Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

My friend who just moved back home to support his mom after his father died from the flu, was told by his manager that coronavirus is just the flu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1237368731883515904

eagerly awaiting how government regulations are why coronavirus killed so many people

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

LOL the final plan will just be $2T handed directly to Wall Street and middle class taxes raised.

But not a penny for heath care. We can't afford it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

instead of saying "social distancing" just call it "leave room for Jesus".

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Last week I was smugly being told it was just the flu.

This week I'm nervously being told it's just the flu.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Atrocious Joe posted:

My friend who just moved back home to support his mom after his father died from the flu, was told by his manager that coronavirus is just the flu.

Lol

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1237368731883515904

eagerly awaiting how government regulations are why coronavirus killed so many people

It’s restricting innovative solutions while all the weaker people wait for a government handout, sad

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Crusader posted:

its normal, this thing is caused by something invisible we can't directly control, and while the threat is probably very very small to most of us, there is one, and we have loved ones, acquaintances, etc. that are at risk as well

i cant tell you how to cope, but in a time where social distancing is a must we have to strive for some meaningful human contact, even if its via electrons

gotta stay sane and ready to fight for one another

spooky inaction from a distance

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Lol a payroll tax cut worse because that means those workers get a higher tax bill next year

payroll tax cut we bill promptly used as a way to point out how social security and medicare are under funded and that's why we need to cut

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Professors on my timeline are bitterly pointing out that you need to prepare, well in advance, to make a course Internet-teachable. You can't do it on the fly with one day's warning. Remote teaching is a skill. School infrastructure is not generally set up to handle multiple teachers livestreaming a course. People's homes, even less so; there is such a thing as a data cap.

yeah that all sucks. may as well die

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Aside from addressing the possibility of a pandemic, the world's governments need a "planetary insurance" concept, where the wealthiest countries agree to devote a certain amount of resources like 2% of GDP toward plans for other possible "black swan" events in the future. That's a step beyond having fully addressed climate change, so it'll probably never happen, though

edit: I mean like, global insurance against giant meteors and supervolcanoes

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 10, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

galenanorth posted:

where the wealthiest countries agree to devote

you lost me right about here

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

How about instead of the wealthiest countries, it’s the poorest and they pay in blood

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rated PG-34 posted:

How about instead of the wealthiest countries, it’s the poorest and they pay in blood

Number is listening.....

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

galenanorth posted:

Aside from addressing the possibility of a pandemic, the world's governments need a "planetary insurance" concept, where the wealthiest countries agree to devote a certain amount of resources like 2% of GDP toward plans for other possible "black swan" events in the future. That's a step beyond having fully addressed climate change, so it'll probably never happen, though

edit: I mean like, global insurance against giant meteors and supervolcanoes

why plan for the future, when we're all racing to the bottom?

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Lol a payroll tax cut worse because that means those workers get a higher tax bill next year

remember ivanka's parental leave progam that just took money out of your social security

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

yeah these 'events' are going to keep happening, and more frequently, as time goes on. not much you can do other than keep the bean stockpiles full and pray for divine intervention

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

quote:

UK Virus ALERT

The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent virus threat and have therefore raised their threat level from “Miffed” to “Peeved.” Soon, though, level may be raised yet again to “Irritated” or even “A Bit Cross.”

The English have not been “A Bit Cross” since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies nearly ran out.

The virus has been re-categorized from “Tiresome” to “A Bloody Nuisance.” The last time the British issued a “Bloody Nuisance” warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from “Pissed Off” to “Let's Get the Bastard.” They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its alert level from “Run” to “Hide.” The only two higher levels in France are “Collaborate” and “Surrender.” The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from “Shout Loudly and Excitedly” to “Elaborate Military Posturing.” Two more levels remain: “Ineffective Combat Operations” and “Change Sides.”

The Germans have increased their alert state from “Disdainful Arrogance” to “Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs.” They also have two higher levels: “Invade a Neighbour” and “Lose.”

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so the new Spanish navy can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its alert level from “No worries” to “She'll be alright, Mate.” Two more escalation levels remain: “Crikey! I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend!” and “The barbie is cancelled.” So far, no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level.

The Russians have said “Its not us”

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKGWtKeKdmQ

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Studio posted:

An external contractor that visited my work started feeling Corona like symptoms 2 weeks after making it home from his visit. Lol.

Contractor tested negative :toot:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Hadlock posted:

because it's easier for me to type and remember

bookmarks can be a cheaper alternative to literally registering a dns domain

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

LOL the final plan will just be $2T handed directly to Wall Street and middle class taxes raised.

now is the worst time possible to get my hopes up over Trump minting not only the coin, but three coins

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

CODChimera posted:

and pray for divine intervention

what do you think the coronavirus is

trump: sent by god
global warming: sent by god
soldiers dying because of gay people: god's work

coronavirus: motherfuckin Bernie goddamn Sanders and the goddamn lamestream media democrats

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I wonder if the “just the flu” brigade are just pathological contrarians , when there isn’t a crisis they’re all screaming and panic buying , but now there is an actual crisis they’re all nonchalant and smug

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Jel Shaker posted:

I wonder if the “just the flu” brigade are just pathological contrarians , when there isn’t a crisis they’re all screaming and panic buying , but now there is an actual crisis they’re all nonchalant and smug

It is weird how right wing nuts who are usually screaming about impending societal collapse and nefarious government red flags are the ones who are most blasé about corona-chan.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

61 new, 382 total, 4 dead
157 in Brabant, 55 in Utrecht
156 from an unknown source
Groningen remains the only uninfected province

Measures: sick self-isolate in Brabant, handshakes banned nationwide

Still waiting for the results of a broader survey of Branat health care workers

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

TraderStav posted:

If you can manage to tie the guards hands behind his back he can't yell for help.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Jamsta posted:

Very frustrating, I will take no pleasure in saying I told you so next week, because everyone will be a blind panic.
yes you will. literally the only reason anyone says I told you so is because they enjoy lording it

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

MysteriousStranger posted:

payroll tax cut we bill promptly used as a way to point out how social security and medicare are under funded and that's why we need to cut

But by this time next year, social security will pay out 15% less!

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Nothus posted:

It is weird how right wing nuts who are usually screaming about impending societal collapse and nefarious government red flags are the ones who are most blasé about corona-chan.

its cause their guy is in charge and desperately trying to downplay everything

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237375798664978437?s=19

https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/status/1237385164109611013?s=19

https://twitter.com/business/status/1237385235781824513?s=19

CPA Hell
Apr 15, 2007

I like to press the number six!

nikosoft posted:

MANDATE PAID SICK LEAVE

ITS NOT HARD!

But that would be even worse for Number in the short term, which is all we care about. Number hates change. Even if the change saves Number from rotting in a ditch a month from now.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

mediaphage posted:

yes you will. literally the only reason anyone says I told you so is because they enjoy lording it

yes, yes, I think you're right. I am a complete arsehole

Doomtalker
Dec 10, 2019
I work retail and there's a confirmed case in the county. I am doomed.

Tag me up, fam.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

mediaphage posted:

it's because they'd like the people they care enough to try and help to listen to them in the future

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

First confirmed case some 60 km from here. Here we go, bitches

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Jamsta posted:

Colleagues and family are all still humouring me as if this is no big deal.

Only one guy at work understands because he actually let me deep dive the issue.

Very frustrating, I will take no pleasure in saying I told you so next week, because everyone will be a blind panic.

Nobody in my extended family believed me. But once my BiL who happens to be an ER doc became very concerned about it, suddenly everyone cares.

Sure don't believe the chronically online software developer, but suddenly believe the rational reasonable ER doc. What fools.

I'm being sarcastic of course, I'm happy he finally weighed in and got everyone on the train of being prepared and protecting yourself, but I wish they would have listened to me when it was just me :(

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Runnin' to the store for ammo and beans.

Y'all need anything?

cornetto

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237388788776800256?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Nothus posted:

Last week I was smugly being told it was just the flu.

This week I'm nervously being told it's just the flu.

:justflu: