Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ahahaha they couldn't work out how to draw the stump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
The books approximate a 17th century European world, minus the widespread knowledge of gunpowder. People forget that up until relatively recently, people dressed far more formally than they do today. For example, what we think of as business attire, a suit and a tie, is properly known as 'Informal'. Even as recently as the early to mid 20th century, a suit and tie was just what you put on when you left the house to go about your business. People didn't go wandering around in just a shirt.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Thank you, Mr. Whirlpool.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

As little food as Rand eats he should look like a skeleton.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Invalid Validation posted:

As little food as Rand eats he should look like a skeleton.

Eh far dareis mai makes sure he eats.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Other than the occasional exotic meats, Aiel food seems pretty good what with them being the only people in Randland with tomatoes and corn. That plus the liberal use of chillies gives their cuisine kind of a mexican vibe.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Domani food sounded good too, chopsticks and tangy sauces.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Domani food sounded good too, chopsticks and tangy sauces.

I mean it's basically chinese food. Who doesn't love chinese food?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Exactly. Some of it sounded a little more American Chinese tbh but still.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I really did like the "you're at war with them, why are you eating their food" "look, people like exotic food, maybe they'll start eating our weird jelly and lamb dishes who knows" conversation.

And "Thom gestured with the soursa. He used them effortlessly, hmph"

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Ahahaha they couldn't work out how to draw the stump

It's a good way of avoiding spoilers for potential fans browsing the covers, as well.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Huh. Never occurred to me.

Also nominate your favourite series moments

Mine has to be Rand yelling at clouds after that one dude catches fire

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Mat deciding people were insane after he bit into a lemon.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Favorite? drat. I dunno. Probably verin in that scene.

Might be tuon musing about a lion loose upon the plains.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Nynaeve dropping Lan at the wrong end of the Borderlands.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Mat beating the poo poo out of Gawain and Galad with a quarterstaff

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Vavrek posted:

Mat deciding people were insane after he bit into a lemon.

Wait when was this

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Zore posted:

The drill master setting that up was hilarious.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Anias posted:

The drill master setting that up was hilarious.

Yeah but Galad and Gawyn kill him a book later

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Nynaeve's abnormally high irony stat result in some of my favorite standalone moments in the books.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Yeah but Galad and Gawyn kill him a book later

Gawyn does, Galad nopes the gently caress out of there to join the KKK for awhile

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

To be fair Galad also turns them into Not The KKK

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Zore posted:

yeah honestly it's probably this. not SUPER GRAND EPIC but very satisfying, everyone loves seeing rich kids lose. Mat is still only like halfway recovered during this too, if that. because of this scene it's also my belief that quarterstaff>swords forever

Brolander fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 10, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Brolander posted:

yeah honestly it's probably this. not SUPER GRAND EPIC but very satisfying, everyone loves seeing rich kids lose. Mat is still only like halfway recovered during this too, if that. because of this scene it's also my belief that quarterstaff>swords

You're not far wrong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afqhBODc_8U

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Zore posted:

This is definitely top 3, along with either of the Gholam showdowns.

I think Rand's fight with Lanfear in the Wastes is up there too. It's a nice demo of the subtleties of fighting with the Power plus Rand's internal struggles, the entire sequence is just so bleak.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Wait when was this

In Ebou Dar at some point, it's mentioned that the locals enjoy a particular refreshing drink, made from these little yellow fruits. Mat recollects biting in to one of those little yellow fruits to see what it's like and cannot believe that people would enjoy something made from them, and refuses to try the drink.

edit: found it!

A Crown of Swords, Ch. 23: Bread and Cheese posted:

“I do not remember them saying,” Juilin said wryly, and took a long swallow of some drink made from a yellow fruit grown in the countryside. “You’ve asked that fifty times, at least.” He claimed the pale drink was refreshing in the heat, but Mat had taken a bite of one of those lemons, and he was not about to swallow anything made from them. With his head still throbbing faintly, he himself drank tea. It tasted as if the tavernkeeper, a scrawny fellow with beady suspicious eyes, had been dumping new leaves and water in yesterday’s leavings since the founding of the city. The taste suited his mood.

I didn't realize the text actually said they were lemons.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 10, 2020

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mine has to be Rand yelling at clouds after that one dude catches fire

There's too many to pick, but I'm rereading The Great Hunt and Rand saying literally the worst things to piss off Selene i.e. asking Mierin, who turned to the Shadow and choosing to become Lanfear when she was passed over for Aes Sedai and the Third Name asking over and over if she's actually Aes Sedai is hilarious.

Also him being so prudish and stubborn he resists her attempts to manipulate him with weaves

Drone Jett posted:

Nynaeve dropping Lan at the wrong end of the Borderlands.

But this is probably it, along with her making him promise to accept everyone that wanted to come along

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Mat is such a fun character he is criminally underused. I don’t inherently like his personality much but when you combine it with being an unwilling hero, it’s a good match.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Sweet. I remember googling it and other WoT people had wondered about this, with Jordan's reputation for being a historical nerdlinger they figured he had a source and someone dug up an account fairly similar to Mat's victory, I'll see if I can find it again.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I could believe it, the reach advantage is gonna give you the edge. Unless you’re in a tight space or something.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I liked the part where they reeanacted that battle with Hannibal

When I read it I clasped my hand to my forehead and exclaimed “I cannae believe it”

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

The Ashaman arriving at Dumai's Wells is up there. It's such an abrupt gamechanger. Every book after that is different in scope and tone.

Mat's adventures with fireworks is one of my favorite running themes from the early books. I love when Thom loses his loving poo poo when Mat cuts one open.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 10, 2020

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll always be a fan of the rapid portal stone adventure.

*flash* wut
*flash* :(
*flash* :aaa:
*flash :gonk:

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

I'm re-reading, just finished The Great Hunt, Ingtar's confession is still really really good. Goes to show that Darkfriends can have their own motivations outside of beep boop must serve the dark lord because i'm evil

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

There's too many to pick, but I'm rereading The Great Hunt and Rand saying literally the worst things to piss off Selene i.e. asking Mierin, who turned to the Shadow and choosing to become Lanfear when she was passed over for Aes Sedai and the Third Name asking over and over if she's actually Aes Sedai is hilarious.

Also him being so prudish and stubborn he resists her attempts to manipulate him with weaves

But this is probably it, along with her making him promise to accept everyone that wanted to come along

Did Lanfear use weaves? The dreams, sure, but I thought she just used her outrageous hotness on a teenage virgin.

Oh, and i guess that pack of grolm that just kept coming

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

bell jar posted:

I'm re-reading, just finished The Great Hunt, Ingtar's confession is still really really good. Goes to show that Darkfriends can have their own motivations outside of beep boop must serve the dark lord because i'm evil

Oh yeah okay this one makes me a little teary eyed too.

Shinowa...and victory!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

a thing i like is how the main 3 all have their own version of 'i don't know poo poo about women but the other 2 do'

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

The first trip into Rhuidean

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

a thing i like is how the main 3 all have their own version of 'i don't know poo poo about women but the other 2 do'

Reading that post made me realize: They each have kind of a decent case to make, in both directions. Rand's a backcountry hick who's centerpoint of a peaceful and respectful poly relationship. Perrin has a loving and devoted wife, to whom he is equally devoted and loving. Mat, though I don't remember it ever actually taking up that much page-space, has friendly one-night stands with countless* tavernmaids.

Rand: Had basically nothing to do with courting his wives, and has no input on managing the relationship, is deeply confused.
Perrin: Cannot understand his wife's attempts to communicate despite literally being able to smell her moods.
Mat: Never had a long-term relationship before being kidnapped and forced into an abusive one.

The three of them never actually talk about this, so each has their own "I clearly don't know what I'm doing" reason, while seeing that the other two seem to have things figured out.

*as in, I don't have a number for it because it's always off-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Mat realizing that Birgitte is that Birgitte and the whole "Speak we what language, Sounder of the Horn?" thing.

Rand and Lews Therin coming to an accord at Dumai's Well.

Everything involving the Aelfinn and the Eelfinn.