Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I bought Stardew Valley because I'm going through a depression (yeah I know, goon cliché) and I need something that'll keep me at least a little distracted from my thoughts without being too tiring.

Is it me or is farming not the best way to make money? The crops take ages to grow, fishing seems much faster. I guess it's a scale thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Jamfrost posted:

Soooo... The Turok game plays smoothly and performs well, but it's Turok. You can also give yourself an indirect cross-hair with the automap.

Or you could turn on an actual crosshair in the gameplay->HUD options.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 9, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Phlegmish posted:

I bought Stardew Valley because I'm going through a depression (yeah I know, goon cliché) and I need something that'll keep me at least a little distracted from my thoughts without being too tiring.

Is it me or is farming not the best way to make money? The crops take ages to grow, fishing seems much faster. I guess it's a scale thing.

Early on fishing is definitely easy money, but eventually farming and livestock will far surpass it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Phlegmish posted:

Some crops (melons) are absolutely insane cash cows when they get going. Fishing is good early game but falls off once those money-makers come rolling in

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

grow hops, make boozes

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
The real money is in wine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i can't speak from personal experience but my one friend recommends becoming a mayonnaise baron

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Year 1 spring crops are very meh, but you'll want to maintain a garden of sorts to understand what farming is in the game to be ready for summer.

You can aim to grow to knock out the community center spring crops but that's kind of guide dang it for spring year 1 depending how much you rush the intro of the center to find out what crops.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Troubleshooter, that weird indie xcom finally has a release date!

quote:

Hello, this is the Troubleshooter development team.

We have planned to properly release Troubleshooter on April 13, 2020.

The road map we have planned to achieve before the release is shown below.

March Road Map

Add quests in Shooter Street available up to level 40
Add a Valkyrie shop. (You can purchase unique items that you missed out during missions)
Add scenario mission
Extend company masteries and add effects according to the level of the company
Apply as much user feedback as possible

April Road Map

Optimization and bug fixes
Game trailer renewal
Digital Artbook
Apply as much user feedback as possible

Everyone who showed interests and concerns for Troubleshooter.

Troubleshooter has been available on Steam as Early Access for two years and three months. Today, we would like to talk a little about ourselves.

We organized team DANDYLION in an attempt to create a turn-based RPG and were able to receive feedback during the Early Access. Thanks to your support, we could share an idea and communicate for better developments. The last two years have been a great pleasure for us.

Our beginning was trifling.
2 playable characters and 6 scenario stages
Less than 100 Steam reviews 4 months since Early Access
Only 80% positive reviews

However, thanks to all of your consistent participation and support during Early Access, we were able to update our game 74 times for the last two years. And Troubleshooter has seen improvements as follows.
9 playable characters
41 scenario missions
22 recurring quests and 10 violent case missions
More than 200 cut scenes
900 masteries, modules, additional masteries
Additional contents such as class changing, beast taming, crafting drones, foods
More than 1,500 Steam reviews
90% positive reviews

We sometimes had frustrating times. We even wanted to let go of our project. Nonetheless, your feedback and support kept us motivated. If it weren’t for all of you, our games would not have existed.

Regarding the decision to full release and to increase the price...

Despite your support and devotions from all our team members, Troubleshooter development team has been suffering difficulties in maintaining the team for a long time. Furthermore, each member spent more than five years for this project and we have come to the point in which mere desires and attachment for the game cannot hold us together.

For the above reasons, we are properly releasing the game along with the last scenario mission of the first episode.

We are properly releasing Troubleshooter despite its shortcomings. We will put all our efforts to improve the upcoming scenario mission and insufficient content to make a better Troubleshooter experience.

Moreover, starting on March 12th, we are planning to increase the price to 25$ to raise funds for game development.

We understand that many of you will not be happy about our decision of increasing the price for an incomplete game. We will do our best to make Troubleshooter worthy of the price by the time we release it properly.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Phlegmish posted:

It will surpass it once you get better tools to chops and waters in multiple squares.

I am not a fan of the village. It’s a bit too sad for my taste.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Glad I picked it up during the last sale, and also that I haven't started it yet!

I got dragged away from posting at the end of February but I'm back, and I'm going to fill in those last three platformer reviews I didn't get to this week. But I had to take a look at the Weeklong Deals too, which have a good mix of horror, sims, shooters, and a few of the platformers I recently covered. Here's my list of recommendations, if you need any.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Too Shy Guy posted:

Glad I picked it up during the last sale, and also that I haven't started it yet!

I got dragged away from posting at the end of February but I'm back, and I'm going to fill in those last three platformer reviews I didn't get to this week. But I had to take a look at the Weeklong Deals too, which have a good mix of horror, sims, shooters, and a few of the platformers I recently covered. Here's my list of recommendations, if you need any.

Cargo Commander is a must-buy if you haven’t played it yet. Fun gameplay and it’s got this incredible lonely and sad vibe to it that I loved.

Also it has a button to swear at enemies.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Phlegmish posted:

If I remember correctly I always just bought anything that ended in "berry" and I always made a ton of cash. There seems to be quite a few avenues to make money in Stardew.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

basically pc gaming adjacent: what is a decent inexpensive bluetooth headset? i've been using a wired headset with my phone for a while and love it but might as well prepare for not having a 3.5mm plug anymore

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shadow225 posted:

basically pc gaming adjacent: what is a decent inexpensive bluetooth headset? i've been using a wired headset with my phone for a while and love it but might as well prepare for not having a 3.5mm plug anymore

rule of thumb is headsets are horrible all around. it's another vector for somethingto break (and they do easily), usually made cheaper, and often a sacrifice of audio and voice quality. you're better off getting high-quality bluetooth headphones with a stand microphone like a black-friday deal yeti; or a clip-on bluetooth microphone that clap to your collar or something.

it's wireless, but not bluetooth but look into the HyperX Cloud https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZGRY9V/ as an option as well

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 9, 2020

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I like the Steel Series arctis 3, especially because it can be wired into one audio source (like my switch) and Bluetooth to another (like my phone or PC) So I can use discord while playing console games.

It's also only like 50$ which is a huge plus for me because I have no 💰

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

If I remember correctly I always just bought anything that ended in "berry" and I always made a ton of cash. There seems to be quite a few avenues to make money in Stardew.

Yeah, I've been reading this berry thing in a few different places. Seems that blueberries sell for less than melons, but you can harvest them multiple times, and turn them into jelly.

My plan so far is to plant all the berries, turn them into jelly, and make $$$.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I recommend reading up on what is available in the way of cheap True Wireless earphones these days. I recently bought some for under 50$ that last for up to five hours and come with a little charging box that is good for four to five recharges when full. It's not ideal for gaming, but for conventional phone use? They're great. Much less of a bother than a headset and depending on what you get, the audio quality is more than decent.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So on a whim I installed Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition, and just, gently caress me. 11 years and this game is still the drat gold standard of open world action games. So much goddamn fun.
Install a MOAB on a truck, slap a bunch of remote charges on it, floor it through the gates of some EDF compound and plow right through the building wall, haul rear end outta there, hit the detonator button and watch the whole loving thing blow sky high. It never gets less satisfying. I love this loving game.

Signed:
Space rear end in a top hat, in a truck, flying off a ridge.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa posted:

https://twitter.com/DOGSTRONGG/status/1236939741658001408

Good morning I don't understand how this could bother anyone

"Wtf where did my big beefy man hum go?"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Fifteen of Many posted:

Borderlands 1 question: my wife and I recently started a coop run and are dying a lot. Are there any beginner mistakes we may be making or general advice? We’re doing all the side quests we find but still find ourselves having to suicide run bosses or badasses.

1) Weapon affinity (or whatever it's called) is a trap. Don't pigeonhole yourself into specific weapon types just for the sake of the passive level ups. Even if your class has skills for a particular weapon, still branch out a bit because loot can be streaky and you're splitting it between two people.
2) All elemental weapons are good. As soon as you can start replacing basic guns with elemental ones things will pick up a bit. You might think "shooting this naked badass with an electric gun is pointless because he has no shield" but in actuality lightning suffers no penalty for off-type; you're still getting extra damage either way. Explosive weapons are universally good against everything. The only malus you really need to worry about is using fire against shields. That said, it can be difficult to parse how elemental stuff works in BL1. Best advice I have there is to find something with good base damage and then the higher the elemental multiplier on the top left of the item card the better.
3) Not all classes are equal. There are some really wonky progressive curves with the skill trees and some archetypes just kinda suck. Like I would avoid Brick entirely if you're not used to how the game works. Beyond that, stuff skill points into 1, maybe 2 skills at a time and focus on one tree specifically - those capstone skills are critical to get ASAP. On the plus side, respecs are cheap and always available.
4) Some early quests aren't balanced properly and even their listed level range lies to you. If you're struggling/already struggled against the big Skag lair section or against Scar that's unfortunately business as usual.
5) Co-op scaling in general can be a bit busted. It won't be as noticeable with only two players, but there are still some rough spots. Particularly boss fights.
6) Always be checking the vending machines, especially the gun ones. BL1 vending machines can be very generous with what they generate and you can often find incredible weapons just waiting to be bought rather than found.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 10, 2020

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Fifteen of Many posted:

Borderlands 1 question: my wife and I recently started a coop run and are dying a lot. Are there any beginner mistakes we may be making or general advice? We’re doing all the side quests we find but still find ourselves having to suicide run bosses or badasses.

Any Double Anarchy SMG will last you for as long as you care to go, as long as you get close enough to actually hit with it. Lilith's Phasewalk helps for that.

Use whatever kind of guns you want, it only matters for specific skills. My co-op buddy played a pistol/sniper(/punching) Brick and it worked just fine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

PC gaming: going through the work of making an older game work, installing the new patches, fiddling so they all work, getting in and starting a new game, aaaaand it crashes as I'm reading the emails in-game. :sigh:

Apparently in the years since I last did this, Jagged Alliance 2 stopped working on windows 10 and needs even more fiddling and I am way too tired for this. I'll leave the mess installed for now and fix it later.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nordick posted:

So on a whim I installed Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered Edition, and just, gently caress me. 11 years and this game is still the drat gold standard of open world action games. So much goddamn fun.
Install a MOAB on a truck, slap a bunch of remote charges on it, floor it through the gates of some EDF compound and plow right through the building wall, haul rear end outta there, hit the detonator button and watch the whole loving thing blow sky high. It never gets less satisfying. I love this loving game.

Signed:
Space rear end in a top hat, in a truck, flying off a ridge.

Seriously that game is so much fun. I prefer just running around with the hammer.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bruceski posted:

Seriously that game is so much fun. I prefer just running around with the hammer.

Whenever I do that I find myself humming the tune of “Space rear end in a top hat” to myself. God drat that’s a good game.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Whenever I do that I find myself humming the tune of “Space rear end in a top hat” to myself. God drat that’s a good game.

Oh my God, Space rear end in a top hat is a decade old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

Oh my God, Space rear end in a top hat is a decade old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUBI-YVRY8
My favorite part of this song is that they actually used it for the trailer of the remastered version.
It's a shame the demolition engine was never used for a more modern game.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 10, 2020

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bruceski posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I never leave my hammer behind, that thing is just entirely too satisfying to not have along. And the drat thing is so iconic too, it would be like Gordon Freeman without his crowbar. My loadout is always, ALWAYS hammer + remote charges, which are my bread and butter tools, + whatever two I'm in the mood for or in need of for a specific purpose (nano rifle for gunships, etc). The actual firearms are what I use the least, mainly when I'm doing a hostage rescue and need to get to the hostages on upper floors without wrecking the building around me. :v:

EDIT: I love the ending of the Space rear end in a top hat video, after the song ends. It's just such a great demonstration of the building destruction physics.

Also I already got flattened by a random piece of falling debris once. It's like coming home. :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

anilEhilated posted:

My favorite part of this song is that they actually used it for the trailer of the remastered version.

Which is a great move, when the game first came out I showed that video to a bunch of my friends and they all bought the game.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Nordick posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I never leave my hammer behind, that thing is just entirely too satisfying to not have along. And the drat thing is so iconic too, it would be like Gordon Freeman without his crowbar. My loadout is always, ALWAYS hammer + remote charges, which are my bread and butter tools, + whatever two I'm in the mood for or in need of for a specific purpose (nano rifle for gunships, etc). The actual firearms are what I use the least, mainly when I'm doing a hostage rescue and need to get to the hostages on upper floors without wrecking the building around me. :v:

EDIT: I love the ending of the Space rear end in a top hat video, after the song ends. It's just such a great demonstration of the building destruction physics.

Also I already got flattened by a random piece of falling debris once. It's like coming home. :allears:

If you're not blowing up the hostages, the guards and the whole building what are you even doing???

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is Avorian any good solo? Looks interesting but also like you gotta do a lot of work to make your own fun. Just wondering if it's something I could play casually on my own and still feel like I'm getting somewhere.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

StrixNebulosa posted:

PC gaming: going through the work of making an older game work, installing the new patches, fiddling so they all work, getting in and starting a new game, aaaaand it crashes as I'm reading the emails in-game. :sigh:

Apparently in the years since I last did this, Jagged Alliance 2 stopped working on windows 10 and needs even more fiddling and I am way too tired for this. I'll leave the mess installed for now and fix it later.

I got really in to the idea of playing some JA2 a couple of months ago and read all that you need to do and I was just like nope.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Wait, I have to put the fruit into the Preserves Jar one by one? lol what, how is this worth the effort

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
RF:G was great a decade ago, but it is more lifeless than the actual planet it is set on. I can only play in bursts before I remember what you can do in Saints Row. I want another Ultimate Destruction Hulk.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Scalding Coffee posted:

RF:G was great a decade ago, but it is more lifeless than the actual planet it is set on. I can only play in bursts before I remember what you can do in Saints Row. I want another Ultimate Destruction Hulk.

I would kill for a sequel to that game based on Immortal Hulk.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Orv posted:

This is not news by now but destroy all gamers.

E: Also the version that was around for one day is very good besides.

This is great... might just play it on loop while I'm shooting assholes in TD:2 :v:

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Scalding Coffee posted:

It's still great actually. It doesn't need to be a sprawling cityscape to accomplish what it does. In fact I feel like it probably shouldn't be. I like Saint's Row too, but it's a different kind of sandbox.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Wait, I have to put the fruit into the Preserves Jar one by one? lol what, how is this worth the effort

If you have a stack of fruit you can hold down the button as you run past all your jars/kegs/mayomakers/etc and they'll fill up super fast. If you have a batch of stuff that's ready, I believe you can do the same thing and it automatically harvests it while it refills

e: probably should've changed "fruit" to "upgradable produce" lol gotta love whisking up my salmonberries with oil to make up a fruitmayo

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 10, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Any thoughts on outward as a 2 player coop game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

sebmojo posted:

Any thoughts on outward as a 2 player coop game?

Its very good as a singleplayer game I imagine its quite fun with a buddy