfactory also doesn't really have waves of enemies attacking you or anything like that. Like, there's some critters you have to clear from around resource nodes, but in my experience, they aren't coming after you or your base. Unless it happens way deeper into the game than I've gotten. It is a fun resource automation builder and I dig it a lot but doesn't sound like what he's looking for.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Niffelheim complaint: started a new game and my class choices are boy, girl, boy, boy. I'm not a huge fan of gender being tied to class here. :\

I feel ya there (and haven't played the game yet!) but from videos it looks like Niffelheim has some pretty intricate and good hand-drawn sprites which is increasingly rare even among AAA games, let alone lower-budget indie titles. Drawing and animating for 4 different classes is already a tall order, adding gender variants for each one and keeping them distinct doubles that workload. Good sprite art is loving hard to do and expensive and so there's a good incentive to streamline that down to 4 designs in development .

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm ok with that, as a lot of games don't have the budget to double every PC asset. As long as they're reasonably evenly represented, like Darkest Dungeon or somesuch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

goferchan posted:

I feel ya there (and haven't played the game yet!) but from videos it looks like Niffelheim has some pretty intricate and good hand-drawn sprites which is increasingly rare even among AAA games, let alone lower-budget indie titles. Drawing and animating for 4 different classes is already a tall order, adding gender variants for each one and keeping them distinct doubles that workload. Good sprite art is loving hard to do and expensive and so there's a good incentive to streamline that down to 4 designs in development .
Yeah, that's more or less the problem, I think. Niffelheim art is very intricate and detailed and there's variations based on equipment for all of it. If it helps any, though, as far as I remember it, the classes basically don't even matter in the long run and might as well be aesthetic, so anyone who wants to pick the female sprite is completely free to do so. Even if it would've been nice for that to be more equal instead of 3:1.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fifteen of Many posted:

Make sure you are both the right level for the content, being under leveled is pure pain.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Playing Wolfenstein: TNO in 60 fps feels strange after playing so many shooters in 90+ fps. And it's one of those games that get glitches in high frame rates.

Also, you can't pet the dog in Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Superanos posted:

Playing Wolfenstein: TNO in 60 fps feels strange after playing so many shooters in 90+ fps. And it's one of those games that get glitches in high frame rates.

Also, you can't pet the dog in Wolfenstein: The New Order.

You do however get to play around with a very good boy later on.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

goferchan posted:

This makes sense, but I also stand by my complaint because they could have made one of the viking subclasses a girl. sigh.

Shoutout to Darkest Dungeon for doing this right with enough variety that I didn't care.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/DOGSTRONGG/status/1236939741658001408

Good morning I don't understand how this could bother anyone

Orv
May 4, 2011
This is not news by now but destroy all gamers.

E: Also the version that was around for one day is very good besides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRqavFmDKA

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 9, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Soooo... The Turok game plays smoothly and performs well, but it's Turok. You can also give yourself an indirect cross-hair with the automap. I'm not sure it holds up very well, but it was interesting to see. He has such an angry face when picking up keys (which is pretty much the story from what I played). I could do without the respawning enemies.

Now STAR WARS™ Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast™ is pretty fun from the get-go. I'm not sure if they're ragdolling, but they're really responsive to my laser blasts and can be pushed around a little with more shots during death animations. Had one guy do the mid-air spinning death when I was going full-auto with the laser rifle on his fleeing posterior. Not bad for an 2003 game that I'm playing vanilla. Very curious to see how Force powers are going to change things up.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Jamfrost posted:

Soooo... The Turok game plays smoothly and performs well, but it's Turok. You can also give yourself an indirect cross-hair with the automap. I'm not sure it holds up very well, but it was interesting to see. He has such an angry face when picking up keys (which is pretty much the story from what I played). I could do without the respawning enemies.

Now STAR WARS™ Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast™ is pretty fun from the get-go. I'm not sure if they're ragdolling, but they're really responsive to my laser blasts and can be pushed around a little with more shots during death animations. Had one guy do the mid-air spinning death when I was going full-auto with the laser rifle on his fleeing posterior. Not bad for an 2003 game that I'm playing vanilla. Very curious to see how Force powers are going to change things up.

If you like STAR WARS™ Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast™ for dumb ragdolls and hitting things with a laser sword you should try the next one too STAR WARS Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy which continues the trend pretty well, probably a Star Wars sale in a month or so.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Jedi Academyexcuse me, STAR WARS™ Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy™, is really fun and I personally recommend it. It's like Jedi Outcast, but more so and with customizable character progression.

Orv
May 4, 2011

VodeAndreas posted:

STAR WARS Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

You're a bad person.

Nice job.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

STAR WARS™ Episode VI-2: Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy™

fixed

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

VodeAndreas posted:

STAR WARS Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

I thought you where joking, but looking at the wikipedia page that's almost exactly correct. Like, you can't even make fun of it

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

That's why I want that series to continue, just more and more complicated subtitles until it fills up the entire screen.

Go for a Guinness world record. I mean, this guy could do it...

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Thanks for the Borderlands tips goons!

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

Orv posted:

This is not news by now but destroy all gamers.

E: Also the version that was around for one day is very good besides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWRqavFmDKA

Now see I would love a combo track with both voices now

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fifteen of Many posted:

Thanks for the Borderlands tips goons!

If you're playing Borderlands 1 on PC, make sure you install a mod that makes the fonts smaller - the default font actually cuts off the weapon's stats so if they've got more than x bonuses some of them won't show up at all, even though they're there.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I think my main dude was NC Emerald. I don't remember a lot about the game but I do remember it being a pretty big grind to level up and get access to more stuff. Is it still just as bad?

Depends on how long ago you played. They've made the new player experience better by dumping more certs on you during the starting levels, but I can't speak to how well it works because I don't really play anything but my already levelled Vanu. Aside from levelling up class specific tools, the guns are all effective and I'm sure you're aware that it's not like the starting guns shoot marshmallows and the other unlockable guns are necessarily more powerful. I'd say give it a shot and make a new character with GOKU this time if you're hungering for that action again. It's still free to play and rolling with the platoon is great.