Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Not as bad as this one which inevitably gets shared by the same people:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Graphs can and should be used for schematic representation. Not aware of anything wrong with the epidemiology displayed by that in a schematic way and it's not the sort of concept you can graph last outbreaks with hard numbers and see the idea so I can excuse the lack of numbers on the axis.

As a pessimist I suspect it might be wishful thinking to show the ideal outbreak curve underneath the capacity line (and the original CDC version shows the ideal curve still peaking above it) but I understand the communication intent in conspicuously being optimistic.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

zedprime posted:

Graphs can and should be used for schematic representation. Not aware of anything wrong with the epidemiology displayed by that in a schematic way and it's not the sort of concept you can graph last outbreaks with hard numbers and see the idea so I can excuse the lack of numbers on the axis.

As a pessimist I suspect it might be wishful thinking to show the ideal outbreak curve underneath the capacity line (and the original CDC version shows the ideal curve still peaking above it) but I understand the communication intent in conspicuously being optimistic.

The point of the blue and red graph is obviously to respond to people talking about "hey let's just all get Corona virus and be done with it" like how some people did chickenpox parties before the vaccine.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Blue Footed Booby posted:

like how some people did chickenpox parties before the vaccine.
got bad news for you

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

the worst thing about this graph is the roughly equal areas of the two scenarios, i.e. total number of cases until the virus is "defeated".

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

klafbang posted:

Not as bad as this one which inevitably gets shared by the same people:

Wait, I thought the mortality rate of COVID-19 for people under 30 was 0%? Or is that just for people without other medical issues?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jeebus bob posted:

the worst thing about this graph is the roughly equal areas of the two scenarios, i.e. total number of cases until the virus is "defeated".

That's the point. Spreading out the same number of cases over time means fewer cases happen when the system for handling them are at capacity. This means fewer people need hospitalization at times when there isn't space in the hospitals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The thing about COVID19 that really hasn't gotten as much attention as it should is that some significant fraction of the people diagnosed with it need weeks of hospitalization before they recover. If there are a large number of infections at any time, then we don't have hospital beds for all of them, or for people with other conditions.

trapped mouse posted:

Wait, I thought the mortality rate of COVID-19 for people under 30 was 0%? Or is that just for people without other medical issues?

No one under 10 has died so far. I think you're misremembering that statistic.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

The point of the blue and red graph is obviously to respond to people talking about "hey let's just all get Corona virus and be done with it" like how some people did chickenpox parties before the vaccine.
Yeah its a good chart because besides addressing the doomsdayers who are saying lets just get it over with, its also an important to help people who could otherwise be leaning to the side of protection after one more small logical connection like those that are parroting "its just a cold" (yes, but the cold sucks and widespread outbreaks without previous immunity makes it suck widespread in a medical system stressing way) or "I'll worry about it after worrying about the flu season" (the same critical population will be fighting over beds for both and given current hospital cleanliness will absolutely cross infect).

Again that's also separate from reducing the area under the curve so to say. Good hygiene can do some of that but in the course of just living life some lapses can be unavoidable. Social distancing is important in an outbreak, but you probably need to go back to work eventually as even remote workers generally have some amount of in person meetings; or just needing to go the grocery store. Something socially transmitted and mutating like a viral respiratory infection is not a great candidate to drive to zero.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Time for a classic.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Richard Herring's annual crusade to painstakingly answer every WHEN'S INTERNATIONAL MEN'S DAY tweet brings joy to my black withered soul

he makes a ton of money for domestic violence charities doing it too

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

TinTower posted:

Time for a classic.

Aw google, you've failed me.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TinTower posted:

Time for a classic.

I draw meaning from the fact that the date of International Men's Day is shared with World Toilet Day. On that day, my brothers, we are free to leave the seat up.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

That's the point. Spreading out the same number of cases over time means fewer cases happen when the system for handling them are at capacity. This means fewer people need hospitalization at times when there isn't space in the hospitals.

While I am glad that the graph seems to have had an impact and that most countries have in fact enacted sweeping measures, I was (in the spirit of this thread) nitpicking the simplistic picture :)

You seem to be mistakenly accepting the implication that the total number of possible cases is constant regardless of strategy.

My point was that without any preventative measures, the number of cases - both new and concurrent - would be much slower to fall than the red graph shows, and would in all likelihood continue to be higher for a longer time than in the case with measures. Imagine the height of the red area, but extended beyond the end of the blue area - and hopefully declinging over time before reaching some threshold value beyond which society collapses.

Because without adequate quarantine as well as travel and assembly restrictions and the (already evident) attrition of medical staff and supplies the virus would spread farther, and repeated exposure might affect those who initially would not have fallen sick, or at the very least turn them into more effective vectors, increasing the reach and duration of the spread.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

jeebus bob posted:

While I am glad that the graph seems to have had an impact and that most countries have in fact enacted sweeping measures, I was (in the spirit of this thread) nitpicking the simplistic picture :)

You seem to be mistakenly accepting the implication that the total number of possible cases is constant regardless of strategy.

No, I'm not. The graph is saying that even if the total number infected is the same, it's better to spread it out. It's trying to make a very simple point to a specific kind of person, not cram in a complete picture of how epidemics work. It's a deliberate oversimplification made to target people who are in no way equipped, prepared, or willing to wade through the full picture.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 12:07 on Mar 9, 2020

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Oh good, my apologies for explaining it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The numbers in that Covid-19 graph seem to come from the same source as this

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

which explains what the numbers mean a bit more.

Still no idea what's up with Italy where almost 5% of infections have resulted in death though.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Aramoro posted:

Still no idea what's up with Italy where almost 5% of infections have resulted in death though.

Italy is a society of old people and their standard greeting is kissing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Aramoro posted:

It probably means there are a lot of undiagnosed cases in Italy. The mild or asymptomatic cases aren't getting tested, or weren't getting tested for a while, so they aren't showing up in official statistics, so the official death rate is higher. You can tell this by the way the disease first presented in Italy with like six people showing up at hospital and immediately dying. That's not what the disease has looked like anywhere else, so for those six people to be in such bad shape there were probably a couple hundred other people with mild cold or flu symptoms who didn't notice and so didn't get reported. Incidentally, that's also how it's presenting in Washington State right now, so it's probably spreading unchecked through the US right now.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Aramoro posted:

The numbers are fine; the reason I posted the chart is that the grouping on the x-axes are completely different. The two last categories of the COVID-19 part have no counterparts in the regular flu part. If you read that chart very carefully, it still conveys basically the same message, but by using a poo poo categorisation, you have to convince people bad at math of this.

It's basically the opposite of the simplified chart Platystemon posted: that chart simplifies facts to immediately counter an argument against the point it tries to convey. This chart adds complexity that directly supports a counter-argument to the main point.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

vyelkin posted:

It probably means there are a lot of undiagnosed cases in Italy.

While this is the most probable result, it could also mean that the Italian health care system is overwhelmed. If you look at the Chinese numbers, the death rates in Wuhan were 5.8% while outside of Wuhan it was 0.7%...

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Speaking of bad/misleading coronavirus graphs,

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
if you're over 80 you will die of covid before you get it

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Panty Saluter posted:

if you're over 80 you will die of covid before you get it

The first symptom is death.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nenonen posted:

The first symptom is death.

After that, things get...complicated

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That has to be coming from inside the thread. After my ranting the other day about how pie charts are less than useless somebody obviously put percentile data in a bar graph to make a point.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

zedprime posted:

That has to be coming from inside the thread. After my ranting the other day about how pie charts are less than useless somebody obviously put percentile data in a bar graph to make a point.

Got ya covered.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

klafbang posted:

Got ya covered.

:discourse:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Aramoro posted:

You try getting Italians to keep their fingers away from their mouths.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Captain Hygiene posted:

After that, things get...complicated

Halitosis may follow.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1237923526461530112?s=21

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Apparently transmission of Coronavirus also occurs backwards in time, so the Jazz played the Raptors on Monday, who then passed the virus along to the Kings when they played them on Sunday. Truly an insidious disease.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
Not sure why it bothers me so much that the Warriors and Spurs are listed by their team names when everyone else is listed by their location.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mr. Belpit posted:

Not sure why it bothers me so much that the Warriors and Spurs are listed by their team names when everyone else is listed by their location.

I’m guessing it’s because Golden State and San Antonio are long names.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

From the Doomsday Economics thread:

You can tell the economy is going badly when people start busting out log charts to try to pretend it's all normal.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I'm not about to stan for log charts but if you looked at the market and didn't see some level of exuberance that needed deflated you're an optimist.

A crash and looming recession from a disease outbreak isn't how I'd want it corrected but thems usually the breaks in capitalism.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Karia posted:

You can tell the economy is going badly when people start busting out log charts to try to pretend it's all normal.

It's also one of those things where it's like "oh well good news for those of us who invested in 1910, then"

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean I'm doing some extremely basic "look at what the NASDAQ and Dow Jones are doing on Google" level analysis, but aren't they not even doing too badly? It's not like we've lost years of value or whatever you want to call it, the indexes have just fallen to where they were 6 months ago. I mean I guess the fear is that it'll keep going, but it seems not so bad yet?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Karia posted:

Log chart actually makes sense in this case in my opinion.

Losing 1000 points means a lot different at total market cap of 5000 points vs 25,000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

PittTheElder posted:

I mean I'm doing some extremely basic "look at what the NASDAQ and Dow Jones are doing on Google" level analysis, but aren't they not even doing too badly? It's not like we've lost years of value or whatever you want to call it, the indexes have just fallen to where they were 6 months ago. I mean I guess the fear is that it'll keep going, but it seems not so bad yet?

3 years of gains have been wiped out and it shows no signs of stopping. What you're seeing is intense volatility under the Trump admin (which is why like 15 of 20 largest djia point drops are under his admin along with 11 of 20 largest point gains).

Really though I don't think there's much to worry about because the government cares how the markets are doing. Which is why the fed is injecting 1.5T into wall st while congress can't be bothered to even consider sick pay for those that need to quarantine.