Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

all conservatives are happier than me, I’m considering converting

Please do not give in to Stockholm syndrome they are legitimately horrible people :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
lol I've been about as far right as it's possible to be, trust me, they aren't happier

liberals are happier but liberalism requires you to be completely insulated from actual suffering, either yours or other people's, in the first place

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

all conservatives are happier than me, I’m considering converting

I can promise you without a shadow of a doubt they are not happy. The psychological basis of spite (hurting yourself in order to hurt others) does not come from a place of happiness.

reptilians
Sep 2, 2018

PsychedelicWarlord posted:

According to the psychiatrist, the nausea from the new medicine targeting my serotonin receptors will pass, but boy it's unpleasant. A minor complaint, but wondering if anyone had any experience with this on SSRIs... apparently it's because there's receptors in your gut and they get confused.

in the past I would take SSRIs at night at first so I could sleep through the lovely side effects until they went away

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

this week has just been one long stomach ache of depression. how do you guys cling to life at this point?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
with bloody and broken fingers.

I also listen to this song a lot https://youtu.be/eetIgGXH6DA

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Uncle Wemus posted:

this week has just been one long stomach ache of depression. how do you guys cling to life at this point?
with many lmaos

not many people across human history can say they were born to witness the peak of global civilization and its collapse in the same lifetime. it's mostly morbid curiosity in watching it unfold

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

Man I just lean the gently caress in. Trying to avoid depression when I know it's coming is the worst feeling ever. Instead of avoiding it I try to bring it on faster through sentence repetitions, sad music and sad movies. Eventually I mine all of that sweet sweet coal by bringing it to the surface and then the mine is empty and I feel better and can be productive and fight and kill the things that made me depressed in the first place.

I posted about sentence repetitions/exposure therapy earlier ITT. Even though I'm not a fan of CBT, these particular CBT techniques are really powerful and useful.

thehandtruck has issued a correction as of 08:17 on Mar 9, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Was gonna go to the Bernie rally here in STL today with bf but he got called into work and I've been hacking up blood all weekend so I think staying home is probably the better idea, I'll just donate $27 instead. I'm still gonna be pissed at myself about it since it feels like abject cowardice, but honestly I can be pissed at myself about literally anything I do so as long as I do something to help Bernie I suppose it'll be okay.

Have to go vote tomorrow, though, in any case.

I hate this state so much and this week could be bad too, but, you know what? I just had a terrible week, and have had them before, and will have them again. Just gotta keep going.

Have a great week everybody, all we can do is keep going, I guess.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Zvahl posted:

Was gonna go to the Bernie rally here in STL today with bf but he got called into work and I've been hacking up blood all weekend so I think staying home is probably the better idea, I'll just donate $27 instead. I'm still gonna be pissed at myself about it since it feels like abject cowardice, but honestly I can be pissed at myself about literally anything I do so as long as I do something to help Bernie I suppose it'll be okay.

Have to go vote tomorrow, though, in any case.

I hate this state so much and this week could be bad too, but, you know what? I just had a terrible week, and have had them before, and will have them again. Just gotta keep going.

Have a great week everybody, all we can do is keep going, I guess.

Endure. In enduring, grow strong.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

reptilians posted:

in the past I would take SSRIs at night at first so I could sleep through the lovely side effects until they went away

I tapered off generic lexapro and it the 'withdrawal' if you can call it that has the unique property of making me feel like I've just had 2 beers but without the buzz, if that makes sense. None of these fuckin things actually work, do they :sigh:

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

redgubbinz posted:

I tapered off generic lexapro and it the 'withdrawal' if you can call it that has the unique property of making me feel like I've just had 2 beers but without the buzz, if that makes sense. None of these fuckin things actually work, do they :sigh:

They absolutely do, there's just a whole lot of them that do widely different things, and it's all working on vague terms to begin with, which is why the advice is generally more towards 'try this while talking with a medical professional about it' rather than just 'take these pills they fix brain'

but even then, they absolutely have a really powerful effect, it's just that by the time you're really off them your mood has cratered so gradually that when you look back it's hard to see the slope going down, it just kinda feels like it was always bad

keep at them if you can, if you're getting them from a doctor and using them that way they're definitely at least worth trying I swear

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I've tried a few and will continue to try more of them, also did talk therapy on and off for years, I'm still the same shut-in aimless uninterested/uninteresting piece of garbage I was a decade ago. Fixing that isn't really in the purview of psychiatric meds, their purpose is to take the edge off so I can unfuck myself but that doesn't seem likely.

I'm glad they do work for a lot of people, and I'm only envious every waking moment I swear.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

I'm coming to the realization that every medication that doesn't do nothing to me essentially just enables my BPD and drives me to fully violent behaviour and thoughts. I have effexor to thank for probation years ago after getting goaded into a fight/suicide attempt. Even the newest one, which is on an "as you need" basis, calms you down, makes you sleepy... and then leads to a bad day following, so you need to take the medication to save you from the medication. And that's factoring in that I'm a hell of a lot calmer/cool in situations thanks to the probation and a year of "it's not worth jail" to every idiot that magically pops up when you're on it. Cool, cool. It's cute for a couple years, but after 16 years of sampling everything under the rainbow, my god is it driving me nuts.

Supposedly DBT is very effective for this. Has anyone had luck simply taking DBT on its own, without medication? It's near impossible to find in this city, but I figure it's less than a 16 year wait.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

DBT is fantastic. Medication co-treatment is not necessary.

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

i had a good day today

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Impkins Patootie posted:

i had a good day today

Same here. I got a very promising job lead today. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

:unsmith::hf::unsmith:

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Chunderbucket posted:

I'm coming to the realization that every medication that doesn't do nothing to me essentially just enables my BPD and drives me to fully violent behaviour and thoughts. I have effexor to thank for probation years ago after getting goaded into a fight/suicide attempt. Even the newest one, which is on an "as you need" basis, calms you down, makes you sleepy... and then leads to a bad day following, so you need to take the medication to save you from the medication. And that's factoring in that I'm a hell of a lot calmer/cool in situations thanks to the probation and a year of "it's not worth jail" to every idiot that magically pops up when you're on it. Cool, cool. It's cute for a couple years, but after 16 years of sampling everything under the rainbow, my god is it driving me nuts.

Supposedly DBT is very effective for this. Has anyone had luck simply taking DBT on its own, without medication? It's near impossible to find in this city, but I figure it's less than a 16 year wait.

I also struggle with BPD and was on Effexor! I waited 2 years to get into a DBT program and it was 100% worth it, if that helps sway you. While I waited I grabbed a couple DBT workbooks and tried to work through them myself, but the program really helped cement everything and it was great having counselors I could ask questions to and troubleshoot with. I honestly miss it, since I'm going through some BPD poo poo at the moment and I'm having trouble making the skills work as well as I want and it's starting to really worry me.

It's a big commitment, depending on the program, and there will be attendance/homework responsibilities so it's important that you are in an okay place to learn when you go. Some sessions might be tougher than others, and I found that medication helped dull things enough that I was able to absorb the information and learn the skills, but it's not absolutely necessary. I was feeling good enough when I was done with DBT that I weaned off the Effexor shortly afterwards.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Martian Manfucker posted:

I also struggle with BPD and was on Effexor! I waited 2 years to get into a DBT program and it was 100% worth it, if that helps sway you. While I waited I grabbed a couple DBT workbooks and tried to work through them myself, but the program really helped cement everything and it was great having counselors I could ask questions to and troubleshoot with. I honestly miss it, since I'm going through some BPD poo poo at the moment and I'm having trouble making the skills work as well as I want and it's starting to really worry me.

It's a big commitment, depending on the program, and there will be attendance/homework responsibilities so it's important that you are in an okay place to learn when you go. Some sessions might be tougher than others, and I found that medication helped dull things enough that I was able to absorb the information and learn the skills, but it's not absolutely necessary. I was feeling good enough when I was done with DBT that I weaned off the Effexor shortly afterwards.

That's good to hear (also Wren's comment). This med is lovely, but it's the first one my psych tried - getting a psych i can make regular appointments with took a good decade, so that's still fresh, and my list of "tried it; bullshit" is... long and difficult to work with.

We're big on waits here - the hospital had me waiting on a list for DBT for four months before calling me to tell me there's no program. Cool, great nice. Any books you really liked? I might as well try something.

reptilians
Sep 2, 2018

I had a bad experience the first time I tried SSRIs where the one I was taking just sort of removed my motivation to do anything at all and it took me like 6 months to figure out what was going on, but now that I started working with a psychiatrist again I've found that they aren't all that bad which is nice.

I've also been doing a lot of meditation as a sort of side bet. Its never been relaxing for me but it helps a lot with dealing with general anxiety and nihilism, although it can also bring up all sorts of crazy poo poo.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

reptilians posted:

I've also been doing a lot of meditation as a sort of side bet. Its never been relaxing for me but it helps a lot with dealing with general anxiety and nihilism, although it can also bring up all sorts of crazy poo poo.

Would you mind sharing what kind of meditation you're doing or what steps you take/what your goals are with it? It's interesting to hear that it doesn't relax you but helps you deal with things.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Chunderbucket posted:

That's good to hear (also Wren's comment). This med is lovely, but it's the first one my psych tried - getting a psych i can make regular appointments with took a good decade, so that's still fresh, and my list of "tried it; bullshit" is... long and difficult to work with.

We're big on waits here - the hospital had me waiting on a list for DBT for four months before calling me to tell me there's no program. Cool, great nice. Any books you really liked? I might as well try something.

The most practical one I can recommend is the very excitingly named The Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Skills Workbook by Matthew McKay, Jeffrey Wood and Jeffrey Brantley. Good introduction and overview of the therapy and it includes all the modules as well as worksheets you can photocopy and fill in. I have the first edition, but it looks like they just released a new one in 2019. I'm sure either is fine.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Chunderbucket posted:

DBT was specifically custom made and laser guided to help with BPD. It's also very good for bipolar and anything that's treatment resistive but I have never heard anytthing bad from someone who's gone through it.

Re: meds, only you and your doctor can know for sure what to try. I would discuss the types of meds with them and see what they think. I know literally zero about BPD and how to treat it medically, but it sounds like SNRIs are ... not it. You may want to ask about pure SSRIs or even atypical antipsychotics. The latter are the ones us bipolar folk use to help with depression without triggering mania. Like I said tho don't get your heart set on any one time just chat about them and their benefits/problems to get a conversation going. The right one may still be out there.

As far as the hunt for DBT goes, see if you can find a private psych facility that does outpatient. A lot of times hospitals are understaffed and overworked, and private facilities are ... also overstaffed and overworked but they may see less people come through since they're off the beaten path. If all else fails, try to find a BPD support group and ask around. You may find more people have gone through it than you suspect.

In unrelated news I get to go through suicide prevention training today en route to being an actual (offline) support group leader. That may be rough :smith:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I am now sitting in my work bathroom crying after having another horribly unproductive day and a bunch of my old work dug up and criticised followed by an awkward "social event" where everyone is drinking and having a good time and I am sitting there silent. I could probably have stood it but then all of a sudden this song came on the radio and the sheer surreality of the situation broke me.

Two more days until first therapy session.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AceOfFlames posted:

I am now sitting in my work bathroom crying after having another horribly unproductive day and a bunch of my old work dug up and criticised followed by an awkward "social event" where everyone is drinking and having a good time and I am sitting there silent. I could probably have stood it but then all of a sudden this song came on the radio and the sheer surreality of the situation broke me.

Two more days until first therapy session.

hang in there man, you're not alone

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

hang in there man, you're not alone

Thanks.

AceOfFlames has issued a correction as of 18:43 on Mar 10, 2020

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

You're going to therapy. You admitted to yourself that you need help, and if I had to guess you're probably one of the biggest jerks you think you know.

You did the hard part. Might not be able to feel great about that, but ya did it, it sucked, and now every step is easier.

You did good.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

reptilians posted:

yea it's awful. I'm already prone to nausea from anxiety and now I can't even eat because I just feel so queasy

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Zvahl posted:

You're going to therapy. You admitted to yourself that you need help, and if I had to guess you're probably one of the biggest jerks you think you know.

I don't think I am a jerk. I have many faults but at least I think I am reasonably nice. I just have a very low threshold for caring about trivial stuff. :(

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

AceOfFlames posted:

I don't think I am a jerk. I have many faults but at least I think I am reasonably nice. I just have a very low threshold for caring about trivial stuff. :(

I didn't mean to put you down, just to be a little silly =)

But you're cool, believe me, I understand feeling pointlessly oversensitive and even knowing when it's happening and still being a crybaby about it. It's just having feelings, and that's a dangerous game, but we're already in it, so better to acknowledge where we are with them.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

This isn't a mental health book, but recently I read The Man They Wanted Me to Be: Toxic Masculinity and a Crisis of Our Own Making, and it was an eye-opening experience for me. It really drove home for me how toxic masculinity permeates male friendship on a basic level, and helped to explain why I tend to shun friendship with men. It recontextualized a lot of my life, and convinced me that my problems went deeper than I was comfortable admitting to. That was good though, because it allowed me to more openly explore who I am as a person and, ultimately, to love myself more. I recommend it to anyone who is interested.

:siren: WARNING: The author openly discusses dark moments in his life where suicidal ideation took over his life, so please avoid it if you think it would influence you. Taking care of yourself is most important.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Have you made any more progress in the male friendship department since reading said book?

All the men in my core friend group struggle with this. And despite all of us knowing that about each other, we still haven't made much progress. Over the years I've ended up much closer to the women in the group, because I really only connect through heavy conversations and it's just more natural to have those with them. Luckily the boys are saint-level fine with me being besties with their partners, but my wife is not.

I don't mean to make this about myself, just... it would be nice if there were some actionable insights in there that I could put into practice. :smith:

Unsinkabear has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Mar 10, 2020

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
By the time I got to college I stopped building friendships with men because I was sick of the macho bullshit and endless misogyny. I never did form another friendship with a man after that.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Unsinkabear posted:

Have you made any more progress in the male friendship department since reading said book?

All the men in my core friend group struggle with this. And despite all of us knowing that about each other, we still haven't made much progress. Over the years I've ended up much closer to the women in the group, because I really only connect through heavy conversations and it's just more natural to have those with them. Luckily the boys are saint-level fine with me being besties with their partners, but my wife is not.

I don't mean to make this about myself, just... it would be nice if there were some actionable insights in there that I could put into practice. :smith:

Honestly? Not nearly as much as I wish. But it hasn't been zero progress either. Since I read the book in early January, I've managed to have some conversations with one of my wife's male friends, and I came out of them feeling okay. He seems like a good guy, doesn't act arrogant or anything, and his daughter is best friends with my daughter, so there's opportunity there. I just need to actually reach out to start conversations, which is something I always struggle with. My wife suggested we invite their family over for dinner sometime, but with the boomer flu threatening to topple Seattle, that's gonna have to wait.

The only man (aside from my dad) I consider a good friend lives in Montana, and I trust him because he doesn't try to hide his vulnerabilities. We rarely talk though, and I think it's because we're both relatively open with each other, and that uncomfortability makes us reluctant to reach out to each other.

I told my dad about the book, and he immediately went and got a copy from the library. After reading the intro he reached out to me and thanked me for bringing it his attention. My dad's a very contemplative man, and the most kind and compassionate man I know, and he grew up under a total rear end in a top hat of a father and with 4 macho brothers. He wants to have a long conversation with me about his father next time we meet, and I think it'll be good for the both of us.

Dick Trauma posted:

By the time I got to college I stopped building friendships with men because I was sick of the macho bullshit and endless misogyny. I never did form another friendship with a man after that.

I think it was about three years into college when I simply gave up forming relationships with men. I just got so tired of having even the most basic conversations dominated by machoistic posturing.

reptilians
Sep 2, 2018

thehandtruck posted:

Would you mind sharing what kind of meditation you're doing or what steps you take/what your goals are with it? It's interesting to hear that it doesn't relax you but helps you deal with things.

Right now I mostly do noting, which is where you briefly focus your attention on whatever you're currently experiencing and give it a simple label (I just label everything as seeing/hearing/feeling based on whether the experience is somatic, auditory, or visual). My guess is that it helps because you're practicing seeing everything as transient sensory and mental processes instead of the default of disembodied things that will ruin your life.

I started learning to meditate after I got to a point where I was OK from like a medical perspective (like I was employed and didn't want to kill myself) but I still felt like it was impossible to ever not be completely unhappy with my life, and it was something I tried to deal with those feelings that gave me some small, incremental improvements.

When I first learned to meditate I practiced breath awareness and never really found it relaxing. It would just make me very aware of all the anxiety and tension in my body. But a lot of people seem to be able to sit for a few minutes watching their breath and get something out of it, so I don't know what to make of that.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Re: meds, only you and your doctor can know for sure what to try. I would discuss the types of meds with them and see what they think. I know literally zero about BPD and how to treat it medically, but it sounds like SNRIs are ... not it. You may want to ask about pure SSRIs or even atypical antipsychotics. The latter are the ones us bipolar folk use to help with depression without triggering mania. Like I said tho don't get your heart set on any one time just chat about them and their benefits/problems to get a conversation going. The right one may still be out there.

IDK if I'm misrepresenting myself here, we're definitely doing that. I've tried over 20 different ones over ~16 years. It's just a slog since you have to stick with them a while to rule them out. Sometimes it's a little easier to rule one out with bad side effects, if anything I appreciate this round - it's the ones where nothing happens and you have to keep waiting to see if anything else happens that are the worst.

Thanks for the book rec Martian, that sounds focused in the right places. CBT was good for functioning socially in society to the point I basically don't need treatment for anxiety or PTSD anymore, but I've known for a while DBT is gonna be needed for the Big Violent Man stuff.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
I've made major progress in the last few months and i almost feel mentally healthy but the past week I've been feeling really loving guilty that I am doing well while covid is spreading and the economy is crashing. Not to mention the base anxiety caused by a particularly uncertain future.

I know it's silly and completely false but it almost feels like the worlds getting worse as I get better.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Dreddout posted:

I've made major progress in the last few months and i almost feel mentally healthy but the past week I've been feeling really loving guilty that I am doing well while covid is spreading and the economy is crashing. Not to mention the base anxiety caused by a particularly uncertain future.

I know it's silly and completely false but it almost feels like the worlds getting worse as I get better.

If you can't save yourself, you can't save anyone. That's what I have learned these last few years. Focus on saving yourself and always remember that you are worth saving. Then figure out the rest. I know it sounds selfish, but the fact that you know what struggle gives you empathy and makes you far better than all the assholes wrecking the world. You will not become like them.

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Not feeling so great here about the covid and empty cargo ports and shaky tumbling economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

This is from Alameda County Behavioral Health Services on coping with the current epidemic.

**** Managing emotional health during uncertain times ****
Alameda County Behavioral Health (ACBH) continues to actively engage in our Health Care Services Agency planning for impacts and uncertainties associated with COVID-19, and what these actions may mean for ourselves, families and communities. ACBH has developed the following guidance for engaging with individuals who might be impacted from a behavioral health perspective.

Information sharing:
• It is important to share factual data or updates; particularly related to approved universal health precautions already identified by the CDC such as frequent hand washing, use of hand sanitizers, using your elbow while coughing/sneezing, seeking medical care as needed.
• Making statements regarding potential case scenarios or possible catastrophic impacts to the community are not helpful and actually increase stress and anxiety.
• Everyone who sees or experiences an emergency is affected by it in some way. Normalizing this experience can be both affirming and helpful to an individual.
• Remind individuals to write down and share approved universal health precautions so they may be accessible and easily shared with others.

Self-care strategies for professionals, caregivers, or community members
To ease emergency related stress:

• Talk with someone about your feelings - anger, sorrow and other emotions - even though it may be difficult.
• Do not hold yourself responsible for the event or be frustrated because you feel you cannot help directly in the work.
• Take steps to promote your own physical and emotional healing by healthy eating, rest, exercise, relaxation and meditation.
• Use existing support groups of family, friends and religious institutions.