Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Superb username and post combo but the true way would surely have been to hold your hand under boiling water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
posting is the mind killer

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
"We're going to try the spice essence!"

"Goddamnit Atreides you're always allowing your wild talents to start poo poo when you're on the spice!"

"We only want to pierce time's veil, we promise we won't let our wild talents start any poo poo!"

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Paul at the start of Book 1, Paul at the start of Book 2.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Paul at the start of Book 1, Paul at the start of Book 2.

Rabbits, both of them! And how they cowered when they saw the Golden Path!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

FBS posted:

Rabbits, both of them! And how they cowered when they saw the Golden Path!

WHat a quote! Really kulling my wahad at the moment.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The death of Liet Kynes in the pre-cum mess

Rip Max

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

welp. i find out about this stuff in the weirdest places

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

TK-42-1 posted:

welp. i find out about this stuff in the weirdest places

Same and FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCK

Looks like a Dune/Flash Gordon/Exorcist/Seventh Seal marathon tonight

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Cleanse this passing

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
Paul uses his prescience to look into the place that the Bene Gesserit dare not look, sees the timeline where he helps Chani carry her literjons of water for 25 thumpers without so much as a hug for a thank you.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

magic cactus posted:

Paul uses his prescience to look into the place that the Bene Gesserit dare not look, sees the timeline where he helps Chani carry her literjons of water for 25 thumpers without so much as a hug for a thank you.

That's a good point. The book is very big on the idea that men and women are fundamentally different beings who percieve & interact with the mysteries of the universe in very different ways. I wonder, wIll the movie view this gender stuff critically, or play it straight, or gloss over it, or what? The Kwisatz Haderach concept doesn't really *fit* with a lot of current attitudes towards gender fluidity...

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's not the point that post was making

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

magic cactus posted:

Tell me of the waters of your home world, Incel

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Shoehead posted:

Tell me of the waters of your home world, Incel

Heather Papps
Nov 1, 2007

hello friend

A stone is heavy and the sand is weighty; but a babes friendzone is heavier than them both.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Five ten thousand years of Galactic culture!!!

Come see, Sand Yun!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
What do you call the fedora & jorts shadow on the second moon?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"M'dib" *tips fedora deep desert fashion*

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shoehead posted:

Sell me the bath waters of your gamer girl, Incel

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
While you were spilling water, I studied the crysknife. When you were having premarital love play, I mastered the weirding way. While you wasted your days at the arena in pursuit of vanity, I turned the inner eye. And now that Arrakeen is on fire and the Sardaukar are at the shield wall, you have the audacity to come to me for help?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Dear Leto...

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

4/5, no use of phrase "water-fat"

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SHIGAWIRE REEL INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF HALLECK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, HALLECK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME HARKONNEN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST SECOND-MOST DANGEROUS SLAVE-PITS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY FREMEN MUSEUM AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN FREMEN MUSEUM CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY THREE-WALLED SIETCH LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Admiralty Flag posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SHIGAWIRE REEL INTO THE SLOT. ITS CHRONICLES OF HALLECK AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, HALLECK. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME HARKONNEN BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE GALAXYS MOST SECOND-MOST DANGEROUS SLAVE-PITS. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY FREMEN MUSEUM AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN FREMEN MUSEUM CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY THREE-WALLED SIETCH LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNING

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

How exactly did they free and acquire Gurney and Duncan?

Are missions to go to another House’s planet to steal their slaves sanctioned by the Guild?

Its odd they sanctioned sending a force to blow up spice warehouses on Geidi Prime too.

You’d think that wouldn’t fall within the boundaries of the War of Assassins, especially since they were hurting spice.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
I mean, the guild will transport whatever you ask it to, provided you pay their exorbitant military fees. Baron even brings up how transporting the sardaukar ends up costing him nearly the entire profits of their decades long fiefdom in Arrakis.

The Atreides strike affects the Harkonnen's stash of personal spice, not really the spice market itself. CHOAM and the guild wouldn't really give a poo poo if one individual house is poo poo out of luck, it's only because Paul threatens the entirety of spice production later that the bean counters sit up and listen.

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

Ok so why didn’t the Harkonnen retaliate by going to Caladan and heart-plugging some random rice farmers?

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
CHOAD

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Joke Miriam posted:

Ok so why didn’t the Harkonnen retaliate by going to Caladan and heart-plugging some random rice farmers?

No reason why they can't. Escalating tit-for-tat raids are probably part of what provoked the declaration of kanly. The limitation is that it has to be worth it in terms of what you're paying for guild transport. (We can assume your outlay for military personnel and equipment is minimal by comparison.)

House Atreides basing so much of its internal foundation on loyalty is a trap of sorts. House Harkonnen kidnaps a bunch of workers on a reprisal raid, and they grab the cousin of the guy who once saved the life of the Duke's battle pug? Sigh, OK, Paul, call the Guild, we need to book passage for 100 scouts to Giedi Prime to find this guy. We'll figure out what type and how many assets for the raid when we find out where he's being held.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

God drat this last page is comedy gold.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

The "I'm going to kill you Richard." email but it's from Baron Harkonnen to the Atreides

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZODtmaHIQng

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CF1iSzOll34

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Tree Bucket posted:

That's a good point. The book is very big on the idea that men and women are fundamentally different beings who percieve & interact with the mysteries of the universe in very different ways. I wonder, wIll the movie view this gender stuff critically, or play it straight, or gloss over it, or what? The Kwisatz Haderach concept doesn't really *fit* with a lot of current attitudes towards gender fluidity...

I mean sure Herbert Was Bad.

The "area women dare not look" is also because women (sex vs. gender in the modern debate lol) have the possibility to give birth to prescient babies and (at least in the first book, arguably retconned in different ways in later books) it's supposed to be really hard to make prescience work when multiple presciences are at play in the same zone. Like Paul gets blinded by people selling tarot cards in the market, two pages before he develops Perfect Prescience Vision by being blinded. So uh. Shrug?

Nothing really makes sense in Dune so he could have found a way around this, but there are in-universe reasons why men and women might experience prescience differently, and they're pretty central to how he viewed some of the Big Themes.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

revwinnebago posted:

I mean sure Herbert Was Bad.

The "area women dare not look" is also because women (sex vs. gender in the modern debate lol) have the possibility to give birth to prescient babies and (at least in the first book, arguably retconned in different ways in later books) it's supposed to be really hard to make prescience work when multiple presciences are at play in the same zone. Like Paul gets blinded by people selling tarot cards in the market, two pages before he develops Perfect Prescience Vision by being blinded. So uh. Shrug?

Nothing really makes sense in Dune so he could have found a way around this, but there are in-universe reasons why men and women might experience prescience differently, and they're pretty central to how he viewed some of the Big Themes.

By looking into the area women dare not look, Paul understood why some men don't wash they own rear end in a top hat. By looking into the place forbidden to men, Paul understood the secret to washing he own rear end in a top hat. By understanding both halves, he became the Kwizarse Haderach, the Shortening of the Wipe, and became unstoppable.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
the slow tongue penetrates the anus

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Not sure if this is actually old news to this thread (which tends to stay on top of casting announcements) but Sharon Duncan-Brewster is apparently confirmed as our Liet-Kynes in the 2020 film. If it is news, it's strange timing, considering Max Von Sydow's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Joke Miriam posted:

How exactly did they free and acquire Gurney and Duncan?

Are missions to go to another House’s planet to steal their slaves sanctioned by the Guild?

in the prequel books duncan escaped to caladan all by himself, as a child. don't ask me to remember details, but i will say the idea fits with the theme of atreides attracting good people to their service.