Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

We are finally in the home stretch for the current fight in Shuumatsu no Valkyrie. Jack vs Heracles, a competition between a man consumed by his hedonism and despair vs the man who became a god. Although the story has failed to address how Heracles can be so pro human but the first chapter states that the vote to destroy humanity was unanimous.

Jack is quite literally the master of the bad touch. I should have believed the early theories that all of London was his weapon because holy crap he is cheating with that Volund.

That's a pretty messed up way how he did his Volund.

The writer is doing a great job at making us regret it should Jack win. :ohdear:
At the same time I do really like how he's being fooling around for this specific moment.

I wonder if the Gods vote will come up again at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Humanity bet on the wrong horse. Brynhild is worse than I thought. I assumed that she would sabotage any attempt at peace but not be so malevolent. Poor Hlokk.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hypocrisy posted:

Humanity bet on the wrong horse. Brynhild is worse than I thought. I assumed that she would sabotage any attempt at peace but not be so malevolent. Poor Hlokk.

I think Brynhild may be justified: considering the alternative is the annihlation of the humans.

But we dont know her true motivation, whether its out of genuine care for humanity or absolute hate of the gods.

Hercules should get called out at some point for voting for nuking humans despite professing to love humanity

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Huh. I've been assuming Hercules didn't have a vote since he has said he's against ending humanity from his first appearance.

If he voted yes then yeah, that's weird.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I’m pretty sure they stated he didn’t get a vote because he’s only a demi-god, but I’d need to find it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fellis posted:

I’m pretty sure they stated he didn’t get a vote because he’s only a demi-god, but I’d need to find it

I don't recall reading that hence why I brought it up. And the last couple chapters made it clear he's got full blown God status. To potentially corroborate this, why would the God's let a demi-god fight on their behalf when we've seen the demi-god's aren't regarded highly at all?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

I don't recall reading that hence why I brought it up. And the last couple chapters made it clear he's got full blown God status. To potentially corroborate this, why would the God's let a demi-god fight on their behalf when we've seen the demi-god's aren't regarded highly at all?

Might be cause he’s really loving strong and the greeks wanted to put in a god because Posideon died. Loki calls him a demi-god in the chapter where he is talking to the valkyries. That’s where I thought he mentioned that he didn’t get a vote. It might still come up, the fight isn’t over and I really think Jack winning would be more interesting for the plot especially in regard to the other valkyries maybe not trusting Brunhildr anymore after this one

Poor Geir gonna die for her psycho sister’s ambitions

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Not sure if everyone noticed, I only noticed just now.
But Shuumatsu chapter 27 was posted about an hour later.

I'm seriously curious where this is going.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
I must say, Jack's actual weapon giving him the power to turn everything in London into a weapon works extremely well from a thematic standpoint.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
This also means that those are just completely ordinary bottomless bags of knives and things. Completely normal.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Mao mao ftw.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gedou No Uta starting to pick up speed hell yeah

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://twitter.com/WOLFGANG1945/status/1227086736347414529?s=19

Thought it was something about a live action preview, but it wasn't and now I'm sad. :(

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been going through kiba off and on, and i just hit the antonio inoki goes to iraq chapter. that seemed so strangely specific that i googled it, and apparently this actually happened?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Is 'Wave, Listen to me!' on hiatus or something?

Haven't seen any updates since May (Ch. 50). It had been pretty funny.

Some kind soul just caught up on like 10 chapters at once. Time to get back to it, new arch sounds funny as hell

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nerdz posted:

Some kind soul just caught up on like 10 chapters at once. Time to get back to it, new arch sounds funny as hell

:toot:

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://mangadex.org/title/21562/kusuriya-no-hitorigoto

maomao continues to be the best

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
jack the ripper owns

https://mangadex.org/chapter/821107/1

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
edit: dang I posted about shonen in the seinen thread.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I can't wait for his moustache to get punched off.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That was awesome.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

How the hell does this Mangaka keep making these fights so entertaining

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
https://mangadex.org/chapter/824406/1

Kine-san takes on Evangelion and it's every bit as wonderful as you're imagining.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Her reaction to Congratulations! was everything I wanted.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sindai posted:

Kine-san takes on Evangelion and it's every bit as wonderful as you're imagining.

Haven't read the series before, and I actually like the TV ending, but I just about busted a gut, especially over the Death/Rebirth bit.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

Haven't read the series before, and I actually like the TV ending, but I just about busted a gut, especially over the Death/Rebirth bit.

Kine-san owns please read it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sindai posted:

I question the wisdom of letting NGE be someone's first anime as I feel the series is decent but definitely over-rated and not for everyone. I absolutely endorse trolling someone snobby with it, and it's subsequent movies.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sindai posted:

This was loving hilarous

"How's it feel, you talked so much poo poo" lmaooooo

"It doesn't have a loving ending!!" -same, same

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

I question the wisdom of letting NGE be someone's first anime as I feel the series is decent but definitely over-rated and not for everyone. I absolutely endorse trolling someone snobby with it, and it's subsequent movies.

Never watched it and never got into it aside from it having a rad intro and some incredibly cool designs for stuff. The more I read about it though, the more I feel that my choice was indeed the correct and logical path for this series.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

Kine-san owns please read it.

I'm not really a cinema person*, so I'd probably not get most of the jokes if the rest relies on knowledge of the source material like this chapter does.

*and to judge by CineD, no one else should be either.

doomrider7 posted:

Never watched it and never got into it aside from it having a rad intro and some incredibly cool designs for stuff. The more I read about it though, the more I feel that my choice was indeed the correct and logical path for this series.

Can't speak for anyone else, but for me I connected with the show in way that's incredibly rare. I get that it's not for everyone, but for many people there's something special there and some of the criticisms thrown around are super missing the point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I think it's definitely worth watching. I just don't think someone should dip their toes into anime with it since the writing is all over the place in terms of quality both because of the troubled production of the series, and the creative staff behind it most notably Hideaki Anno. It's also just a bizarre story that gets too up it's own rear end to the detriment of the dialogue and plot, at least from my perspective. I usually pick movies or OVAs to start someone new off since there's less time commitment. And there are just overall more consistent and approachable series to choose from even within super robot and mech series.

Evangelion is still a good anime at the end of the day and episode 9 has probably one of my favorite moments in anime ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9ExScjBno

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that chapter of kine isn't going to convince anyone to watch eva. instead, it's a speedrun of what every eva fan went through.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I'm not really a cinema person*, so I'd probably not get most of the jokes if the rest relies on knowledge of the source material like this chapter does.

*and to judge by CineD, no one else should be either.

I wouldn't worry about knowledge of the source material that much. Pretty much none of the movies referenced are esoteric. They're like Terminator, Indiana Jones, Jaws, Bad Boys, etc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I took a course in college (in 2004-2005) as one of the gen ed requirements that was supposed to be about Japanese culture, but the (Japanese) professor apparently specialized in the history of animation so that's what the course ended up being about.

Basically my take-away from that course is that 90% of all animes, with the first Eva movie being one of the things we watched, are about the collective Japanese psyche being traumatized by the atomic bomb.

It makes me feel really old knowing that that college course was closer to the original release date of NGE than the present.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Don't get me wrong, I think it's definitely worth watching. I just don't think someone should dip their toes into anime with it since the writing is all over the place in terms of quality both because of the troubled production of the series, and the creative staff behind it most notably Hideaki Anno. It's also just a bizarre story that gets too up it's own rear end to the detriment of the dialogue and plot, at least from my perspective. I usually pick movies or OVAs to start someone new off since there's less time commitment. And there are just overall more consistent and approachable series to choose from even within super robot and mech series.

Evangelion is still a good anime at the end of the day and episode 9 has probably one of my favorite moments in anime ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr9ExScjBno

Oh I 100% agree that it's definitely worth watching for those interested and had a MASSIVE impact, but it just seems like such an equally MASSIVE clusterfuck in a lot of ways.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

Oh I 100% agree that it's definitely worth watching for those interested and had a MASSIVE impact, but it just seems like such an equally MASSIVE clusterfuck in a lot of ways.

The company at the time gave a creative 100% control over what he wanted to do because the entire thing was planned some insurance/tax scam that wasn't supposed to make money. A billion dollar franchise came into being because a severely depressed person was left alone and allowed to make a work of art that asked questions life, belief, mental health, social relationships etc, without good answers and challenged the entire idea of what a 'cartoon' was capable of depicting.

25 years later the 4th feature length movie from the feature length movie reboot series is generating controversy while a streaming service is getting blown up on social media for translation and vocal actor choices. One of the ongoing manga adaptions still hasn't ended but the many official licensed dating story manga have.

It's become something that is more of a historical turning point in the culture and understanding of anime especially wrt how it expanded into the Western market so rapidly after that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

doomrider7 posted:

It's one season and a movie, just watch it

Rebuilds optional

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Captain Invictus posted:

It's one season and a movie, just watch it

Rebuilds optional

From the bits a pieces I've gathered, Rebuild is probably the only that kind of appeals to me since it sounds more...upbeat or optimistic or something to that effect? I'm just not particularly big on it.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
Rebuild is just as tragic as the original, just in a different way for different reasons. It's not over yet so we don't really know if it's going to end up being great or not.

Anyways I kinda think of EVA as something that everyone should probably watch to at least understand why everyone talks about it so much. It's really really good if you've got anything in common with the main character's terrible terrible life and even if you don't there's some really beautiful and fun stuff in it, and they did an undeniably awesome job on the animation and art of it all.

Classon Ave. Robot fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

From the bits a pieces I've gathered, Rebuild is probably the only that kind of appeals to me since it sounds more...upbeat or optimistic or something to that effect? I'm just not particularly big on it.

Instead of just relying on hear-say just give the first couple of episodes a shot. You seem to have done some level of homework on the series so there has to be some interest. Just don't hold yourself to the commitment of watching the whole thing if you find it's not to your taste. At least give it the 3 episode "rule".