Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Get to Beverly Hills and have some poor people throw money out of helicopters already!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Agronox posted:

From "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator," written nearly a hundred years ago. This passage is burned into my memory. The whole book is interesting but this little bit (I won't quote it all) has been incredibly useful to me in terms of not screwing things up:

Reminisces is a fascinating read for a bunch of reasons, both positive and negative. Its worth noting Livermore completely blew up his account and went broke multiple times, eventually culminating in his suicide- So I've always thought it best to take it all with a big grain of salt. Its full of broad aphorisms that are nearly impossible to actually apply in a rational way, which is probably why he eventually drove himself insane. That quote is emotionally appealing, but what does it actually *mean*? Sometimes sitting tight leads to missing out or losing big, sometimes it bounces back in your direction... its random, and that kind of thinking is not 'discipline'

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
Yeah I have VIX calls that were up 250% before the halt, it just shows them at .01 during the halt

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I feel a little gross about how much money I've made off of TLT.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Fuckin halt glitched out thinkorswim and gave me a goddamn heart attack.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

The IV is so high that even my dumbass calls still have value

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Serious loving regret not buying more puts on CCL and NCLH or other cruise lines. gently caress me.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Agronox posted:

From "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator," written nearly a hundred years ago. This passage is burned into my memory. The whole book is interesting but this little bit (I won't quote it all) has been incredibly useful to me in terms of not screwing things up:

I tried reading reading 'Reminiscences' but it just never made sense to me because it just seemed like he often simply just had an information advantage, tripped over his own leveredged dick and then basically scammed people. And yet everyone says that they learned so much from it. It's kind of like everyone who got into investment banking because 'Wall Street' was so cool. And even the parts that were useful, like you mentioned, just seemed like hindsight-tinted aphorisms.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

greasyhands posted:

Reminisces is a fascinating read for a bunch of reasons, both positive and negative. Its worth noting Livermore completely blew up his account and went broke multiple times, eventually culminating in his suicide- So I've always thought it best to take it all with a big grain of salt. Its full of broad aphorisms that are nearly impossible to actually apply in a rational way, which is probably why he eventually drove himself insane. That quote is emotionally appealing, but what does it actually *mean*? Sometimes sitting tight leads to missing out or losing big, sometimes it bounces back in your direction... its random, and that kind of thinking is not 'discipline'

Moreover the refutation is an actual useful quote: "All models are wrong, some models are useful."

If you have a model that shows you to buy now, or to sell now, then you can (and if it's EV has been positive, probably should) follow its suggestions. But the model's still wrong, and you've always gotta have some ability to accept that.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
With the halt any chance they close short selling?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

greasyhands posted:

Well I mean, take the advice broadly--if you have a strong stance on what the market should be doing, or if something is significantly mispriced, don't go around trading yourself out of the position, stick with it until it resolves. That may seem really simple but when you actually have money on line it's not. Remember how you said last week or whatever that if you sat tight you'd be up millions of dollars? You traded yourself out of it, right? I don't say that to throw salt on a wound, just that, man, personally my biggest mistakes, the ones I feel the worst about, are from closing a winning position way too early. That's why that passage resonates with me.

(You're right about Livermore generally, he's no great example, but take what's useful and throw away the rest)

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

bollig posted:

I feel a little gross about how much money I've made off of TLT.

Same, the spread on TLT calls is wild today.

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah honestly I can’t feel bad. I sold at peak VIX on Friday so all the stuff I held is actually not significantly up this morning. Feeling better. loving nailed that 60 VIX open call though. Too bad there was no way to get down on it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Carnival Cruises trading at 23.70 and my Mar 31 puts are so deep ITM I basically can’t unload them without taking a huge hit on spreads :(

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Bloody 'ell. My VIX puts lost 40% value over the weekend and I am not feeling great.

Well, that's the nature of gambling I guess.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Idk whether to hold on my Disney $100p 3/20, or CCL 3/20 $27p, or NCLH $30p 3/20. They're all up so loving much. Only have one contract of each.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
https://twitter.com/AskRobinhood/status/1237016846282280961

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
CPLG trading for about 1/3 the value of its assets, if you assume coronavirus isnt going to permanently seize travel and hotels will have value in our godless future.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Bored As gently caress posted:

Idk whether to hold on my Disney $100p 3/20, or CCL 3/20 $27p, or NCLH $30p 3/20. They're all up so loving much. Only have one contract of each.

In your shoes I'd:

- Pick a multiple on my capital I'd like to get back (X)
- Subtract 1 from it (Y = X-1)
- Vertical spread to move the strike on your options down to get your purchase price back out. (now you're playing with house money)
- Open a good till canceled sell on your new contracts with a limit at Y multiple. (You've now made X but you won't be kicking yourself if this retard strength rally holds.)

Worst case scenario is you got to play for free. Best case scenario is you hit your target with more movement than you would have needed for it by not derisking.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

In your shoes I'd:

- Pick a multiple on my capital I'd like to get back (X)
- Subtract 1 from it (Y = X-1)
- Vertical spread to move the strike on your options down to get your purchase price back out. (now you're playing with house money)
- Open a good till canceled sell on your new contracts with a limit at Y multiple. (You've now made X but you won't be kicking yourself if this retard strength rally holds.)

Worst case scenario is you got to play for free. Best case scenario is you hit your target with more movement than you would have needed for it by not derisking.

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I appreciate it.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

So much for people switching brokers. Maybe this time they will :rolleyes:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is SPY seriously gaining now? :laffo:

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Pollyanna posted:

Is SPY seriously gaining now? :laffo:

I wouldn't say gaining, but it's found some temporary equilibrium off about 5.6% for the session.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, I mean, the current trajectory. I bought a single SPY when it was at like 277 (this is cash I already had in my brokerage acct), and it’s at 280 now.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Well, I mean, the current trajectory. I bought a single SPY when it was at like 277 (this is cash I already had in my brokerage acct), and it’s at 280 now.

Grats on buying at a local bottom:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Sitting here patiently awaiting another very savvy ~rate cut~

Baddog
May 12, 2001
If it gets anywhere near -2%, buying more puts!

Puts are close to 10% of my net worth now, bit crazy - but thats how it was supposed to work. Still down a bit overall, you need more options than you think to completely net out.

I'm not sure that this strategy was the best for minimizing taxes, I'm gonna owe a lot if this keeps up and there is still an IRS next year.

Hey - amazon is gonna get a ton of use when people stop wanting to go out to get groceries (and everything else). I'm already way overweight AMZN, but something to think about. As long as they can keep their logistics going (might be a challenge).

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants
Sold a vxx call I bought for 54 dollars for 1000 this morning. Psychologically I think I might feel better completely missing out then taking these tiny positions that are up a ridiculous amount, but who knows.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If I cheer on the downfall of Bitcoin will I accrue massive amounts of bad karma?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Had to close a bunch of calls worthless from previous month. RIP Virgin Galactic calls.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Tried to close my Hertz puts....that ain't fuckin' happening apparently.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Whoa

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Honestly, the price action is not that bad, particularly if you aren't involved in Energy.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

If I cheer on the downfall of Bitcoin will I accrue massive amounts of bad karma?

Maybe on reddit

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

There's actually some action in VIX 100 contracts this morning.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Robinhood apparently down again.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/jules_su/status/1236830234135138305?s=19

Is this bad? It seems bad.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

FWIW a good amount of the morning selloff has been bought up. Not likely to hold but at least it happened.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

fougera posted:

Honestly, the price action is not that bad, particularly if you aren't involved in Energy.

This is partly why I don't want to be holding SPY puts right now. I don't think the entire market is as hosed as this says it is. Just certain industries are going to tank and some companies will bust but some will remain untouched and others will thrive by people staying home. Maybe I'm underestimating the amount of jobs that will be lost.

That's your price, you really think they are paying anywhere close to what they are charging for 1 barrel to buy tens of thousands?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I wonder how dumb it is to buy CVX on the "dip," but I'm thinking about it anyway