Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

thyme, garlic powder, oregano, bay leaves, white/black pepper, cayenne. that and some sausage (ideally andouille but whatever) and ham (hocks, smoked, whatever), onion/celery/green bell peppers and you can make very good red beans and rice.

Also for closer-to-the-equator bean dishes, either cumin/chili powder/paprika or cumin/turmeric/coriander will be your central spices for curries, stews, shakshuka, tacos, and tostadas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

So is this just gonna kill 15% of the olds twice a year till the end of time?
Most likely not. One of the reasons poo poo is hosed is because non-one has been exposed to it yet so it shouldn't be as bad in the future if it becomes another perennial.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I'm supposed to COOK the beans????

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e5TjZzfCyI

in addition to Tony's, here's another option for you lazy preppers.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

uber_stoat posted:

that epidemiologist that was interviewed said the Chinese were using a thing called ECMO to treat this. I looked that up and basically they suck all your blood out and infuse it with a gas blend and then pump it back into you. pretty wild.

cool :eyepop:

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

PostNouveau posted:

So is this just gonna kill 15% of the olds twice a year till the end of time?

only the 14% that can't afford the vaccine.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

uber_stoat posted:

i love msg (irl)

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

snoo posted:

I'm supposed to COOK the beans????
lmao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

My knowledge is naive since this is nowhere near my domain of expertise but recent preprints seem to indicate that children are being infected they just remain mostly asymptomatic

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1236373367097380866

That poster you're responding to was talking about mortality rates, not infection rates

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
For real, get some red chori beans and garam masala (seasoning) at an Indian grocery store.

It's delicious as a meal and would loving own as an apocalypse staple.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

for real I've been cooking poo poo like this the last week and I just wish I had more of my favorite kimchi in this trying time

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

snoo posted:

for real I've been cooking poo poo like this the last week and I just wish I had more of my favorite kimchi in this trying time

hit me with a recpie for both tia

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

For real, get some red chori beans and garam masala (seasoning) at an Indian grocery store.

It's delicious as a meal and would loving own as an apocalypse staple.
Hell yeah learn to cook dal it's like the simplest thing ever

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Urad dal and kidney bean curry is so good, it's like meatless Indian chili

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

yeah if youre too lazy to bother with spices youreself, tony cs works 90% of the time. also zatarains crab boil works on all kinds of random poo poo, not just crawfish etc

sazon is great for rice as long as you do it with chicken stock

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

snoo posted:

I do not see snoofood often enough

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

hit me with a recpie for both tia

uhhhhh you just uhhhhh zzzzzzzzzz

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Mayor Dave posted:

just be sure to buy small spice quantities if possible unless you know for sure you'll be using them relatively quickly, nothing's worse than a 5 year old jar of cinnamon

My cinnamon is no less than 15 years old. It longs for death, but death flees from it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/1237245889518768128

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

uber_stoat posted:

for your consideration, the humble dried chili pepper. perfect for your shelf stable stockpile.

if i was living my best life id have long tied up strings of garlic cloves and onions and dried peppers and whateva else hanging all over the place

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

plinkey sent me some kimchi ramen but I don't like instant ramen noodles much so I used udon and I made the broth more flavorful with fried beef trimmings, adding kimchi/juices, gochujang, and anchovy paste, and stuff

but the recipe for kimchi stew on bon appétit is really good, I think if you cut back on the gochujang and added some beef flavor and fat from trimmings like I do, the broth would be pretty similar

also msg :ssh:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Me coming for your Tony Chachere's seasoning and dry beans

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

If you have gout already then it’s fine to eat whatever

Says dr me to me

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

snoo posted:

Nice!

I bought all the ingredients to make kimchi but I can’t find my clay pot so I guess I’ll have to ferment it in the toilet tank

can people with non-apocalypse-related food chat energy use it to resurrect the c-spam food thread? it was a good thread

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

But not enough tests to test the 70 workers who are showing symptoms.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Bulgakov posted:

if i was living my best life id have long tied up strings of garlic cloves and onions and dried peppers and whateva else hanging all over the place

A year ago I had a vegetable garden! Then I got a new job and my life went to poo poo. There's still some edible herbs and stuff growing out there though, and I do have a stocked pantry.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

snoo posted:

those are good looking eggs.

also kimchi is good as hell

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

snoo posted:

plinkey sent me some kimchi ramen but I don't like instant ramen noodles much so I used udon and I made the broth more flavorful with fried beef trimmings, adding kimchi/juices, gochujang, and anchovy paste, and stuff

but the recipe for kimchi stew on bon appétit is really good, I think if you cut back on the gochujang and added some beef flavor and fat from trimmings like I do, the broth would be pretty similar

also msg :ssh:

that sounds good nice and yeh msg the special extra helium of salt

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge4vghXQTtQ

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Me coming for your Tony Chachere's seasoning and dry beans

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dashima is like 2/3 msg anyways

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Bulgakov posted:

msg the special extra helium of salt

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

cargo cult posted:

those are good looking eggs.

also kimchi is good as hell

thx it was my first time making "jammy eggs" and I love them so much

my favorite kimchi is an hour's drive away and I don't have a car :sadpeanut:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol nyc restaurants are starting to charge obscene prices for this dish based on parasite

only consolation is that people tie their tip to the bill so this will mean more comrades will get closer to a living wage

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

QuarkJets posted:

That poster you're responding to was talking about mortality rates, not infection rates

Ahh whoops, I was scanning quickly looking for the discussion that other coronaviruses like OC43 provided immunity to COVID-19, which seems less likely with these results.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/KatiePhang/status/1237244517025267712?s=20

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1237242043593875456?s=20

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1237247078251794432?s=20

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1237242807858991104?s=20

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I've left the house once in the past week, but next time I have to go get groceries I'm going to pick up the stuff to make kimchi jjigae.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

stay safe spice goons

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I appreciate your whiplash round-ups, twoday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

snoo posted:

I saw frozen diced green pepper the other day and thought that would be nice in a pinch for beans/chili-like substances (do not @ me)

You can often get cheap green peppers from the grocery store if they are a bit on the older side, and dice them yourself, but it is important to blanch the peppers before freezing them, or else they will not freeze well. To blanch diced peppers, drop them into boiling water for a short time (a minute), strain out the hot water and then rinse them with cold water to stop the cooking process. Then you can pop them into a bag in the freezer and use them in your beans when you like.