Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
ive heard it called a ‘payroll event’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PCjr sidecar posted:

of course you might not know they exist or how to find them

two things:

1) you’re right, and everyone, right up to the c-level execs adjusted their expectations to this.

2) they had a really good hierarchical system internally for finding the person who does thing X.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

picturing some kind of in-office trivia game where it’s “who do you call when ...”

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

there was a little bit of that too, since it’s all 6 degrees of Kevin bacon you could usually narrow down the department and person pretty quick just by asking.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

there was a little bit of that too, since it’s all 6 degrees of Kevin bacon you could usually narrow down the department and person pretty quick just by asking.

Small but not small. Medium but not large?

Edit: This made sense in my head dealing with company growth issues, but doesn't now I am reading it.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

drunk mutt posted:

Small but not small. Medium but not large?

dsmp (don't sign my penis)

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

This happened to me once at a 25 year old company. How? Just how?

but the mainframe pays me automatically op

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Progressive JPEG posted:

picturing some kind of in-office trivia game where it’s “who do you call when ...”
My bigco has a very simple and convenient internal website devoted to just that. Mostly they're oncall rotations or bug queues, but you'll also find reassuring things like the point of contact for physical security etc.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

thats fair I paid a buttload of dollars for a masters to escape on call work after doing it for 3 years
This depends heavily on how unhealthy your company's oncall practices (and oncall comp) are. I actually like going oncall during weekend shifts, since each weekend oncall day is an entire day's pay or vacation day here. And usually the pager is pretty quiet so I just sit around and play video games.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

This depends heavily on how unhealthy your company's oncall practices (and oncall comp) are. I actually like going oncall during weekend shifts, since each weekend oncall day is an entire day's pay or vacation day here. And usually the pager is pretty quiet so I just sit around and play video games.

holy poo poo

I hate being on call and think it’s super stressful. I made career decisions, in part, to avoid it. but I would gladly do on call time in those conditions

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i still dont know how i feel about on call

on one hand it is kinda a forcing function to make people pay more attention to the robustness of their systems, but on the other it is one of those things that is only as strong as the weakest engineer. i guess it is a double-edged sword

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

On call is bad op, don't work outside work hours

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

PokeJoe posted:

We have 12 hour shifts from 10am-10pm (overnight is handled by people in another time zone) and get 2/3 of an hour comp time for each hour outside business. So 12 hours weekend day == one day comp time either as $$ or vacation.

I try and hit the max oncall comp every quarter (2 weeks comp time)

It's not for everyone though, some find it rather stressful. I've lost a few million dollars of company money via incorrect decisions while in command of an outage response. And saved much more than that through correct ones. It doesn't really bother me much either way.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

what’s the SLA on that tier? I remember hearing 5 minutes territory

I was oncall for a system that represented a significant fraction of the company’s revenue at the time, but it was only dev oncall and it typically wasn’t our system at fault when things stopped working. but it was still tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars per second territory when an outage did occur

on the plus side I’m super desensitized to dealing with any kind of outage or issue these days since it’s typically peanuts in comparison to what I went through then

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ShadowHawk posted:

i worked at a semiconductor fab where oncall work was pretty unpredictable. i always had the pager and i might be put on call or not depending on how important a new chip was to the bottom line this month.

if its a sane on call policy with planning and actual extra pay it might be fine.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

PokeJoe posted:

correction. don’t work outside of work hours for your normal 8-5 rate, or god forbid, for free

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i don't mind on-call :shrug:

it's either a good incentive to build better product or a good reason to find a place that does

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

correction. don’t work outside of work hours for your normal 8-5 rate, or god forbid, for free

Yeah this is what I mean. if they give you more money or vacation or otherwise make it worth your while, go for it. ive been forced on to enough unpaid on call schedules that they get a huge no from me

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Progressive JPEG posted:

what’s the SLA on that tier? I remember hearing 5 minutes territory
Yup, 5 minute SLA. So you can't really go swimming or hiking or to a movie theater or whatever without coverage.

quote:

I was oncall for a system that represented a significant fraction of the company’s revenue at the time, but it was only dev oncall and it typically wasn’t our system at fault when things stopped working. but it was still tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars per second territory when an outage did occur

on the plus side I’m super desensitized to dealing with any kind of outage or issue these days since it’s typically peanuts in comparison to what I went through then
I have a literal bag of shredded money at my desk that you can order from the mint. The team got it before my time due to some outage and now I'm the most senior person.

The ads must flow.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Yup, 5 minute SLA. So you can't really go swimming or hiking or to a movie theater or whatever without coverage.

or like, take a poo poo without bringing your laptop with you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao if you don’t always do that anyway

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Arcsech posted:

or like, take a poo poo without bringing your laptop with you
Eat more fiber

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Well it sounds like the other place I interviewed at is also going to give me an offer later today. I've never in my life had 2 open job offers before.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
take the one with more money

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

barkbell posted:

take the one with more money

this except factor in shorter commute

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

take the one with the more diverse executive team

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Take the one that promises to be your best friend

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i was going to have an in-person interview today. the recruiter hit me up last week and pried a ton trying to get me to give up a number. i was steadfast in that i wanted to have that conversation with the employer directly. this weekend he sent an email reminding me about today’s interview and that he volunteered a target salary for me. i told him he could cancel the interview because i wasn’t going to deal with that bullshit.

gently caress around and find out

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i was going to have an in-person interview today. the recruiter hit me up last week and pried a ton trying to get me to give up a number. i was steadfast in that i wanted to have that conversation with the employer directly. this weekend he sent an email reminding me about today’s interview and that he volunteered a target salary for me. i told him he could cancel the interview because i wasn’t going to deal with that bullshit.

:owned:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol. Third party recruiters are worthless

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
managed to get through an on-site interview with a company but now the recruiter wants to be a slimeball and not negotiate a straight offer and I don't feel like the economic outlook leaves me the option of walking away

this is where i always seem to end up

PokeJoe posted:

lol. Third party recruiters are worthless
generally yeah, but their interest in their commission seems to get me into jobs more effectively than dealing with employers, because then my experience with unfashionable or slightly dated tech kills me

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"so you'll be providing a medical plan, as previously agreed?"

"yeah uh, well, depends on what you mean by 'provide' and 'plan' and 'be', and uh, just hypothetically, supposing we weren't, then what?"

this recruiter obviously went to some sales course where the theme was "never say no and get them to say yes" and took the lesson as literally as possible

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 10, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Devonaut posted:

take the one with the more diverse executive team

take the one with the shorter executive team. confounds properly w nonwhite peeps and nonmale peeps. plus you know if the ceo is 5'2" that they actually know how to do something, probably selling, and that they didn't get chosen due to looking like a ceo

ugly is also good

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 10, 2020

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

also leprosy op

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

theadder posted:

also leprosy op

seven weird dips in the river jordan pharisees don’t want you to know about

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

so, give it to me straight. you wanna gently caress the board? No? I’m in!!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

took an offer :toot:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PIZZA.BAT posted:

nice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the only downside to this is the recruiter will blame you for flaking out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

the only downside to this is the recruiter will blame you for flaking out

probably. seeing as i'm literally the only person in this city who knows the tech they need they still may be unhappy that he let me slip though. who knows. i don't care