Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Thassa's Oracle is a weird instant win because I have no idea why it happens and the card will reveal none of its secrets as to why this fortune-telling Merfolk will instantly win the game when others don't.

So it ends up feeling like a game-end glitch where the victory screen arbitrarily pops up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

flatluigi posted:

love that this useless single-serving site doesn't even bother to include every ban

it's a gag you utter moron

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Thassa's Oracle is a weird instant win because I have no idea why it happens and the card will reveal none of its secrets as to why this fortune-telling Merfolk will instantly win the game when others don't.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQSEdyCG-Uk

Seeing all of the future = controlling all of the future!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ShaneB posted:

it's a gag you utter moron

it was posted completely seriously before and nothing about it even gestures towards being a joke

unless you consider bad podcast advertising inherently funny but then you probably wouldn't be so hostile about it

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Yeah, Pioneer seems fine? Turns out that all three combo decks running around are pretty fragile against common sideboard plans and have mediocre matchups against discard, which is sitting in the hands of a lot of the competitive field currently as Thoughtsieze remains the actual best card in the format. Heliod's generally the most resilient there due to getting to exist in a real deck instead of a pile of cards that only wins off the combo like Lotus/Inverter but Mono-White and Heliod Company haven't been putting up the numbers to convince folks it could be an actual threat.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

TheKingofSprings posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mQSEdyCG-Uk

Seeing all of the future = controlling all of the future!

Yeah but why doesn't Octoprophet do it? Or any of the other oracles?

It just sort of wins.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

underworld breach was the most “obviously going to be banned in legacy” card printed since treasure cruise

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I think I'm just upset Octoprophet isn't the metagame-defining card, mind.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If we’re doing a flavor exploration, Thassa’s Oracle is more likely to win you the game the higher your devotion is to blue, meaning she can see further into the future to the eventuality that you will win. It’s like Dr. Strange in Endgame. There are only a few possible timelines where you win, and Oracle can only see as many timelines as you have devotion.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, Pioneer seems fine? Turns out that all three combo decks running around are pretty fragile against common sideboard plans and have mediocre matchups against discard, which is sitting in the hands of a lot of the competitive field currently as Thoughtsieze remains the actual best card in the format. Heliod's generally the most resilient there due to getting to exist in a real deck instead of a pile of cards that only wins off the combo like Lotus/Inverter but Mono-White and Heliod Company haven't been putting up the numbers to convince folks it could be an actual threat.

Our group talked about how pioneer is balanced around Thoughtseize. Seems like that's actually the case.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

flatluigi posted:

it was posted completely seriously before and nothing about it even gestures towards being a joke

unless you consider bad podcast advertising inherently funny but then you probably wouldn't be so hostile about it

Two hilarious hot takes in one day! Where's the patreon?

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Surprised, but glad, to see breach banned in legacy. Now I hope it just doesn't turn into snow piles or they ban Astrolabe.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s funny to hear the comparisons to YawgWin vs Breach because by virtually every metric that matters, Breach is simply the stronger card.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My primary take on no Pioneer bans and using Inverter's 49% WR as justification is that many people are bad with a deck that has an extremely high power level. That's probably a fine thing for most players but it's going to continue to make tournament play look funny. It was like 1/3 of the top 32 of the most recent Pioneer Showcase Challenge.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ShaneB posted:

My primary take on no Pioneer bans and using Inverter's 49% WR as justification is that many people are bad with a deck that has an extremely high power level. That's probably a fine thing for most players but it's going to continue to make tournament play look funny. It was like 1/3 of the top 32 of the most recent Pioneer Showcase Challenge.

1/3 is less than 49%. :smug:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

1/3 is less than 49%. :smug:

M-m-m-mark is that you?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

So it ends up feeling like a game-end glitch where the victory screen arbitrarily pops up.

From a very terrible article on the mothership about word counts on cards:

quote:

For a while, this card had just its first two sentences of rules text. It was powerful, but continually underwhelming. It just didn't feel rare, and multiple designers said so. So I added sentence number three—the one that maybe, sometimes, outright wins you the game. Now it had cachet. Now it turned heads. No one kicked Thassa's Oracle out of their fancy club anymore—but now it had a target on its back.

In his initial call to action regarding wordiness, Aaron mentioned a handful of cards by name. This was one of them.

Boss Man says: "Thassa's Oracle—the most egregious rare. Has almost twice as many words as most normal rares. I assume it's still tournament viable without the alt-win, and this might not be the right place to add that kind of stuff."

Ian agreed with Aaron. He supported taking the alternate-win condition off the card, feeling that it'd still be a plausible rare without that ability. Andrew Brown and I supported the status quo. The alt-win gave the card (and the set!) a certain je ne sais quoi that we were reluctant to lose. We looked at different deck-manipulation procedures, but the ones that were easier to read were harder to perform. In both cases, the extra words were worth it. I also looked into dropping the reminder text, but since the reminder text could fit, we were supposed to keep it. Ultimately, we saved enough words on other cards that this one swam right through.

You know how at the end of Ocean's Eleven, it turns out the heist wasn't really about the money after all—it was about the Julia Roberts character? Thassa's Oracle is our Julia Roberts. And that whole Ocean's Thirteen thing was a huge misdirect.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It seems weird to be that proud of yet another labman effect. When i saw the card I didnt think "cool", I thought "again??"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i just remembered like half a year or so ago when we were mostly saying "ah, play design influenced sets are coming up and now things will get sorted out for The Formats."

lol

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Pretty sure they were explicitly not looking at all the formats and that was clear from the beginning. If you thought otherwise that's kinda on you.

edit: on the other hand, Veil of Summer!?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Frgrbrgr posted:

From a very terrible article on the mothership about word counts on cards:

wait so the original design was just omenspeaker? and they thought it would see competitive play? lol

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

odiv posted:

Pretty sure they were explicitly not looking at all the formats and that was clear from the beginning. If you thought otherwise that's kinda on you.

edit: on the other hand, Veil of Summer!?

At this point I don’t really think they’re looking at any format beyond draft

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

little munchkin posted:

wait so the original design was just omenspeaker? and they thought it would see competitive play? lol

Omenspeaker did see competitive play but as a part of Standard Mono-U devotion when it had much more reasonable payoffs. Callaphe is no Master of Waves.

A weirder Omenspeaker for UU wouldn't be much of a rare, though, I'd agree.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TheKingofSprings posted:

This doesn't explain the mythic and rare that ruin Theros limited at all.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Maybe, like with The Promised End, they would just stop the playtesting game when someone landed a Trawler instead of playing it out and seeing how annoying it was to play against.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

quote:

Dream Trawler got an ability lopped off, leaving it with a mere four (!) abilities. (You'll see this one tomorrow from AllieStrasza)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

This doesn't explain the mythic and rare that ruin Theros limited at all.

Look my first statement was just gonna be that they sit around playing drinking games all day but I wanted to be at least a little charitable

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

odiv posted:

Maybe, like with The Promised End, they would just stop the playtesting game when someone landed a Trawler instead of playing it out and seeing how annoying it was to play against.

We must force the playtesters to have higher stake matches so they can't just forfeit. I propose the loser takes 10 lashes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The idea that they would be play testing against a Dream Trawler and immediately just scoop their cards up instead of trying to play the game out is equally damning if not more so than if they had played the games out, discovered how lovely it was to play against, and left it in anyways

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

odiv posted:

I propose a new keyword for permanents: Quietus. "If this permanent is untapped and you control it during your draw step, you win the game."

They can just print one word instead of all this text that amounts to the same thing AND the new player draft and card evaluation experience for insane overpushed bombs will be a lot more intuitive.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

The idea that they would be play testing against a Dream Trawler and immediately just scoop their cards up instead of trying to play the game out is equally damning if not more so than if they had played the games out, discovered how lovely it was to play against, and left it in anyways
Unless I'm misremembering, this is what we were told happened with Emrakul. They want to playtest as much as possible so when they were faced with what seemed like an unwinnable situation they'd just move to the next game, so they rarely (or never?) actually had to play an Emrakul game through to its conclusion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That makes way more sense to me because in all but the most complicated EDH board states a single Emrakul swing does LITERALLY kill you.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's still a beater and you're probably dead, but also nowhere near as a sure a game-ender as the first one.

Also you have to let someone have a full turn of yours where they spend a bunch of time trying to maximize the damage they can do, which sucks to wait for if the game is just going to end on the spot after that.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

odiv posted:

Unless I'm misremembering, this is what we were told happened with Emrakul. They want to playtest as much as possible so when they were faced with what seemed like an unwinnable situation they'd just move to the next game, so they rarely (or never?) actually had to play an Emrakul game through to its conclusion.

In my experience, any time someone was taking my turn with emrakul, that turn took excruciatingly long and felt even longer due to me basically sitting with my hands on the table staring at my opponent playing solitaire.

Yeah the game was effectively over, but if the match is 1-1, I'm still gonna play it out.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Exactly. And that's even more true the higher the stakes, which is why we got to watch people play that poo poo out on camera.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

flatluigi posted:

the page is pretty clearly a joke

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this was posted into the commander thread, potential new mechanics/spoilers from some sort of edh deck
https://www.reddit.com/r/mtg/comments/fftx94/potential_symbiotic_swarm_decklist_leak/

Merge W (This creature becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it and any number of Auras enchanting it to target creature. Merge only as a sorcery. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)

it could, of course, all be fake

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Ah, licids. I missed licids, and all their dumb interactions.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

this was posted into the commander thread, potential new mechanics/spoilers from some sort of edh deck
https://www.reddit.com/r/mtg/comments/fftx94/potential_symbiotic_swarm_decklist_leak/

Merge W (This creature becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it and any number of Auras enchanting it to target creature. Merge only as a sorcery. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)

it could, of course, all be fake

Whiptongue Frog is already a card that exists, soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
That's super-fake, considering we already know the big Ikoria mechanic is called mutate and that it somehow involves attaching cards to other cards.