Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

END ME SCOOB posted:

Hard yes. Full stop. Different regions have a local flavor and culture, other nations have more to them than just "we're you but with wizards/communism", I could go on but those alone are already such a change from this flat loving world where the only time a place has anything interesting about it it's either a giant temple of dead wizards or a parody that will never come up again (LOOKIN' AT YOU, CLINTONIA)

Like, making this comparison in my head right now, can you name a single royal or government official in the Goodkind world who wasn't a) related to Kahlan or b) an Order plant?

For all its faults, WOT makes a real effort to feel like a living, breathing world. The GoodWorld honestly feels really empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Wasn't it also a plot point in WoT that balefire (spell that would destroy a thing and make it as if it had never existed) was getting overused and was starting to destabilize the whole of reality?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yeah. What balefire did was destroy something back in time, with the power used determining how far back it erased the thing.

Example: Alice shoots Bob in the head, killing him. Cathy balefires Alice, which effectively erases her from time at a point before she kills Bob. Bob doesn't really "come back to life" so much as reality changes so that he never got shot.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Khizan posted:

Yeah. What balefire did was destroy something back in time, with the power used determining how far back it erased the thing.

Example: Alice shoots Bob in the head, killing him. Cathy balefires Alice, which effectively erases her from time at a point before she kills Bob. Bob doesn't really "come back to life" so much as reality changes so that he never got shot.

The big thing about Balefire is that in a war of wizards, people were undoing people who undid other people and that was what caused so many consequences that both good and evil went "this is forbidden now". Chainfire (which, as someone pointed out earlier, is a real "oh gently caress you you never read WOT" name) just makes everyone think someone vanished but because this world is built on Logic it is the largest threat to existence ever.

Well, okay, part of that is that it targeted one of the most important individuals in history, but they still treat the concept of "nobody remembers a piss farmer" as the most dire threat to reality because it makes everyone illogical and thus crazed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I always thought it was a play on chain lightning lol

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

END ME SCOOB posted:

Let's just wrap this bastard before I go to work.

<Horrible Garbage>

Jesus Christ I realized that pages of interminable exposition was what bad writers did instead of actually telling a story sometime in high school. More details in itself isn’t better writing, it’s just a higher page count. Yet here we have Terry Goodkind, best selling author, showing us how it’s done. I hope this hack dies in obscurity. Greater obscurity than now mean. The compete kind.

Also this: “Richard gripped his temples between his thumb and second finger”. It’s a minor detail, yet so emblematic of Goodkind’s profound arrogance. Does he think this is a thing that actual humans do? Does he not know where the temples are? Has his colossal ego made it impossible to work with a competent editor that would surely have caught this?

TRICK QUESTION IT’S ALL THREE.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Jesus Christ I realized that pages of interminable exposition was what bad writers did instead of actually telling a story sometime in high school. More details in itself isn’t better writing, it’s just a higher page count. Yet here we have Terry Goodkind, best selling author, showing us how it’s done. I hope this hack dies in obscurity. Greater obscurity than now mean. The compete kind.

Just wait until they play telephone with the exposition.

Also this: “Richard gripped his temples between his thumb and second finger”. It’s a minor detail, yet so emblematic of Goodkind’s profound arrogance. Does he think this is a thing that actual humans do? Does he not know where the temples are?

Hate to defend him, but... yes, it is a thing actual humans do, though it's easier with the thumb and middle finger.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Also this: “Richard gripped his temples between his thumb and second finger”. It’s a minor detail, yet so emblematic of Goodkind’s profound arrogance. Does he think this is a thing that actual humans do? Does he not know where the temples are? Has his colossal ego made it impossible to work with a competent editor that would surely have caught this?

TRICK QUESTION IT’S ALL THREE.

The phrasing is bad and awkward, but I do that fairly often. Elbow on desk, head in hand, massage temples. It helps a lot when I get a tension headache, along with consciously relaxing my jaw muscles.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

gschmidl posted:

Hate to defend him, but... yes, it is a thing actual humans do, though it's easier with the thumb and middle finger.

Terry Goodkind alt spotted.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

gschmidl posted:

Just wait until they play telephone with the exposition.

What’s the difference between the second finger and the middle finger?

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Khizan posted:

The phrasing is bad and awkward, but I do that fairly often. Elbow on desk, head in hand, massage temples. It helps a lot when I get a tension headache, along with consciously relaxing my jaw muscles.

Based on the description I still think Goodkind doesn’t know the difference between the bridge of the nose and the temples. But assuming you’re not also a TG alt (you are) why would you do this instead of just using both hands like all right minded folk?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

It depends on if you think of your thumb being a special finger or its own kind of different digit

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

TheCenturion posted:

What’s the difference between the second finger and the middle finger?

As not a native speaker (which makes me totally not Goodkind!), I assumed the second finger was the index finger.

Based on the description I still think Goodkind doesn’t know the difference between the bridge of the nose and the temples. But assuming you’re not also a TG alt (you are) why would you do this instead of just using both hands like all right minded folk?

Gotta write with the other hand. er I mean uh

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

gschmidl posted:

As not a native speaker

This explains so much, alt of famed genius author Terry Goodkind.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

2nd finger is absolutely index finger to goodkind.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"My hands are really big," explained Richard.

"Really big? What do you mean, big?" inquired Kahlan. Nicci was also staring open-mouthed.

"A looter, or a person without moral clarity, could never grip his temples between thumb and second finger," said Richard. He looked at the two women, who were still looking at him as if he were mad.

He sighed. "Kahlan, do you remember when we encoun

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
richard's massive hand enveloped his skull. with a thumb and middle finger perfectly centered on each temple, he began to massage his smooth, wrinkle free brain through the layers of bone and skin and sinewy muscle. he was tired. so tired. this was the fourteenth bernie bro he'd encountered tod

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Gameko posted:

I just think it’s nice that Goodkind extrapolated from subtractive magic -> erasing memories -> erasing all memory of something -> destroys the world.

Under an author with a soul, this would be a fantastic extrapolation of the concept that killing one person kills the world of their experience and we are lesser for it.

Goodkind is not that author.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
Well thanks for the refresher SCOOB et al, been a decade since I got through the 8th WoT book and gave up because of the interminable sideplots. And yet, still sounds like it was a good choice to pick up those doorstoppers vs. Goodkind's literature

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

The trick with chainfire is that Goodkind literally just took balefire from WoT and filed the serial numbers off.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I'm sure Goodkind was "borrowing" the concept of Balefire, but I'm willing to let it slide because I do feel like there are enough differences between it and Chainfire that Chainfire can be it's own thing, even if it is a stupid name for a magic spell that doesn't deal fire-type damage to a linked group of enemies.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I did like the concept of the verification web to look at spells from a structural level to determine anomalies. I remember it being more drawn out than necessary in the book, though. Was that a rip off of anything else?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think that one was original and kind of a cool moment too

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Guest2553 posted:

I did like the concept of the verification web to look at spells from a structural level to determine anomalies. I remember it being more drawn out than necessary in the book, though. Was that a rip off of anything else?

Ehhh, that was a bit more on the nose with it being analogous to reading the weaves/threads in WoT, just with more jargon involved.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Gotcha. I haven't read WOT, should have alibied that up front.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I can get behind the concept of the Chainfire spell. It's Balefire taken to its logical conclusion, of rewriting huge swaths of history to accommodate one really important person being removed from the board entirely and reality eventually breaking down because the changes get more and more outlandish and impossible to reconcile. In the hands of a more competent writer, this could be interesting.

in Goodkinds hands, it's just a mess.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I can get behind the concept of the Chainfire spell. It's Balefire taken to its logical conclusion, of rewriting huge swaths of history to accommodate one really important person being removed from the board entirely and reality eventually breaking down because the changes get more and more outlandish and impossible to reconcile. In the hands of a more competent writer, this could be interesting.

It's an insanely cool idea. But yeah, but there's no way Goodkind can do it any kind of justice.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I like that in theory, it doesn't even have to technically be an important person.

I mean, yeah, retconning out the Mother Confessor definitely undoes reality a hell of a lot faster, but, they could have blasted some random pig farmer and eventually destroyed reality that way as well. It just may have taken decades instead of weeks.
It's still Butterfly Effects all the way down.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
You could even spin that into a moral about how every life matters, no matter how important they may seem in the grand scheme of things or not. Something Goodkind would never do, of course- only Captain of Industry Dick Rahl truly matters in the slightest in this world.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Malachite_Dragon posted:

You could even spin that into a moral about how every life matters, no matter how important they may seem in the grand scheme of things or not. Something Goodkind would never do, of course- only Captain of Industry Dick Rahl truly matters in the slightest in this world.

Doubly so because, as we all know, it's morally upright to murder people who disagree politically with you.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

PJOmega ON THIS VERY PAGE posted:

Under an author with a soul, this would be a fantastic extrapolation of the concept that killing one person kills the world of their experience and we are lesser for it.

Goodkind is not that author.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Let Goon Squad be that author. Didn't the forums write a disjointed book at some point where each person wrote a different chapter that carried a cogent plot forward with wildly different writing styles?

We can also explore an overlooked facet of zombie apocoli (apocalypses?) - wildlife! Your III% militias might prepared for the race zombie war, but good luck fighting off flocks of infected pigeons making GBS threads undead pathogens everywhere! Or avoiding every single mosquito!

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I know Terry's poo poo and all but lol at the idea that putting one hand to both temples is impossible or strange? Like where do you think the temples are?

Guest2553 posted:

Let Goon Squad be that author. Didn't the forums write a disjointed book at some point where each person wrote a different chapter that carried a cogent plot forward with wildly different writing styles?
That actually sounds pretty rad, like one of those colaborations where a bunch of animators each do 30 seconds of shrek and stich it together but in book form.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the bad thread wrote a smut game of Thrones parody called game of bones

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I swear to God if you all use this thread to create Mord-Sith erotic ebooks I'm leaving at the finish line.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

END ME SCOOB posted:

I swear to God if you all use this thread to create Mord-Sith erotic ebooks I'm leaving at the finish line.

Isn't that just Wizard's First Rule?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wizard's 34th Rule, wouldn't it be?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

END ME SCOOB posted:

Of course youd finish yourself off first :rolleyes:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
No, I think we all know that much like everyone to pick up the Sword of Truth I would become an edge-master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Noice