Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Agrikk posted:

The most frustrating part about this story is that when they called months later after you’d already cancelled service, you probably said something like, “WTF? I cancelled this install two months ago after you guys repeatedly dropped the ball.”

They probably said, “Ooops! Our bad!” and then hung up and not a drat thing changed.

The fact that there is no way to punish these companies for their utter disregard for customer time raises my blood pressure.

The fun thing is if you think this gets better when you're a "big customer" you're wrong. Ordering to a datacenter (vs. office building), on-net, 100G interface speed. Nope, same poo poo show, different paperwork. We basically keep a log of what the various carriers typically gently caress up so we know what to expect. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Anybody have recommendations for remote assistance programs? Looking more and more likely that WFH will be enforced where I work and my department would like to get some software to facilitate user assistance.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

We use Microsoft's SCCM Remote Control program. It's very bare bones, but works most of the time, and doesn't require any extra licenses on top.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Vargatron posted:

Anybody have recommendations for remote assistance programs? Looking more and more likely that WFH will be enforced where I work and my department would like to get some software to facilitate user assistance.

If you have a win10 fleet the onboard remote assistance program does wonders as it has added bridged networking (like teamviewer). We mostly use that or teams desktop share when we are in a pinch.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vargatron posted:

if you use zoom, its remote sharing functionality is actually quite good. lets you type in secure fields for entering passwords and poo poo.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Teams screen sharing adds an additional mouse cursor from the person helping, with their avatar flying around. It's nice.

SlowBloke posted:

If you have a win10 fleet the onboard remote assistance program does wonders as it has added bridged networking (like teamviewer). We mostly use that or teams desktop share when we are in a pinch.

is that Quick Assist? It got a lot more useful when it started working with Azure AD accounts rather than requiring people to log in with a personal MS account. What do you mean by the networking changes?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

if you use zoom, its remote sharing functionality is actually quite good. lets you type in secure fields for entering passwords and poo poo.

Zoom is hosted in the US so heads up if you're not American. We couldn't use it for that reason.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Teams screen sharing adds an additional mouse cursor from the person helping, with their avatar flying around. It's nice.

is that Quick Assist? It got a lot more useful when it started working with Azure AD accounts rather than requiring people to log in with a personal MS account. What do you mean by the networking changes?

Windows 7 remote assist didn’t work well on different networks(if the computer you wanted to connect on is not on your lan, you are pretty much screwed), win10 quick assist will work fine on different networks by bouncing on Microsoft servers.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 9, 2020

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry about your shits.

I love it here. Will probably never leave. If I did, I'd probably check out Calgary. Never been, but it seems like the Denver of Canada.

My current commute is a 5 minute walk, which is pretty nice.

Can confirm Calgary is pretty great. Don't come to Edmonton whatever you do, it's not worth it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Don't come to Edmonton whatever you do, it's not worth it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Can confirm Calgary is pretty great. Don't come to Edmonton whatever you do, it's not worth it.

All of Alberta is a shithole and it's getting worse fast.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Psh, clearly a Lib if you don't think the oil boom will come back just as soon as that new pipeline gets built

/s

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is also correct.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Can someone explain why faxing is such a huge industry even though no one uses actual fax machines anymore? I know email isn't secure so is there something special about how "faxes" are now sent?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Bonzo posted:

Can someone explain why faxing is such a huge industry even though no one uses actual fax machines anymore? I know email isn't secure so is there something special about how "faxes" are now sent?

Legal reasons. In a lot of countries faxes have more legal value than emails or snail mail(esp. in healthcare).

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Bonzo posted:

Faxes are grandfathered in to be exempt from more recent regulatory requirements. Recent being > 2001

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's not about security.

In some processes lawmakers have said that faxes are fine, or even equivalent to sending dead tree. People got used to it but can't figure out scanner and mailing, in no small part because software is garbage, printers are hot garbage, scanners are the devil, and combining all of them leads to tears and suffering.

And I beg to differ regarding fax machines. They are absolutely everywhere.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Antigravitas posted:

And I beg to differ regarding fax machines. They are absolutely everywhere.

Well most people isn't aware of having a fax, as pretty much every MFP has a fax builtin.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

No, I mean a literal single-purpose fax machine. Absolutely everywhere, especially around anything manufacturing related. MFPs are garbage at faxing.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

nielsm posted:

We use Microsoft's SCCM Remote Control program. It's very bare bones, but works most of the time, and doesn't require any extra licenses on top.

I really like this option for our remote desktop support techs because aside from no extra license, it still bypasses UAC blacking out the screen on admin prompts, unlike 'regular' built in remote assistance or (shudder) skype screenshare.

However, I've noticed that one of the last updates (1901?) makes it so it only shares the initial primary (or what it thinks of as primary) client's screen, and you have to select an option to see both screens, which disconnects and reconnects you to the client. IF you have the updated program version. If you updated configuration manager but not the remote control program, you'll only ever get to see one screen. I don't feel a need any more to ask why Microsoft would make their solution more annoying to use.

One other thing that's super annoying to me now: For remote connecting a Mac to a Mac, easy to share a session among clients with built in VNC and super easy with jamf for our techs. For remote connecting Mac to a PC, MS Remote Desktop for mac actually, surprisingly, checks all the boxes, works great. For PC to a Mac? You need RealVNC or UltraVNC on the PC, and a successful connection is absolute garbage; no permutation of client/host config I have found, with multiple network config attempts ruling that out, has resulted in over 1 frame per second. :(

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

Remote assistant doesn't support remote UAC, so it's a deal breaker for us.

Main reason we are still running Dameware

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
If UAC and remoting is such a big issue, nothing stops you from having the prompt not being untouchable from the userspace(I know it’s not safe). It’s just a gpo away.
We had to do so on roadwarrior laptops as sccm remoting wasn’t able to work properly when uac came up.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 9, 2020

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

no clue how much it costs but as far as just working goes bomgar is tough to beat - connects to local or remote devices easily and can pin sessions with elevated permissions if needed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SlowBloke posted:

If UAC and remoting is such a big issue, nothing stops you from having the prompt not being untouchable from the userspace(I know it’s not safe). It’s just a gpo away.
We had to do so on roadwarrior laptops as sccm remoting wasn’t able to work properly when uac came up.

Not a big issue as Dameware handles it fine. :smug:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For background: My relationship with my manager is bad, he does not like me, I do not like him. He does not like me challenging him, I do not like a manager who only acts as a broken mail server occasionally forwarding irrelevant emails. I am on a temporary contract thanks to him and I'm only sticking around while I look for :yotj:

So my contract is expiring end of the month and today I had a 1-on-1 with my manager to discuss it and instead of that he starts nitpicking about poo poo I'm not doing right according to him. Guess I was more burnt out on this job than I realised so I told him he was a bad manager, I was not interested in his feedback and that I would not be renewing my contract.

Gonna sit out the rest of my time at home and spend my time productively.

Sprechensiesexy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 9, 2020

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sprechensiesexy posted:

For background: My relationship with my manager is bad, he does not like me, I do not like him. He does not like me challenging him, I do not like a manager who only acts as a broken mail server occasionally forwarding irrelevant emails. I am on a temporary contract thanks to him and I'm only sticking around while I look for :yotj:

So my contract is expiring end of the month and today I had a 1-on-1 with my manager to discuss it and instead of that he starts nitpicking about poo poo I'm not doing right according to him. Guess I was more burnt out on this job than I realised so I told him he was a bad manager, I was not interested in his feedback and that I would not be renewing my contract.

Gonna sit out the rest of my time at home and spend my time productively.

What did he say?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MF_James posted:

What did he say?

I was focusing on our cloud infrastructure since I'm the only one on our team who wants to learn new things and has any commercial awareness. He thinks that's not important even though the whole business disagrees strongly with him.

Was the 4th time we had this conversation since Christmas.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How’d he react to someone having a spine?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Sprechensiesexy posted:

In my mind, you ended this with a mic drop and a 'peace out' and I refuse to be told otherwise.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Wow. I just discovered that "Domain Users" have "FULL CONTROL" over all the folders on one of our Public Safety servers. Some of these drives even have explicit shares created for them so you can just type the name of the server into the browser and, boom! here's a list of everything anyone in this org with a login can completely gently caress up. Nice job.

I already emailed everyone on my team and I'm removing everything except domain admins fright the gently caress now.

I can't WAIT for the results of this scream test.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Can anyone recommend a simple ticket system?

Being a IT department of one, and getting busier, I feel like it would be easier to keep track of one-off tasks by treating them as tickets and being able to put notes as things progress along, etc..

It is inevitable I will eventually no longer be a IT department of one.. so figured I should get into doing it this way now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Have you heard the good word of Spiceworks?

DONT

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I never had to administer it so it might be a nightmare, but Zendesk seems pretty good if all you need is ticketing, no inventory management or anything. I've used it at a couple jobs and it has been the least painful of the ones I've tried.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Freshdesk works quite nicely, and it has SSO on every tier including the free starter one.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Have you heard the good word of Spiceworks?

DONT

It's hard to overstate how bad Spiceworks is these days. It has a lot of momentum from being the premier free helpdesk application nearly a decade ago, but it should now be avoided at all costs.

We're using Freshservice here, but the same company makes Freshdesk which has a free tier.
link: https://freshdesk.com/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
OTRS wasn't the worst thing I've used.

For what it was and when I used it. RT was really fantastic.
https://bestpractical.com/request-tracker

I can't speak for it lately as it's been like 9 years since I've used it.

Edit:
Apparently someone is spoofing one of our numbers so one of our offices is getting like a million calls back from people saying "I missed a call from this number?"
They want me to stop those people from calling in but not affect the people that NEED to call them.

Like how the gently caress even do you propose I do that?? Phone tele-pathy??? :smug:

If that was even remotely possible I would be a loving millionaire and spam calls would no longer exist.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 9, 2020

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

We've been using OTRS for ages but might want to switch because we've had a string of bad SMIME bugs with it.

A lot of ticket systems seem to focus on some convoluted web crap but that's not how we work. The public interface for everyone in the org is email. They send to our published mail addresses, they get mail back. We prioritise and sort incoming tickets ourselves. Only people answering tickets ever interact with the web trash.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Antigravitas posted:

We've been using OTRS for ages but might want to switch because we've had a string of bad SMIME bugs with it.

A lot of ticket systems seem to focus on some convoluted web crap but that's not how we work. The public interface for everyone in the org is email. They send to our published mail addresses, they get mail back. We prioritise and sort incoming tickets ourselves. Only people answering tickets ever interact with the web trash.

Also, the "mobile app" is trash.

We ran OTRS for years, I was the lucky one who got to install/configure/upgrade it, it was decent as a system, but yeah running your own ticket system is dumb unless you're big.

Thirding Freshdesk, it was, shall we say, a breath of fresh air after OTRS. It does some stupid things as it tries to Apple-ize everything so there are a couple of annoyances where the system won't let you do something that should be easy (the biggest one I can think of is you can't randomly email a third party from a ticket if they're not the contact on the ticket, or rather, you can cc them but the email will always be going to the contact on the ticket. You can "forward" the ticket to that person, or you can edit the ticket contact to be the person you want to email and then edit it back to the original contact, but emailing from the ticket will always set the "to" field to the contact on the ticket. I sent a very angry message to their support about this and was told "this is how helpdesks run fix your process", i.e. in their mind I'm doing it wrong. Which just made me more angry, imagine me actually being my avatar for once, but oh well).

But yeah if you can live within the system's parameters, and if you're a one man helpdesk I certainly think you can, it just allows you to get on with ticketing instead of loving around with the ticket system.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
We use OTRS, not terribly happy about it (esp with the mobile experience) but there is pretty much no ticketing system I am fond of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The Fool posted:

It's hard to overstate how bad Spiceworks is these days. It has a lot of momentum from being the premier free helpdesk application nearly a decade ago, but it should now be avoided at all costs.

Want to hear more about this, there a site or blog or something that explains what happened? Like many haven't used it in probably 10 years, but it wasn't terrible back then. If you had zero budget and needed light inventory and ticketing it was usable.