Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I worked retail for a long time and knew a bunch of old people that had their knees destroyed from standing on concrete floors all day. It’s just a grinder built to get as much capital from the bare minimum staff as possible. Would it be so hard to give people options on moving around? Absolutely not. Sad thing is in the US customers would complain if someone was sitting down scanning your items for checkout cause they’re stupid loving broken people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Invalid Validation posted:

I worked retail for a long time and knew a bunch of old people that had their knees destroyed from standing on concrete floors all day. It’s just a grinder built to get as much capital from the bare minimum staff as possible. Would it be so hard to give people options on moving around? Absolutely not. Sad thing is in the US customers would complain if someone was sitting down scanning your items for checkout cause they’re stupid loving broken people.

As a pharmacist who worked retail for a long time, I will tell you this is absolutely true of customers and of management. We would often work 12-16 hour shifts, sometimes back to back, almost exclusively standing. When I was even allowed to have a stool in the pharmacy (something I fixed ASAP when I get promoted to DM), you were basically encouraged to never use it. Customers would bitch that they had to wait too long “and he’s just sitting down doing nothing!” You were looked at as lazy and unproductive if you even tried to sit for a few minutes. Management would scrutinize and say that a bad example was being set for the technicians if the pharmacist sat down. The compromise was getting those razor thin rubber mats that would wear out in a few months yet mysteriously only were able to be replaced once every Olympics.

Flash forward years later and I have massive lower back and knee problems 😫

PS - this was on top of the fact that we had no lunch breaks and rarely even got a chance to get away to go to the bathroom On busy days. There were times I’d look up at the clock and see it was 7pm and think “wow I haven’t even peed yet today”

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Consumerism has to end.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

My store has ergo-mats for you to stand on behind the register.

Corporate instituted a policy that when not serving anyone, you have to come out from behind the register and stand at the front of your lane so customers see you're open and ready to take them. :downs:

The light, being able to talk to them, any of that? Clearly not enough. Get the gently caress up there and stand at parade rest.

We bleed cashiers constantly and people who escape the front end ( yo ) refuse every cashier shift for some reason.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Customers are a huge part of the problem, yes, and a lot of changing that seems to be waiting for the entitled boomers to die.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

My store has ergo-mats for you to stand on behind the register.

Corporate instituted a policy that when not serving anyone, you have to come out from behind the register and stand at the front of your lane so customers see you're open and ready to take them. :downs:

The light, being able to talk to them, any of that? Clearly not enough. Get the gently caress up there and stand at parade rest.

We bleed cashiers constantly and people who escape the front end ( yo ) refuse every cashier shift for some reason.

Publix? Sounds like Publix. If not, Publix does the exact same poo poo, and the non-CS positions aren't tons better. When I was in grocery we were forbidden to climb the pallet racks, but there was only one walking stacker to access 16 racked pallets of product and we were judged on the number of products we put on the floor in a shift so literally everyone climbed the pallet racks.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 3, 2020

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Plastik posted:

Customers are a huge part of the problem, yes, and a lot of changing that seems to be waiting for the entitled boomers to die.

Publix?

Food Donkey.

We've a bunch of corporate policies that come on from the top down that are the epitome of penny wise and pound foolish. They're currently in the process of eliminating as many experienced meat shop people as possible. They'd like to have it set up to the point where anyone from any department could be slotted into the position and paid nothing.

And then the customers get pissed when I tell them we don't cut anything. :downs:

I like the part where we have signs around the store saying things like 'nobody should have to choose between gas or groceries' and fighting hunger and we also put locks on our dumpsters

NerdyMcNerdNerd fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 3, 2020

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plastik posted:

When I was in grocery we were forbidden to climb the pallet racks, but there was only one walking stacker to access 16 racked pallets of product and we were judged on the number of products we put on the floor in a shift so literally everyone climbed the pallet racks.
This is all kinds of jobs. Strong safety rules, but employees can't meet their productivity expectations unless they break the safety rules, so when they get injured on the job the company can say "Hey, we're not liable - they broke the safety rules"

Working as intended.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I like the part where we have signs around the store saying things like 'nobody should have to choose between gas or groceries' and fighting hunger and we also put locks on our dumpsters

I mean, someone can break into your dumpster and eat food and get sick.

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

FMguru posted:

This is all kinds of jobs. Strong safety rules, but employees can't meet their productivity expectations unless they break the safety rules, so when they get injured on the job the company can say "Hey, we're not liable - they broke the safety rules"

Working as intended.

This is why I always work to rule (and why I've been fired a lot).

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

pseudanonymous posted:

I mean, someone can break into your dumpster and eat food and get sick.

how dare they

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Goast posted:

how dare they

Well, the problem is, even if you want to feed people, if you do, or even make it easy for them to access waste like that, they can sue you. We have a good system.

I worked at Nordstrom cafe at one point, and we wanted to donate our unused baked goods to the homeless at one point, and we basically couldn't.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There was a restaurant I used to goto in Savannah that had a way around that. They let the homeless get in line and order with everybody else, then just not have to pay.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend when he was getting started in the coding world worked for a commercial software company. Closed office, no interaction with clients. The boss one day replaced everyone's desks with non-adjustable standing desks and got rid of all chairs, said it made the office LOOK more "active" and it projected a better image to anyone who visited. Absolutely refused to make it optional and said anyone who didn't like it could leave. They lost a good 1/3 of their staff within the first month, including my friend. Year later he went back there for a meeting and everyone was at normal desks again. And yes, the boss who did this change always kept his big chair in his big private office.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

Well, the problem is, even if you want to feed people, if you do, or even make it easy for them to access waste like that, they can sue you. We have a good system.

I worked at Nordstrom cafe at one point, and we wanted to donate our unused baked goods to the homeless at one point, and we basically couldn't.

We donate a fair amount of food to the food bank, but that's reliant upon them coming to get it. We throw away a hell of a lot more than we give out. And even if 100% of our edible food waste was going to the food bank, that's entirely reliant upon those that need it being able to get to the food bank.

Gonna guess that the homeless people camping in the woods behind our store that come out at night don't really have much in the way of transportation.

It's cool that even our social safety nets require having a car or an address or a bare minimum of wealth to access

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

GPTribefan posted:

pharmacy bullshit that will never change.

Hey man, you said you worked, past tense? How did you get out? I've had all these fights with dipshit middle managers who aren't pharmacists and don't understand what we do, and it's only getting worse every day. I'm sick of having no shifts for months at a time and then getting called in to work 13 hour solo shifts at a 500+ script a day Supercenter with one tech and no cashiers in a city 2 hours away because the district doesn't want to hire any more than a single pharmacist per store per day. Someone gets an intractable kidney stone that needs surgery to remove? Get hosed you're working. Doctor forbade you from working after knee injections? Lol you're working this weekend. Had a TIA at work and need to retire because your blood pressure never drops below 180/110? gently caress you, we're refusing your two weeks notice, get your poo poo covered. It's not going to stop until a miracle causes the state boards to develop a conscience and eject the big box rep members, at best.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Hey man, you said you worked, past tense? How did you get out? I've had all these fights with dipshit middle managers who aren't pharmacists and don't understand what we do, and it's only getting worse every day. I'm sick of having no shifts for months at a time and then getting called in to work 13 hour solo shifts at a 500+ script a day Supercenter with one tech and no cashiers in a city 2 hours away because the district doesn't want to hire any more than a single pharmacist per store per day. Someone gets an intractable kidney stone that needs surgery to remove? Get hosed you're working. Doctor forbade you from working after knee injections? Lol you're working this weekend. Had a TIA at work and need to retire because your blood pressure never drops below 180/110? gently caress you, we're refusing your two weeks notice, get your poo poo covered. It's not going to stop until a miracle causes the state boards to develop a conscience and eject the big box rep members, at best.

Wait, are Pharmacists not allowed to quit? Is it like a Night's Watch thing?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Well step 1 is to get a job somewhere that isn't a Walmart.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Jedi425 posted:

Wait, are Pharmacists not allowed to quit? Is it like a Night's Watch thing?

Yes, "Ranger" is a name like "Snow".

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Plastik posted:

Well step 1 is to get a job somewhere that isn't a Walmart.

Lol, I've been trying for years. The job market is saturated, but the pharmacy schools can't stop putting people out the door without collapsing. There's work that needs doing but they won't hire more hands to do it as long as there are desperate new grads willing to work alone for $20+ dollars less an hour than grads from just a couple years ago. CVS and Walgreens are even worse; the CVS across town from me was 1300 RX's behind last time I called them. The Walgreen's around here are also perpetually behind because they bought out all the Rite Aid's and Fred's, closed those locations, transferred all the RX's to their two remaining pharmacies and then cut overnight staff entirely. poo poo's insane and the NYT stories about it only scratch the surface.

As far as the stroke retirement, that was a coworker of mine whom they attempted to bully, hoping she wouldn't know better. It worked, but I was able to take those shifts anyway so she went home.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Mar 4, 2020

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Out of sheer morbid theory-crafting curiosity, what would happen if pharmacists formed a national union?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Facetious posted:

Out of sheer morbid theory-crafting curiosity, what would happen if pharmacists formed a national union?

Well for one thing the Republicans would have a scapegoat to blame for the sky high cost of medication.

It wouldn't be true but that's never stopped them before.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Plastik posted:

Well for one thing the Republicans would have a scapegoat to blame for the sky high cost of medication.

It wouldn't be true but that's never stopped them before.

Republicans like the American Medical Association though, which acts a lot like a guild for medical doctors. I think Republicans might actually like protectionist laws for pharmacists.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Lol, I've been trying for years. The job market is saturated, but the pharmacy schools can't stop putting people out the door without collapsing. There's work that needs doing but they won't hire more hands to do it as long as there are desperate new grads willing to work alone for $20+ dollars less an hour than grads from just a couple years ago. CVS and Walgreens are even worse; the CVS across town from me was 1300 RX's behind last time I called them. The Walgreen's around here are also perpetually behind because they bought out all the Rite Aid's and Fred's, closed those locations, transferred all the RX's to their two remaining pharmacies and then cut overnight staff entirely. poo poo's insane and the NYT stories about it only scratch the surface.

As far as the stroke retirement, that was a coworker of mine whom they attempted to bully, hoping she wouldn't know better. It worked, but I was able to take those shifts anyway so she went home.

Can I just ask, how do you pay for your month to month expenses if you don't get shifts for weeks at a time

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can I just ask, how do you pay for your month to month expenses if you don't get shifts for weeks at a time

To be honest, I'm exceptionally lucky in that my SO is also a pharmacist, although she works at a hospital and has a different set of concerns. Most of the time I can get 10 or so hours a week, which is livable on a pharmacist hourly rate, but I'm hourly PRN, not salaried, so the salaried folks get sent out first and and I get called to catch emergencies or when everyone else would hit overtime. Most of the time I can string things together on my own, but last year I had a dry spell between July and October and it was Not Good.

It's frustrating because the entire reason I went this route was for financial security and self respect. Worked as a grocery stocker, meat cutter, dairy guy and clerk at a Hot-Topic alike so I planned to avoid retail. I nearly managed it too by getting hired on as an intern at a hospital and working for a couple of years but it just wasn't to be.

It could be worse but sometimes you just want to vent about it. :shrug:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

To be honest, I'm exceptionally lucky in that my SO is also a pharmacist, although she works at a hospital and has a different set of concerns. Most of the time I can get 10 or so hours a week, which is livable on a pharmacist hourly rate, but I'm hourly PRN, not salaried, so the salaried folks get sent out first and and I get called to catch emergencies or when everyone else would hit overtime. Most of the time I can string things together on my own, but last year I had a dry spell between July and October and it was Not Good.

It's frustrating because the entire reason I went this route was for financial security and self respect. Worked as a grocery stocker, meat cutter, dairy guy and clerk at a Hot-Topic alike so I planned to avoid retail. I nearly managed it too by getting hired on as an intern at a hospital and working for a couple of years but it just wasn't to be.

It could be worse but sometimes you just want to vent about it. :shrug:

Yeah man, id move careers. Your basically going to be hosed retirmeent wise if you can barely scrape. You might be better off ubering your retirement goals. Go into business, your pharmacy experience will supplement many organization tasks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I'm hoping to do something of the sort and leverage my organizational experience, because right now your average retail pharmacist is a customer service rep, a patient advocate to insurance companies, a secretary for a perpetually ringing phone line, a drive through worker, and a floor manager for a busy workspace while beholden to conference calls with district managers over metrics, on top of their clinical duties. Those skills are surely applicable somewhere.

Edit: Woops, I nearly forgot that I worked at a barbecue joint too after graduating with a biology degree but hadn't gotten into RX school yet. For Thread Content, my big memories were 1) refusing to serve a customer who launched into a tirade about how all of New Orleans deserved to die for their sinful ways and Katrina was God's way of doing it and 2) getting in trouble with the owner because a customer changed his mind about his to go order after we completed it in front of him. I offered to redo it for here and he started screaming about disrespect, then drove to the other location miles away to complain about me. Good times.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Mar 5, 2020

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

We donate a fair amount of food to the food bank, but that's reliant upon them coming to get it. We throw away a hell of a lot more than we give out. And even if 100% of our edible food waste was going to the food bank, that's entirely reliant upon those that need it being able to get to the food bank.

Gonna guess that the homeless people camping in the woods behind our store that come out at night don't really have much in the way of transportation.

It's cool that even our social safety nets require having a car or an address or a bare minimum of wealth to access

Yep, transportation is the biggest issue here to official charities. If they can't come get it, it's gonna get tossed.

The Good Samaritan Food Act passed in the 90's essentially shields people, government entities and businesses from liability if the food was prepared and handled properly (meaning no gross negligence).

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There was a restaurant I used to goto in Savannah that had a way around that. They let the homeless get in line and order with everybody else, then just not have to pay.

Simultaneously one of the prettiest and most depressing small cities I've been to.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Wait, pharmacists are treated like poo poo in America? Would you like to come to Canada and fill scripts by teleconference?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
The economy is about to collapse. Hold on to your job for dear life.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rexicon1 posted:

The economy is about to collapse. Hold on to your job for dear life.

can't lose what I haven't had in months!

:smithfrog:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I think that one could make a fair statement that, due to the nature of the capitalist system, the economy is always about to collapse, depending on the breadth of the word "about". I personally became a capitalskeptic when I realised that one could easily have mass unemployment, hunger and suffering without a famine, war or natural disaster and despite an abundance of resources.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

JustJeff88 posted:

I think that one could make a fair statement that, due to the nature of the capitalist system, the economy is always about to collapse, depending on the breadth of the word "about". I personally became a capitalskeptic when I realised that one could easily have mass unemployment, hunger and suffering without a famine, war or natural disaster and despite an abundance of resources.

:vince::ironicat::rolleyes:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

JustJeff88 posted:

:boom:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Modell's Sporting Goods apparently filed Chapter 11 and are liquidating all their stores.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Never heard of them. Guess that's why they're bankrupt.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Never heard of them. Guess that's why they're bankrupt.

they're big in the northeast

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2867904001?__twitter_impression=true

The virus is bringing the retail apocalypse to an end because retail is dead.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

J.C. Penney looks avoid ready to file (a pre-packaged?) Chapter 11, since they just defaulted on $12 million of interest due today (there's technically a 30 day grace period, but this is leverage to either renegotiate out of court or force Chapter 11 proceedings). Neiman Marcus is apparently about ready to file for bankruptcy as well. Things looking up for the retail industry! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Horseshoe theory posted:

J.C. Penney looks avoid ready to file (a pre-packaged?) Chapter 11, since they just defaulted on $12 million of interest due today (there's technically a 30 day grace period, but this is leverage to either renegotiate out of court or force Chapter 11 proceedings). Neiman Marcus is apparently about ready to file for bankruptcy as well. Things looking up for the retail industry! :downs:

Things looking up for the retail industry? No! Money down!