Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

that loving article posted:

The Great Recession? Nothing compared with the Great Depression (although the way the markets have been behaving lately, you may get there yet). The wealth gap? Today it's actually pretty close to historical averages, and nowhere near the peak that occurred at the end of the 1800s, research shows.

The Great Depression and the late 1800s, two economically difficult periods that the Boomers definitely lived through and overcame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Smol Ben has been upset at Donnie recently. The former has been trying to be reasonable about Coronovirus and you can imagine how that has resonated with his audience.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

quote:

Here's one last piece of advice. Aim higher. Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves—health insurance, child care, student loans, paid family leave. Our passion was often to help others: civil rights, apartheid and famines in places like Bangladesh, Biafra and Ethiopia. Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions. Our generation may have failed in the execution, but we did not fail in ambition.

Then why do you vote against anything at all that helps poors?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

quote:

Here's one last piece of advice. Aim higher. Your passion for change seems to be mostly for yourselves—health insurance, child care, student loans, paid family leave. Our passion was often to help others: civil rights, apartheid and famines in places like Bangladesh, Biafra and Ethiopia. Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions. Our generation may have failed in the execution, but we did not fail in ambition.

Is this the Newsweek article? If so it's gonna be exhibit A when we guillotine everyone over the age of 60.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

Then why do you vote against anything at all that helps poors?

Look, they tried back when they were kids. But now, helping the poors might make their home value decrease, their taxes marginally raise, and the stock market go down a bit. A fate worse than death.

But they tried 40-50 years okay? That's all that matters. They tried. A little bit.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

cspam said it best

a fatguy baldspot posted:

lmao stephen pinker

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

Is this the Newsweek article? If so it's gonna be exhibit A when we guillotine everyone over the age of 60.

Yeah, it's a pro click if you want to be angry

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
As someone over the age of 35, Logan's Run rules would definitely improve the country.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You kids just don't understand. I sat and watched Freddie Mercury give one of the greatest performances of his life. I barely dodged the draft by getting accepted to college with a tuition I could pay off with a part-time job. We fought hard to keep the coloreds out of this neighborhood so this house could make me a millionaire when I finally sell it. You just don't understand the struggles we've endured.

*coughs, suppresses it with a fistful of prescription meds paid for by Medicare*

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

so wait what did the author, a (I'm assuming, not checking) white american male, specifically do to stop apartheid again?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Miss posted:

so wait what did the author, a (I'm assuming, not checking) white american male, specifically do to stop apartheid again?

Got lost in an airport while Nelson Mandela was in prison.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Miss posted:

bought a record

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Cleretic posted:

Got lost in an airport while Nelson Mandela was in prison.

Wait... It was written by Joe Biden?!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Is he posting from some distant past where people's savings were literally sacks of cash hidden under a mattress?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Skwirl posted:

As someone over the age of 35, Logan's Run rules would definitely improve the country.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Taken from Facebook:

Uh oh, looks like cousin Jethro escaped the attic again.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Miss posted:

Hung out with Epstein

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Len posted:

quote:

Health insurance, child care, student loans, and paid family leave: Things that will not help others, apparently.

Also lol at "we failed, but we tried." So...you want a participation trophy?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

quote:

Yes, it was naïve to think that a few concerts like Live Aid could save millions, but it was rooted in good intentions.

...Yeah. Live Aid didn't just fail to stop deaths, it actively put money into the hands of the government that was responsible for the famine and which was funding armed militias in the area. Good intentions don't count for much when they lead you to doing things that are actively counterproductive because you want to feel good about yourself for 'helping'.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Painting efforts to obtain benefits and services for hundreds of millions of people as "selfish" is so disingenuous and convoluted I can't believe its irony is unintentional. It has all the hallmarks of all those Ben Shapiro / Charlie Kirk style "you think the govt should be in charge of health care, yet you criticize Trump for his handling of coronavirus, makes u think" pretzel logic that are designed to make listeners think they've unearthed the Real Truth which is obviously more true than the obvious surface level normal-brain truth like "the civil war was about slavery".

I always want to fire back at people like that with "So you as a religious person want to interfere in millions of other people's lives and cause them misery and turmoil just because YOU want to go to heaven? How is that not the most selfish thing imaginable by a human being"

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Skwirl posted:

Logans Run is too restrictive, you can't raise kids at all in that world. Push it up 20-30 years and you're talking.

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Logans Run is too restrictive, you can't raise kids at all in that world. Push it up 20-30 years and you're talking.

You don't raise kids, the robots do. We get to hang out in the teleporter pad playing sex roulette

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ericziminsky/status/1237179260307214336?s=21

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

hyperhazard posted:

Also lol at "we failed, but we tried." So...you want a participation trophy?

Yes, yes they do. See also the Civil War.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Really?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Most countries fight the effects of hyperinflation rather than courting it, but okay.

What the Sam Hill is he on about?!

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most countries fight the effects of hyperinflation rather than courting it, but okay.

What the Sam Hill is he on about?!

I haven't read the article but I assume this: https://youtu.be/RqVFsp0FMqw

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Emily Spinach posted:

I haven't read the article but I assume this: https://youtu.be/RqVFsp0FMqw

(I was making fun of the fact that the writer's (pen?) name was Sam Hill)

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh ha, that's what I get for not clicking links.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It’s his actual name and he’s a shitbag plutocrat who writes as a hobby.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

I'm no chemist, but the Statue of Liberty's colour is from copper oxide, isn't it? Nice that such a mundane chemical reaction can inspire such patriotism. Iron oxide doesn't get this praise.

Also, my earlobes get a tiny bit more liberated when I wear some of my cheaper earrings.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
https://twitter.com/MyDadIsOld/status/1236328005137547266

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

So is there a :godwin:'s Law but for Lenin?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Are we going by the rules in the original novel (you die when you turn 21) or in the movie (when you turn 30)?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/egirlrespecter/status/1237101369095585793?s=19

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I guess I'll be the old who asks, "Who?"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/corben15/status/1237359376999931907

GrandpaPants posted:

I guess I'll be the old who asks, "Who?"

https://twitter.com/neekolul/status/1234601269127458817?s=21

Still up for me.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A friend of mine came out as trans a few years ago and has been documenting her experiences on FB, occasionally posting stories (positive and negative) about the experience, and posted this negative experience:

(Ty Pryder is not the idiot)

Then a "friend" of theirs came up and decided to start this up:

And here it is:

(the see more part got cut off, full message was "Like, even with mayonnaise or onions or something. I have known multiple people who absolutely hated particular things like that, and they acted like I just loved it and was eating mayo from the jar or something. It's like, not that I love those things. It's that you hate them. So that's your frame.")

Now it just gets real weird:

And finally (social fixer broke, Barney Cull is Shonda Leer):

I... don't even know what to say. "Actually, transphobia is identity theft" followed by "sex is permanently ruined for me" is the longest way to say "I'm not transphobic, but..."

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

It looks like it dips right into undiagnosed schizophrenia at the end