Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Squizzle posted:

redistribution

where's my free avatar

so much for the tolerant left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

T-man posted:

where's my free avatar

so much for the tolerant left

did you pay for the one you have now

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Squizzle posted:

redistribution

:tipshat:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Squizzle posted:

did you pay for the one you have now

poo poo

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Never thought I'd see it

https://twitter.com/RegulusAnon/status/1236434957242970112?s=19

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thats crazy.... why would ancaps do this..

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey. so as a still-unaffiliated leftist looking to learn more theory so that i'm not metaphorically wandering aimlessly trying to achieve praxis, i'm trying to read "what is to be done?"

is there like a "for dummies" series of books on leftist thought? because this poo poo is giving me a headache and my material situation is such that i don't have the time nor the inclination to parse ornate prose into something that this dumbass who was radicalized in the gutter can understand.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hate it when the liberals fight

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Hate it when the liberals fight

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

hey. so as a still-unaffiliated leftist looking to learn more theory so that i'm not metaphorically wandering aimlessly trying to achieve praxis, i'm trying to read "what is to be done?"

is there like a "for dummies" series of books on leftist thought? because this poo poo is giving me a headache and my material situation is such that i don't have the time nor the inclination to parse ornate prose into something that this dumbass who was radicalized in the gutter can understand.

the communist manifesto is the "for dummies" book on marxism. you definitely dont want to start with lenin.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

If you ain't NOJOE you ain't poo poo

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the communist manifesto is the "for dummies" book on marxism

i have an american public school education from a severly underfunded school district. my vocabulary is in spite of, not because of.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

the communist manifesto is the "for dummies" book on marxism. you definitely dont want to start with lenin.

imo engel's principles of communism is a better intro

also how do you get nojoe?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Ruzihm posted:

imo engel's principles of communism is a better intro

yeah

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/11/prin-com.htm

https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1848/communist-manifesto/ch01.htm

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
theory is very fascinating but every time I read Lenin or Marx I can tell they’re referencing a bunch of other poo poo I haven’t read and then I am paralyzed by the fear I’ll never fully understand what they’re saying.

I just need to buck up and start fresh, state and revolution was actually pretty neat from what I read of it.

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lightning Knight posted:

theory is very fascinating but every time I read Lenin or Marx I can tell they’re referencing a bunch of other poo poo I haven’t read and then I am paralyzed by the fear I’ll never fully understand what they’re saying.

I just need to buck up and start fresh, state and revolution was actually pretty neat from what I read of it.

its mostly economic papers from the 19th century that no longer exist in lenin's case, or that or some esoteric literary reference from marx

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
You could start with Adam Smith who is a pretty easy read. Then maybe Ricardo if you want, then Marx. That helps lay out the evolution of the LTV.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Ruzihm posted:

Since everyone but me is an rear end in a top hat, you get it by toxxing in the "never vote for Joe biden" thread currently stickied in cspam, whenever our allegedly non-pedophile nazis hardworking moderator team gets through their queue.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

i have an american public school education from a severly underfunded school district. my vocabulary is in spite of, not because of.

I'm from georgia and grew up + live in rural indiana and if I can read the goddamn manifesto then you can too

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
marx isnt even a particularly challenging writer, i think that reputation just comes from the density of certain chapters of Das Kapital

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

marx isnt even a particularly challenging writer, i think that reputation just comes from the density of certain chapters of Das Kapital

referencing ricardo and french books i haven't read is a little off putting

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

at least its not as bad some dostoevsky translations tho that just leave entire french phrases in because gently caress you if you dont know french

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

You could start with Adam Smith who is a pretty easy read. Then maybe Ricardo if you want, then Marx. That helps lay out the evolution of the LTV.

Ricardo is okay, but going through Wealth of Nations just as a prelude to Marx is asking a bit much.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Anti-Dühring is the classical commie bible but like basically all of Lenin's stuff it's a polemic, and unlike Lenin's stuff it's also big. I imagine there must be a modern work that does roughly the same thing in a less demanding form, but among the classical stuff it seems to one of a kind in that it tries to expose the basics of the whole worldview. Right, and Stalin attempts to be the Engels to Lenin in the Foundations of Leninism, and it's not a polemic and not huge, but it's sort of something to get you up to date after already having read Anti-Dühring and doesn't reiterate the old stuff.

The Communist Manifesto is ironic in that when you know nothing about marxism, it doesn't give you much as a text because it's just a soon 175 year old manifesto. Only when you've been into marxism for a while, the manifesto starts looking like some anime power-reveal, like after maybe 5 years in development marxism could produce something that was more correct in the future than it when was when written.

Anarchists have always been way better at writing comprehensive intros.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

at least its not as bad some dostoevsky translations tho that just leave entire french phrases in because gently caress you if you dont know french

They do this with tolstoy to I assume it's because they I assume you're reading it to be pretentious. So you don't actually need to know wtf is going on

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

das kapital goes from completely understandable to nearly unreadably dense between some chapters, though that was my experience a few years ago in a much worse headspace

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1237329269342306307

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

orb mother didn’t read enough theory

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

dex_sda posted:

das kapital goes from completely understandable to nearly unreadably dense between some chapters, though that was my experience a few years ago in a much worse headspace

definitely, but i just mean that its not because his writing is difficult to parse or that you need an advanced reading level or anything, its just dry af. all his other works ive read have been surprisingly breezy even for a dumbass like me

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Some beginner stuff:

The Communist Manifesto
Companion to Marx’s Capital: The Complete Edition - David Harvey <—— This is really good.

Other important texts:

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Spector of Inverted Totaliarianism - Sheldon S. Wolin
A brief History of Neoliberalism - David Harvey
Friendly Fascism - Bertrand Gross

Anything by David Harvey and Noam Chomsky is great, too.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I started reading The Meaning of Marxism by Paul D'Amato yesterday on my partner's recommendation. If it's good I'll start a read-through thread, if not I'll have to find something else.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Just got On Stalin’s Team by Sheila Fitzpatrick

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

A4R8 posted:

Some beginner stuff:

The Communist Manifesto
Companion to Marx’s Capital: The Complete Edition - David Harvey <—— This is really good.

Other important texts:

Democracy Incorporated: Managed Democracy and the Spector of Inverted Totaliarianism - Sheldon S. Wolin
A brief History of Neoliberalism - David Harvey
Friendly Fascism - Bertrand Gross

Anything by David Harvey and Noam Chomsky is great, too.

I almost had a kneejerk reaction against this list but I guess it's actually probably very good to critically engage with high quality, politically relevant socdem thought. More people will have heard of and learned to care about its concepts than commie stuff. I just feel that Harvey and Chomsky deserve huge disclaimers that they've both made the theoretical leap to politically oppose the radicalism of their intellectual influences and their self-association with radical thought forces them to subtly bring it down to their level.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Harvey's fine if he gets you to read Marx. I got into Marxism through his critical geography work, incidentally.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I started reading The Meaning of Marxism by Paul D'Amato yesterday on my partner's recommendation. If it's good I'll start a read-through thread, if not I'll have to find something else.

It was my first introduction to Marxist ideas. I felt it was very digestible and illuminated a lot of things for me.

A4R8
Feb 28, 2020

uncop posted:

I almost had a kneejerk reaction against this list but I guess it's actually probably very good to critically engage with high quality, politically relevant socdem thought. More people will have heard of and learned to care about its concepts than commie stuff. I just feel that Harvey and Chomsky deserve huge disclaimers that they've both made the theoretical leap to politically oppose the radicalism of their intellectual influences and their self-association with radical thought forces them to subtly bring it down to their level.

Don’t get me wrong, I much prefer the Marxist intellectuals out there like Richard Wolff, et cetera; however, the Overton Window in this country has moved so far right it results in the Democratic Party standing for literally nothing but the further ideological entrenchment of inverted totalitarianism and social fascism within the body politic.

Chris Hedges is good, too. “Socdem” thought is enough to radically change this country for the better, even though I much prefer the abolishment of capitalism altogether. Case in point:

https://twitter.com/truthdig/status/1237023284732051456?s=21

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr. Lobe posted:

It was my first introduction to Marxist ideas. I felt it was very digestible and illuminated a lot of things for me.

Fantastic, that's exactly what my partner's told me. She's been trying to get certain things about Marxism (particularly why it's not merely liberalism-plus) to click for a while and has found D'Amato very instructive.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

this is good imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

Ricardo is okay, but going through Wealth of Nations just as a prelude to Marx is asking a bit much.

Sure, it depends on how deep you want to go. But I think it's helpful to trace the evolution of the LTV and understand that when Marx picked it up, he was using it as part of the tradition of economics up to that point, and not some kind of anti-classic edgelord, which is the way he's treated by a lot of neoclassical jackasses.